Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
89hatchman
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
89hatchman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How fast do you improve?

So I've driven in 3 events so far, 2 with my current car. Its an SR20 in an 89 hatch, coilovers, and full suspension arm set up. How long until I get decent?

It seems that I've only learned a little bit from my 1st event to this past event in this car.

At the competition the judge commented "looks like he's just driving the track" since I wasn't getting sideways very well. But I was clutch kicking and e-braking as much as I could.
89hatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
ktm47
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
ktm47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
http://zilvia.net/f/motorsports-skil...-drifting.html
ktm47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
89hatchman
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm47 View Post
ya, I asked that one. But that was before I had drifted at all. Now I've driven in 2 events in my current set up and I've improved from before I drove but I'm still a pretty poor driver. I can't hold drifts or link drifts together. I'm wondering if this is abnormal and if most people improve by leaps and bounds or just minor things here and there.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
jdhariwal
Zilvia Junkie

jdhariwal is an unknown quantity at this point
Hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

In before the lock
jdhariwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
nvmd man, wait for it, wait for it....

Last edited by feito; 06-09-2013 at 10:18 PM..
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
s13livin
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (19)
s13livin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
these threads make me feel sick
s13livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
s13livin
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (19)
s13livin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma3BXYeAlUg
s13livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
StreetSweep
Leaky Injector

StreetSweep is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ lmfao!!! Best deofting video ever!!! He got SO good his first time around
StreetSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
StreetSweep
Leaky Injector

StreetSweep is an unknown quantity at this point
Drifting*
He's definitely a natural
StreetSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
206sx
Leaky Injector

206sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Slap on an "illest" sticker for more drifto
206sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
2.5T_/<ouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13livin View Post

LOLOLOLOLOLOOLOL

2.5T_/<ouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #12
cbcm2435
Zilvia Junkie

cbcm2435 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89hatchman View Post
So I've driven in 3 events so far, 2 with my current car. Its an SR20 in an 89 hatch, coilovers, and full suspension arm set up. How long until I get decent?

It seems that I've only learned a little bit from my 1st event to this past event in this car.

At the competition the judge commented "looks like he's just driving the track" since I wasn't getting sideways very well. But I was clutch kicking and e-braking as much as I could.
if after 3 events you cant drift you might as well just give up and sell your car
cbcm2435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Scope240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Scope240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
just go out and practice man!!
aint nothing to it but to do it
Scope240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
twinspool
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
twinspool is on the path to ruintwinspool is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Lol man it took me three events to be able to get through whole course sideways, just have to haul ass and feel it. It should be super easy to slide with that sr, I had basically stock sohc in my fast back with all suspension
twinspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
drod327
Leaky Injector

drod327 is an unknown quantity at this point
why do people think they wont get flamed for stuff like this.. hahaha
drod327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89hatchman View Post

So you've gone to 3 events, with NO prior driving experience AT ALL and you expect to be pro already. Do you even know how to heel-toe downshift? Do you know anything about an actual racing line? If you're just coming in straight blind with no driving skills it's going to take a while, like YEARS. This is why I always STRESS learning how to actually drive before you just jump right into drifting. Why not go to some regular non-drift track events first. Spend some time with an instructor in the car. Learn the basics of high performance driving before you jump into drifting. If you have no basic skillset to draw from it's going to be a long road. It sounds like you expect to just jump right in and get the hang of it straight away. It doesn't work like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm47 View Post
I guess once just wasn't enough...

racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #17
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Nothing new... You should hear the crap I get from some of my students...
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
ocn
Zilvia Member

ocn is on a distinguished road
HOW is this still open?
ocn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
InsTanCeZ
Zilvia Addict

InsTanCeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Why would you even enter a competition if you've never drifted before? lol and do you even have an LSD? That's pretty essential for drifting.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
Perfect Balance
Zilvia Junkie

Perfect Balance is an unknown quantity at this point
Go faster. If you can't drift with an SR20 you're doing it wrong. I wasn't able to link the entire course, but I was able to drift every corner successfully at my first event, because I learned about drifting and understood it and just went out and applied what I knew and it fit like a glove.

People who think you just need "seat time" are the people who have been drifting for 4 years and still only get "ok" at it. Or they reach a certain point and simply don't get any better because they learned bad technique and developed bad habits from day 1, and have only become good at drifting the wrong way. Like when you see a dude with a fully built drift car spinning out run after run and then find out he drifts with one hand on the steering wheel, and now he can't become any better because he's been doing it that way for too long to change without relearning everything....

