Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
One_love_silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Japanese Drifting Vs. American Drifting

This is why japanese drifting > american drifting..

angle> speed

YouTube - A. Kuroi Getting some Angle

YouTube - Best Drift Ever D1 Nissan Rps13

now for american drifting..

YouTube - Ryuji Miki vs John Wagner Formula Drift Atanta 2009

wtb moar angle...

just thought i'd share my opinion and see if people agree or differ.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
90hatchie
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (15)
90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 90hatchie
your comparing solo qualifying runs to tandem runs
qualifying runs are memnt to have big angle and such where tandem you wanna keep up with ur tandem partner and stay glued to him without the risk of spinning due to too much angle
Old 02-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

well....u got me on the solo vs. tandem thing. for some reason i didnt catch that. guess i was mesmerized by the angle lol

but for tandeming, all ur talking abt is the chase car. the lead car is still supposed to drive faster and out angle the chase car.

not to mention ive been to a formula d event, and even in the qualifying runs the drivers got no where near as much angle as these s13 drivers did. not to mention american drift cars probably arent even equipped with the right kind of mods/equipment to sustain a drift of that angle.

the most angle ive ever seen in a formula D race was 2010 irwindale (the one i went to) in the semi final round with JR versus Aasbo. Aasbo was gettin mad angle both runs. the crowd went wild. yet for some reason the judges still voted JR. to be the winner? the crowd was pissed. booing for like 2 mins straight.

american drifters dont go for angle because they know thats not the main thing the judges look for here. they mainly look for entrance speed, and speed maintained while drifting. those are the key factors to winning in FD USA.

in japan, the judges mainly look for angle, so the drivers give more angle.

of course all judges still take into account all the point systems, but each country has their thing that stands out the most.

and be aware, in no way am i saying japanese drifters are more SKILLED than american drifters (though they probably are) just because they can get more angle. im simply comparing the styles of drifting. and last time i checked, Drifting = angle driving....NASCAR = speed driving. check the countries of origin for them, and you'll understand why things are the way they are. FD USA is just nascar with a japanese touch to it.

still entertaining to watch however, since its really the main/only broadcasted drifting show in USA.
/end rant
Old 02-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
hartig
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
hartig is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
america is only about speed
/thread
Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartig View Post
america is only about speed
/thread
Clearly ur good at reading. Its a thread abt ppls opinion on jap drift vs. American drift.
And 90hatch I'm sure u can appreciate the first vid I posted, seeing its the dude in ur signature
Didn't know he died last year. That's shitty. RIP to a great drifter
Old 02-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
hartig
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_love_silvia View Post
Clearly ur good at reading. Its a thread abt ppls opinion on jap drift vs. American drift.
And 90hatch I'm sure u can appreciate the first vid I posted, seeing its the dude in ur signature
Didn't know he died last year. That's shitty. RIP to a great drifter
i clearly read, and i was agreeing with you. american drifting sucks because everyone just gets monstrous horsepower and just barely gets any angle.
so as i said, america only wants speed. they don't care how good it looks, they're just worried about how fast they can go.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
dksil80
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
dksil80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
well i mean drifting did start in japan.. and for them its more of art then sports? lol.. if you watch all the touge drifts on youtube that happens in japan.. its nothing like the d1 drifts. iono.. lol
Old 02-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartig View Post
i clearly read, and i was agreeing with you. american drifting sucks because everyone just gets monstrous horsepower and just barely gets any angle.
so as i said, america only wants speed. they don't care how good it looks, they're just worried about how fast they can go.
Ah I c. I apologize. Ur first response was really vague. This is the kinda response I was lookin for :P
And ya I agree. I mean I do see drifting as a sport, but I also love the fact that its an art form. Maybe that's y drifting got my attention...lol
Other than its pure badassness. XP
Old 02-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Schassis707
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
Schassis707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Japanese drifting started in the hills. It was street racers taking normal tuner cars and trying to get up/ down the hill the fastest. It is quicker to mash through and counter steer than to keep traction all the way through.

Also there its all formed with style. Here, like mentioned before its all speed.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Teddy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
Teddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Japanese drifting > American drifting any day.

