Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
dawagarage
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
"best" engine hoist?

hello gents, im in the market for an engine hoist to pull the motor out of my s14 for a rebuild.

i was originally going to get the 1 ton from harbor freight

but some of the reviews mentioned it was lacking in both vertical and horizontal reach/adjustment.

so i considered their 2 ton, which has more reach, but then many reviews mentioned their hoists missing the majority of the assembly hardware.

so i wonder what hoists you guys have had positive experiences with.

if you could mention the brand/model/weight capacity and what applications (which cars, engines) it would be greatly appreciated!

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Trader Rating: (36)
wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wangan_cruiser
Lol just get one from kragen. Been using mine for since 09 and its been working fine. Got wet from rain and still good. Should be good with that
wangan_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
davinci
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
davinci is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i got my big red one from northern tool. it has lifted my ls1 in and out bay many times
davinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
My hoist is an engine pulling slut. It's pulled Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, and has recently moved on to boat motors...

Get one that will work. A 2ton will give you a longer arm to reach with, and if need be can be used to lift your whole damn car. I used it to lift the front of my car up so I could install my motor from the bottom.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
PyroTecK

Trader Rating: (0)
PyroTecK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've had the harbor freight one for a few years now and it's gotten the job every single time. Only problem is the cylinder slowly starts to, i guess, leak. It slowly lets the motor down, but for what it cost me I dont really care. My pos craftsman floor jack does the same thing. For the price the harbor freight sht gets the job done.
PyroTecK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Torin jacks is the shit..
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
^^ OTC stuff rocks too.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroTecK View Post
I've had the harbor freight one for a few years now and it's gotten the job every single time. Only problem is the cylinder slowly starts to, i guess, leak. It slowly lets the motor down, but for what it cost me I dont really care. My pos craftsman floor jack does the same thing. For the price the harbor freight sht gets the job done.
+ 1. Only used harbor freight ones and theyve gotten the job done.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Whoops double post.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
The Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mine is a Performance Tool 2-ton from Napa. Looks to be almost identical to the one from harbor freight and similar in price as well. I've lifted my old RB25, an SR20, and my LS1 numerous times with it. I also lifted a Pulsar GTiR front clip off a flatbed truck with it.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
SomeoneWhoIsntMe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
SomeoneWhoIsntMe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
best hoist I've ever used was this huge chainfall we had in the auto lab at school.

if you have the space for it in your driveway, I've seen gantry cranes for sale on craigslist before. I want one real bad.
SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
TougeSR20Kid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
TougeSR20Kid has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
+ 1 for harbor freight... Ive used em before many times and for the price you can't beat it. Had one and then sold it when I moved, I dunno something about cost of moving it, and now I'm in the market again Only reason I'm prob not gonna get another harbor freight one is cus I work at O'reilly's and get that super sweet employee price
Namaste mother f**ker
TougeSR20Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #13
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
I picked up a used harbor freight for 40 bucks i have had it for over 3 yrs without any problems besides the time i had to change the fluid and i keep it outside everyday in the snow or rain
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
JFoxx
BANNED

Trader Rating: (3)
JFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if you own an sr20, and have a strong friend, you can just lift the motor out. lol ......thats what i do....
JFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
Lutz Performance
Leaky Injector

Lutz Performance is an unknown quantity at this point
Harbor Freight and Norther Tool, they are cheap but if you take care of them they will last a long ass time
Lutz Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #16
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
I have the Harbor Freight one in the original post. Used it a handful of times so far without any issues!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
blueshark123
Post Whore!

blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFoxx View Post
if you own an sr20, and have a strong friend, you can just lift the motor out. lol ......thats what i do....
Yea i rather pay 200 then pull it out with my hands haha. I like to have a good back.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
JFoxx
BANNED

JFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
Yea i rather pay 200 then pull it out with my hands haha. I like to have a good back.

its not as bad as you think, we usually remove the head first, and as long as the motor is drained, it is really easy to pick it up. i can hold/move the motor by myself, and i am by no means a buff guy, with a friend its a peice of cake.. sr's are pretty light motors....

but back on topic... +1 for harbor freights stuff
JFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
People think ls1's are heavy lol.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
the first time i put my KA in we used a chain and a 2x4

Who needs a hoist!?
No but that sucked, now i have this one..
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
Here's a good one.
Engine Crane, Diesel, 6000 Lb, H 88 1/2 In - Engine Stands - Automotive Lifting Tools - 4CWN2 : Grainger Industrial Supply
I know you said you wanted the best, I don't have any personal experience with it, but it should be able to handle the overwhelming task of pulling one small engine once.

Are you delusional? Just buy or rent an engine hoist and be done with it. It's not that hard. Are you the same guy that wanted "the best coilovers" then wouldn't considering anything over $1100? Like anything less than something costing 10x as much could ever be considered "the best."

