Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Western States

South Western States Arizona, California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
bluevelvet
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
bluevelvet is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OBD1 or OBD2

i know this may seem the wrong section to post but since i live in SoCal i figured i would ask my fellow Californians first..

i dont have a 240 yet.. but i want to build a 93 coupe or something along those lines.. dont want a Hatch.. im also building a KA24DE Engine.. (after i find one) goals are to be in the 500hp club..

thanx for your help.. i searched and really didnt get any info or anything that was concrete atleast..
bluevelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
bluevelvet
Leaky Injector

Also anyone know where i could get this bodyKit?

Old 06-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
s13boy89
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
s13boy89 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13boy89
lol if your balling you could get that kit also s13 do not have obd 2 motors unles someone else put it there
Old 06-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
bluevelvet
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13boy89 View Post
lol if your balling you could get that kit also s13 do not have obd 2 motors unles someone else put it there
Define Balling?.. lol how much $$$ do you know?

ok.. so S13 have OBD1 if i want to put a newer KA engine on it assuming its from a 97 or so.. would i have to convert it to OBD2 or can i just convert the engine to OBD1? which option would be best?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
silvia13oSO
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
silvia13oSO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
youd have to convert the harness and all to OBDII.. there certain sensors for the 97+ KA's that the 93 KA's dont have... i believe its mostly emission controls...
silvia13oSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
s13boy89
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
s13boy89 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13boy89
what you can do is just change the intake manifolds i believe i have a 98 in my car
and the rocket bunny kit http://www.tra-kyoto.com/6666/s13/s13.htm
Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 AM   #7
VertTwins
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
VertTwins is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The engines are different, but as said you can make it work by swapping a couple parts however the valve opening time and duration is different for an obd2 engine. The cams are different. If you are concerned with smog you may have a problem passing due to elevated HC or NOx. If you do use the newer engine but want to remain obd1 [no evap or cat monitering to set of engine light] it would be wise to get or have a tuned ecm to compensate for the cam duration/timing.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
FrankDukes
BANNED

FrankDukes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelvet View Post
Also anyone know where i could get this bodyKit?

Hahaha, you couldn't get this "6666 Rocket Bunny GT RODEO" kit if you had money and sold your soul. It's a unicorn of a bodykit. Even if you were in Japan, you'd still couldn't find it and not even if you had some leverage over the Yakuza.

So the answer is hell no.

Secondly, if you don't have a 240sx yet, work on a stock KA24de and try to get it to run perfectly and stoichiometricly before you mess with a 500hp KA.

If you can't figure out MAF, IACV, or don't know what the ohms on a bad injector is, i suggest you start easy.

"Wait, you just can't climb in the ring with Ali 'cause you think you box!" ~Fast and Furious 1.
FrankDukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #9
FrankDukes
BANNED

^^ Here's the deal. If you have to ask on how to do a 500hp KA, then you're not even near ready to do it.

It's like asking what can I do to buy a Ferrari type of question.

If you had to ask, then you're not ready. Not to be mean but a very unrealistic question to ask. And if you were in the middle of doing such a project and were asking for options or advice, then we'd probably would give you a lot of info.

But if you're asking one of these useless theoretical questions that you will never attempt to do, then there isn't much help here.

First, GET a DOHC 240sx. Drive it around for 6 months. Fix any issues that it may incure. Then buy another KA24de or use the one in the car.

Make a budget list using Excel.
Make a parts list.
Research a lot
Find good machine shops.

Before you can even attempt a 500hp machine, make sure you have the MONEY.

You are looking at over $5,000 dollars just in parts and up to $10,000.

HP=$
More HP = More $

Don't even start thinking about this 500hp KA until you have at least $5,000. Or years of buying and piecing it together.

If you have rich parents, that make Hundreds of thousands or millions i'd like to be your best friend. But the chances are you're not.

In addition, if you don't know about the Rocket Bunny 6666 GT RODEO kit, then you're just not not not ready.

Lable this a very NOOB question.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
MannylovesLian
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (5)
MannylovesLian is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDukes View Post
^^ Here's the deal. If you have to ask on how to do a 500hp KA, then you're not even near ready to do it.