But try telling that to an American and they will call you ignorant because they always have to be the "best" at everything.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
20 til 3
Zilvia Addict

20 til 3 is making his/her stupidity well-known20 til 3 is making his/her stupidity well-known20 til 3 is making his/her stupidity well-known20 til 3 is making his/her stupidity well-known
you guys make it sound like people only drift in japan and america. Its more of a national thing now.

and its not one over the other, everyone has there own style of drifting. And some people just have a little more style. I've seen plenty of US drifters that in my opinion have more skill.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
dksil80
Zilvia Member

the thing about the U.S is that, we dont have much place to drift.. especially here in dallas.. im into drifting but nothing i can do to actually get into it. sad aint it? LOL i wanna visit japan once and see it live hahaha
Old 02-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
Schassis707
Zilvia Addict

Schassis707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 til 3 View Post
you guys make it sound like people only drift in japan and america. Its more of a national thing now.

and its not one over the other, everyone has there own style of drifting. And some people just have a little more style. I've seen plenty of US drifters that in my opinion have more skill.
Well ya when its more generalized, there are always gonna be people that are better than others. And yes other people drift not just americans and japanese. But if you read the title even, OP wants feedback on american drifting and japanese drifting styles.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post

But try telling that to an American and they will call you ignorant because they always have to be the "best" at everything.
this is true.

if you ever drive with a guy from japan....they have "finess". they aren't concerned about anything but their line.

for example....watch any of the really good top drivers in d1....they don't brake check the following car...trying to make them fail. it's who can follow better. And they respect if someone is just better.

america is all about being number 1. cut throat. make money....no love for just the sport. that's why teddy is so hate on the v8...cause it's about being number 1. Not for the love of driving, because you can't enjoy a tandem with an opponent, if you guys are running two different power plants. two different boost settings, because driving against another car should be fun, and difficult....not easy, not advantageous.

Buy a v8 cause it's reliable, and you want to slide...don't buy it cause you want to be number 1.

This sport...was designed for style...that's why they slide, keep it close, watch the line.....

not what formula d is doing to the sport...making it about money...about the sponsors.....I know they have to get to where they want, but they are also ruining the original culture of sliding a car....go out and have fun.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
and OP...so that you know the rules....the lead car has to be within 95% of his qualifying run....the following car has to do just that....follow. More points are awarded for taking away a line, getting closer to the apex than the lead car. Plus, this bullshit launch thing drives me up a wall. How can a 600whp car not beat a 400whp off the line. D1 docked points for "leaving" the opponent...wtf?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
Aki180sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Aki180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksil80 View Post
the thing about the U.S is that, we dont have much place to drift.. especially here in dallas.. im into drifting but nothing i can do to actually get into it. sad aint it? LOL i wanna visit japan once and see it live hahaha

Wrong. There are tons of drift events in your area.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #17
h2v7
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
h2v7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP7w5zvJrOs
Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #18
dksil80
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki180sx View Post
Wrong. There are tons of drift events in your area.
im not talking about events, i know there is a lot of events where you can take in your car and drift.. im talking about in open roads.. you know in japan there are a lot mountains.. and at night ppl gather around and just drift for the hell of it.. vs. us here.. we meet up and do a freeway pull. i wanna actually see like a illegal touge drifting in japan.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
dksil80
Zilvia Member

YouTube - Osaka Touge Drift HQ&fs=1" width="644" height="390">YouTube - Osaka Touge Drift HQ&fs=1" />YouTube - Osaka Touge Drift HQ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YouTube - Osaka Touge Drift HQ

its kinda cool how they're all 240's and silvias lol
Old 02-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #20
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

gearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of light
daigo saito is the fucking man. what a beast.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #21
Urbanite714
Leaky Injector

Urbanite714 is an unknown quantity at this point
first of all drifting is WAAAYYYY Bigger in japan then it is here,
you might think that drifting is blowing up here, and it is to an extent, but it is no where near as big as it is in japan.
just because its trendy now to drive a slammed 240 doesnt mean drifiting is big, professionally at least.
we only have like 2 circuits i can think of, xdc and fd...
that would be why their cars and drivers are so much more wild then ours.

its like trying to compare english football and american soccer,
english football puts american soccer to shame,
everybody recognizes that english soccer is better, but no one really cares because its not that big here. naw mean?

they're different leagues
you cant compare the two side by side.

if u put our "best driver" vaughn gittin jr, against idk taniguchi, kazama,, shit even dorikin tsuchiya i'm confident they will hand his ass to him.

that being said i do enjoy fd and xdc, those foos are good, better than most people will ever be so dont hate just becasue you wanna be super jdm yo.

that run at irwindale between aasbo and jr was some of the most exciting drifting ive ever seen.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z82jeFREiHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #22
Urbanite714
Leaky Injector

Urbanite714 is an unknown quantity at this point
lol my bad for writing a freakin novel,

but also we have no tracks like they do in japan,

their tracks are super techincal and sharp

we have no such thing like that here, to my knowlege at least.

if we had tracks that had all those crazy turns and elevation changes then our drivers would rock them.

btu since we dont, our drifing isnt as angle oriented.

whateves tho,

i love american drifting,
i love japanese drifting,
i love german drifting,
i love drifting.

