Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #301
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
^ I recommend not going to a parking lot at ALL. just go to the track and do it from there. 626 ones help noobs a lot :P
iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #302
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Obviously you can't learn how to do everything online, but it gives a good idea on what should be done.

I see nothing wrong with the information that has been posted.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #303
jspec240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (19)
jspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Thanks again ^^^ I do agree that you shouldnt go out and practice in a parking lot but dont tell me that you never have. Im gettin old so I stick to the track.

We were actually allowed to do it on base in Yokota for about 10 years in the JR highschool parking lot.

Man I miss the good old days.

although if there isnt a track around for miles Id still find some flat paved ground off the street

661 sliders Gymkhana @ buttonwillow
http://zilvia.net/f/south-western-st...-sessions.html

>> Bakersfield Hook up thread <<
jspec240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #304
Krimlin
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Krimlin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When I had the KA I didn't care about the tranny nor the motor so I stuck to shift locking, clutch kicks, and feint.

E-brake... Never used it as initiation, and hardly used it on mid drift.

Now I have the V8 power, that pretty much changes the game, and I'll find out when I can make it to an event...
Old 08-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #305
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I agree that drifting should be kept on the track as much as possible but thats pretty hard. I am not advocating drifting in the street at all but if you can find a nice secluded lot near you were theres no property to damage then go for it. Track days can be very expensive, very very very expensive... even getting out to the track once a month is hard I am only going to end up having 2 days of track time this year. I can attribute alot of my progression to practicing in my super dooper secret drift spot lot. Plus alot of people live far away from events.

But anywho my prefered entry is a light feint followed by a very aggressive clutch kick. Then countersteer and let the car set. Then stand on it and roast some rubber. I use this technique with my buddies sr s13 about 300whp and coilovers. My s13 is very stock (welded diff and tein springs) and I have to modify this technique buy entering at a much higher speed and doing a much much much more aggressive feint.

I was at the track yesterday and demostrated the my technique perfectly one of the club members was taping the event so I will post a link once he gets done editing.
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #306
pinkarrowsnow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
pinkarrowsnow has a spectacular aura aboutpinkarrowsnow has a spectacular aura aboutpinkarrowsnow has a spectacular aura aboutpinkarrowsnow has a spectacular aura aboutpinkarrowsnow has a spectacular aura aboutpinkarrowsnow has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
go to a track youll figure it out quick enough just remember when you think your going fast your not going fast enough.
pinkarrowsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #307
JohnnyDrfiter22
Zilvia Addict

JohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura about
depends on track and car setup....

Coming into first corner which is always the fastest straight, i either brake hard shift into 2nd, E-brake, steer in, that instantly steer out while holding on the gas.

For lower speed corners i clutch kick, i have a kaaz 2way. for faster entries, i Ebrake cause i feel the clutch kick gives it way to much momentum. im still learning alot and trying to figure out different techniques.
JohnnyDrfiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #308
BradGriffith1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
BradGriffith1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
powa thru son, powa thru.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #309
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
for those that brake and then downshift.....

try a heavy feint into a drift with maybe a clutch kick (depending on how much grip your car has), and then e brake into the corner....it'll give you a more gangster entry....and once you are sliding into the apexi....stand on that bitch! lol
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #310
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
for those that brake and then downshift.....

try a heavy feint into a drift with maybe a clutch kick (depending on how much grip your car has), and then e brake into the corner....it'll give you a more gangster entry....and once you are sliding into the apexi....stand on that bitch! lol
It's all about the feint and standing on it!
This is from my autocross go to 3:00/4th lap to get to my drifting.. I had a long day and got tired so I couldn't keep up with my steering.. More info if you go the actually youtube.

Stock KA like fc there. =D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cbk2QUJGAo#
Who needs power!! =P
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #311
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
eventually, you won't have to keep up with your steering at all...

below is in car with the wife video taping from her camera
YouTube - &#x202a;in car steering wheel drifting&#x202c;&lrm;

and this is what it looks like from outside...I was trying to tell omar to slow down since he has a whole 110 horses on my car....oh well. close enough.

YouTube - &#x202a;tandem drift&#x202c;&lrm;

March Madness on Vimeo blue s14...spinning 18's
Old 08-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #312
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

your hands look so calm driving I look like i am juggling hot coals
Old 08-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #313
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by word sux View Post
your hands look so calm driving I look like i am juggling hot coals
I've had a lot of practice.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #314
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Yeah fckillerbee your hands are doing work with out working. That's how drifting should be done.

Newer ppl tend to think they need to steer a LOT more than they need to. Being smooth with the steering is key to good drifts, as well as being smooth with your throttle input.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #315
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Yeah fckillerbee your hands are doing work with out working. That's how drifting should be done.

Newer ppl tend to think they need to steer a LOT more than they need to. Being smooth with the steering is key to good drifts, as well as being smooth with your throttle input.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #316
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
eventually, you won't have to keep up with your steering at all...
If I had more space I'd be smoother. But I have to steer to point and aim the car without hitting cones. Idk I'm just full throttle a lot or else I lose speed... =/
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #317
Hellspeaker

Hellspeaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Can anyone explain to me what "double clutching" means? Ive been basically a gear banger and only dragged in my past. I drive a 1998 Mustang Gt...flame away it is what it is. I'm going to be getting into an s14 soon tho and drifting has always been a dream to me. Any advice? What do i need to know?
Hellspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #318
GabeS14
Post Whore!

GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellspeaker View Post
Can anyone explain to me what "double clutching" means? Ive been basically a gear banger and only dragged in my past. I drive a 1998 Mustang Gt...flame away it is what it is. I'm going to be getting into an s14 soon tho and drifting has always been a dream to me. Any advice? What do i need to know?
on building the car:,
(if it's not setup yet.)
concentrate on suspension first!(coilovers/camber and toe arms)primarilly
LSD(or welded diff ) is a must!

after that you can get sway bars braces roll cage etc..but the ones i posted should be your priority..
after you set with suspension, then move on to engine upgrades.

on learning to drift:

I had gone to a couple track events and tried doing doughnuts, j-turns, first and then small drift turns on the track, but didnt advance much,
the next time i went I followed a friends advice, i went straight into practicing drifting the bank, long drifts are easier to learn,
if you have a very wide parking lot start with very wide circles, and as you slowly speed up and the rear end starts to slide out, start a slow steady counter steer.
i learned to drift in about 10 minutes after doing that, once i felt confident in that(aprox 1 hr of doing left drifts and right dirfts) i went to the regular track tuns and its was a piece of cake.
that's my opinion. and Iv'e seen it work with many guys who had been battling the suposedly easy j-turns and doughnuts and simple turn drifts ..

make sure you have enough room for error in case you spin out.
a track with a very wide circular area is best for this.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #319
GabeS14
Post Whore!

GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
on the hand movement issue..check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms6F75Vg13A
Old 08-11-2010, 03:41 AM   #320
Hellspeaker

Ive done a bit in my old Mustang, it was a 2007 GT...alot easier to slide around then the one i have now. As far as the Ka that are in the s14's...are they okay motors to roll with? I know suspension gets upgraded first but ive heard baaaad things about kas.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #321
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Ive done a bit in my old Mustang, it was a 2007 GT...alot easier to slide around then the one i have now. As far as the Ka that are in the s14's...are they okay motors to roll with? I know suspension gets upgraded first but ive heard baaaad things about kas.
Wtf? what BAD things did you hear about the KA? KA's are stronger then you would believe with that iron block. A whole bunch of people on Zilvia are running KA's and are having fun with them at the track. at least explain what you've heard so we can disprove you.
Just in case you were wondering.. I have a soft spot for KA's :]. They are strong motors waiting to get turbo'd the crap out of. Just don't like it when people speaketh before they knoweth anything . Have fun with your SR swap since that's how you feel already.

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #322
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheyi View Post
Wtf? what BAD things did you hear about the KA? KA's are stronger then you would believe with that iron block. A whole bunch of people on Zilvia are running KA's and are having fun with them at the track. at least explain what you've heard so we can disprove you.
Just in case you were wondering.. I have a soft spot for KA's :]. They are strong motors waiting to get turbo'd the crap out of. Just don't like it when people speaketh before they knoweth anything . Have fun with your SR swap since that's how you feel already.
ka's are strong motors...i first motor finally died after 251k. And that is beating the fuck out of it every event....never lifting....driving as hard as I possibly can.

Henry Schelley (just drift) ran a whole formula d season on a built ka turbo....granted henry is a genious when it comes to building things....but I believe he was running a constant 24 lbs of boost on forged internals and stock cams....

he's since put that into hes new s14.

I've rocked the KA for two years now...will be boosting soon, but just like anything....you pay for what you get...don't be cheap on building power!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #323
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
no offense....but google is a search engine. If you google double clutch...wiki pedia comes up....but if that's too much, i did post the definition of double clutching a couple pages back
Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #324
vibe240

vibe240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
what you need to know?

just go to the track and don't forget to have fun.

oh and I find double clutching useless, take too much time and concentration for nothing.
vibe240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #325
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

i think he meant clutch kick...

yea idk it really depends on style i am an all out balls to the wall style driver and look like a crack head trying to do the monkey. my buddy is more of a finese driver and has calmer hands so I think it just comes down to style.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #326
Hellspeaker

Just heard they break to easy and dont handle boost well...honestly though these stupid folks around here down really know jack sheet. Ive been looking into the ls1 swap and i have to say im enticed about as much as i can be.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #327
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

If you can afford to go LSx right away, that is the easiest way to go, but if you are learning....i would recommend driving the ka till you have completely pushed it's limits.

Like Castro said.....it'll make you a better driver once you hop into a car with power...

like hitting the drift button switch
Old 08-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #328
CrazyRob
Zilvia Member

CrazyRob is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CrazyRob
dont ever make your car drive better than you.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:18 AM   #329
Hellspeaker

Oh i definately plan on sliding the hell out of the KA till im comfy. I want the ls1 swap like a fat kid want cake tho. All i really want out of the motor is 400hp and thats easy peasy.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 AM   #330
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

make sure you know what you are getting yourself into with an ls swap its gonna be 10-15k to do it right. and yea you are so right about hitting the drift button stepping into a good car

I am about to order PBM coilovers and full suspension arms + subframe inserts for my car