Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #661
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by livelovesole View Post
Thank you alot for the information. I do plan on running a twin scroll setup, sorry for not metioning earlier and I'll deffitnitly look into/ consider the gtx35. First time building something to this caliber, want to be safe. Do you think springs are necessary on a P12 head for my power goals? Assuming their supertech det springs that you use.
I think the P12 head is just an expensive piece of hardware that doesn't benefit you in anyway shape or form over a P11 head with the same cams. I have yet to see flow numbers for a P12 head. The only thing that supports this claim are the components in the head and slight changes in the casting. They have weaker valve stems(smaller diameter), require custom spring retainers and are more expensive to acquire. The only benefit are the cams are much better than the P11's but that doesn't matter if you're swapping them anyway.

You will need to upgrade your valve springs. You can run the factory P12 springs with the P11 inners for a cheap upgrade. They experience valve float in the higher Roma without an upgrade.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #662
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I think the P12 head is just an expensive piece of hardware that doesn't benefit you in anyway shape or form over a P11 head with the same cams. I have yet to see flow numbers for a P12 head. The only thing that supports this claim are the components in the head and slight changes in the casting. They have weaker valve stems(smaller diameter), require custom spring retainers and are more expensive to acquire. The only benefit are the cams are much better than the P11's but that doesn't matter if you're swapping them anyway.

You will need to upgrade your valve springs. You can run the factory P12 springs with the P11 inners for a cheap upgrade. They experience valve float in the higher Roma without an upgrade.
This is 100% on point, I never recommend the P12 cylinder head due to the aftermarket available for it. A P11 head can easily out perform the P12 especially with our CNC porting that we offer.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #663
candyred_240sx
Leaky Injector

candyred_240sx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
thats excellent. i'd love to see a dyno run! is your engine just sleeved and bored out or stroked also?
Thanks man.

I will post up the dyno sheet tonight. The block is sleeved, 87mm bore with 91mm stroker crank.

At this power before with a non sleeved block the cylinders ovaled
candyred_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #664
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:

Agreed for the most part. For example; P12 head has the 5.5mm exhaust valves vs the 6mm valve. Also, the casting for the P12 head seems to shroud the valves a bit more (it seems the P11 head is better in this regard, but it may still be hit or miss as sometimes the cast would shift during manufacturing).

However, all depends on what the owner wants to run.
P12 head comes with the CAS, coil packs and the valve cover (about $600 in value by themselves). So once you sell everything else off associated with the 6spd FWD and internals (pistons/rods, etc), if one wanted to keep it simple, all you would have to do is go Nismotronic and done. John with the Camo S14 made well over 1000WHP and ran deep into the 8s, used Nismotronic until this year, when he switch to Haltech.

Also, a gentleman did do a flow bench test of a P12 vs a P11 head as recently as of last week (I have the images and flow numbers somewhere). However, he switched out the 5.5mm exhaust valves for the 6mm (which anyone turbocharging this setup will do). As it turns out, the P11 did better up top but fell short a few cfm below .250. The gentleman mentioned the valve shrouding being an issue (and ofcourse, the thicker valves as a good amount of flow is gained from going to a skinnier valve).

Either way, you can't go wrong with either livelovesole. Just make sure you lay out your plan of action, as that can be a $500-$1000 different in prep work (I think the machine shop quoted me $125 + parts for new valve guides (it didn't matter if it was 5.5 or 6 as the work is the same) and redoing the seats). In addition, the P11s do have problems with exhaust valve guide leakage in particular, so I would address those if at the machine shop as cheap insurance.

EDIT 1: Inlet manifold should be the same cost throughout and you can run the P11 dual valve springs (from Supertech) and be just fine if you end up with a cheap P12 head.

EDIT 2: P12 has better cams than the P11.

EDIT 3: With the P12 swap, you will need the P11 oil pimp spacer (P12 is two piece, P11 is correct one piece shorter spacer)

In all honesty, if I was to do it again, I would buy a P12 full swap, sell everything not related to the RWD swap, drop in P11 supertech spring and 6mm exhaust valves, slight deshroud and run nismotronic.

Last edited by RalliartRsX; 05-01-2017 at 11:54 AM..
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #665
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyred_240sx View Post
Thanks man.

I will post up the dyno sheet tonight. The block is sleeved, 87mm bore with 91mm stroker crank.

