Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
voiddweller
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
voiddweller is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Advice Need on KW Variant 3 Setup for HPDE

I'm going to a HPDE next weekend with my RS-Enthalpy tuned SR20DET highport and would like some experienced advice on setting up my KWv3's. I'll be at Sebring. For those that have not been down here, I've attached a pic of the course:

I spoke with a KW representative and he provided the following advice for setup on my '97 240sx.

Adjustment w/S14:

- More rebound and less compression for street
- More compression and less rebound for track
- Linear springs on kit should not be negatively impacted by ride height adjustments

Some additional info: Martin was able to put down about 241hp at the wheels on 7lbs of boost. I'll be installing z32 calipers this weekend with 30mm vented rotors and Carbone Lorraine CR6E pads. Wheels are stock 16" SE and tires are crappy Bridgestone RE760's that I know are not even close to ideal for this type of thing, but they'll have to do until the next paycheck

For those running KW's or something similiar, please let me know what you recommed for a good starting point and the best procedure for dialing in the best settings.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Sleepy_Steve
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Sleepy_Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Sebring is bumpy as all hell. You're not running slicks, or even DOT R-Comps. Set your shit soft.

Run more rebound and less compression like you'd adjust for comfort on the street, but don't go too extreme in that adjustment. You don't want to make the car overly bouncy.

I won't comment on the rest.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
vehicle336
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
vehicle336 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You're not going to get much of a response from the fucktards here on Zilvia based solely on the fact that you're not running some cheap-shit knock-off coilovers like 99.98% of Zilvians.

However, you can ask here: Nissan Road Racing Forums - Powered by vBulletin

You should get some satisfactory answers there.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Sleepy_Steve
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Sleepy_Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vehicle336 View Post
You're not going to get much of a response from the fucktards here on Zilvia based solely on the fact that you're not running some cheap-shit knock-off coilovers like 99.98% of Zilvians.

However, you can ask here: Nissan Road Racing Forums - Powered by vBulletin

You should get some satisfactory answers there.
Fucktard here. I can confirm that NRR is the better place to ask about grip setup.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
You've gotta feel it out for yourself. I would agree that, since Sebring is super bumpy, your shock settings should be more like a street setup. But where you're best off in that range is pretty much impossible to answer. There are too many variables to even begin to answer your question as specifically as you seem to desire. Your shock settings aren't going to make much of a difference in lap times though. That's just a fine-tuning adjustment that must be made on the fly. If the car seems easily unsettled by bumps, drop the compression a little. If it seems bouncy at all up the rebound a little. This is something that you're going to have to play with yourself. I wouldn't waste much effort on it though. Just get the car to where it feels pretty good and concentrate on driving.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
voiddweller
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
voiddweller is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm just out to have some fun with what I have until I'm able to complete the build.

Thanks for the suggestions. I totally forgot about NRR. Very good forum.