Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #241
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
LOL Speed sensor BS seems to be the trend these days Dude- that bugger was IN THERE huh? Holy crap!

Anyway, I wonder if it may be worth it to you to put a coat of Rustoleum around the top-hat portion of the new rotors... I did it to mine back in 2009 (long before I ever installed them) and they are still in great shape...
Man you arent kidding. I was seriously starting to get frustrated and thoughts of possibly having to pull the trans out were dancing in my head...

The rotors are cadium plated, so they shouldn't flash rust like the last rotors. I've had the fronts on(same coating) for 4-5years and haven't seen any rust forming to date. Otherwise, I would've done just as you stated. I did it to a prior set, man does it stink up the house when you bake them in the oven.

Quote:
OH, one last thing: If you ever want a new molded carpet for the cabin, visit here . The lady that runs it was super-cool when I called; their prices are lower than everyone else's for the exact same stuff... I ended up getting the Essex carpet (Same shit as Vettes, Caddies etc)... Beautiful quality, 40% more fiber than std cutpile and was great for keeping it quiet in there...

Obviously, you just spent mucho tiempo cleaning the one you have and getting her back together... but maybe something for you to refer back to in the future.

Loving your build as usual man... Going downstairs to reverse the polarity of my own VSS signal now; thanks to this BAMF I met on a car forum
I've looked at replacement carpets before, but I wasn't happy with fitment qualities. Thanks for the heads up though if it becomes an issue in the future. My carpet is extremely clean(now lol), but aside from that one spot on the cat hump, there are no flaws. That spot fortunately is covered by my floor mats. Out of sight out of mind right?

I'm hoping that's all the issue is with your VSS, I had the same problem on my last build.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #242
Moncef
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Moncef will become famous soon enoughMoncef will become famous soon enoughMoncef will become famous soon enoughMoncef will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Amazing build. Glad you're taking advantage of VVL. Great work on the details, especially the wiring and interior work. Looking forward to seeing the shape of that power curve.
Moncef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #243
Mrjbrown07
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Mrjbrown07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This just makes me sad about my build = ( I mean it SOOOOO CLEANNNNN haha
Mrjbrown07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #244
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
* I got a chance to mess around with the car some more this weekend. My Haltech boost control solenoid showed up Friday, so I got that mounted where I want it. I just need to solder the signal wires together, sleeve them and run vacuum tubing.

* I also picked up a battery so I could go about testing everything that was modified, lengthened or changed. I'm not really concerned with having a super light battery, so this was what I chose. It's heavy, I know, but it serves it's purpose. So far, everything has checked out and seems to be good to go. I have yet to plug in my ECU or prime the fuel system, as there is still some work to do.

* I did that, so I could do this... Low-beams in the first picture, High-beams in the second. Glad that the highs work, I'll have to do a write up for those that don't have working highs on the EDM headlights. All turn signals, markers, brake-lights, etc. work, which is a huge relief.

* Some time last week, I cut down my waste-gate dump tube and welded up a section of SS interlock hose to it. I enjoyed the open waste-gate cacophony for the first couple of months my last setup was on the road. After that, it was annoying and obnoxious, so I want to plumb it back into the exhaust this time. I'll be plumbing it down stream of all the sensors and the exhaust venturi as to not disturb flow. I have yet to complete it, hopefully I find the time this week.

* I also modified the factory ECU bracket to bolt my PS2000 into. I haven't test fit it in the car just yet, but it shouldn't be a problem.

As always, thanks for looking...
Old 06-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #245
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
great idea with the ecu mount. i think i'll try that out with my vq ecu.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #246
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Apex Eight is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Your build is awesome. I really like how you decided to repaint the bay the original color. Keep up the good work man
Apex Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #247
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I LOVE this build...accidentally stayed up the whole night reading this honestly! lol

I also plan on a VET build for my Zenki but I will be going with Mazworx longblock to save some build time. I look up to this car and can not wait to hear videos of it finished. Good luck!
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #248
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Awesome job on that bracketing- the way you did it looks totally OEM! I got annoyed with mine and just padded the PFC into the kick panel nice and tight lol!