It's like asking what can I do to buy a Ferrari type of question.

If you had to ask, then you're not ready. Not to be mean but a very unrealistic question to ask. And if you were in the middle of doing such a project and were asking for options or advice, then we'd probably would give you a lot of info.

But if you're asking one of these useless theoretical questions that you will never attempt to do, then there isn't much help here.

First, GET a DOHC 240sx. Drive it around for 6 months. Fix any issues that it may incure. Then buy another KA24de or use the one in the car.

Make a budget list using Excel.
Make a parts list.
Research a lot
Find good machine shops.

Before you can even attempt a 500hp machine, make sure you have the MONEY.

You are looking at over $5,000 dollars just in parts and up to $10,000.

HP=$
More HP = More $

Don't even start thinking about this 500hp KA until you have at least $5,000. Or years of buying and piecing it together.

If you have rich parents, that make Hundreds of thousands or millions i'd like to be your best friend. But the chances are you're not.

In addition, if you don't know about the Rocket Bunny 6666 GT RODEO kit, then you're just not not not ready.

Lable this a very NOOB question.
hahaha! ouch!
Be Nice Guys!

Sike! hahaha!
MannylovesLian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
brokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDukes View Post
Hahaha, you couldn't get this "6666 Rocket Bunny GT RODEO" kit if you had money and sold your soul. It's a unicorn of a bodykit. Even if you were in Japan, you'd still couldn't find it and not even if you had some leverage over the Yakuza.

So the answer is hell no.
Actually... the answer is "yes, you can get it". Contact member Teknolust (think that is the correct spelling). He's still importing these. Was too expensive for me to end up doing, considering I ended up being able to get a supermade kit for the cost of the Rocket Bunny front bumper... one of these days... The Rocket Bunny kit costs just under $2000 to import here, fyi.

And as for the OBD1 or OBD2. If you are building an engine & putting it in an s13, there is no reason to go OBD2. And if you are building a 500hp KA, there is no reason to worry about emissions, lol.

It's okay to dream big, but keep your goals realistic.

First things first: buy a 240.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
FrankDukes
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeAs240sx View Post
Actually... the answer is "yes, you can get it". Contact member Teknolust (think that is the correct spelling). He's still importing these. Was too expensive for me to end up doing, considering I ended up being able to get a supermade kit for the cost of the Rocket Bunny front bumper... one of these days... The Rocket Bunny kit costs just under $2000 to import here, fyi.

And as for the OBD1 or OBD2. If you are building an engine & putting it in an s13, there is no reason to go OBD2. And if you are building a 500hp KA, there is no reason to worry about emissions, lol.

It's okay to dream big, but keep your goals realistic.

First things first: buy a 240.
I stand corrected then.

Well, like I said before, if you have $$$$ then almost everything is possible. For an individual to do a 500hp KA and get a Rocket bunny kit, is just not plausible or likely.

I mean, there are such things as good and absurd questions.

"Hey guys I want to build a 8 second 240sx as well as one that can drift GOOD." What must I do?"

"Hey I want to know if I can turn my Honda Civic into a RWD and put an SR in it."

I think it is a waste of time to entertain these people.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
bluevelvet
Leaky Injector

Damn first thread and already I got flamed.. Lol.. But its all good I understand all ur points

Guess I like learning the hard way... But my answer was given to me tho.. OBDI is the way to go for my project

I did a bit of research and so far estimate 7k on built engine... I figured out cams aand rods and pistons knife edge crank

I noticed a popular turbo is a borg warner S362 which doesn't cost much nd is good for 500hp

I know what 500hp feels like just not on a import... Lol

As far as the rocket bunny kit I'm guessing its in the 5k club right?

And no I'm not building it in a week or month.. But over a years period..

Reason for wanting to build engine first is because with engine built finding a rolling chassis isn't so hard

Or getting one with a blown motor..... I see coupes and hatchs go for 2k in here in running condition so getting a car isn't the issue

But now that I'm more educated in this 240 ring ...

What turbo top mount manifold do YOU guys recomend for the lng haul.. I know there are $100 ones to 1k
But I would like to get some feed back from u guys..

