Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #31
blackdragon328
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
blackdragon328 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Imarvin: researching it...yes it looks like a good idea and its not tons expensive, but it means imma have to grab some money from my valvetrain..so I have to see where I can cut.

everyone else: lol, I knew I'd get jumped on if I put it up to 12K... I don't have enough research to have a perfect idea but I was really looking for a high revving motor, and it may not go that high since I want a mid level powerband. BUT, thats part of the reasoning behind the carrillo I-beams. Like I said though, no research behind it yet...so I'm just lookin at what I WISH I could do. anyway, reality is im lookin at 9k or so right now. well leave the rest for later I don't have enough research done yet to accurately comment.

I'm goin down to G-dimension tomorrow. I really hope that my block/head will be back or I'm going to be making a very angry phone call to the damn machine shop who has had it for about 2 months now.
I'm also gonna talk to James (the owner and main mechanic) about the advice from y'all and see if he agrees and where we'll modify things.
and lastly, I will take some cool pics.

oh one big question to anyone. what do I look under for VVL parts.... if I remember correctly its the head off of a Nissan Pulsar correct?
blackdragon328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 AM   #32
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
You look for parts from an SR20VE. The P11 head is what you're looking for. There is a P12, but I don't believe anyone has swapped that head over yet. The easiest route to get everything in one shot would be to purchase an SR20VE swap from an engine importer.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #33
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Some AUS guys have done the swap with the P12 head. I can't remember his name but it's a white 180sx.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #34
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
some suppliers can get you P12 stuff. On my current setup on my P11 head, I am running P12 cams, P12 cam angle sensor, and P12 valve cover. Everything bolts up no problem.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #35
blackdragon328
Zilvia Junkie

Hey guys, so I went down to G-dimension today and showed James this thread so we could discuss the suggestions on it.
the primary conclusion is that we are going to build the head...its easier to do it now then later, and it'll make my s14 just that much nicer. it also means we have to reshim everything...which is going to suck. but that's life.
And we are indeed going to use VE pistons, thanks to all who pointed that out.

The motor is not back from the machine shop BUT its done. its just sitting there till we actually start the build (there is a 2 cars ahead of mine that are almost finished). oh...and of course we r gonna have to re-machine the head since its getting bigger valves now so it'll take a second longer, but its still worth it.

in the meantime I just did some small jobs on it like the front bumper, tow hook and such, and we test fitted the rims which barely fit under the fenders. (oh and yes...I know its a weird choice of rim, I happen to like it, at least for now).

and I'm also getting in a couple parts to start stiffening the entire car as much as possible. I'mma try to get some of the ultra racing braces if there is a few bucks left in my bank account once this stage of the build is finished.

lastly, imma go back down there on friday to install the rear bumper and see if the motor MIGHT be back, although I think it'll more likely be there next week sometime. If anything new pops up I'll make sure to take a pic of it.

here are some new pics with a better camera this time.

front end, there is a bunch of dust on the car so it doesnt look its best but thats fine

test fitting the rims

a better quality pic of the interior

Parts waiting to go in

brembo brake setup off an R33

Used rear strut bar, not bad looking, decently beefy and pretty light

stance sub frame bushings to replace old rubber? ones, donno if they are rubber but they feel like it and are worn as hell

DC sport front strut bar

Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #36
blackdragon328
Zilvia Junkie

Wow gents, well this was a good start and then it ended abruptly when it took FOREVER to get my project going (my mechanic had a lot of work to get done before mine).

here is some new pictures (finally)., they arnt great but they will have to do for now as my camera isnt the best.

here is the head, upside down after we redid the entire thing

underside of the block after it was all cleaned up

kinda sad looking block with pistons missing

block with the vvl pistons in it

the motor partially built with the mazworx manifold on it

long block done

exedy carbon dual clutch (donno why it looks so nice...sadly no one will ever see it)

long block in s14

we stuck the mazworx manifold on just for fun for a second...it looks gorgeous

new intercooler...donno what brand (I'll have to ask my mechanic, he ordered it) but if he bought it it should handle the power were looking for

a pic of the full widebody setup

took off the evo wing and ordered a low profile rocket bunny wing, and got some Spyder LED lights on the rear

in the interest of being able to control a few more things we went with a switch panel....now imma have to find a new place for the radio (probably the glove box...)

we also took care of the harness by junking it and getting a new one in there...

so the project is now in full swing. ill try to keep up with updates now that its moving forward.

