Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-28-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Serious problems while installing J30 LSD. NEED HELP AND ADVICE

Well I bought a pre 95 J30 LSD with halfshafts from a memer on here and finally got around to installing it last night. Before I installed it I wanted to make sure I had all bases covered and I asked alotta questions on here and I even posted pics of it here to make sure it was the right LSD. Well here's what I ran into last night installing it. I do have the halfshafs BTW.

1. The LSD itself is ATLEAST 1.5" to long. Meaning the driveshaft would have to be shortened.

2. The rear mounting points are completly different. The stock open diff has for this LSD has 2 that are HUGE. The size of them is not the problem(I could drill it out) but the spacing between them is also off.

3. The front 2 mounting points are ALSO spaced too far apart to work(a good half inch)

4. There is a tube at the top of the LSD that I assumed my open diff would have but doesn't and there is also some sort of sensor wire thing coming off of the front behind the front mounting points.

Here is the link of my previous post with pics that I took of the LSD. I really need some help here I don't wanna totolly loose my ass on this. And I really need LSD. Any advice guys would help.
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...ht=confirm+lsd

Thanx
Mel
Old 06-28-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
1) Of course it's longer, the snout has to make room for the ABS sensor, though it's not 1.5". Closer to an inch, and there's room in the drivetrain for it. 99% of people can get it in without issue, you may need to loosen the motor and transmission mounts as a last resort, but it's rare.

2) Should be exactly the same. All 93-97 J30 diffs as well as 90-96 Z32s ans the S14 use the same rear cover design, two studs going into bushings pressed in the subframe.

3) Do you have the J30's bushings, washers, and hardware? You'll need it all for a proper install. Sounds like they're missing.

4) All diffs have the vent tube up top, if yours does not have it then someone before you removed it. No reason why, but you don't have to use the exisitng one, the J30 diff has it so use it.
The sensor is the ABS sensor, you don't need it unless you have ABS. You knew that, it's beeen discussed so many times it should be law by now.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #3
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
1. Ok so I should be able to fit the extra length then?

2. Yes there was 2, but they were spaced different then were it mounts to on the car. Do I need to swap the cover from my open diff?

3. I don't have the bushings. On http://www.ka24development.com/vlsd.html it says the buchings arn't neccessary if I ge the longer blots and the bigger washers, which I DO have.

4. The vent tube it there, thats all good. Sorry, I really wasn't aware of the ABS sensor issue.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
TheSparo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
TheSparo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TheSparo
ok, regarding your #2 question, click on the link and read the first post under yours, by me...
Old 06-28-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSparo
ok, regarding your #2 question, click on the link and read the first post under yours, by me...
So i do need to swap the diff covers then. And it all fits and everything? How did you accomidate for the extra length of the diff?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
g2ic02
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
g2ic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to g2ic02 Send a message via MSN to g2ic02
there should be enough play in the drive shaft....I read that somewhere.
g2ic02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
TheSparo
Zilvia FREAK!

TheSparo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TheSparo
yea there is, if it fits in there it will be fine, it doen't need to be loose, it may be a little difficult, but it will be fine. if the bolts work then put them in
Old 06-28-2005, 11:48 AM   #8
Wei240
Nissanaholic!

Wei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really nice
yeah, all you need is the 6 bolt outer flange and 2 longer bolts for the rear, as well as swap covers, pretty straight forward

cheap plug
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...188#post754188
and yes, it's direct bolt on, comes w/ 6 bolt outer flange and i'll throw in the 2 longer bolts... it even has the rear cover for the s13...
Wei240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:43 PM   #9
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Now I just need to clerify one more thing. When we say "swap the diff cover" are we talking about the rear portion of the differential or the whole outter housing? I'm assuming we mean the whole outter housing. Because if not then there is still the problem of the front 2 moutning pounts being too far apart.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #10
SirWarrior
Zilvia Addict

SirWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
you can swap all the guts if you want to. they will fit.
But he meant just the rear cover.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:05 PM   #11
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWarrior
you can swap all the guts if you want to. they will fit.
But he meant just the rear cover.
Well like I said. If I do not swap all the guts and just the rear cover the front mounting holes don't line up.

