Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #91
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
are you building ducting for your v-mount setup, as I am curious as to how air is properly going to fly into the intercooler?

and you guys are just ridiculous with the suspension mods, geez.

The bubbler tank... I want that... genius, probably a bitch to install and remove lol.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #92
FullRaceGeoff
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
FullRaceGeoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tial's new wg - MVR (their new 44mm) was FINALLY released!! expecting to receive them early next week

om1kron - yes ducting is being constructed, will post pics when complete
FullRaceGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #93
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
awesome, I think your v-mount setup makes more sense cooling wise. Something about a super angular radiator just scares the shit out of me.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #94
FullRaceGeoff
Leaky Injector

this style vmount works extremely well - water temps were cool and rock solid, and iat was identical to my front mount
Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #95
Silviaoneday
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
Silviaoneday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Your style on the v-mount makes more sense to me than original way. Pretty bad ass to see a RB v-mounted!!
Silviaoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #96
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
How will forcing all that air under the car effect the aerodynamics of it?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #97
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
All the air that would pass through the FMIC and rad setup before would still go under the car, really shouldnt be any changes at all, and if he puts a splitter on that extends back under the IC it should help stabilize the air under the car a little bit.

***NASA HPDE Instructor***
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #98
MandTPhotography
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
MandTPhotography is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Subscribed....amazing. Simply amazing.
MandTPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #99
FullRaceGeoff
Leaky Injector

as promised - here is the latest update for you guys:

To start this installment, many hardcore car guy know that the best suspension in the world is MOTON. Seriously - nothing else comes close. I researched my options - considered ohlins, bilstein, kw, penske but at the end of the day, none had what i was looking for except Moton. I HATE upgrading parts and only want to buy good suspension once, so i bit the bullet and what showed up was heavenly. The quality of these absolutely exceeded expectation, and im blown away (im a very picky engineer, this doesnt happen often) suspension of this caliber is seriously next level :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown MOTON

^^ a total thing of beauty. Moton double adjustables (15 independant bump and rebound settings, blowoff valve system for high speed bump control, huge main piston, remote reservoir compression adjusters mounted on swivel banjo fittings (makes mounting them easy!), and 2.25" spring hardware.

^^this is the top-secret R14 front suspension ive never shown anyone before. consider yourselves lucky :rotflmao the Motons fit so perfect, its like the motons were just meant to be..

this is showing the drivers side remote reservoir compression adjuster

(pass side)

now to the rear --

installed (but waiting on the tender springs to arrive)

reservoir located, you can also see the fuel pump wiring

easy to see how the adjusters are mounted facing inwards, easy to access without removing the wheel

tire clearance at full droop

tire clearance at full bump

both reservoirs mounted, and the wing mount i am building now from 0.035 4130 cromoly

NEW prototype BorgWarner Twinscroll Turbo - dubbed S300'P'

^^^look at the super badass turbine wheel geometry and my favorite feature of all, the vband compressor hsg to CHRA. soooo slick. I am looking to spool 1000rpm quicker and make 700+whp at 30psi boost... this should do it.

the legendary extended tip compressor wheel design, this is only 61mm inducer / 83mm exducer turbo, just like a GT35R but it moves 72lb/min at full-tilt, HUGE airflow for this small of a turbo (35R is 62lb/min for example). take a look at the far tip you can see the little "peak" that is mountain shaped on the top of each blade? thats the extended tip

getting ready for the charge pipe modification

4" downpipe flange welded on

^^old vs new... you can see how much smaller the new turbo really is

^^got the manifold and downpipe 2000degree HPC coated, and will use DEI heat wrap on top of the coating to further reduce engine bay temps

Now just waiting on the *brand new* TiAL MVR 44mm wastegate -- hopefully will receive it soon!!

Front Aero

^^front splitter mounted on the car, you can also see the radiator ducting. coolers will be remounted and ducted next

^^strong enough for 330lbs @ 0mph, should handle 300+lbs downforce at 170mph!

Rear diffuser
to make a functional rear diffuser, it requires that there be an area with no obtrustions to block air from exiting under the chassis or from behind the tires. I started by cutting the quarter panels level with the frame rail, and then i cut out the spare tire well

^^cutting quarter panels level with the frame rail

^^removing spare tire well

^^20 ga steel plate fabricated, and mig tack'd in place.

^^welds cleaned up, spray painted grey

flat bottom rear is finished! now time to bolt up the diffuser when it gets back from powdercoat on monday :naughty

this bumper will be trimmed generously!

another shot of the rear, but this time the new spindles with proper toe rod geometry is installed

as she sits tonite, getting ready for a looong weekend!

now i have to corner weight the car, align it, and do a few tweaks from my friends from M-workz and motoIQ, then i can finish the aero, and turbo for one last update before the race. see you guys for one last update in 1 week!

Last edited by FullRaceGeoff; 03-25-2010 at 08:56 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #100
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
i hate you lol so jealous
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #101
army240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
army240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You guys are the best...

This is just a sick build!!!

Good luck!

Frank
army240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #102
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
I would like to see some companies (Garrett, Tial, etc.) come out with more "interesting" compressor housing designs....

Do you think there would be any gain from a smoother transition from compressor outlet to hotpipe?

Almost all turbo setups ask the air to take a 90* turn immediately after exiting the compressor.

Just wondering if there is a better way......

That thing looks ridiculous!

Btw Geoff, my buddy has a FullRace GT35R kit (mani, turbo, twin 38mm Tials) that we just put on his RB26....tomorrow is the big day, we are getting tuned by Evans!

Let me ask you directly....

For a STOCK RB with just your manifold and GT35R.....

He is running the OEM GTS pump in series with a Walbro (255 lph) external inline pump.

I was debating with him whether or not that is going to be enough.....what is your take?

Btw, he is running 1000cc IDs...

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #103
FullRaceGeoff
Leaky Injector

later this year you are going to see a LOT of interesting developments in the turbocharging world - turbo technology will make a huge leap forwards

i suggest your friends stock RB get a set of tomei poncams or hks 264 - its a HUGE benefit to have these in for the dyno, and they work just fine on stock head/valvesprings/shims. I would think he will have enough fuel with that setup, but dont really know for sure - maybe would be a good idea to make sure you are watching the fuel pressure gauge during the dyno runs
Old 03-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #104
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRaceGeoff View Post
later this year you are going to see a LOT of interesting developments in the turbocharging world - turbo technology will make a huge leap forwards

i suggest your friends stock RB get a set of tomei poncams or hks 264 - its a HUGE benefit to have these in for the dyno, and they work just fine on stock head/valvesprings/shims. I would think he will have enough fuel with that setup, but dont really know for sure - maybe would be a good idea to make sure you are watching the fuel pressure gauge during the dyno runs
Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I have tried to get my 2 friends with RBs to do some sort of a mild cam (the one has a Greddy IM), but neither of them are willing/want to do it....it's a really easy install, especially if you aren't touching the valves/springs.

I am just worried, bc the "rule of thumb" I've read is that 2 similar pumps in series flows only about 20% more than the smaller pump.

Both pumps are 255 lph....so that's roughly 300 lph....he will probably be okay, I just don't want to see (Jeff) Evans have to stop short of the maximum possible output bc my buddy was too lazy/cheap to do a proper fuel setup...

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #105
NMs14.5kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (38)
NMs14.5kouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
I love this build! that car is freakin amazing!!

does borgwarner make a twin scroll turbo that would be similar to a 3071/76? i may decide to get one of those later on instead of the garrett im running...
NMs14.5kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #106
FullRaceGeoff
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMs14.5kouki View Post
I love this build! that car is freakin amazing!!

does borgwarner make a twin scroll turbo that would be similar to a 3071/76? i may decide to get one of those later on instead of the garrett im running...
yes - take a look at the S200 (T3 Twinscroll) and S200SX (T4 twinscroll) turbos they are great performers, the T4 works best for a 1.00-1.09-1.15 a/r on an SR20
Old 03-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #107
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT!!!!!

but I'd settle for a ride in it eventually. srsly tho, when I get my car running I'm planning a small vacation to AZ in my S13. Gotta see this beast of and R14 in person!
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #108
RB24_S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
RB24_S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is one of the best builds I have ever seen. Godamn! AWD RB26..cant get any better. Is there a HP limit? because I know if you guys wanted more power out of the RB it would be unstopable!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #109
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Serious business time!

Loving the suspension and aero mods.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #110
lightsource
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (41)
lightsource is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to lightsource
AHHHH!!! Okay.... I can't believe I just saw all of this win in just two pages.

Good luck w. everything +subscribed, sickest S14 project i've seen yet.
lightsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #111
n8RPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
n8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
MY GOD!!!! I remember the issue of Modified with this 240 and was like holly SH*T!!! AMAZING JOB GUYS!!!! Keep it up!!!
n8RPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #112
FullRaceGeoff
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
-- pump gas at 19psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff

^^^E85 Tune@20 psi -- wayyy laggy + weird dip??
so we got that weird dip figured out tonite, and why it was so laggy -- there was a small tear in the wastegate diaphragm! this caused extra lag, and weird behavior when the wastegate was opening.

NOTE: LEARN FROM MY ERROR -- ALWAYS RUN THE WASTEGATES OFF COMPRESSOR HSG TO AVOID ANY VACUUM BEING SEEN BY THE WASTEGATE> IF YOU RUN WASTEGATE OFF OF INTAKE MANIFOLD USE A CHECK VALVE
Old 03-28-2010, 01:26 AM   #113
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
tial's new wg - MVR (their new 44mm) was FINALLY released!! expecting to receive them early next week
I'm very interested to see how small they can get the MVR ~ the standard 44mm seems much larger than it needs to be. Were you worried about running out of gate with two MV-S's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGLX View Post
All the air that would pass through the FMIC and rad setup before would still go under the car, really shouldnt be any changes at all, and if he puts a splitter on that extends back under the IC it should help stabilize the air under the car a little bit.
Correct!

Quote:
NOTE: LEARN FROM MY ERROR -- ALWAYS RUN THE WASTEGATES OFF COMPRESSOR HSG TO AVOID ANY VACUUM BEING SEEN BY THE WASTEGATE> IF YOU RUN WASTEGATE OFF OF INTAKE MANIFOLD USE A CHECK VALVE
I guess that makes sense, but I've never heard of the vacuum seen on a turbo motor being substantial enough to warrant a check valve. Glad you found the problem though!

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #114
FullRaceGeoff
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Were you worried about running out of gate with two MV-S's?.. I've never heard of the vacuum seen on a turbo motor being substantial enough to warrant a check valve
manifold was already flanged for 44mm, and coated.

its far more common than you think.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #115
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

timtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to timtiminy
just here watching... in awe
timtiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #116
RHD95S14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
RHD95S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Can you elaborate please? Wouldn't a check valve just keep building pressure inside the wg?
RHD95S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #117
FullRaceGeoff
Leaky Injector

check valve prevents it from seeing vacuum. boost only is what the wastegate should see.

the big benefit of the compressor housing being the source for wastegate signal is that there is no vacuum signal, there is no pressure drop across the intercooler, and no need for a check valve. so just drill and tap the comp hsg.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 AM   #118
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
check valve prevents it from seeing vacuum. boost only is what the wastegate should see.

the big benefit of the compressor housing being the source for wastegate signal is that there is no vacuum signal, there is no pressure drop across the intercooler, and no need for a check valve. so just drill and tap the comp hsg.
I always wondered why I've seen turbos with a fitting on them for this.... that makes sense.

The more you know?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #119
SpeedLoungeRich

SpeedLoungeRich is an unknown quantity at this point
Geoff... remember me? I had to join this forum just so I could follow this thread. We shot Jaden a few weeks ago and Jeff was telling me about the car... the thing looks sick man.

Please, please, please.. do us a favor and after you win this thing, contact Polyphony Digital and get them to finally come out and shoot/test the car so they can include it in Gran Turismo 5... it might be the only way I'll ever get to drive it, but that will be good enough....
SpeedLoungeRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #120
FullRaceGeoff
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedLoungeRich View Post
Jeff was telling me about the car... the thing looks sick man.

Please, please, please.. do us a favor and after you win this thing, contact Polyphony Digital and get them to finally come out and shoot/test the car so they can include it in Gran Turismo 5...
good to hear from you Rich! the car is actually still registered in NJ i will bring it back east probably after SEMA 2010.

the car is already in GT5!! they shot it at sema a few years back and its listed in their car list already, i should definitely contact someone to ask them to add a fixed tq split feature for my car tho!!