At this power before with a non sleeved block the cylinders ovaled
dang. i'll have to be careful. I'm running 87mm pistons (CP VE pistons), no sleeves, but I'm only aiming for just over 500whp on pump gas.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #666
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
dang. i'll have to be careful. I'm running 87mm pistons (CP VE pistons), no sleeves, but I'm only aiming for just over 500whp on pump gas.
There are plenty of people deep into the 600's on factory sleeves, albeit I'm unsure of their bore size. You should be fine.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #667
candyred_240sx
Leaky Injector

candyred_240sx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There are plenty of people deep into the 600's on factory sleeves, albeit I'm unsure of their bore size. You should be fine.
When this happened to me Mazworx informed us that they have seen this happen with factory sleeves before.

I would assume stock bore or .5mm over is safer but with a 87mm bore the chance of failure is there.

Like you said he should be fine at that power level but if you plan to crank it up you may run into issues.
candyred_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #668
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
P12 swap wound up being cheaper than doing a P11. Comes with the CAS so you don't have to buy that or do hall effect and then I sold the cams out of it for more than I could have gotten for P11 cams. Winds up being even more cost effective over a P11 if you want to stay with the P12 cams unlike the N1s I switched to.

Then I used Manley DET single springs and valve seals from a GA16DE. It was cheap.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #669
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyred_240sx View Post
When this happened to me Mazworx informed us that they have seen this happen with factory sleeves before.

I would assume stock bore or .5mm over is safer but with a 87mm bore the chance of failure is there.

Like you said he should be fine at that power level but if you plan to crank it up you may run into issues.
yeah I have a top-tier engine builder and a very reputable machine shop so I should be good! gonna run 110 octane any time a really crank up the boost too (track/drift use)

Quote:
Old 05-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #670
1gr8bar10der
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (77)
1gr8bar10der is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 77 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600supersport View Post
With torque being the issue for the clutch, I opted for the Comp twin disc and it's great on track, but I'd seriously consider the spec stage 5+ next time for the likelihood of a much smoother and more streetable feel with a significant torque capacity, but I haven't tried one yet and I don't street or track the car THAT often. It'd be nice if the car was a bit gentler on the stop & go stuff. I guess I'd expect that single to have a higher chance of overheating after some hot laps than the twin would, but that's pure speculation and I'm not out slipping the clutch a lot or kicking it like crazy either so it's a tough call.

Stiff coilovers, stiff mounts and a twin disc clutch are more physically demanding on me after cruising around for a bit, but they're amazing once you're out on track.

Nice job btw candyred. What transmission and cams are you using?
Thanks for the info. My power goal right now is around 500, which is very minimal compared to most people on here lol.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:13 PM   #671
600supersport
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
600supersport is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The Sr20/Sr22vet thread

Seems like a bunch of us in here have relatively similar setups. Anyone ever share timing maps?
600supersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:56 AM   #672
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
P12 swap wound up being cheaper than doing a P11. Comes with the CAS so you don't have to buy that or do hall effect and then I sold the cams out of it for more than I could have gotten for P11 cams. Winds up being even more cost effective over a P11 if you want to stay with the P12 cams unlike the N1s I switched to.

Then I used Manley DET single springs and valve seals from a GA16DE. It was cheap.
What are the open and closed pressures for those springs? I've got a set of supertech singles I'm planning on using with my p12 head.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #673
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewantkouki View Post
What are the open and closed pressures for those springs? I've got a set of supertech singles I'm planning on using with my p12 head.
I think something like 50 and ???. They are lower than the P11.

The link I posted above, take a look through it. It has all those details at the bottom
Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #674
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewantkouki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
I think something like 50 and ???. They are lower than the P11.

The link I posted above, take a look through it. It has all those details at the bottom
Where are you getting 50 from? Closed is 90lbs, open is 185-225lbs. 248lbs/inch.
http://www.manleyperformance.com/sc/...r20_kits.shtml
Old 05-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #675
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

I was referring to stock spring pressures
Old 05-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #676
livelovesole
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
livelovesole is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thank you so much for the great info guys. I just happened to run into a P12 head first so I jumped on it. Brndck: I planned in running the mazworx intake plenum And E85. I was thinking that it would of been better insurance to upgrade the valvetrain but wasn't too sure yet. Ralliart: do you think keeping the 5.5mm intake valves is best then?
livelovesole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #677
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Thank you so much for the great info guys. I just happened to run into a P12 head first so I jumped on it. Brndck: I planned in running the mazworx intake plenum And E85. I was thinking that it would of been better insurance to upgrade the valvetrain but wasn't too sure yet. Ralliart: do you think keeping the 5.5mm intake valves is best then?
The stem of the valve isn't the concern with the P12 heads, it's the neck of the valve(4.5mm) which can stretch with the added heat of a turbocharged engine.