Also, I will eventually go top-mount... But like you; am not a fan of that degree of noise; so I am anxious to see how you go about plumbing the dump tube back into the exhaust...

Amazing as usual Glenn! SO many great ideas in this thread...
Old 06-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #249
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
great idea with the ecu mount. i think i'll try that out with my vq ecu.
I like it because it lets you retain the factory kick panel plastics. My E8 was mounted like this as well and you cant tell anything has been modified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Eight View Post
Your build is awesome. I really like how you decided to repaint the bay the original color. Keep up the good work man
Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ 21o3 View Post
I LOVE this build...accidentally stayed up the whole night reading this honestly! lol

I also plan on a VET build for my Zenki but I will be going with Mazworx longblock to save some build time. I look up to this car and can not wait to hear videos of it finished. Good luck!
Mazworx is a bit pricey but they do amazing work. I've been to their shop a few times, pretty cool stuff going on in there.

Quote:
Awesome job on that bracketing- the way you did it looks totally OEM! I got annoyed with mine and just padded the PFC into the kick panel nice and tight lol!

Also, I will eventually go top-mount... But like you; am not a fan of that degree of noise; so I am anxious to see how you go about plumbing the dump tube back into the exhaust...

Amazing as usual Glenn! SO many great ideas in this thread...
Thanks Mike, I still have a long list of things to check off and probably some things that I've overlooked.

**************************UPDATE****************** *************

* I really like fabbing things up. I think my career and building this car have made me realize that. It's fun being creative and not having to pay anyone to build what you dream. It's also extremely convenient being able to go to the shop, cut some metal here, bend something over there and slap something together that looks good and is functional. I am not a professional by any means, but I think my skills have come a long way since I started messing around with this "stuff".

So, my exhaust dump tube is completed routed back into the exhaust. I had originally planned on having a V-band clamp on the end of the flexible interlock hose, but space constraints proved to be too tight for it to be an option. Oh well, it just makes removing the lower power of the downpipe slightly more tricky. I threw some heat wrap on it to keep some of the heat out of the engine bay and to protect the steering column, P/S lines, rack and vacuum line to the catch can.

* And it installed in the car...

* The Mazworx Z32 trans kit comes with everything need but an option to seal the cabin/trans tunnel once you modify it to fit. I had a piece of .125" rubber mat installed underneath the plate and ran rearward to seal everything up however I wasn't happy with how it was, so I reinvented the wheel.

I took another piece of sheet, cut the hole so that is was a tight seal to the shifter itself and pushed it down over it. Once positioned, I took some aluminum flat sheet and riveted to the sheet metal of the car on the rear most portion of the tunnel. This seals the sides and back of the hole I had to cut for the trans shifter. I could've gone a step further and put some sealant underneath of it, but I do not intend to drive this car in the rain often, if at all.

The Dakota Digital is to alter the signal from the Z32 speed sensor to read on the factory speedo. I will use a GPS to verify/step my speed to so I can help "prevent" trouble with the 5-0.

* My list of items to do... I've been slowly crossing them off. As of late that speed has increased dramatically.

* The most important part of the list...

* And just for the hell of it I decided to throw the Status bucket in the car. It's not bolted down and unfortunately I have to ditch the Status side mounts for the lower Planted ones because it is too high and the steering wheel would hit my thighs.

As always, thanks for looking.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #250
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Looking great man, can't wait to see this on a dyno
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #251
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Love this build.
Nice job on the routing of your external wastegate dump back into the downpipe.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #252
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Does being a BAMF hurt?

Also, do you have any pics of the clearance of the wastegate dump in relation to the steering column and anything else in there?

Those Status seats- are they comfortable, or more like straight-up racing buckets? They sorta resemble GT-R seats; which I really like.