But the guts WILL fit, huh?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:14 PM   #12
Wei240
Nissanaholic!

Wei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed
Now I just need to clerify one more thing. When we say "swap the diff cover" are we talking about the rear portion of the differential or the whole outter housing? I'm assuming we mean the whole outter housing. Because if not then there is still the problem of the front 2 moutning pounts being too far apart.
it's the rear cover, as in rear portion of the cover, why would you change the whole housing? it's more work than you would want... for that amt of work, buy a clutch/mech diff...
what 2 mounting points are you referring to?
the only thing that doesn't fit is the rear cover as mentioned (and the 6 bolt outer flange), then it's all gravy...

another shameless plug:
man, junk what you have and just buy mine it's plug and play, has rear cover, 6 bolt outer flange and the 2 longer bolts req'd...
Old 06-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #13
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

I'm talking about these mouting points. I measured them and they seemed off too.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:07 PM   #14
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
I put a 93 J30 diff and axles into a 98 today, direct fit. Sounds like you're putting this into an S13, are you? Otherwise it is a direct bolt in without any other work, that's the 9th or 10th one I've done recently. There really shouldn't be any issues.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 06-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #15
Wei240
Nissanaholic!

yeah, the 2 bolts for mine fit in perfectly, no issues...
from a 96 j30 (w/abs) to s13 (no abs)
Old 06-28-2005, 05:36 PM   #16
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Ok yea guys let me be more clear on this and maybe we're missing something.

I have a 1990 S13 hatch and trying to install a pre 95 J30 LSD and having the issues listed above. What's differerent?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:54 PM   #17
Wei240
Nissanaholic!

dunno where you're going wrong, as far as i know,
all j30's (i think) would bolt on to s13, you'll just need:
1. 6 bolt outer flange (if it does not already have - such as the 96)
2. 2 longer bolts for that 2 hole that you've already pointed out with the red arrow
3. rear cover needs to be swapped out (j30 will not fit, just swap the one on your open diff, on your pic, its the cover towards the top of your picture, it has 4 bolts sticking out that bolts on to the car/subframe, the cover itself has like 8-10 smaller bolts...
Old 06-28-2005, 06:03 PM   #18
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei240
dunno where you're going wrong, as far as i know,
all j30's (i think) would bolt on to s13, you'll just need:
1. 6 bolt outer flange (if it does not already have - such as the 96)
2. 2 longer bolts for that 2 hole that you've already pointed out with the red arrow
3. rear cover needs to be swapped out (j30 will not fit, just swap the one on your open diff, on your pic, its the cover towards the top of your picture, it has 4 bolts sticking out that bolts on to the car/subframe, the cover itself has like 8-10 smaller bolts...

Ok, MAYBE we measured wrong, but the guy I was working on it with is sure(I was there with him and we did measure carefully) that the points on the J30 LSD are a lil bit wider then the stock open diff. I have the 5 star outputshafts becasue again this is a pre-95 J30 LSD.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:56 PM   #19
projectRDM
Post Whore!

The front portion of the diff is the EXACT same for all S13/S14/S15/J30/Z32NA.

That's not an issue.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:42 AM   #20
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA
The front portion of the diff is the EXACT same for all S13/S14/S15/J30/Z32NA.

That's not an issue.
Ok I guess I'll remeasure to make sure. Like I said the guy that I was working on it with(which is were I work on my car at) is convinced that they are different. And he's also still convinced that there isn't enough play in my driveshaft.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:35 AM   #21
SirWarrior
Zilvia Addict

SirWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Stop listening to him.
Just swap covers and show him that he's full of it!
Old 06-29-2005, 10:02 AM   #22
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Ok I'm going to do it at another guys house who's allready did an LSD swap and an SR swap himself. So jopefully it works out then.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:17 AM   #23
wutangben
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
wutangben is making a name for him/her selfwutangben is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wutangben
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed
Ok I guess I'll remeasure to make sure. Like I said the guy that I was working on it with(which is were I work on my car at) is convinced that they are different. And he's also still convinced that there isn't enough play in my driveshaft.
the guy's an idiot, you'll be fine... just do it.
wutangben is offline   Reply With Quote