Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:32 PM   #181
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB
The problem is that those motors are wide as a bus. Never fit between the strut towers.
Yeah I remember reading on Zilvia.net (maybe even in this thread) that the engine is just too dam wide. Would be an alternative if it wasn't so wide and so expensive.....

Some LS1 info:

-Aftermaket or custom intake =10-12rwhp
-Porting MAFS & Throttle body =2-3rwhp
-Under Drive Pulleys =5rwhp

-Push rods of 5/16" diameter, 0.080" wall thickness, 4130 chrome-moly(reccomended), 1.85:1 Rocker arms, Upgraded valve springs w/titanium retainers =20rwhp/13rwtq

Total:37rwhp

The valve terrain of the LS1 is the weak spot so upgrading whil the engine is out would be a good idea, plus gaining some hp/tq. These are not going to be the exact same numbers for everybody but came from a reliable resource.
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2006, 01:47 AM   #182
fast93

fast93 is an unknown quantity at this point
im kinda confused on the ls1 long block and shortblock is there a difference between those two? as in fitting, power, and price? as if the motor were going in a fastback 240sx
fast93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:20 AM   #183
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Got to www.google.com and type in Longblock vs. Shortblock. Then come back and ask your questions.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:08 AM   #184
mistert
Pearl White Mike

mistert is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to mistert Send a message via AIM to mistert
ive been talking about diong this swap for years, and used to just get called a redneck. im glad to see so much fucking interest in it now, i know a couple people who are on board now too.

this ford vs chevy argument is fucking stupid. i build mopar performance crate engines, and feel the LSx is the way to go. if you want a cost effective simple swap do a used LSx motor. if you just have to have F(athers) O(ld) R(ubber) D(ick) power and want to be different, do the 302. just expect to upgrade alot more in the process of trying to make some decent power

if you got a little more money to spend, and want a new motor, go to SDPC and they have some specials going on right now. a 408ci iron block with forged steel rotating assembly is going for $3500 shipped, $4500 for a 402 using a new LS2 block. a set of L92 heads (6.2 escalade motor) goes for $800 assembled. you can find everything else you need to run the motor cheap and used all day
Old 10-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #185
haveblue

haveblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to haveblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistert
if you got a little more money to spend, and want a new motor, go to SDPC and they have some specials going on right now. a 408ci iron block with forged steel rotating assembly is going for $3500 shipped, $4500 for a 402 using a new LS2 block. a set of L92 heads (6.2 escalade motor) goes for $800 assembled. you can find everything else you need to run the motor cheap and used all day
Part of the reason people are enamored with this swap is the low weight (less than a stock KA?). No one wants to run a heavy iron block. Otherwise people would go get a 350 SBC from a junk yard, some carbs and have a blast.
haveblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:22 AM   #186
mistert
Pearl White Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveblue
Part of the reason people are enamored with this swap is the low weight (less than a stock KA?). No one wants to run a heavy iron block. Otherwise people would go get a 350 SBC from a junk yard, some carbs and have a blast.
it was just a suggestion, and guess what the iron block GEN III is only another 75lbs than LS1 so its still a good weight drop. not to mention its a budget alternative to the LS2 based 402

if you want big cubes without sleeving and not worry about warping the cylinders iron block is the way to go. that would allow you to run a huge nitrous shot or forced induction

however i guess even a stock bottom end ls1 or ls2 with cam and LT's should be more than sufficient for most 240 owners power needs, but im sure someone out there wants to drag race...
Old 10-04-2006, 08:15 AM   #187
shinrekka
Zilvia Member

shinrekka is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistert
F(athers) O(ld) R(ubber) D(ick)
F(irst) O(n) R(ace) D(ay)
shinrekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #188
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
Yeah, back in the 60's and partly 70's

more like
F(irst) O(n) R(oad) D(isabled)
Old 10-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #189
fouz

fouz is an unknown quantity at this point
i got a question. i only know of 3 ls1-s14 before mine (hinson, someguy on ls1tech.com and that ebay one). but can anyone help me with my parking lights and blinkers. when i pulled the ka ecu and the harness, if it didnt unplug from the engine harness it came out with it. everything works (as far as i know at this time) but no parking lights or blinkers. is there a part of the engine harness that has something to do with them?

