Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
whosaidthenword
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
whosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to whosaidthenword
<b> Just bought my first s14!

Hi, i just bought an s14 that is all stock. i was wondering if u guys could just tell me what are the first things i should do to the engine for more power and efficiency. im thinking of buying a turbo charger but don't want to spend too much. i was wondering what upgrades should i start with that are around the $50 to hundreds. please gimme some advice. imma fooking noob.
whosaidthenword is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Your first upgrade should be a track day.

You will learn sooooo much about your driving skill, and your cars performance. That will give you a great baseline to build on. It will also show you where your car needs help.

Stock KA is fine for a beginner. Start with suspension.

Hit up the classifieds section, or one of our forum sponsors for good deals.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Shaminii
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Shaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Shaminii
Get some gas in the tank?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
luisgonz
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
luisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to luisgonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Your first upgrade should be a track day.

You will learn sooooo much about your driving skill, and your cars performance. That will give you a great baseline to build on. It will also show you where your car needs help.

Stock KA is fine for a beginner. Start with suspension.

Hit up the classifieds section, or one of our forum sponsors for good deals.
I agree, Get to know your hardware.LOL Ka's are fun to beat up.
luisgonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Ill beat up your KA anytime.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
d*star180
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
d*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Your SN is fucking hilarious.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
whosaidthenword
BANNED

whosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the rough
hahahah yeah. but so sad dawg. my ka only has 60k. i dont wanna beat it up mang. i wanan like just like increase power on the ka without using alot of $$$$. come on help me out black pride!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #8
blu808
Post Whore!

$500 go as fast as you want.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
theronin
Post Whore!

theronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfectiontheronin is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theronin
change out every fluid that was in the car when you bought it. get a good set of rwd offset wheels and some good rubber. then choose how you want to go susp wise either mix and match or go with a coilover setup. power should really be the last thing on the list. you want to be comfortable in the car and your driving skills before you go and throw 100+ hp at her.

It just screams, "Hey, I'm a fucking Christmas Tree. What are you gonna do about it?"
theronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
Leaky Injector

2,1 is not welcome here anymore2,1 is not welcome here anymore2,1 is not welcome here anymore2,1 is not welcome here anymore2,1 is not welcome here anymore2,1 is not welcome here anymore2,1 is not welcome here anymore2,1 is not welcome here anymore2,1 is not welcome here anymore2,1 is not welcome here anymore2,1 is not welcome here anymore
Well your better off just keeping it stock untill you can afford to spent the kind of money your talking about. Turbos arnt cheap. Hell anything worth putting on this car isn't cheap. But for startes do cold air intake. Pretty cheap and adds HP. Fuck the turbo for now tho. Id do exaust then supsion then 5 lug conversion.
2,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #11
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
What is the use of the car?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
JVD
Nissanaholic!

JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
Don't buy cheap mods for the most part. They are tempting... but I always end up just replacing it with better shit later on. Waste of money. Do it right the first time.
JVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
whosaidthenword
BANNED

Its already a 5 lug :]]]. Ok i wanna do the cold air intake and the suspension first. help me ninjas? wheres the best place with the best price for these?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #14
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Jeez, freaking search...go lurk around and see what people are doing to thier cars so you can get an idea on what to go with. Fuck that cold air intake bullshit if your gonna go turbo anyways. Save your money and use that for suspension upgrades more than anything else. You wont make a KA go fast with anything less than $1000 (k I take that back, junkyard turbo kit maybe, assuming you dont blow the engine).

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #15
stupid nissan

stupid nissan is on the path to ruinstupid nissan is on the path to ruin
if you wanna get a little more pep outta the motor get a lightened fly wheel and clutch should be replaced anyway and a limited slip diff if it doesnt already have one and it doesnt have to be a thousand dollar one either weld it or grab a vlsd from another car and seat time that is what i recommend
stupid nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:56 PM   #16
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
The first thing I did to my car was buy a turbo, so the car was basically a 250 rwhp car all on stock suspension, and 4 lug steelies...now I'm wearing out my suspension bushings and replacing them...

my advice would be to replace all the suspension bushings (not too much money) get a vlsd, wider wheels and a suspension upgrade (be it coils or struts/springs, depends on the car's application and how much you wanna spend) then maybe a larger exhaust if you wanna go turbo later on, 4-2-1 headers with the Blitz Nur Spec R exhaust sounds soooooo nice!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2mXVFZJQoA[/ame]

a CAI is a waste of money man, some are 300 dolllars for like 2 hp...fuck that.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #17
sunnys14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
sunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Hey! Thats my car from 2004! Memories...
sunnys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #18
blasting_speed
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
blasting_speed is close to perfectionblasting_speed is close to perfectionblasting_speed is close to perfectionblasting_speed is close to perfectionblasting_speed is close to perfectionblasting_speed is close to perfectionblasting_speed is close to perfectionblasting_speed is close to perfectionblasting_speed is close to perfectionblasting_speed is close to perfectionblasting_speed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to blasting_speed
i would honestly work on clutch, flywheel, and suspension. Forget the engine for now. Have fun with the car before you get all crazy money wise. Drive the car like that for a while. Get an exhaust. Are you going to get an SR or are you going to keep the KA??? Do some research.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #19
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
haha sunny that's you? Your car has come a long way..

