Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-03-2004, 05:53 PM   #31
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
HEs are like DDs (sort of minus the spring rates, inverted..etc) but the principle is same
to compress and hold (slower on rebound) for stability and increasing speed mid drift

DDs are F'in awesome from the people i know pesronally who own them/use them. ive ridden in those cars and wow. they feel nice but you really cant tell as a pssenger..but i cant say negatives about it
HEs just took me time to test and tune it to get it how i like it. i also think 8/6 is too soft for what i want so hence the spring rate bump up
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2004, 06:09 PM   #32
ucfz31s13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
ucfz31s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ucfz31s13
Flybert: Point taken. Have to agree w/ you 100%.

Dousan: So running the stock HE valving w/ a 9/7 instead of 8/6 will work fine? I'd like to run a 9/7 but didn't know if the HE valving would hold...you're saying they will do a-ok? Do you know if all warranties still apply w/ this setup? Thanks.
ucfz31s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #33
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
should be..my friend does it
stick w/ 8/6 and see what you think1!
warranties? no idea...
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:23 PM   #34
Halz
BANNED

Halz is an unknown quantity at this point
Only $20 to replace a rod end? Apparently, you're buying the cheap stuff http://www.bakerprecision.com/nhbb1a.htm
Halz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:25 PM   #35
ucfz31s13
Zilvia Junkie

ucfz31s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ucfz31s13
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboroughpimp
did spl give you any kind of deal for ordering all that stuff at once?
Yes. Good thing I asked!

Helps to be polite!
ucfz31s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:17 PM   #36
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

DoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DoriftoSlut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halz
Only $20 to replace a rod end? Apparently, you're buying the cheap stuff http://www.bakerprecision.com/nhbb1a.htm
Just cause those cost $50+ retail doesn't mean they cost that much to manufacture. How many people will actually need SPL Parts to replace the balljoints? Its like buying Craftsmen or something. If they give you free replacement tools for broken ones then they must suck right? No.

I have talked to Kuah about his products, manufacturing, etc etc... Seemed like good stuff. Then he sent me an order. Fuckin A. SO GOOD. I was TOO impressed with the quality. Excelent.

It looks to me like that Baker Precision may be a "race" shop? Or so it seems with prices like that. So yeah that is top quality, low production, expensive shit. For an average 240sx i dont know why you would need that. But to each his own. Ask THX for me if i bought Baker Precision heim joints would my ride then be less stiff? I don't get you two guys. Its like "OMG OMG OMG Nissan engineers designed the 240sx one way so we should keep it as near that as possible." Riiight. But then someone talks about japanese aftermarket arms or braces or whatever and you are all "OMG OMG OMG you are buying the cheap shit!" like looking down upon them. I don't know... what happened to that stock suspension you praised Nissan for? Or those stock 14 year old glued joints. Or the bushings? etc. I will give you props for actually going to track events, but i hate how you 2 read some suspension book and then think that every aftermarket pieece but race application custom made parts suck and make the car handle like shit. uhhhh my car handles great.

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
DoriftoSlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:52 PM   #37
TRUENOCOUPE
Nissanaholic!

TRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via AIM to TRUENOCOUPE
Lindsay... FYI, Those two are great drivers. If you can beat them at the track I will give you props. I have not seen anyone beat them yet. Karting or Track Race.

Its pointed out already that you get what you pay for. Im not saying the cheaper they are the shittier it is.

BTW: Craftsman are crap. Snap on is the way to go.
TRUENOCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:08 AM   #38
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

DoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to behold
Al, I have seen them drive. Im not discounting anyone as a driver or anything like that. Honestly i couldnt compare to anyone cause i saw them gripping at a (primarily) drift event. I certainly do not care about beating anyone in a race, my goal of track driving is enjoying myself drifting and hang out with friends. If i liked winning "races" I would build a car like TY or Chang.

Anyways, how many people can beat Michael Shumacher at a race? Not many. If Schumey said all pigs are green would you believe him? What if you then showed him a yellow pig? And he said Oh well that yellow pig isn't yellow enough. Look at THIS yellow pig. WTF Schumey, you just told me that all pigs are green!

THAT, my friend, is what i equate to those guys' online conversations/arguments.