and a link to my build http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578081
i will also be doing a up-to-date cost soon.
fouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:49 PM   #190
fouz

seen a few question about price so here is mine up to today (cant find fuel system reciept so add 500 i think). still a few more things to get.

motor, tran, ecu, wire, shaft, shifter 3800
volt, oil, water temp, gauges 176.26
oil pan 355
hsc nissan mod master cylinder 79
hsc new ss clutch line 83.5
shiping 18.5
steering wheel and plate 51.87
hsc headers plus shiping 896.63
hsc cooling package and shiping 667.58
cpu vats and rear o2 removel 125
j30 rear end 253
4" exhaust tip 24.99
18" of 3" exhaust pipe 5.99
new thermstat ,houseing, gasket 38.27
plugs for gauges, hood pins, toggle switch 30.62
12' of battery cable,battery top post, more wire stuff 53.93
6' of 3" exhaust 18
6' of 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 angle iron 21

total 6705.13
Old 10-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #191
KRUZNBY

KRUZNBY is an unknown quantity at this point
3" Exhaust

^Is 3" exhaust better for V8 NA applications than smaller diameters?
KRUZNBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #192
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
3" exhaust is better, PERIOD.

Better for Stock KA, better for V8. I used to run 3.5" straight pipes on a 327 small block. Of course that was in a classic Chevy, but still... Big exahust is Gooooooooood.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #193
mistert
Pearl White Mike

yes youll see some ls1 guys running dual 3" with a y pipe to 4" exhaust. good luck finding somewhere to hide that piping though

if i end up buying another s14 and doing this swap, i plan to just do an X pipe after the headers, keep it true dual 3" with bullets and turndowns, as short as can be done reasonably. this is a really popular setup with the camaro guys and if done right can maximize gruond clearance and save a little weight while sounding ground

im just still debating if its worth blowing that much money on another 240sx or if i should be trying to save up for a down payment on a house..
Old 10-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #194
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
HOUSE HOUSE HOUSE HOUSE HOUSE
go get some.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #195
fouz

i comeing out the headers with 3" and then a y pipe to 3 1/2" out the back. the only size i could find at local shops was 3". the next was a 18 wheeler shop and the smallest was 5". i got the 7' (which is way too much) of 3 1/2" for free. so im useing it. i got alot of little stuff for free. misc size metal to make mounts and brackets and some pipeing. some alum brackets custom made for my fuel lines. my mufflers will be custom made (cost me $20 i think, will be a simple design), 2 small ones for the 3" and 1 for the 3 1/2". and a new shifter boot. just little stuff that i know where i can get for free or have made for free. maybe a total of $500. some of it gheto and some of it nice.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:20 AM   #196
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Iceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymore
*laughs*

The KA motor and Transmission combo Don't weigh 600lbs, and the LSX motor and tranny don't wiegh Sub 500lbs.

GM list the LS6 motor with a manual Flywheel at around 496lbs, and Corvettes has the transmission mounted SPERATE from the Motor. A T56 trans will weigh in over 130lbs.

Transmission
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2930
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te..._transmission/
Engine:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...06/ls1ls6.html
(notice it says NOTHING about transmission)
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:24 AM   #197
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Iceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymore
And the LS6 (ZO6 corvette) Does not have an automatic conterpart.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:25 AM   #198
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

500+130=630
And thats also a lot more cash for the Swap. Go SR, KA-T or VQ...or Go home.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:39 AM   #199
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

So the differnece between the Manual and Automatic engine weight is 40lbs, which means that the flywheel on a manual LS1 weights 40lbs???? It just so happens that I pulled the Ka with all acc. and tranny out of my 240 yesterday so tomorrow I will weigh it and get back to you... Oh yeah, who wants an automatic tranny unless it is state of the art Ferrari/Mercedes style?