as always, feel free to tell me anything but dont bother trash talking...I like negative feedback when it is informative.

thanks in advance
Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #37
blackdragon328
Zilvia Junkie

I've been playing with transmission ideas as well. I don't know if I really want to keep the SR20 one, but I also dont know which one to get. I wish I had the cash for the OS giken Sr20 trans setup but the truth is...I dont, so maybe....vq tranny? vk tranny? VG tranny?
who has suggestions for me. I know mazworx has a VG tranny kit, I THINK someone has a VQ tranny kit out there...
Imma look this up but im open to suggestions on what works and what doesnt. I do know someone has a mazworx VG kit for sale on here for $500 (w/o driveshaft) right now so im tempted.....
Old 09-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #38
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Mazworxs has a VQ to SR swap too. The VG 5 speed would be easier tho. I can't tell from your pic but does the Intake manifold clear the fuse box with the throttle body on it?

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 09-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #39
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
Mazworxs has a VQ to SR swap too. The VG 5 speed would be easier tho. I can't tell from your pic but does the Intake manifold clear the fuse box with the throttle body on it?
Their new design is suppose to clear the S14/15 fuse box. I know their first manifold didn't(the one I have in my build. It was their prototype IM for VVL for the masses, previously installed in the blue hatch).
Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #40
blackdragon328
Zilvia Junkie

we actually got sent an S13 manifold so we had to send it back, but I'm unsure whether were gonna have to move the fusebox to another location yet. I dont think the manifold will be the problem, I think the 90mm throttle body might be though...but hopefully we dont need to move anything.

I took a look at both the VQ and VG swap. I need to figure out which transmission is stronger but both are viable options. either way with how much cash I need to drop, its going to be a bit, but I want the research done so when I DO get the cash its a full go.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #41
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Vq 6 speed ftw
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #42
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Both transmissions have been known to hold upwards of 1k hp. The Z32 trans has softer syncros and start to show there issues with age. If the trans is freshened up, it'll be good to go for a long time. I believe it also has better gearing for drag racing than the Z33 unless you change your rear end ratio to better suit that transmission. The Z32 transmissions are available for extremely cheap as well compared to the VQ.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #43
blackdragon328
Zilvia Junkie

hmm, good data.

I have read that the Z33 tranny is not geared right and that it is better to change the rear end. I have ZERO idea how difficult it would be to change the rear end to a 350Z one but somehow....I dont think I care to do it, sounds difficult. on the plus side, they are newer than Z32 ones.

for the Z32s, the problem is that they are older so need rebuilding, but that I can deal with (or have someone deal with...I hate transmission rebuilds). BUT good side, its cheaper, easier, and it seems like the Z32 doesnt need as much modifying to the housing as the Z33.

does anyone know if mazworx runs either a z32 or z33 tranny on one of their cars, since they make the kits for it.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #44
blackdragon328
Zilvia Junkie

oh and here is the snail inside the car, we placed it in a few days ago and are now working on redoing ALL of the intake and exhaust lines.

one problem with this....the damn exhaust manifold is suuuper close to my master cyl and my brake lines.. I have a turbo blanket going on the turbo, as well as a shield going on the master cyl. I hope that will be enough but as always im open to suggestions

I also dont like where the VVL line setup is (far left), im going to put it somewhere else I think.... I just wanna put the manifold/throttle body on first....then we see if we have to relocate the fuse box and after that I'll see where the VVL lines are gonna be run to.

Last edited by blackdragon328; 09-07-2012 at 12:48 PM..
Old 09-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #45
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

I'm going to get a custom exhaust manifold made for mind to put it on the bottom. I hate when the turbo sit so close to the brake MC too.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 09-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #46
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
I'm going to get a custom exhaust manifold made for mind to put it on the bottom. I hate when the turbo sit so close to the brake MC too.
Any DET manifold should/could/would work on the VVL head, just some food for thought.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #47
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

It will work if you open up the bolt holes so you can adjust it right to match up with the ports. I already have a VE flange for the manifold .