Anyways, see you guys March 29th. Looking from the pits is West loop the big course on the right where the magazines test cars, or is it the one we ran when Forsberg brought the 180 up? (the Dec 5 event).

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
Old 03-04-2004, 12:11 AM   #39
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

As for 'you get what you pay for'.... SPL Parts is like you get 1.5 times what you pay for. thats why i drive for them, support and reccomend them, no complaints, superb quality, nice guys, A+.

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
Old 03-04-2004, 12:16 AM   #40
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
It's the west loop or at least that's what the memo says. The big one.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:25 AM   #41
curbsurfer
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
curbsurfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
lindsay, if you get dust boots, $50 rod ends, and snap-on tools, then you will be a faster driver and get more props on the internet for doing things "right".
curbsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:29 AM   #42
TRUENOCOUPE
Nissanaholic!

TRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbsurfer
lindsay, if you get dust boots, $50 rod ends, and snap-on tools, then you will be a faster driver and get more props on the internet for doing things "right".
You are a fucking dolt.

Read the post again.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:35 AM   #43
TRUENOCOUPE
Nissanaholic!

Main point is that is has been proven before that cheap parts = cheap quality. Not necessary that parts you guys are technically speaking tho.

I remember my OEM Tie Rods lasted me a year atleast. Then I saw 'moog' which is beefier that OEM. I went with that and it only lasted me one event. Reason why I went with 'moog' cause it was a lot CHEAPER. I mean 40 dollar cheaper.

I guess, Hes point is Cheaper parts = Cheap Quality.

Im not on anyone side but it has been proven. I personally do not know who SPL is. I thought that stand for 'special' (jdm thing, i think).
Old 03-04-2004, 12:37 AM   #44
TRUENOCOUPE
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert
It's the west loop or at least that's what the memo says. The big one.
Sorry to hi jack the post but yes, Its the west loop but technically its the 'zorro corner' only. I don't think we need the whole West Loop.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:43 AM   #45
Halz
BANNED

Looks like my sarcasm, subtle sometimes even in real life, has gotten me into trouble!
Maybe if I didn't have apparently the elitist track record I do and I said the same thing, the humor could have been well received.

I just recently bought some $25 rod ends to replace the 2 year old TC rod joints that developed end play.

I wouldn’t buy a tool I knew sucked, or had unproven quality if I was expecting to depend on it heavily, like a torque wrench, and might one day have that tool blow up in my hand when I depended on it. So what if it could be replaced under warranty? It failed when it needed to perform, and the operator was put at risk due to the failure.

What I have experienced at the track has reinforced how acceptable the car can perform with predominantly stock components. For example, without installing huge rotors and calipers, the stock brakes are still more than enough to lock up the tires at high speed, and be resistant to fade with just more aggressive brake pads. So... why are people upgrading the brake system when they haven’t even touched the potential of the stock system? Is a 30mm rotor really worth the added weight over a 26mm rotor, or a 22mm rotor, all with the same diameter?

I am all for changing/modifying the 240... I just don’t like seeing people haphazardly slap some tyte shyt on their car that was marketed directly towards them, and then talk amongst themselves about how great it all is, ignorant to what out there might still be even better in performance, cost, etc. Its possible those $100 rod ends will last 4x longer than these $25 rod ends I just bought. Nobody will know until they do research.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:06 AM   #46
curbsurfer
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
curbsurfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUENOCOUPE
You are a fucking dolt.

Read the post again.

did i strike a nerve? dolt?--ouch

just because it costs more doesnt mean its better
curbsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 01:07 AM   #47
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

BAH! I liked the 'Offramp' corner going anticlockwise on *Eastloop i guess. Shit was mad JDM Tyte. Nah but seriously Irwindale what? Thats where stupid D1 shoudl have been. I think we should have D1 up at touge. Liek yeah bring all your fancypants racecars and get them FUCKED UP. Like Ebisu 2001 in the rain. FUCK DEM CARS UP!

Anyways, i know YOU are sick of it Al, but lets do another eastloop soon.

Oh yeha on topic, um, suspension parts... yeah.

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
Old 03-04-2004, 01:09 AM   #48
Halz
BANNED

http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/i..._10_config.gif thats the config for the 29th
Old 03-04-2004, 01:13 AM   #49
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

Gracias senor Alex.

