Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #31
Acreus
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Acreus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yeah, but all that wire! too much of a head ache for me. I just need the engine to go when i step on the gas lol. as for the rest of the car, ill be running a switch board. i want to compete in some of the local competitions, so im gonna race car it out.
Acreus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
Dorifto87

Trader Rating: (0)
Dorifto87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any updates???
Dorifto87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #33
Acreus
Leaky Injector

The Vq35hr ecu requires three different plugs. Two of which comes from the engine harness, and one that comes from the dash harness, which also has the OBD plug. these and the gas pedal with pig tails is needed for the engine swap. Just got the dash harness in the mail. it's actually a lot harder to find parts for this thing lol. Also, picked up the power steering pump and the power steering lines.

Right now, I really want to get this engine swap BAR'd. that means i gotta get keep all the emissions equipment on and fully functional. So i still have to collect the evap canister, and fuel pump. right now i have everything else.

Has anyone successfully BAR'd a vq35hr swap in a 240sx in california?
Old 11-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #34
Acreus
Leaky Injector

For anyone doing this vq35hr swap, I have figured out a way to not have to modify exhaust manifolds, starter and even avoid getting custom mounts that go for $500+. well, aside from tranny mounts that is. but those are easy to make. I know there have been some people out there that even took great lengths as to make their car right hand drive just because of this. The solution I found that will work best, is to mock up a crossmember from a g35 who had the hr motor, using stock vq mounts, and vq35hr steering rack. This works because the stock vq steering rack is a few inches wider that the 240sx rack, so the rack goes around the starter and around the exhaust manifold. By using the original vq crossmember, your able to use the original mounts, which make the motor at this point a straight drop in. That is so long as you make your measurements for the crossmember to mount up to your frame rail correctly.

here's what the crossmember looks like as a whole
you can see where i was already cutting to make it look like the 240sx crossmember

here's the cross member with the mounts, and the steering rack

and finally here's the test fit in my s13 just to get the measurements for holes that I
will need to drill.

Now before you get into drilling and mounting, you'll need to weld some aluminum plates on the part where you drill your holes to make the new crossmember mount flush with your frame rails.

I'll post pics of that once I get it done.

I was lucky enough to have gotten this crossmember and the steering rack with all the hard lines when i got this motor. This definitely saved me alot of $$$ on mounts, and custom fab work. Also, I will now have a newer steering rack.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #35
Biggamehit
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Biggamehit will become famous soon enoughBiggamehit will become famous soon enoughBiggamehit will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Biggamehit Send a message via MSN to Biggamehit Send a message via Yahoo to Biggamehit
are you goign to go with the whiteline swap bar for clearance?

Facebook: Pink Ranger Drift
Biggamehit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #36
nd240sx3
Zilvia Junkie

nd240sx3 is a well-known jackass
Send a message via AIM to nd240sx3
hey man great idea.... i must say i never would of thought of that... mine was quick and easy being my only car was in a time crunch. unable to really do any R&D. RHD swap is pricey, good thing was i had good friends in the right places and had the rhd swap done fairly cheap... but now that u have accomplished this in another more reasonable way, if i ever decide to do the swap again i will definitely be contacting u... please if u would! make a template and specs of hole and cut placements, spacers etc... awesome job... thanx for the input...
nd240sx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #37
TheFresHesT
Leaky Injector

TheFresHesT is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you tested out that cluster before I was looking into the same one but wasn't sure if I would like it or not. I'm trying to put a vq37 into my 98 240sx
TheFresHesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #38
rik boellen
Leaky Injector

rik boellen is an unknown quantity at this point
good job!!
rik boellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #39
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Another great VQ swap thread.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #40
Acreus
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggamehit View Post
are you goign to go with the whiteline swap bar for clearance?
Not sure which sway bar ill be using yet. will figure that out once the motor is sitting in the car
Old 11-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #41
Acreus
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFresHesT View Post
Have you tested out that cluster before I was looking into the same one but wasn't sure if I would like it or not. I'm trying to put a vq37 into my 98 240sx
I have sourced a G35 cluster which i will be running in my set up.

looks just like this.

i'm going to do the best i can to get this cluster to give out as much info as the it does in the g35 like doors, oil, engine temp, etc...
Old 11-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #42
first_choice
Leaky Injector

first_choice is an unknown quantity at this point
tough cluster
first_choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #43
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
quick question about this crossmember Idea. If you are using the G35 steering rack and its a few inches wider what are you doing to correct your tie rod geometry? As it is seriously widening the tracking on the front of the car, unless you find extremely short tie rods to put on.

