Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
driftshark

Trader Rating: (0)
driftshark is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 V8 Build

Building my 1990 S13 while going to school for engine machining. I recently finished my fab class where I built my tubed front end. Not quite finished with it but its close and as of right now I'm stripping interior and prepping for a rewire.

Build list is as follows...
ENGINE- LM7 iron block. Stock bottom end freshened up with new rings and bearings. ARP rods bolts and head studs. New starter, new water pump, hi flow oil pump etc...
862 heads going 2 inch valve unless I can get my hands on some ls1/ls6 heads. Polished exhaust runners and slightly ported intakes. Tick turbo cam, BTR springs, titanium retainers, new locks, ls6 rockers (trunion upgrade), new pushrods (7.4), ls7 lifters, ls9 mls head gasket
Holley high ram intake with their fuel rails, 91 or 93 tune, ls1 coilpacks and plugs, nice gasket set
FUEL- Holley rails, intank 340 lph walboro i think... cobra svo 42# injectors, FPR, etc give me suggestions for TB's
ELECTRONICS- hptuners ecu, custom body harness, wiring specilties harness, custom dash and gauge cluster, custom switch panel
SUSPENSION- Max coilovers, still working on this portion what i will be starting out with...
Still considering swap kits, sikky or hooker headers kit
Hooker headers or sikky headers
Custom exhaust, exit before rear tire
Custom tubed front end eventually custom rear tubed end
Hydraulic hand brake
Etc..... drift shit you know.

Leave some feedback on my planned setup i'm always interested in other v8 owners opinions. Thanks
driftshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2016, 11:32 PM   #2
Do_work.

Do_work. is an unknown quantity at this point
Build list looks good so far. Just curious as to why you plan on running a turbo cam on an n/a LM7. Those 862 heads should be just fine. What's your power goals? What tranny do you plan on running?
Old 06-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #3
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

BoostyMcZface is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like you're setting it up for boost... have you considered the L33? Aluminum block, better heads, etc. Fueled Racing makes a decent swap kit. Also you'll need a rear end setup as well. Could use LS6 intake vs the holley too. Also I like Aeromotive pumps vs Walbro. I run a 340 Aeromotive, works great.
BoostyMcZface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Let us know your goal and if you are going FI and I can help chime in with my experience.

Fueled Racing swap kit. Used a few different kits and that was for sure the best setup in my opinion.

862 heads will do just fine. They have been pushed past 700rwhp time and time again.

If you are going FI then the Holley High Ram isnt necessary and that cash can be spent elsewhere. LS1 is less ideal and LS6 intake is more desired choice for boost.

Used Aeromotive 340s on two builds with no problems but i did upgrade the wiring on each. I have used Bosch 044 and love them but they are bulkier pumps.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
driftshark

Hey thanks for he replies guys. Yes I completely left out the part where this is going to have a s475 strapped on someday hence the turbo cam. I have considered aluminum and I'm also strongly considering buying a aluminum block with lower miles and driving it. As in a ls2 or ls3. Undecided still... Iron for boost though, shooting for 600 wheel. I know that's a walk in the park for a 5.3. If I ended up with an all aluminum motor like a ls2 I'd stay NA. Welding the diff up in school this year. Aero motive 340 is what I was thinking as well... I'll look into he fueled racing kit. I'll ditch the high ram I suppose.. It was more of a bling factor really.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #6
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

If you have the LM7 I would say boost the balls off that baby all day long. As for the S475, I am pretty sure that would not be ideal for a drift setup. I had my S475 but never drove it. However on my buddies LS1 setup the boost kicked in at about 4500 RPM or so...you could expect that to be a little bit higher with a 5.3.

The L33 has proven to be effective as well but generally more expensive and rare to find. If you are going NA then yes the LS2 or LS3 would be a great choice. For that price I would personally look at the iron 6.0 as they can be had for cheaper and the weight situation never really bothered me (100 lbs or so difference) especially with the offset in power.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:30 AM   #7
Do_work.

@2muchboost I'm fixing to put that meth kit I got from you to the test here soon on a 80mm turbo this go round!!! Hopefully I'll make it to 750+ some.

And yes like everyone else is saying the L33's are the best choice for 5.3's if you can find one and can pay that pretty penny. When boosting these LSX motors iron block 4.8's, 5.3's, and 6.0's are definitely the way to go IMO just because they are so readily available and cheap. With the S475 you would wait a little bit for boost but once it's there you better hold on. You could start with a 6.0 and some 243 or 317 head to get it spooling a little quicker. If you plan on boosting it get some bigger injectors, I'm running 83# Deka's, and go ahead and throw 2 Aeromotive 340's in the tank also. That's what I'm running as well. Never want to run out of fuel
Old 06-07-2016, 02:34 AM   #8
Do_work.