Learn how drifting works, the physics behind it and how it's done, and then go apply it. You'll find that everything just clicks and you'll progress quickly.
Perfect Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
89hatchman
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsTanCeZ View Post
Why would you even enter a competition if you've never drifted before? lol and do you even have an LSD? That's pretty essential for drifting.
Its a welded diff. I only "entered" the competition because these past two events were competitions. I entered mainly for the practice time before and after those competitions. My options were enter the competition for the practice, or sit on the side lines for 3 months waiting for the next practice day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Balance View Post
Go faster. If you can't drift with an SR20 you're doing it wrong. I wasn't able to link the entire course, but I was able to drift every corner successfully at my first event, because I learned about drifting and understood it and just went out and applied what I knew and it fit like a glove.

People who think you just need "seat time" are the people who have been drifting for 4 years and still only get "ok" at it. Or they reach a certain point and simply don't get any better because they learned bad technique and developed bad habits from day 1, and have only become good at drifting the wrong way. Like when you see a dude with a fully built drift car spinning out run after run and then find out he drifts with one hand on the steering wheel, and now he can't become any better because he's been doing it that way for too long to change without relearning everything....

Learn how drifting works, the physics behind it and how it's done, and then go apply it. You'll find that everything just clicks and you'll progress quickly.

Well, thats another problem I have. My sr20 may be a shithole, some dude that rode with me was surprised I had my foot to the floor. I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't getting full power out of it.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #22
Bambi
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Bambi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Props to OP for having the balls to make these threads and then actually do shit like enter a contest for practice time and despite not knowing how to drift. I couldn't embarrass myself like that.

At least OP is committed. Just a little lost and misunderstanding of drifting and driving in general it seems.
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
It's impossible because I tried once. Took out 4 telephone polls and a girl scout concession stand. All the thin mints and samoas couldn't even be salvaged.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #23
MidwestMyriad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
MidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her selfMidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
You should be improving at a rate of 3.7 per event.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #24
vehicle336
Zilvia Member

vehicle336 is an unknown quantity at this point
Drifting, like all motorsports, is a form of advanced car control. Driving well is driving with absolute control and understanding of all facets of how a car handles. Want to be good a drifting? Get better at car control and start understanding all facets of what it means to drive competitively. There's a reason why guys like Mike Essa and Dai and McQuarrie and several other good drivers in FD are good. They all have backgrounds in motorsports. Fuck, next event will see the intro of a fucking Indy car driver.

Stop being a bitch about your slow learning pace and start driving at any and all types of events. AutoX is cheap, and within 3 events you'll officially be a better driver than an old Asian lady, which is where 99.9% of the general populace actually is. Spend a day out at a real track not drifting, look up NASA and SCCA and go do something that isn't just you failing at drift. Get your goddamn driving basics up to par first before wasting time drifting. If you can't understand baasic weight transferring techniques why bother drifting?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #25
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
everyone above me has a point

20 bucks says OP that your turbo is blown or seized! when mine did it felt like i was running on 23hp hahaha

seriously though nothing amazing happens overnight man... the more events you go to and the more practice you put in the better you will become.. at that event did you at all ask people around what techniques they use? learn heel toe downshifting, and shift lock maneuvers to improve your driving...in almost every place i do coarse driving at my first round/ lap is a soft study lap. to get a feel for the coarse and decide which driving lines will work for me best.
my 240 broke down..again
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
Jesus_lopez405
Leaky Injector

Jesus_lopez405 is an unknown quantity at this point
No such thing as dumb questions, just dumb threads.
Jesus_lopez405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #27
dluevanos01
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
dluevanos01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Anyone notice the tow hook on the car? ahaha
Old 06-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #28
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:

I'm sorry for adding to the non sense but this is just hilarious.

you know your life sucks when you can't even make a turn like that, let alone you trash your wheel that bad, and try to drive off!!

but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #29
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
HOW is this still open?
Open differential?
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #30
silva.240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
silva.240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
my first question to 89hatchman is.......? how old are you, how long have you been legally allowed to drive? and have somebody who knows "mechanics" check out your car. i'm assuming you obviously didn't build the car nor have been driving much. I suggest go find a local go-karting ring and spend time there drifting/ driving.
just me .02 cents
silva.240 is offline   Reply With Quote