So for $3500 you can have a reliable 350hp out of a stock engine. This is a FAq about V8 swaps and you bring you stupid ideas into here. When you show me a time slip that you ran 11's with a SR, KA-t or VQ swap and have a breakdown of price then maybe I will take what you say serious. THe LS1 is going to be cheaper and more reiliable.
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Last edited by ledzeppelin240; 10-16-2006 at 01:26 PM..
Old 10-16-2006, 12:18 PM   #200
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

YOu can grab a VQ block for a Lot cheaper than a LSX motor. Not to mention its Lighter.

NO need to be rude though, because If I were considering this swap, I'd be upset that someone gave me the wrong info.

And Sport Compact Car has the Wieght of a Fully dressed KA with 5 speed manual as around 497. Only10 or so pounds more than a full SR20DET swap, and Still loss than the 630+lbs of a LSX swap.

Vq swap s14. I doubt the LS motor does that to the front end.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #201
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

Well my car looks that high in the front end and has no engine or tranny. So thats loosing 596 lbs. I would like to see the engine that is actually in that car, cause I doubt it has an engine. The VQ does not compare to the LS1 anyways, it is a 6cyl and this is a V8 FAQ... So for $3500 get a LS1 with a 6 speed manual tranny and go run 11's stock. The LS1 is a lighweight engine due it its all aluminum block/head/composite intake. So I am going by what people have weighed the engines in at because that site makes no sense how a flywheel for a V8 engine weights 40lbs.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #202
mistert
Pearl White Mike

a stock ls2 makes more torque off idle than the vq's peak all the way to redline

instead of hating on the LSx swap and arguing for the vq swap, why not go participate in a VQ swap thread
Old 10-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #203
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

YOUR WRONG. Accept it. The LSX series motors with thier inferior drivetrain are NOT lighter than the KA. They Are NOT lighter than a VQ, and for cost of this swap, your better off with a VQ swap, and some spray.

It wasn't ment to be a flamefest. I call it how I see it.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:43 PM   #204
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin240
Well my car looks that high in the front end and has no engine or tranny. So thats loosing 596 lbs. I would like to see the engine that is actually in that car, cause I doubt it has an engine. The VQ does not compare to the LS1 anyways, it is a 6cyl and this is a V8 FAQ... So for $3500 get a LS1 with a 6 speed manual tranny and go run 11's stock. The LS1 is a lighweight engine due it its all aluminum block/head/composite intake. So I am going by what people have weighed the engines in at because that site makes no sense how a flywheel for a V8 engine weights 40lbs.
THE KA motor and transmission DO NOT WEIGH 600lbs. Period. A fully dressed KA WITH transmission is 49Xlbs. Sport Compact Car has this listed.

Freshalloy Has a Whole archive of VQ swaps on 240sx's, be my guest and prove me wrong.

There are a few reasons to do this swap, and Weight reduction is NOT one of them.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:55 PM   #205
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Unfortunately it is true that the stock LS1 flywheel approaches 50 (not 40) lbs! It's sad because the flywheel in the T56 equipped cobras only weighs 12 lbs. I don't know what GM was thinking. No fear though, the after market is starting to come alive with new cluthches like the textralia dual, that weighs under 50lbs with the pressure plate and clutch attached!

Brian Hinson weighed the KA (with auto tranny attached) that he pulled out his S14. It weighed 596 lbs. Also, a lot of the weight of the LS1 swap is in the 140 lb T56 6 speed. Which is lower and further back than the engines, something to think about. Besides you don't get the glorious, (used in Aston martins, designed for vipers) gimme 500 ftlbs anyday T56, with any nissan swaps.

And PS... If you have nothing to contribute to V8, I'll repeat it... V8 silvias...

GET LOST

Last edited by SicBastard; 10-16-2006 at 09:16 PM..
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:18 PM   #206
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard
Brian Hinson weighed the KA (with auto tranny attached) that he pulled out his S14. It weighed 596 lbs. Also, a lot of the weight of the LS1 swap is in the 140 lb T56 6 speed. Which is lower and further back than the engines, something to think about. Besides you don't get the glorious, (used in Aston martins, designed for vipers) gimme 500 ftlbs anyday T56, with any nissan swaps.