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
Why would you want to pay $200 and also pull it out with your hands?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #22
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlong View Post

Than lol thanks for pointing that out.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #23
landins13
Zilvia Addict

landins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choices
ive got a 2.5 ton crane i got on sale at advance auto. ive pulled my motor at least 15 times as well as multiple other cars with no issues.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #24
dawagarage
Premium Member

Quote:
Here's a good one.
Engine Crane, Diesel, 6000 Lb, H 88 1/2 In - Engine Stands - Automotive Lifting Tools - 4CWN2 : Grainger Industrial Supply
I know you said you wanted the best, I don't have any personal experience with it, but it should be able to handle the overwhelming task of pulling one small engine once.

Are you delusional? Just buy or rent an engine hoist and be done with it. It's not that hard. Are you the same guy that wanted "the best coilovers" then wouldn't considering anything over $1100? Like anything less than something costing 10x as much could ever be considered "the best."

i dont know where you get "delusional" from. i was just going to "buy one and be done with it" until i started reading some problems that people were running into. LIKE NOT BEING ABLE TO REACH THE ENGINE. why would i spend money on known problems? a wise man learns from his mistakes, a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others.

you seem practical, you even say yourself "why would you pay $200..." well the same logic applies here.

youre right 'its not that hard," but again who wants to spend money on known problems? here let me just go down to the store, buy the hoist, set it up and then when i lower it, it turns out the beam isnt long enough to span the engine bay and remove the engine.

it isnt very technical, i agree. i do have experience with 'technical' lifts, and hoists. i have a category 3 crane license, i move multiple 4000 to 8000 pound high explosive missiles and torpedoes with 4 to 8 ton electric and pneumatic bridge crane daily. as well as operate 2 ton to 15k forklifts. and none of that is really difficult, but you still want to ensure youre using the right equipment for the job.

"best" here was to get people to initially view the thread, to which i then defined as "hoists you guys have had positive experiences with." the word "best" is subjective. what is best to you might not be the best for me. which, again, is why i defined the word here.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #25
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboiblaze View Post
"best" here was to get people to initially view the thread, to which i then defined as "hoists you guys have had positive experiences with." the word "best" is subjective. what is best to you might not be the best for me. which, again, is why i defined the word here.
It also has the side effect of making people think you're an idiot if you think you need the best hoist and start talking about Harbor Freight.

"Best" is not subjective. It's asking for the single highest quality, most suitable item out there. If you'd added some criteria, "best under $200" then you'd sound less like a teenager with outlandish dreams and more like an adult that can reason and make rational decisions.

As for the HF hoists, people go on the internet to post problems. No one posts "the hoist worked ok and nothing of interest happened." OK, not no one, but the numbers are skewed. Measure some stuff and see if it will work yourself.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #26
Nismo 240

Nismo 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
thats same one i used for my swap it works fine i also used to change the motor,transmission and transfer case all at the same time in 4x4
Nismo 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #27
dawagarage
Premium Member

Quote:
It also has the side effect of making people think you're an idiot if you think you need the best hoist and start talking about Harbor Freight.

"Best" is not subjective. It's asking for the single highest quality, most suitable item out there. If you'd added some criteria, "best under $200" then you'd sound less like a teenager with outlandish dreams and more like an adult that can reason and make rational decisions.

As for the HF hoists, people go on the internet to post problems. No one posts "the hoist worked ok and nothing of interest happened." OK, not no one, but the numbers are skewed. Measure some stuff and see if it will work yourself.
youre over thinking shit. do you get called anal often, do people mention that you over analyze?

i would think that if someone saw equipment from HF that they would have an idea of what kind of price range im shooting for. thats like someone making a thread about wanting a new car and posting a bunch of early 90s vehicles theyre considering and then someone throwing in a 2010 sports car. they shouldnt have to say "oh my price range is $5000" it should be common sense.
as well as how i mentioned im pulling my engine for a rebuild. this should denote a few things: like how i dont need a shop crane hoist and how i just need something thats enough to pull the engine out and then reinstall it later.

again, best is subjective. in almost every example that it is used. best could mean cheapest, highest quality, farthest boom length, most compact when stowed, etc etc

Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #28
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

I often call myself anal, but that's beside the point. You asked for the best without any caveats so that's what I provided, jokingly I might add, I never expected that to be in your price range. I completely understand what you want, I'm not confused in that area. I'm just giving you crap for not being able to portray that.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #29
dawagarage
Premium Member

'just giving me crap.' ok, i can accept that.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #30
Bentleyness
Leaky Injector

Bentleyness is an unknown quantity at this point
i got my jack from HF for 120$ w/coupon and its not orange like what u see when u look them up. mine is gunmetal and has pittsburgh logo on the side, maybe they gave me the wrong one? but ether way its was a good buy for me. I think they go bad because ppl leave the load on the jack and cause damage?

also bought HF engine stand for 60$ w/coupon(get the 4 legged one not the 3 leg), and a rapid 1.5 ton jack for 70$ w coupon,
Bentleyness is offline   Reply With Quote