Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
2F0-T
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
2F0-T is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
74 260z, need ideas

Hey guys, i got a little 260z with the L26 engine in it. I want to drop an RB20DET in it, does anyone hav any thing or a website with good info for a swap? And post anything with parts for sale lol.
Thanks,
Tanner

Last edited by 2F0-T; 05-10-2010 at 12:21 PM..
2F0-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Bobadrift
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Bobadrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Try Hybridz to look up swap info and general information regarding your Z.

Last edited by Bobadrift; 05-07-2010 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Added a link
Bobadrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
pat1
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
pat1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I swapped a rb20 into my datsun 280z. I was cake. Check out hybrid z on the rb forum. I have been building custom rear sump oil pans for the s30 rb swaps. I did a write up for the wiring also.
pat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
handinpants
FreshColdBeer.com

Trader Rating: (48)
handinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via AIM to handinpants
don't get an rb20, at least get a 25...

handinpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
pat1
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by handinpants View Post
don't get an rb20, at least get a 25...

why? the rb20 gets such a bad name for some reason. You CAN get good hp numbers out of a rb20. You have to ask yourself "how much power do you want". I have seen 398 hp out of a rb20. Shit Mine hauls ass. I'm very pleased with my rb20 and the swap cost me less than 2000.00.

bottom line the rb20 can produce good numbers.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
ChiSleepyEyes
Zilvia Member

ChiSleepyEyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ChiSleepyEyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat1 View Post

bottom line the rb20 can produce good numbers.
yes but it puts more stress on the engine to put down big numbers on a small engine
ChiSleepyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
2F0-T
Leaky Injector

this is going to be my DD, i thought abt the 25 and even the 26 with a 25 tranny but i dont need much hp. rb20s will rip and ill be happy with a little 2.0 liter lol. theyre cheap so why not? ill be satisfied with a little over 200 hp but pics should be up, its so rusty and im going to have alot of work to do haha, hopefully will be finished in the next two years..
Old 05-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
2F0-T
Leaky Injector

And I looked on hybridz and found mainly rb25 swaps..
Old 05-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
You should restore the chassis before bothering with a new motor.

My YouTube Channel
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
pat1
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2F0-T View Post
And I looked on hybridz and found mainly rb25 swaps..

because everybody thinks the rb20's are crap and can't make any power out of them. Which is wrong. the rb20 is a very easy swap and anyone can do it. I used the stock rb motor mounts and modified the stock z trans crossmember a little (took about ten minutes). The wiring was cake and I thaught my swap was going to take months to do, I had mine running and driving in about 2 weeks, The hardest part was the oil pan. You need a rear sump oil pan. I made my own and now I have been building them for the hybridz guys. check out this link. Also take a look at my posts on hybrid z. I posted pics and details about my swap.

I picked up a new sheetmetal brake and other toys for building these oil pans - HybridZ
Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
forget all these people saying 'swap the engine'.

Put about $5000 into fixing the chassis. Take everything apart, media blast it, cut and weld where the holes are....

...then consider an engine.

edit: just realized you are 16. Not to be blunt, but this is not the car for you.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:29 PM   #12
zspeedrft
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (54)
zspeedrft is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
hybridz.org
Old 05-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #13
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
every kid wants a skyline motor.. just chill dude. your 16, drive it as is and save up/work/school. This chassis looks like its got some serious rust problems, not to mention that it will need a serious go through , pretty much all new suspension, bushings, wheel bearings , and then there are the suspension and brake upgrade options.

Id search for a better chassis if I was gonna build up, otherwise with your car id just drive it as is, clean it up a little bit, but not make it a serious goal project car because your gonna invest soo much money that you could have just found a better car for cheaper.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
2F0-T
Leaky Injector

I'm starting with the chassis, then suspention, I already know what I'm doing any that. I just want ideas for an engine, I've already had a ka, ill never like srs lol, and vgs are to tight. The body isn't going to take 5 gs expecially since I have everything for it. Also, this isn't coming out of all my pocket, my grandparents are helping me.and what does me being 16 have anything to do with it? There's a kid on here younger than me with a 350
Old 05-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
2F0-T
Leaky Injector

I'm starting with the chassis, then suspention, I already know what I'm doing any that. I just want ideas for an engine, I've already had a ka, ill never like srs lol, and vgs are to tight. The body isn't going to take 5 gs expecially since I have everything for it. Also, this isn't coming out of all my pocket, my grandparents are helping me.and what does me being 16 have anything to do with it? There's a kid on here younger than me with a 350z
Old 05-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #16
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
well double posts for one...

people arent dogging your age, its just a lot of responsibility for someone that obviously doesnt have a ton of experience (no offense).