Last edited by Mikester; 07-02-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Mikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #253
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Glad to see someone mentioning the Dakota Digital set up, please give us a good write up on that if you can!
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #254
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Love this build.
Nice job on the routing of your external wastegate dump back into the downpipe.
Why thank you Tom. When you going to come by and check it out in person? Those tension rods and EBC are waiting for ya...

Quote:
Does being a BAMF hurt?

Also, do you have any pics of the clearance of the wastegate dump in relation to the steering column and anything else in there?

Those Status seats- are they comfortable, or more like straight-up racing buckets? They sorta resemble GT-R seats; which I really like.
The Status seat is very comfy for the short amount of time I've sat in it and holds you tightly. If you have a waist larger than 32-34, it's going to be a super tight fit in the Standard Ring seat. They make the GT Ring for people with larger waists, I'm not insinuating anything with that either.

As for dump-tube/downpipe clearance pictures, ask and you shall receive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
Glad to see someone mentioning the Dakota Digital set up, please give us a good write up on that if you can!
I'll make one when I get a chance. It's pretty simple.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #255
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Wow that actually clears better than I had thought it would... Good stuff Glenn!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #256
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Are you trying to say I'm fat?
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #257
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
One of the better builds I've read in a long time. I'm almost convinced to go the VVL route now. And that engine bay, doe!
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #258
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I've been slowly picking away at the To Do List.

This weekend I managed to get the rear fenders rolled. I stopped where I thought was good. This is/was my first time rolling fender lips, so I took my time, used a heat gun to prevent any paint cracking along the edges and protected the paint with some painters tape. It looks like the passenger side wheel is "sunk" in more than the driver's side, but that could be because of the alignment. So, I'm going to leave it as is for the time being until I get the ride height and alignment squared away.

I also got a chance to get the seat permanently mounted. It came out extremely well but, I'm a bit unhappy with a few things. One, I ordered sliders so I could fine tune my seat position without having to drill a shit ton of holes and pull the seat out multiple times. Come to find out, the sliders I ordered are for use on the Status side mounts and the large 1-piece frame mount. I was never told this upon ordering of this piece. The Status side mounts and 1-piece frame mount lift the seat up too high even without the sliders and my thighs would've been in the steering wheel. OK, no big deal right? I'll purchase the 2-piece frame mounts and the Planted low side mounts, this way I can rock the sliders and position the seat lower so there is no interference, right? Wrong, the Status side mounts are narrower than the Planted side mounts and the slider lock lever is too narrow to actuate both slider locks with the Planted side mounts. So it was a crap shoot trying to get the seat at the right height while being able to adjust it where I wanted it after all was said and done. What it comes down to is, I spent unnecessary funds on shit that doesn't work. I'm going to call TougeFactory tomorrow and have a chat with them about this, but I have a feeling they "didn't" know anything about it.

I also filled the radiator up with fluid and to the best of my knowledge, purged all of air from the engine.

Once this was done I decided the car was in dire need of a bath. It probably hasn't seen the wrong end of the hose in a few years now, being that it has lived in the garage for the past 2.5years. So I pushed her out this evening and washed her down. I also clay barred the car while I was at it. The paint is definitely starting to show it's age and I will take care of that down the road. My main priority at this time is to get it up and running so I can do glorious burnouts.

I really dig this shot, such a sexy ass end...

I still have a few things to sort out and I'm waiting for the engine harness to come back from ChaseBays. I had a few minor changes/adjustments made to it. As always, thanks for looking...
Old 07-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #259
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Apex Eight is an unknown quantity at this point
That last shot is money! What kind of muffler is that? I love oval style mufflers
Apex Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #260
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
I love your build / car, seriously wish i had went ve-t, love the attention the detail. Cant wait to see this thing on the dyno.