And PS... If you have nothing to contribute to V8, I'll repeat it... V8 silvias...

GET LOST
Thank you, I might have been drinkin a little too much lately which is affecting my thoughs so getting what I mean in my head typed out is kinda hard. All I know is that I am buying a LS1 next summer and becomming a track whore...

Old 10-17-2006, 08:07 PM   #207
fouz

my finshed car price. been driving it for about a week or so, just little short trips to keep an eye on things. tires dont spin as bad as i thought but if you want em to spin they will. front end just pulls up real hard and goes. only thing i dont like about it is now im broke .

motor, tranny, harness, pcm, shifter 3800
volt, oil, water temp, gauges 176.26
oil pan 355
hsc nissan mod master cylinder 79
hsc new ss clutch line 83.5
shiping 18.5
steering wheel and plate 51.87
hsc headers plus shiping 896.63
hsc cooling package and shiping 667.58
cpu vats and rear o2 removel 125
j30 rear end 253
4" exhaust tip 24.99
18" or 3" exhaust pipe 5.99
new thermstat ,houseing, gasket 38.27
plugs for gauges, hood pins, toggle switch 30.62
12' of battery cbale,battery top post, more wire stuff 53.93
6' of 3" exhaust 18
6' of 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 angle iron 21
more wire stuff, toggle switch 16.47
main battery fuse 54.49
intake clamps, k&n filter, new check rngine light 65.67
heater hose, clamps 15.84
new steel drive shaft 275.32
misc exhaust 17.53
fuel system, dip stick, intake 90 618.85

total. 7769.3

btw:i got the blickers working. i didnt have the emergency flasher switch pluged up cause the dash wasnt in the car. the only thing not working now is the front parking lights (dunno why, maybe just a fuse). and wipers will not work cause the plug to them was part of the engine harness. but i found a thread with some wire info for them.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:25 PM   #208
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
I already sold my engine harness... doh! I was pretty proud of myself for not damaging/crushing a single connector. I've got an s14 as well. So if you figure out a solution for the wipers PLEASE please post it up! Do you know of anything else that relies on the engine harness?

Did all J30s come with limited slips? Was it a direct bolt in to the s14? Does it always lay two nice stripes?
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:49 PM   #209
fouz

only thing i found thats was part of the engine harness was the wipers. as i said my front corner light aint working. dunno why for sure. but everything down to the electic mirrors work.

link to info on wiper wires. http://www2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=157283
yet to test the info. but im only going to hook up my wipers for high and thats it. and im not useing the plug for the wiper. just some 1/4" wire connects will fit on the wiper plugs. im sure with some work you could use the stock wiper switch but im not going to.

on the rear end. from everything i heard all infinty cars come with lsd. just turn the output shafts and both should turn the same way and should be harder to turn then a open one. they say 95+ j30s are bolt on. the one i got was a 95 and its a bolt-on. get your drive shaft made after you get your rear end cause its got a abs sensor on the front making it 3/4" longer then the 240 (unless yours has abs). they say the q45 is a bolt-on but the one i saw at the yard wasnt. cause i wanted the q45 for the higher gears. just look at the output shaft before buying it. they should have 3 sets of 2 bolts. like a triangle shape with 2 bolts and each point. the q45 i saw was a 5 star bolt pattern. i havent really got out and looked at the tire marks but atm im not running matching tires. i have one odd rim and tire on the back. 3 stock rims and tires and one thats a 17x7 rim that im useing as a spare. and the tire thats on the 17x7 dont grip like the ones on the stock rims. as hard as it pulls i pretty sure they are both griping.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:28 PM   #210
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showth...hlight=vq+swap

I don't see were the extra 100lbs is comming from....

500lbs > 630. Stop unsing weight reduction as a reason for this swap. Distrubition may be better though.