Note this car won't be a DD
Old 06-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
a properly done crank is roughly 1500...and i mean full service on the bad boy...

mind you most of the questions ur asking are ridiculous repeats from other members that u can find from fucking searching the forums and asking questions in thread already mad...

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
bluevelvet
Leaky Injector

DALAZ chill foo... If I'm asking is because I searched and even then there is no personal imput all there is are websites on where to get the parts..

I'm not new to forums

Full seviced as in knifed balanced and micropolished?

If you can't help out then Don't POST.... If its that difficult for you to give ur opinion then get out the thread

No need for ur anal-ness
Old 06-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #16
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Quote:
DALAZ chill foo... If I'm asking is because I searched and even then there is no personal imput all there is are websites on where to get the parts..

I'm not new to forums

Full seviced as in knifed balanced and micropolished?

If you can't help out then Don't POST.... If its that difficult for you to give ur opinion then get out the thread

No need for ur anal-ness

my opinion is tha this thread is pointless in the sense that
A. Get the car

B. its in the wrong section, this should deff be in the chat section.

C. u need to learn how to search, and or pick up a phone if u have questions

D. post questions in already open threads and/or hit up the one building said car personally or thru emails

E. theres countless other like it about people wanting to build a motor to hold XXX amount of HP

F. its not difficult to give my opinion, im just pretty sure u dont wanna hear it

G. im pretty sure u didnt search very well since ur nto the first to want to build a motor, god knows ur question has been asked more than a dozen times in one said forum...if u arent so new to forums then u should know how the search functions and PM's system works...

H. have fun babe

Old 06-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #17
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
wood engine mounts ftw.
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #18
bluevelvet
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantwoforty View Post
wood engine mounts ftw.
lmao.... really? hahaha
Old 06-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #19
bluevelvet
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
my opinion is tha this thread is pointless in the sense that
A. Get the car

D. post questions in already open threads and/or hit up the one building said car personally or thru emails

E. theres countless other like it about people wanting to build a motor to hold XXX amount of HP

F. its not difficult to give my opinion, im just pretty sure u dont wanna hear it

G. im pretty sure u didnt search very well since ur nto the first to want to build a motor, god knows ur question has been asked more than a dozen times in one said forum...if u arent so new to forums then u should know how the search functions and PM's system works...

H. have fun babe
alright.. thanx point taken... will do..

at least this post helped..

sooo.... if i get a list together of how i plan on executing the build and the route i plan on taken.. will i then get help? i asked in this section mostly because i felt being that i stay in Cali maybe i could get people who live out here to suggest shops or places to get parts from.. some whom maybe i dont know of and what not.. i know i can go on the marketplace and just get stuff there but if i could go purchase it in person It would be tons better.. at least for me..
Old 06-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #20
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Quote:
alright.. thanx point taken... will do..

at least this post helped..

sooo.... if i get a list together of how i plan on executing the build and the route i plan on taken.. will i then get help? i asked in this section mostly because i felt being that i stay in Cali maybe i could get people who live out here to suggest shops or places to get parts from.. some whom maybe i dont know of and what not.. i know i can go on the marketplace and just get stuff there but if i could go purchase it in person It would be tons better.. at least for me..
its pointless for you to try and fined shops now, simply because theyll try and change ur mind about shit ur tryin to do, from either pistons or cams to fuck it just get an SR which most shops who dont know jack shit about boostin the KA (Which originally isnt intended for boost will do). Find the info, find the parts, start looking for shops...atleast thats how i do it...

Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #21
bluevelvet
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
its pointless for you to try and fined shops now, simply because theyll try and change ur mind about shit ur tryin to do, from either pistons or cams to fuck it just get an SR which most shops who dont know jack shit about boostin the KA (Which originally isnt intended for boost will do). Find the info, find the parts, start looking for shops...atleast thats how i do it...
if thats how you do it.... what shops do you frequent to get work done?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #22
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Quote:
if thats how you do it.... what shops do you frequent to get work done?

thelast couple of shops i got work done wernt motor related just simple routine shit i didnt have time during work weeks...

last motor i got work done was on an MR2 and shit that was 3-4 years ago lol...

