Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
boatwright_doug
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
boatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
S13 2jz gte VVT-i

Bought my coupe two years ago and had always contemplated on what to do with it. Did I want to keep it stock and do suspension work and let it be a daily/corner car, should I KA-T it, I'm not much of a SR kinda guy. Then I sat there and thought about a JZ, I loved the sound of a JZ back before I really knew anything about Toyota motors. So I went and did research and did some talking around and finally to put my finger on a 2j, called up my buddy's uncle whom works at JDMenginezone.com and got my price/ship and next thing I know, I come home and help the shipper haul it in my garage.
I unwrapped this sucker the moment he left, I was like a kid in a candy store. (Let's be honest all motors are obtainable and there just motors, big whoop, but out here in good old '302' there aren't very many builds around here). My goal for this was to tear off all the junk is didn't need, do all the maintenance work, and set her in the coupe and just drive it. So without further a do I went at the motor. Not looking for the internet for help and what needs to come off and stay on. I figured best way to learn was to just do it. So my girlfriend (at the time) and I just took it slow and piece by piece came off, my main goal was to take the JDM manifold off and slap a USDM manifold on, didn't want to worry about disassemble of both turbos etc etc. Finally got the sucker off and got my US setup, I then decided to just put a halt on ripping it apart and just take a breath, gather all my parts and have at it again. Currently waiting on my oil pump assembly and gaskets then I can throw it back together, and mock it in the car. In the mix of doing all this I ended up buying a S14 Zenki (3rd owner) and only had 130xxx on the dash when bought. Slapped the s13 trans in it, coils and Wheels and I was on my way. Still waiting on parts and other accessories for the 2jz I decided to go ahead and get some other goodies for the JZ setup, I'm picking up my Z32 trans in a few weeks, with that I picked up a Q45 diff with the z32 N/A axle and Q45 axle. Figured why not try and get a little bit better gear ratio. As weeks go by it seems that the money coming in seems to fly out faster. Never enough money to do it all. Time and money, I promised myself I wouldn't cheap out on it weather or not I'm laying serious power or stock. I figure while I wait on parts and money I could clean up the engine bay, so I took it all apart, sanded it down with 80 grit for the little rusty areas and went over it with 150 grit. Used rattle can 'high build' primer since I don't have my compressor yet to lay good / thick primer down. Still have to fix the comment frame rail rust and a few other parts but all in due time. Do it right or not all, right? My plan for the 2jz was just to make it a all around fun car, track, drag, drift, daily, you name it. With all the right suspension set up it outa do it. Right now it's got the Tanabe sway bars for clearance of the 2jz, the normal Tein tie rods, Megan tension arms, and will be getting the Voodoo suspension kit. At the end of the day I'm shooting for 350 out of those little turbos. I know the internet warriors say you can only get maybe 300-330hp out of them but a man can only hope. I figured why not try to free up all the excess weight and try to squeeze a few more ponies, so I first went with the GReddy light weight pulleys, and Lord the difference between a stock pully and the GReddy. Imagine having a 10lb weight in one hand and a piece of paper in the other, it's crazy, also due to the normal harmonic balance failure of them liking to fly off cause the 15 year old rubbers aren't cutting it, I decided to go with a Fluiddamper balancer. There is still lots let to do and buying things in-between of parts/tools like a HKS turbk timer and other interior parts like a bucket seat and little cool parts is what takes so long but at the end of the day. It's my car and j say when it hits the road. Most of my friends rag on me about it not running yet but they're over here in a hacked at 240 that barely runs under its own power. So I say standout.
All of these pictures are a little old but they serve the Justice.
It's kinda cool having all kinds of extra 240 parts laying around but that's for another thread.
Thanks for reading my jumble of notes, also still have a lot to research and lots of questions.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
boatwright_doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
STR8 H8N
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
STR8 H8N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
awesome build pics
STR8 H8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #3
boatwright_doug
Leaky Injector

boatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura aboutboatwright_doug has a spectacular aura about
Little update since April, picked up my Tanabe downpipe (supra), tanabe rear swap var, sikky front sway bar, Vibrant intercooler, and I got a solid deal on some used Stance USA coil overs. Car is currently suspended in the air, gonna drop the crossmember and do some cleaned and uncoating. Figured I'd start fresh and clean so if I look under the car I won't be thinking that the JZ has a leak. Getting ready to Purchase my Zero lift engine mounts (trans mount will be for sale due to it being a R154 mount), Colins Performance Tras adapter for the Z32 bellhousing w/mount, figured I would pick up my slim cooking fans so when I begin the mock up possess and I catch all the tight spots early. Rather than after I paint the engine bay. No sense in doing all the work to turn around and scratch it back up.
Question, anyone have trouble with Stance USA coils? These are gonna be on for awhile until I'm ready to snag some Tein coils (down the road). Also I get all my parts and lend a hand at my local performance shop. Called Jtune Performance

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #4
boatwright_doug
Leaky Injector

Old 07-16-2016, 06:53 AM   #5
boatwright_doug
Leaky Injector

Front swap bar (top)
Intercooler cooler (bottom)

Old 07-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #6
boatwright_doug
Leaky Injector

Front sway bar (top box)
Intercooler (bottom)

Old 08-06-2016, 07:00 AM   #7
boatwright_doug
Leaky Injector

**update**
Motor is in the car (mock test). The Colins Performance motor mount bolts are to short, plus the exhaust side mount bracket has to be shaved so the stock turbo oil return tube can fit, most likely will just cut the tube back and run a longer rubber line to save the hassle. Other than that, she dropped in just fine. Currently browsing for Q45 driver axle and rear hubs so I can swap my q45 diff over and run five lug. Call driveshaft shop and get my driveshaft made, hook it all up, find the best spot for the motor to sit (with this brackets, I have three inches to move the motor back or forth) so the slim fans will fit fine. Then she's off to the shop to get the custom intercooler plumbing made. So this next step with take a bit. Will definitely post how all the q45 parts fit up.