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 09-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #48
smartoss
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (8)
smartoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
You might want to verify those are the correct sub-frame bushings, the off set holes I believe are for putting a s14/s15 sub-frame in the s13 chassis.
smartoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #49
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartoss View Post
You might want to verify those are the correct sub-frame bushings, the off set holes I believe are for putting a s14/s15 sub-frame in the s13 chassis.
you are correct, sir.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #50
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Yes cause I need the same ones
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #51
blackdragon328
Zilvia Junkie

I was looking at doing DET manifold but I opted for a full race VVL one instead. what I dont understand is how full race could make a manifold thats so close to the mc... I would have thought it would have been better engineered.

as for the subframe bushings...that would suck, but I got them new from stance so I guess I'd have to send them back. thanx for letting me know though, I'll take a look into it asap.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #52
blackdragon328
Zilvia Junkie

a few new pictures, the setup is getting really close to done...as usual its taking forever but thats how projects go. I think were about to hit (or have just hit) the 1 year mark since the beginning of the project. its almost, almost there, just need the injectors (1000cc) the fuel rail (sitting around...cant put it in till injectors), and mainly the aem ems, which we have yet to find for a good price (well buy one new in the end if need be), and were finishing the fabbing of the intercooler piping...once its on the lift and all done well do a quick fab on the manifold to exhaust since it doesnt quite line up right....thats about it

here are a few pics

motor as it sat about a week ago (that stupid black connector is going to be replaced for a V band setup)

90mm throttle body and piping with the V-band setup (I think thats what its called)

random side piece, I got bored and stuck an NRG wheel, hub & quick disconnect in it. I went with green to match the Takata harnesses, and also bought a green ball knob in the exact same color

as usual I welcome comments and all that good stuff. I'll post a video hopefully very soon once its on the dyno...im guessing another 3 weeks to a month and it'll be done (I hope, if all goes right)
Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #53
blackdragon328
Zilvia Junkie

I meant a fab job from downpipe to exhaust...sorry, all tired...manifold to turbo...turbo to downpipe...downpipe to exhaust yea sooooo fabbing the downpipe end so it fits my exhaust
and I realized in the pics the VVL lines were not in yet...they should be done now I hope (as long as i dont get any lag from my mechanic... well see on friday).
Old 10-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #54
blackdragon328
Zilvia Junkie

as with all fridays, I went down to g-dimension again. the piping is all done, the VVL lines are almost all done, the fuel injectors and rail are in and mocked up on the car aaand were working on the relocation of the engine bay fuse box, and just general cleaning up of all the lines and such so that the bay looks all nice.

here is a few (bad) pics....sorry, lighting was shitty today so the pics came out shitty

the fuel rail/injectors mocked up...the rail doesnt actually fut the VVL manifold (damnit mazworx) so we are welding some new bolt up spots for it. on the lower left is the VVL setup, hooking into the upper left on the back of the motor.

turbo side of the piping (turbo to intercooler)

manifold side of the piping (intercooler to throttle body)

and here is the turbo setup, all lines done and a V-band on the intake

James is saying we will start it up next week (on a stock ecu since the AEM one isnt in yet) to make sure its all working right mechanically....then we have to wait for the AEM ecu to come in so that it can be tuned.... we kinda wanted it done by SEMA but it may or may not be, and it still needs paint too soooo.....well see

thats all for now, hopefully i can post a video of it soon
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #55
blackdragon328
Zilvia Junkie

Oh also.....Im thinking of colors....donno which yet so im requesting suggestions.

it will likely be a dark paintjob and right now im thinking Mercedes obsidian black....
Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #56
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Absolutely lovely.

Only thing special about my DET head is brand new VVL lifters. Haha
Old 10-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #57
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
Absolutely lovely.

Only thing special about my DET head is brand new VVL lifters. Haha
Uhhh, the VE head doesn't have lifters...
Old 10-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #58
blackdragon328
Zilvia Junkie

thanx Eschassislove

and yes, VE heads dont have lifters. hes not talking about a VE head I dont think Jr ss, hes talking about VVL lifters for a DET head....Im not sure what they are, ive heard of them as something you put into a head to be able to rev higher...possibly some kind of solid lifter?? I donno, just a guess. If its a solid lifter I ran the Tomei ones before my motor blew on this car....great setup but you have to readjust the shims every few thousand miles, and the original shimming is also a pain to do correctly.

anyway, Im still super interested in what yall think of colors....I'd love suggestions on what color to put on this baby...I know I said dark colors but throw something out there and I'll check it out.
If nothing I like better shows up its going to be painted obsidian black (mercedes).
Old 10-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #59
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

SR20VE,SR16VE, VVL = same thing. I duno what he meant either, I kinda passed it up as interweb sarcasm maybe I hope. Or maybe he thinks the S14/S15 SR20's VCT is VVL?

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #60
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
That's my bad. I meant VCT. Derp Derp lol