BTW, for whoever got butt hurt over me posting the vid of the 240 "speeding" and gave me a neg rep, I was just showing the sound aspect not the speed... sorry, I just thought we were all old enough to think for ourselves.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #20
whosaidthenword
BANNED

ok. so should i just get a maf adapter and a K&N filter first? and whats the difference between coilovers, springs? and struts? wtf????
Old 04-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #21
whosaidthenword
BANNED

im also gonna be keeping the ka for a while because its a waste if i don't use it. it only has 60k on it. i really wanna do some body work and paint the car too. but it just sucks ass right now cause its so slow. i can't haul ass. so sad....
Old 04-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #22
spooled240
Post Whore!

can you post a pic please!

Lowering springs: Shorter coil springs usually lowers car anywhere from 1"-2" and MOST are stiffer. This is most likely the cheapest option.

Performance struts: Basically stiffer shocks that can handle really short coil springs. Some are adjustable air shock that allows you to adjust the dampening and stiffness like the AYG KGB's.

Coilovers: ultimate but come in a hefty price tag (usually around 1000-2000) Usually with coils you can adjust the ride height, camber and have the stiffness needed for serious racing.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:42 AM   #23
blitzkrgCT9A
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
blitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosaidthenword View Post
ok. so should i just get a maf adapter and a K&N filter first? and whats the difference between coilovers, springs? and struts? wtf????
Coilover
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Coilover used in the double wishbone suspension on a Lotus 7.A
coilover is an automobile suspension device, short for "coil (spring) over strut". It consists of a shock absorber (British: damper) with a coil spring encircling it. The shock absorber and spring are preassembled as a unit prior to installation, and are replaced as a unit when the shock absorber has leaked. This provides for optimal damping without torsional loads. Some coilovers are adjustable for ride height and hardness as well using a simple threaded spring perch similar to a nut.

The coilover is a basic component of the MacPherson strut suspension system, which is distinguished from other arrangements by employing a particular design of anti-roll bar as a longitudinal constraint. This was the first widespread use of the coilover in automobile suspensions. But there are other designs; the word coilover should not be considered a synonym for the MacPherson strut arrangement.

Coilovers should not be confused with struts or independently mounted shock absorbers.

See this article for an in-depth explanation of coilovers and their function: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...lovers/Part_1/

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover"

when you hear people say coilovers, most people meant the adjustable coilovers like this:
blitzkrgCT9A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:58 AM   #24
wylin
Zilvia Addict

wylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosaidthenword View Post
im also gonna be keeping the ka for a while because its a waste if i don't use it. it only has 60k on it. i really wanna do some body work and paint the car too. but it just sucks ass right now cause its so slow. i can't haul ass. so sad....
for a stock KA i'd stick to simple bolt ons that can be recycled for a turbo car.

such as a 75-80mm exhaust, suspension as everyone said, and some type of LSD.

Since the 240 is such a old car most simple bolt-on's do yield power. And you are in LA so check out the local section of the forum in the Southwestern states.

Go to meets and events and see what others have done.

As for socal vendors:

i like the forum sponsor www.phase2motortrend.com the most, as its pretty much a sandbox when it comes to parts combinations.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:58 AM   #25
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (56)
joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Send a message via AIM to joshchewuhh
$50-100 isnt going to get you much!

but first thing should def be an alarm, new bushings and perhaps coils screw the engine for a while you can drive fast later
Old 04-10-2008, 01:06 AM   #26
240cracker
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
240cracker has a reputation beyond repute240cracker has a reputation beyond repute240cracker has a reputation beyond repute240cracker has a reputation beyond repute240cracker has a reputation beyond repute240cracker has a reputation beyond repute240cracker has a reputation beyond repute240cracker has a reputation beyond repute240cracker has a reputation beyond repute240cracker has a reputation beyond repute240cracker has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240cracker
if i had an all stock s14 again hmmm...
i dont think id buy an SR again thats fosho.
Id take that $50 and change all ur fluids ext.

then save your $ and do some minor bolt ons to the motor along with some coils.

thats me on a budget though..
240cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #27
legacy927
Zilvia Junkie

legacy927 will become famous soon enoughlegacy927 will become famous soon enoughlegacy927 will become famous soon enoughlegacy927 will become famous soon enough
Invest on a alarm first...240s is like the new civic..gets stolen from left to right...then work up on the suspension, then on the motor...get to know your car first...AND DONT GO FOR EBAY PARTS!!!!!!!! Rememeber...its what you pay is what you'll get....

good luck...
legacy927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #28
wylin
Zilvia Addict

wylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud ofwylin has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy927 View Post
Invest on a alarm first...240s is like the new civic..gets stolen from left to right...then work up on the suspension, then on the motor...get to know your car first...AND DONT GO FOR EBAY PARTS!!!!!!!! Rememeber...its what you pay is what you'll get....

good luck...
Old 04-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #29
emersonLP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
emersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to emersonLP
Maintain first. Do the basics like changing fluids. Sure through a drop-in K&N filter in too, itll sound pretty good and give you a little more air. Then start on suspension and brakes. What are your plans for the car? If you want into drifting you should get a diff as one of your first purchases.

Me- "what the f*ck did we do to my boost controller" Brandon-"I dunno?"
emersonLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #30
azndoc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
azndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to azndoc
The first upgrade you should do to the car and it's the JDM squash air freshner. For the girls yo.

That's all.
azndoc is offline   Reply With Quote