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
Old 03-04-2004, 01:18 AM   #50
Halz
BANNED

Alejandro
Old 03-04-2004, 01:18 AM   #51
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

Hmmm... i think it would be cool to do the "zorro's" and the upper part of west loop that is Black in the link halz posted... i alsoi liek the looks of the Mazda Club turn. But having never driven them i dont know.... just going off the drawing... meh. Looks liek its better for grip this time. Blah. So boring grip is.

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
Old 03-04-2004, 01:41 AM   #52
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lindsey: I guess all I can say is its just the internet. IRL we are all nice people that just want to drive. Argueing about things online is fine with me, even when I'm wrong or someone else is wrong...its the only way to learn sometimes...because obviously reading everything from a book isn't working out That said, you'll never see me running sperical ball joints on the street.

I'm not sure how Mazda Star is going to work, it looks like you can drift the first part of it, and if you are bold go and drift the esses. The berms are sorta high in the esses now so if you mess up it might be your ass (or another bumper ), um otherwise, Riverside turn is not being used for this event at least right now, its a 9xmph turn and there is concern at the track about someone going off and rolling.

Should be plenty of time on track
thx247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:03 AM   #53
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

Ahhh.. i was thinking about Star Mazfa (sorry i combined some names at first) running...anticlockwise... Blaze into the first sweeper part and get sideways and cary that into the tighter decreasing hairpin. thinking mid-top 3rd down to mid-low 2nd. Would be fun... link the 2. But again, i dont know the scale of what im looking at. how wide/runoff design, elevation change, etc.

*after comparing the scale of that turn to Offramp i realize no one in their right mind would ever attempt, nor achieve what i am proposing. These courses would be better if everything was a TAD smaller. I forget sometimes these tracks are meant for grip not drift.

And my name's spelled with an A not E. If you EVER do that again i will.... haha jk i dont care. Its dar intarweb. If i did not live in teh middle of Long Beach i would be up at the mountains running bumpers over.

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
Old 03-04-2004, 02:04 AM   #54
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Pacific and sunset look like good turns but then we wouldn't be able to do the zorros which also look pretty good. Are the zorros long enough where you'd choku dori down it or just link it from one drift to another? Looks like potential for some good fun.

I'm thinking mazda turn should be done clockwise. I guess we just have to wait and see.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:13 AM   #55
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
star mazda is pretty big, props if you could link them. I think you would need a good amount of speed. Going clockwise a stock 240 will be deep into 4th gear coming out the esses. I still have wet dreams watching a Z06 run through there flat out with ZERO roll.

Wide..its like a parking lot out there.....36ft.

Sunset would be driftable, a-typical left hand 90 degree turn with a bit of camber. Lots of people understeer through it though
thx247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:18 AM   #56
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx247
. I still have wet dreams watching a Z06 run through there flat out with ZERO roll.
Z06 ownz you. bow down you shameless peons

Last edited by Var; 03-04-2004 at 11:42 AM..
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:21 AM   #57
TRUENOCOUPE
Nissanaholic!

I guess Ill see you guys on March 29th. We hi-jack the thread. LOL
Old 03-04-2004, 10:30 AM   #58
TRUENOCOUPE
Nissanaholic!

Lindsay - I need a new track set up for my car this is why we choose West Loop. Something other than East Loop. I already know the elevation on the east so now time to learn the west.

Mazda turn would be possible to drift the whole turn if you can actually take off drifting from 95-100MPH. But I wouldn't want you to push you limit. That turn is WAY too big.

The Esses is very nice if you can keep it up without hitting the curbs. The curbs are a lil high so you guys might want to becareful.

The Zorro Turn you can be able to connect the drift if you get enough speed at the first turn and make sure you are willing to go 10K RPM. I know I couldn't get that going when I was shifting around 6-7K RPM. Its still fun nonetheless.

Sunset Turn will be closed. This is Drifting Practice not Grip. I don't mind at all but my main thing for this event is for drifter. So sunset is really useless for now. Maybe in the future I will open that turn.

Half day we will be going Clockwise then the rest of the day we are going Counter Clockwise.

Al
Old 03-04-2004, 10:41 PM   #59
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
heyj where do you order the spl stuff from?
Old 03-04-2004, 10:49 PM   #60
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

Um, www.splparts.com

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com