Old 06-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #23
jorge1190
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
jorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
www.ka-t.org :: View topic - Sticky: DOHC Turbo For Dummies
jorge1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #24
leash
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
leash has much to be proud ofleash has much to be proud ofleash has much to be proud ofleash has much to be proud ofleash has much to be proud ofleash has much to be proud ofleash has much to be proud ofleash has much to be proud ofleash has much to be proud ofleash has much to be proud ofleash has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My first tip is to just read up on everything.

And if you are still unsure of which direction to head, go to one of the 240 car gatherings. A lot of the time owners will give you really good tips and you could physically see some of the various directions people take with their cars.

I personally would recommend building as mush of it on your own since you have time and this isn't going to be a daily driver. And I agree with DALAZ_68 about how a lot of those tuner shops will try to get you to go either SR or RB.

Here is a good KA webpage if you haven't already been there:
KA-T.org - The Home of 1000+ whp/7 sec Turbo KA's

There is no such thing as gravity, the world just sucks.

Last edited by leash; 06-12-2009 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Been beaten to the link XD
leash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #25
bluevelvet
Leaky Injector

thanx fellas.. i appreciate your help..

DALAZ.. sorry if i was a dick with you at first..

ill check the meets that are going to see if i can make out to a few in these next few weeks for summer break

Initially i wanted to do a RB26 but then i figured it would be a pain in teh butt to do..
and in the end i figured why not build a KA... i feel that SR's have become the staple swap for 240's and i wanted to bust out with something different or not as common atleast..

KA-T.org is a great site i found a bunch of info on their site.. the one page that i cant seem to find is where they had a list of all the turbo manifolds that are out there along with the websites and prices..

thanx a gain fellas.. ill keep you posted on how this thing works out for me..
Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #26
FrankDukes
BANNED

Quote:

Initially i wanted to do a RB26 but then i figured it would be a pain in teh butt to do..

and in the end i figured why not build a KA... i feel that SR's have become the staple swap for 240's and i wanted to bust out with something different or not as common atleast..

LOL. Everyone was a noob once and we all wanted the RB26dett. Then as we all became more educated and just learned about our cars and life, we figured that it's a dream build.

I think that you should make reachable dreams.
The first thing that you need to do is to find a clean 240sx.
I think now a days the odds of finding a clean and virgin 240sx for a good price is as hard as trying to do a RB26dett.

There are so many variables that are against you my friend.

Variables:
1. Clean 240sx for a good price
2. Money for an Engine.
3. The know-how to do it
4. The assistance of doing the wiring and TUNE
5. Machine shops that knows what they are doing
6. Money.
7. Time
8. Money
9. Time
10. Money
11. Time
12 And finally, Money and Time.

It would take you about 1-2-3-4 years to do this KA 500hp and assuming you work on it every day. It takes weeks to machine parts, it takes weeks to order parts, it takes weeks to get money, it takes months to do research, it takes months to tune, it takes years of working on cars and a lifetime of know-how.

So again as many people suggested, GET a 240sx first.

And please use my advice. Get a 240sx, get that car to run perfectly, once you mastered that, you can move on.

**Even the best mechanics, the best tech heads, sometimes can't even get a KA to idle properly, so if you can get the car to idle at 750 (+/- 20) and have the timing at 20* BTDC and all the Injectors ohms at 11.1 (+/-.3) and dozens of other diagnostics specs, then you could move on**

Take this as your first FLAME, and in the future, you'll understand all this and you get to FLAME on noobies that want a Twin Turbo Ka24de producing 750hp and does a quarter mile in 8.5 seconds.

Almost everything is possible, but is it plausible, reasonable, economical, logical, actual, relevant, or just TALK?

Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #27
bluevelvet
Leaky Injector

I must agree... I am getting a car first... I guess getting an engine forst and then building it before I get a car of which I have no previous knowledge isn't the right way to
Goabout this project...

Thanx guys for the input good or bad its something I can build upon..

Are there any amateur drift events aside from Anderson Motor Speedway in Riverside?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #28
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
for events look at the motorsports section.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #29
bluevelvet
Leaky Injector

Thanx dream
Old 06-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #30
s13skank
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
s13skank is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A. Get the car

H. have fun babe[/quote]

And he is 110% correct
s13skank is offline   Reply With Quote