People are suggesting that you at least make your car reliable before you start even considering an engine swap. Nobody is saying "dont" or you "cant" they are just saying be smart about it.
plan your build before spending money, and understand that your starting 5 feet behind the start line with a chassis in that condition.

we all gotta start somewhere bro, just take the advice with a grain of salt, your not going to be doing anything that hasnt been done before.
Keep your focus, listen to your elders (with experience), avoid bullshit opinions, and youll eventually have what you want.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
ncbox

ncbox is an unknown quantity at this point
^x2

10char.
ncbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #18
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
and also you should never post your license plate or gf (or sister) on zilvia.

just for future reference.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #19
2F0-T
Leaky Injector

i couldnt really edit those with blackberry pics.. lol i need to edit those now, i know not to do that but thanks guys, this is just a project car for now.. it will take a while but ill post progress pics around next week, started cutting out rust and about to start welding in the floor board lol. summer time ill have money for s13 coils and rims/tires. stay posted
Old 05-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #20
2F0-T
Leaky Injector

and im not the only one in on this build, my grandpa is excited to help me with it so it should be fun.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #21
WizardBlack

WizardBlack is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, I am mostly on HybridZ.org since I have a 280Z and I am in the middle of an RB25DET swap. I will explain a couple facts for you:

1. PPl say stick with the stock motor because I have seen more power made out of an L than an RB20DET. Nothing against them, I think they are cool and they have plenty of capability. However, there is a lot of hidden costs in an RB swap unless you buy one already running and swapped into an S30. The L is a stout beast; the grandfather of the RB, so to speak. Don't underestimate it. With moderate modifications and above, my money is on the L.
2. There is a LOT of work needed on that chassis. You say you know what you're doing, fine. Go for it. No worries. Obviously the chassis will need repaired before handling a big chunk of RB power.
3. The reason most ppl go RB25 instead of RB20 is because the marginal cost difference is actually pretty small. As I said, lots of hidden costs. Unless you are keeping it very close to stock, there is no point in NOT spending an additional ~$500 for 25% more displacement.
4. Get ready to fork out $500+ for an oil pan. $200 for a rebuild kit. New pumps. Etc. Etc. Research it extensively. You can get a Megasquirt, manifold, turbo, fuel system, etc. for the cost to switch to an RB platform and you will have less displacement. You can get a spare L motor for $100 or so. How about that RB? Everything is more expensive; many by an order of magnitude. I know, since I have done both.

Anyways, nothing against Zilvia, but you are on the wrong forum for the best and most experienced member base for S30's. Just be sure you read and search and read and search before posting. Even a post like this would most likely get flamed a bit. Most anything you want to know is already covered on HybridZ.org.

Take Care,
Mark
WizardBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #22
dreamin240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
dreamin240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dreamin240sx
alrgiht guys i have personally seen this car and i dont even know why he has been trying to classify it to be a dd. this thing needs so much work. he traded a perfectly good running altima for this car. the only thing that was wrong with the altima was that he trashed the driverside fender and bent the suspension arm. it could have been very easily fixed. all i'm saying is hes only 16 he doesnt have a job hes really lazy and he just wont have the time. i give him credit for wanting to start a project like this. but there is no way in hell the 260 is ever going to be close to a dd. maybe in 3 years or so but thats it. cars get extremely expensive and they consume your life if your not careful. so i'd just take your time and find another car to drive everyday. well tanner i'll talk to ya lata.. holla
Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #23
Goelzers240sx

Goelzers240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Umm the thread says Z Chassis, maybe you should start on that first before you decide to think about what motor you want to put in it. You're retarded for wanting to trade your altima for this anyways, by the time you finish just the chassis there goes 4 altimas. But whatever it's not your money so I guess you don't have to worry about it.
Goelzers240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #24
2F0-T
Leaky Injector

shutup chris hahah. but you didnt see the altima after the wreck, the wheel was shuved thru the wheel well with the A arm bent and all of the springs, etc. the altima sucked anyways lol, we both know this but hurry up and get your 240 bud
Old 05-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #25
2F0-T
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin240sx View Post
alrgiht guys i have personally seen this car and i dont even know why he has been trying to classify it to be a dd. this thing needs so much work. he traded a perfectly good running altima for this car. the only thing that was wrong with the altima was that he trashed the driverside fender and bent the suspension arm. it could have been very easily fixed. all i'm saying is hes only 16 he doesnt have a job hes really lazy and he just wont have the time. i give him credit for wanting to start a project like this. but there is no way in hell the 260 is ever going to be close to a dd. maybe in 3 years or so but thats it. cars get extremely expensive and they consume your life if your not careful. so i'd just take your time and find another car to drive everyday. well tanner i'll talk to ya lata.. holla

nick, its not a DD lol. we both know this so go weld your roll cage on backwards haha
Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #26
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you can tackle this, just because you're 16 doesn't have anything to do with anything...

Just be sure to make sure you take your time, do your research and above all else...

GET RID OF THE RUST FIRST

without a reliable chassis, you're motor, whatever motor, will just tear the car apart....

just my .2
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #27
2F0-T
Leaky Injector

Thanks for the support man but I was mostly asking for engine ideas, no need for chassis ideas when I know the thing has killer rust but I guess that's what you get when you have a 36 year old car haha.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #28
dreamin240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
dreamin240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dreamin240sx
Tanner,
you are extremely ignorant. if you knew anything about rollcages you would know that it is not anything close to backwards. why dont you come back with something better than that.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #29
sirfallsalot243
BANNED

Trader Rating: (3)
sirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This is all you need to know:

Streeteg's Widebody, Rb25det Powered 260z - TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast
sirfallsalot243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #30
iskatelakai

iskatelakai is an unknown quantity at this point
yall a bunch a snip.
iskatelakai is offline   Reply With Quote