Also if you plan on sliding it you'd probably be better suited with a smaller borg warner or a lighter precision, turbonetics, or something along that line. I believe the S475 is somewhere along the lines of 50lbs. And if you can weld.... Well then that could solve your engine mount and tranny mount situation for damn near free
Old 06-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #9
driftshark

Mainly interested in the borg because theyre so damn cheap! A 6.0 would be ideal but as I be realistic with my budget the 5.3 is my best bet..... for now. Oh yeah I can weld but I dont have access to equipment. Not really too conscerned about turbo stuff right now, but do need to determine a general size so i buy the right cam. Im looking a LJMS cams and TICK cams..
Old 06-09-2016, 04:44 AM   #10
waterboy
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
waterboy can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My 5.3 has a s475 t4 housing and a btr stage 1 cam
I'm going to the dyno tomorrow for tuning ,I will let you know what happens with numbers and when the turbo lights
Old 06-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #11
waterboy
Zilvia Member

Made roughly 500hp at about 6psi boost came in around 2800 spooled loud and fast with rich afr's
Gonna finish tuning this week
Old 06-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #12
driftshark

Awesome waterboy, looking forward to the final results.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:20 PM   #13
waterboy
Zilvia Member

550hp and 600ft lbs 12psi no clue what happened at the dyno today but I will probably get it retuned by someone else but it should still be fun
Old 06-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #14
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Nice results regardless. By what RPM do you see "full boost" if you dont mind me asking.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #15
waterboy
Zilvia Member

full boost by 3000rpm boost starts around 2500
Old 06-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #16
driftshark

waterboy is this a drift setup? Also if you dont mind posting some details about your engine and setup that would be great
Old 06-15-2016, 04:26 AM   #17
waterboy
Zilvia Member

I will when I get it back from the shop, it's mainly just a street car
Old 06-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #18
Stein180sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Stein180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Where is the build at?
Stein180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #19
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

BoostyMcZface is an unknown quantity at this point
for me the l33 made sense vs the ls3 due to price. 5k or so average for the ls3, and I can have a boosted l33 for less than that.. 1k for motor average on car-part.com and 100k miles doesn't matter, worn in means not having to gap the rings. as long as the comp test is fine, idk. head studs, valve springs, hardened push rods, ls9 head gasket, ls6 intake and cam and you're golden. 1k for motor, 500 or so for supporting mods, lets say a grand for turbo. 2500 bucks for the power you want, plus its aluminum. that's why I chose it over ls2 or ls3. hell I can even buy a brand new t56 magnum and be the same price as a decent ls3 on its own lol

definitely interested in seeing these builds, though
BoostyMcZface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #20
STR8 H8N
BANNED

STR8 H8N is an unknown quantity at this point
no pics here?
STR8 H8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #21
STR8 H8N
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8 H8N View Post
no pics here?
Build threads go through a review, you have yet to post anything worthy of a build thread.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #22
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Why is this in build threads?
ryandriftingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #23
driftshark

Sorry doods couldn't figure out how to post pics.. Haven't been on here in awhile. Someone give me a pointer on how to post them. Pretty slow build at this point, I'm gonna be going to school and building the motor in a few months so that will speed the process up some.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #24
STR8 H8N
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftshark View Post
Sorry doods couldn't figure out how to post pics.. Haven't been on here in awhile. Someone give me a pointer on how to post them. Pretty slow build at this point, I'm gonna be going to school and building the motor in a few months so that will speed the process up some.
You didn't even post a build. Bye.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #25
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Build threads go through a review, you have yet to post anything worthy of a build thread.
............I have never seen a more butthurt individual in my life lol!

Mods deleted your thread with no pictures and suddenly you just want to watch the world burn because the one time, someone took your ball and told you stop throwing it at people........... I blame trump
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #26
STR8 H8N
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post

Mods deleted your thread with no pictures and suddenly you just want to watch the world burn because the one time, someone took your ball and told you stop throwing it at people........... I blame trump
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=631994

Old 07-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #27
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
I am referring to the last of your 4 failed attempts at a so called "build" thread and your (failed) attempt to troll

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=632592

But...........Let me rephrase

How does your first thread, with a picture of a car infront of a house and a bunch of parts or your second with a shift knob and a wheel with no tire constitute a build thread??

I'll just go ahead and repeat what I mentioned above for effect

Quote:

I hate today's selfish "me me me" or watch the world burn culture. This is exactly why we have Donald Frump as the GOP primary.........
Old 07-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #28
STR8 H8N
BANNED

Quote:
I am referring to the last of your 4 failed attempts at a so called "build" thread and your (failed) attempt to troll

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=632592

But...........Let me rephrase

How does your first thread, with a picture of a car infront of a house and a bunch of parts or your second with a shift knob and a wheel with no tire constitute a build thread??

I'll just go ahead and repeat what I mentioned above for effect

I hate today's selfish "me me me" or watch the world burn culture. This is exactly why we have Donald Frump as the GOP primary.........
youre right this build thread is soooooooo much better

Old 07-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #29
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
youre right this build thread is soooooooo much better

And you still didn't answer my main and very relevant question........
Old 07-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #30
STR8 H8N
BANNED

Quote:

And you still didn't answer my main and very relevant question........
This is the build section, here is how it works
This is the build threads section. We did not want one, but people were ruining chat with a million build threads so it had to be.
All forum rules still apply. This one most especially:

Quote:
Build Threads

Almost everyone enjoys building their cars and sharing that experience, as well as checking out others' builds for inspiration. Sadly, far too many users have a tendency to do half-hearted builds and either rarely update or update with trivial progress. In the interest of keeping the Chat forum clear of three hundred 'Install SR, ziptie aero, rattlecan paint' threads, incomplete, or in-progress build threads are not allowed. If you have completed your build, wrangle all those pictures into a post and tell us about it, but make sure the build is finalized. If you insist on having an in-progress build, Premium members have a specialized subforum for that specific purpose.
This is the ONLY place for a build thread to be posted. If they're placed anywhere else on the forum, expect them to be closed and never moved. The only ones that get moved to here are ones that existed before the section was created, the date and time are appended to THIS post.

Threads in this section will require moderator approval before posting, and all threads consisting of parts lists and "I plan to..." with no actual building taking place will not be approved. Same applies for still-stock cars with a cache of yet-to-be installed parts.