Oh and while thinking along those lines what about the pick up point for you lower controls is that wider as well? This idea looks great except for suspension geometry questions.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #44
Acreus
Leaky Injector

conveniently enough, the OEM inner tie rods on the g35 steering rack are really short. I used s14 outer tie rods, and they end up being the same length. Then, i centered both s14 and g35 steering racks, and compared the distance they go left and right. They have the same exact amount of steering play! perfect.

as for the crossmember, I decided to go a slightly different route. I will be using my original s14 crossmember. The reason being, i became very skeptical after machining the g35 crossmember and part of the aluminum chipped off. O_O I soon imagined hitting a pothole or something in the road and my crossmember cracking/breaking leaving my motor on the ground. so im fitting the g35 steering rack onto the s14 crossmember. will still solve the exhaust and starter getting int the way problem. as for mounts, i found a set of conversion mounts. It's possible to still go this route if you use a 350z crossmember that is metal.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #45
jt1583
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
jt1583 is making a name for him/her selfjt1583 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
that gauge cluster in there is gonna be absolutely awesome. got more pics of the car?
jt1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #46
rwtf
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
rwtf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
sweetsauce dude, def looks like you got alot of work ahead of you, hopefully it all goes smooth sailing.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #47
Acreus
Leaky Injector

So far i have everything i need for the swap. except my evap canister. Because it's part of the emissions, and i want to get it bar'd, I need it. Unfortunately when i ordered the evap canister from ebay, it got "lost", and now im waiting for a new one to come in the mail. i will post picks of the motor going in soon! thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #48
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreus View Post
conveniently enough, the OEM inner tie rods on the g35 steering rack are really short. I used s14 outer tie rods, and they end up being the same length. Then, i centered both s14 and g35 steering racks, and compared the distance they go left and right. They have the same exact amount of steering play! perfect.

as for the crossmember, I decided to go a slightly different route. I will be using my original s14 crossmember. The reason being, i became very skeptical after machining the g35 crossmember and part of the aluminum chipped off. O_O I soon imagined hitting a pothole or something in the road and my crossmember cracking/breaking leaving my motor on the ground. so im fitting the g35 steering rack onto the s14 crossmember. will still solve the exhaust and starter getting int the way problem. as for mounts, i found a set of conversion mounts. It's possible to still go this route if you use a 350z crossmember that is metal.

very cool. This would actually be a good thing to do in the S13. One would assume that using the G35 or 350Z steering rack might also make the DE swap into the S chassis even easier.
Another question, what are you doing about overall engine height. Our experience was we had to modify the crossmember for the oil pan so we drop the engine down enough to clear the hood.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #49
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
updates??

I got my VQ35HR from the old S13 race car into my S14 finally. Wiring to commence over the next few weeks.

***NASA HPDE Instructor***
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #50
Acreus
Leaky Injector

Sorry guys, dont have much updates just yet. Got custom mounts, and im planning on pulling the KA motor out of the s14 in the next two weeks to drop in the vq so i can measure for the driveshaft. post pics soon
Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #51
Jissan
Zilvia Member

Jissan is an unknown quantity at this point
Great thread! This has helped with a lot of questions I still had since I'm planning this swap in my S13 coupe. I picked up a wrecked 2007 Nismo 350Z off Copart and I think I'm going to try to put the Z steering rack on the S13 Xmember and fab up some mounts. This will take care of the starter motor/steering rack issue and the fact that my current rack is full of metal filings from a bad power steering pump (previous owner, thanks a lot).

I'm doing a lot of reading and will try to make a build thread about my car but since I have an entire donor car, I don't think my thread will be very helpful to most people. If I'm lucky it will just be a 350Z crammed into an S13 How-To.
Jissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #52
Acreus
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jissan View Post
Great thread! This has helped with a lot of questions I still had since I'm planning this swap in my S13 coupe. I picked up a wrecked 2007 Nismo 350Z off Copart and I think I'm going to try to put the Z steering rack on the S13 Xmember and fab up some mounts. This will take care of the starter motor/steering rack issue and the fact that my current rack is full of metal filings from a bad power steering pump (previous owner, thanks a lot).

I'm doing a lot of reading and will try to make a build thread about my car but since I have an entire donor car, I don't think my thread will be very helpful to most people. If I'm lucky it will just be a 350Z crammed into an S13 How-To.
Awesome! I can't wait to see how it goes. your lucky you have the entire car. I had most of the engine and chasis harness, but there where a few things missing that i needed to make it all work with the emissions. im trying to get it BAR'd out here in California. It's going to be tough, but not impossible.

when you start it, post a link here!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #53
Acreus
Leaky Injector

Here's how I figured about building the rear end for the proper gear ratio in the differential.

http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/330704...nversions.html

^ great thread!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #54
Arteeste
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Arteeste is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Any updates ?
Arteeste is offline   Reply With Quote