Inconel or SS valves are the best when it comes to heat management. Sodium filed play a role in longevity, typically used in OEM applications but do have a limit to heat tolerance, usually 1600*F.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #678
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
The stem of the valve isn't the concern with the P12 heads, it's the neck of the valve(4.5mm) which can stretch with the added heat of a turbocharged engine.

Inconel or SS valves are the best when it comes to heat management. Sodium filed play a role in longevity, typically used in OEM applications but do have a limit to heat tolerance, usually 1600*F.
Jr has it spot on! The neck is actually 4.5mm. This is all to aid in flow and valvetrain weight which ends up being a downfall when dealing with heat.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #679
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I assume some of you guys are using aftermarket throttle bodies. Are any of you guys using the one Mazworx provides or a different brand?

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #680
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia123 View Post
I assume some of you guys are using aftermarket throttle bodies. Are any of you guys using the one Mazworx provides or a different brand?
I have a q45 90mm one, but I'd love to have a ross or something that was cleaner and shinier.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2017, 02:27 AM   #681
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Fyi last time i checked . Mazworx only make a manifold for the p11 head not p12 !

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:03 AM   #682
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Double post

Built thread sr20vet s14
Old 05-05-2017, 06:52 AM   #683
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs14kouki View Post
Fyi last time i checked . Mazworx only make a manifold for the p11 head not p12 !
No, we make them for both the P11 and the P12/20V.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #684
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post

my bad !!! Good stuff Hanz

Built thread sr20vet s14
Old 05-06-2017, 02:30 AM   #685
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
Maybe you can help me with this question. What valve springs do you run with the P11 head for turbo? 115? or 138? I remember a few years ago Mazworxs warned about using the 138's because they were showing abnormal wear on the cams? I just don't want to spit a shim out if I bounce off the limiter @9k with N1 cams.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #686
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
Maybe you can help me with this question. What valve springs do you run with the P11 head for turbo? 115? or 138? I remember a few years ago Mazworxs warned about using the 138's because they were showing abnormal wear on the cams? I just don't want to spit a shim out if I bounce off the limiter @9k with N1 cams.
A lot of people run the 9Xlbs springs. Anything over the 12Xlbs cause abnormal wear and really aren't needed.

The Factory P11 springs are actually stiffer than the P12 springs. Cam profiles, particularly ramp profiles play a large role in what spring rates are necessary too.

This page has a list of valve spring seat pressures. http://pulsar.org.au/forums/showthre...l-advise/page3
Old 05-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #687
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
kind of off topic but i figure this is where the guys with the most power hang out so would be the best place to ask

is the comp clutch white bunny 6 puck good for 400ish whp? or is there anything better out there in the same price range?
Old 05-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #688
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988montecarloss View Post
kind of off topic but i figure this is where the guys with the most power hang out so would be the best place to ask

is the comp clutch white bunny 6 puck good for 400ish whp? or is there anything better out there in the same price range?
I preferred the RPS Max Street clutch. You can get it in a 6puck, I ran it with a full face disk at 360whp. Multiple passes at the drag strip, 30k miles of daily abuse. Sold it with plenty of life left on it.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #689
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
A lot of people run the 9Xlbs springs. Anything over the 12Xlbs cause abnormal wear and really aren't needed.

The Factory P11 springs are actually stiffer than the P12 springs. Cam profiles, particularly ramp profiles play a large role in what spring rates are necessary too.

This page has a list of valve spring seat pressures. http://pulsar.org.au/forums/showthre...l-advise/page3
I have 120psi supertech spring in my head

I built my engin with most of the parts that are in my friend sr24vet from mazworx

We took the engin appart lots of time for inspection and no damage to the cams what so ever after 3+ years in fd usa

Oil : redline 20w50 fyi

Built thread sr20vet s14
Old 05-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #690
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs14kouki View Post
I have 120psi supertech spring in my head

I built my engin with most of the parts that are in my friend sr24vet from mazworx

We took the engin appart lots of time for inspection and no damage to the cams what so ever after 3+ years in fd usa

Oil : redline 20w50 fyi
Has he ever spit a shim out?

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote