Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #631
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Why in the hell are we evening talking about resistors? I feel like I should be working on a new Chrysler model or something.
Just drop it....... Lol
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #632
mr2thomas
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mr2thomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyou2 View Post
For the alternator and starter, YES, you MUST use FUSES!!!!

For every electrical systems, at the beginning of them, and the nearest of the battery, fuse, fuse, fuse!!!!

after the battery, a 75A fuse, for general security, and after that, fuse box.

Here's a fast schem' that i made :

I didi'nt make the brake light modification.
Starter doesnt need to be fused. Its not even fused from factory. Like Jeff said, if you put an 80amp or anything close, it will pop on crank. Starter can see around 300 amps.

run a wire from battery straight to starter.
Alternator you can use a 80 or 100 amp fuse or circuit breaker dedicated for that.
mr2thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #633
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2thomas View Post
Starter doesnt need to be fused. Its not even fused from factory. Like Jeff said, if you put an 80amp or anything close, it will pop on crank. Starter can see around 300 amps.

run a wire from battery straight to starter.
Alternator you can use a 80 or 100 amp fuse or circuit breaker dedicated for that.
Sweet, thanks for all the help. Once I'm finished I would like to post it up for other people to see if they do desire to wire their car with the minimum, but just want to Make sure everything is right. So anyone's input would work great to finishing this, and potentially helping other members too. If anyone sees anything wrong point it out.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #634
KAs14slider
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
KAs14slider is making a name for him/her selfKAs14slider is making a name for him/her selfKAs14slider is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So I am looking to rewire my whole car. Where do you guys buy the actual wire to start making a harness from scratch. Or is it a better Idea to just simplify your existing harness?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #635
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzcarsales View Post
I will post new pics of tuck shortly....
Jeff = me, are you also one of the blessed ones to have the name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAs14slider View Post
So I am looking to rewire my whole car. Where do you guys buy the actual wire to start making a harness from scratch. Or is it a better Idea to just simplify your existing harness?
I started (6 years ago) simplifying existing harnesses, the problem is, you have to keep the stock connectors everywhere, as well as the stock fuseboxes and SMJ. They all suck. Then I used automotive TXL wire, which is what new OEM harnesses are made with, it's cool.

Now I use all Mil-spec silver- or nickel-stranded copper, high temp, dual wall wire. It's virtually impossible to nick, and has a working temp of over 200*C. Problem is, you generally have to buy in bulk - I go through 1000ft spools of each size, in multiple colors, every couple months.

For the do-it-yourself-er, it's tough to know how much you need. I'm more than happy to have my intern spool up some wire for you if you can guess what you'll use (or tell me what you're trying to wire and I'll guess what you'll use).

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #636
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAs14slider View Post
That's what I'm doing a harness from scratch. With help of other members here I hope to have a finalized schematic on how to wire your own car from scratch.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #637
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
That's what I'm doing a harness from scratch. With help of other members here I hope to have a finalized schematic on how to wire your own car from scratch.
If there was one end-all, be-all schematic for everyone, I would just post it with a FAQ and close the thread.

It's different for almost everyone, we've probably done 50 S-chassis custom chassis harnesses and I can only think of 3 or 4 that were exactly the same.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 12-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #638
KAs14slider
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
KAs14slider is making a name for him/her selfKAs14slider is making a name for him/her selfKAs14slider is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Jeff = me, are you also one of the blessed ones to have the name?

I started (6 years ago) simplifying existing harnesses, the problem is, you have to keep the stock connectors everywhere, as well as the stock fuseboxes and SMJ. They all suck. Then I used automotive TXL wire, which is what new OEM harnesses are made with, it's cool.

Now I use all Mil-spec silver- or nickel-stranded copper, high temp, dual wall wire. It's virtually impossible to nick, and has a working temp of over 200*C. Problem is, you generally have to buy in bulk - I go through 1000ft spools of each size, in multiple colors, every couple months.

For the do-it-yourself-er, it's tough to know how much you need. I'm more than happy to have my intern spool up some wire for you if you can guess what you'll use (or tell me what you're trying to wire and I'll guess what you'll use).
Thanks, I'll figure it out in more detail later what exactly I want to do and I'll get in touch.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #639
mr2thomas
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mr2thomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
True. I hit up Jeff Jordan for adhesive heat shrink and it was much cheaper than everywhere else and the perfect amount too. Its too expensive to order a bunch of feet of shit that you only need like 1 foot of.

If i ever need more heat shrink or wire, ill definitely hit you up again Jeff. He shipped out next day after i paid too.
mr2thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #640
Promise Land
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Promise Land is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
I'm more than happy to have my intern...

Intern? Do they college credit?
Promise Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #641
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
If there was one end-all, be-all schematic for everyone, I would just post it with a FAQ and close the thread.

It's different for almost everyone, we've probably done 50 S-chassis custom chassis harnesses and I can only think of 3 or 4 that were exactly the same.

I do understand although, you could post whatever u think might be helpful, u have answer some of my questions, so thanks of the top of your head by any chance u know what pin is the one that powers on a ka24de ecu? I haven't looked yet.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #642
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promise Land View Post
Intern? Do they college credit?
I haven't talked to Cal Poly about it, but it's possible. I'd have to talk to the program manager/dean wherever you go to school lol.

Quote:
I do understand although, you could post whatever u think might be helpful, u have answer some of my questions, so thanks of the top of your head by any chance u know what pin is the one that powers on a ka24de ecu? I haven't looked yet.
There are a bunch of pins that need power on the ECU for it to work properly. There's a constant/backup +12V, an ignition-switched +12V from the ignition key, and ignition-switched +12V from the ECU relay. That doesn't even cover the stuff in the harness that gets power (separately from the engine).

You have to know how to read the FSM, or have a professional do it right the first time.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #643
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
90240sx07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^^^^ how much do you usually charge for a wire tuck/elminate plugs that arent needed
90240sx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #644
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
dwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Does any one makes plug and play adapters? from S14 SR dash harness to S14 KA engine harness and from S14 SR dash harness to S15 SR engine harness?
dwnshft2drft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #645
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

not sure but fairly easy to repin those connectors
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #646
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
dwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
problem is i have multiple engine for the s14 so i prefer plug and play...
if I can make one, anyone have a donor F3/M63 or F4/M60 plug with a foot pigtails? PM me

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90240sx07 View Post
not sure but fairly easy to repin those connectors
dwnshft2drft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #647
s13greasemonkey

s13greasemonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Its almost done Ill have pics up next week!

s13greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #648
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

I'm getting their!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324783554.525247.jpg (131.4 KB, 288 views)
Old 12-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #649
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
TurboSE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Really interested in the CB chassis harness
Old 12-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #650
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
I'm getting their!
It's gonna really suck to trouble shoot that if you ever need to in the future... all of the same color wires.

I know Chase and Jeff are both willing to sell various wire colors so you don't have to buy a 1000 feet just to get something with a stripe on it.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #651
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

ya might need to talk to chase or jeff soon on pricing on wire
Old 12-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #652
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I'm getting their!
what does that all wire up?
Old 12-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #653
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90240sx07 View Post
what does that all wire up?
ECCS, fuel, fan, ignition, headlights x2, and i want my wipers even thought it will oNly be in one speed setting maybe ill make it 2 speed. rest are spare just incase.

Quote:
It's gonna really suck to trouble shoot that if you ever need to in the future... all of the same color wires.

I know Chase and Jeff are both willing to sell various wire colors so you don't have to buy a 1000 feet just to get something with a stripe on it.

Well most do one color, I have a diagram on everything how it's being wired I haven't label them yet with a label maker but every wire will be accounted for so I could eliminate any problems in the future.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #654
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

I bought a Painless-style kit from a friend and I didn't like the set-up, so I'm cannibalizing it for the different wire colors
Old 12-25-2011, 02:40 AM   #655
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSE View Post
I bought a Painless-style kit from a friend and I didn't like the set-up, so I'm cannibalizing it for the different wire colors
Painless (and the Summit knock-off that's everywhere) uses the cheapest automotive wire you can find. OEM is even better.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #656
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Painless (and the Summit knock-off that's everywhere) uses the cheapest automotive wire you can find. OEM is even better.
Mine isn't actually a Painless or painless style, I forget the brand, but it's a premade hot rod harness...that's what I meant.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:10 AM   #657
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSE View Post
Mine isn't actually a Painless or painless style, I forget the brand, but it's a premade hot rod harness...that's what I meant.
So a knock off of a shitty "get started kit" lol
Old 12-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #658
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
So a knock off of a shitty "get started kit" lol
it's from ezwiring...sorry it doesn't measure up to your standards, thanks for your input...can I see your wiring set-up to see how it should be done? Mine seems to work fine to run my lights, fan, horn and wipers which is pretty much what I needed.

[EDIT] GSXRJJordan, I understand your post and appreciate your opinion. Om1kron, when I want to know about wheels and hoods, your opinion might matter.[/EDIT]
Old 12-25-2011, 03:37 AM   #659
boyou2
Zilvia Junkie

boyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

I agree, in a normal time, find a problem with colored wires is a pain (sometimes) but if they're all the same color, I'll burn the car ^^
boyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:51 AM   #660
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyou2 View Post
I agree, in a normal time, find a problem with colored wires is a pain (sometimes) but if they're all the same color, I'll burn the car ^^
Burn the car lol.