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #261
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Just noticed your Aerocatch latches are installed properly too, one small detail that most people get wrong. Super clean build man!
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #262
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
My main priority at this time is to get it up and running so I can do glorious burnouts.
^^This^^

... so the rest of us can live vicariously through videos of said VET-powered burnouts~

Quote:
That last shot is money! What kind of muffler is that? I love oval style mufflers
Looks like a Super Dragger... but wouldn't be surprised if it's something equally BA
Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #263
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
The exhaust is a Fujitsubo Legalis R, don't see many of them stateside that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
I love your build / car, seriously wish i had went ve-t, love the attention the detail. Cant wait to see this thing on the dyno.
Thank you sir! I've been watching your build as well. You have some cool stuff going on over there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
Just noticed your Aerocatch latches are installed properly too, one small detail that most people get wrong. Super clean build man!
As usual, I appreciate the kind words good sir!

Quote:
... so the rest of us can live vicariously through videos of said VET-powered burnouts~

Looks like a Super Dragger... but wouldn't be surprised if it's something equally BA
Mike, see above for the exhaust. Yes, videos of said burnouts will happen. Perhaps with a few passes at the strip too, hopefully without output shaft failure...
Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #264
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

msglngth
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #265
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:

msglngth
Lol! I kid, I kid...
Old 07-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #266
Q.Smooth127
Zilvia Junkie

Q.Smooth127 is an unknown quantity at this point
Subscribing
So that dakota digital is needed to recaliber the speed sensor on the z32 tranny?
And bad ass job on that dump tube setup. Super sick man

And @onehundredoctane : i guess i musta installed my aerocatch hoodpins wrong as i put them the other way lol? I thought it doesnt matter which way the hoodlock thing opens as long as its getting a "good latch" onto the rod
Eh more you know i guess
Q.Smooth127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #267
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

SO when my car is finally 'finished,' I think a roadtrip to FL will be in order for some cruising, burnouts, spirits & fun~
Old 07-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #268
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Number 1 beach bar in Florida is right here in Venice.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #269
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
SO when my car is finally 'finished,' I think a roadtrip to FL will be in order for some cruising, burnouts, spirits & fun~
Sign me and the two-tone up, I'm only a couple hours away from Venice, FL.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #270
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.Smooth127 View Post
Subscribing
So that dakota digital is needed to recaliber the speed sensor on the z32 tranny?
And bad ass job on that dump tube setup. Super sick man

And @onehundredoctane : i guess i musta installed my aerocatch hoodpins wrong as i put them the other way lol? I thought it doesnt matter which way the hoodlock thing opens as long as its getting a "good latch" onto the rod
Eh more you know i guess
No, the Dakota Digital is not needed. There is a free way to make your speedo read correctly, it you want to solder on the back of your cluster. I purchased my kit before the solder method had been proven and in all honesty, I don't want to mess with the electronics on the back of my cluster.

Quote:
There really aren't a lot of fun roads down here to cruise on. They are few and far between. We can definitely cruise though and spirits would be necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Number 1 beach bar in Florida is right here in Venice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Sign me and the two-tone up, I'm only a couple hours away from Venice, FL.
We should get a big group together at some point. I'm sure there's more than just us guys that would like to get together and go cruising, BBQing and such.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

I'll take the time now to make a small update...

My harness came back from ChaseBays this past week. I got it installed and the intake manifold mounted for the last and final time. I'll be installing the injectors and reattaching the fuel lines at some point during the weekend.

I still need to wire my Bosch 044 and finalize the fuse box area. I'd like to try to crank the car over under battery power as well. Then it's on to checking out the Haltech and powering it up. I'll go through and setup all the sensor parameters and calibrations as well. I'd like to get it idling and some-what drivable so that I don't have to push it on to the trailer.

I have not chosen a tuner yet. I have a few phone calls to make to try and figure out what route to go with. I'm interested in who Mazworx uses as their local tuner for setups such as mine, because they will be more familiar with the setup and tune of such engines.