90 percent of 240 guys are just caught up in the politics of being jdm tyte yo.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #23
Banana_Cute
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (16)
Banana_Cute is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Japanese drifting all day.

I dont know if you guys remember when D1 first came to the states back in 05-06??

I think it was the best drift show i've ever attended till today. The cars, the drivers, commentators are great. Driving skills are awesome too. Makes you sit on the edge of your seat, though it might not be as fast as Vaughn, It nearly next to the wall where all the excitement is. And commentators are hilarious. Though american drifters have plenty of talent, they're mostly.....predictable.

I think japanese drifting is much more exciting to watch.

Ever since FD and different management taking over D1GP. Drift events are like BLAH!!... Its more exciting watching amateurs @ Orange Show or even Adams at times.

Simplicity is the key to brilliance
Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #24
smokestr240

Trader Rating: (1)
smokestr240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanite714 View Post
lol my bad for writing a freakin novel,

but also we have no tracks like they do in japan,

their tracks are super techincal and sharp

we have no such thing like that here, to my knowlege at least.

if we had tracks that had all those crazy turns and elevation changes then our drivers would rock them.

btu since we dont, our drifing isnt as angle oriented.

whateves tho,

i love american drifting,
i love japanese drifting,
i love german drifting,
i love drifting.

90 percent of 240 guys are just caught up in the politics of being jdm tyte yo.

correction "hella" jdm tyte yo! lol
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #25
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana_Cute View Post
Japanese drifting all day.

I dont know if you guys remember when D1 first came to the states back in 05-06??

I think it was the best drift show i've ever attended till today. The cars, the drivers, commentators are great. Driving skills are awesome too. Makes you sit on the edge of your seat, though it might not be as fast as Vaughn, It nearly next to the wall where all the excitement is. And commentators are hilarious. Though american drifters have plenty of talent, they're mostly.....predictable.

I think japanese drifting is much more exciting to watch.

Ever since FD and different management taking over D1GP. Drift events are like BLAH!!... Its more exciting watching amateurs @ Orange Show or even Adams at times.
This! Exactly this. Japanese drifters and there for the fun and for the crowd. They're not there abt money and all that jazz. Hell, even the commentators are better than ours. Sure, our guy can be funny, but that's only when the drivers r taking a break. Get excited! These guys are going all out door to door, and all u can do is sound like a golf commentator?

As for being jdm tyte, its not abt that at all. Its the fact that the heart of drifting started in the mountains of japan. Its about huge angle. Its abt the shear thrill of being sideways in a car! Why do we need to try and 'make it our own' with less angle and faster speeds.
Hell, I know that if england or some other country tried to take football and change it around a little. Maybe no pads but its 2 hand touch? I'd be pissed. They wud be making a mockery of football. Hell they alrdy do because they're so bad at it. But that's another argument.

The point is, why adopt a sport, or anything for that matter, from another country and change it? Its obvously as popular as it is for a reason. If they bring it here because that's what americans wana see, its cuz we wana see japanese style of drifting. Not some american washed version of it. Ya, formula d is still fun to watch. But only because they don't air japanese drifting here much, if at all. I'm pretty confident that formula d's viewing audience would be much smaller if they showed all of the drifting they do in japan. I personally probably wouldn't even watch formula d.

Its cool to watch because its drifting, but itd be so much cooler if it was more jap styled. I personallly know a lot of people who don't even watch fd because of how lame the usa has made it. I love my country, don't get me wrong. But if it aint broken, don't fix it.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #26
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I invented All Star Bash to try and keep drifting cool.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #27
Michael Nolan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Michael Nolan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Michael Nolan
I personally think FD is slowly killing Drifting... I'm really young and am already starting to ignore FD just because of all the BS and Drama Dramz that come with it. The tracks are pretty lame and every car has a V8. Cool and good sounding, but I mean come on, most US motorsports are all V8's anyways.

I like grassroots drifting a lot, (most of you guys) just because there's no bs and the cars are much better, either in Japan or the Coastside. Before coming to this site a couple months ago, I thought Japans drifting is a lot better than it is state side, but after a couple days on here my thoughts changed. I never knew how many "underground drifters" there are.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #28
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
i have always loved that track with the jump...so sick! go jpan on track design!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #29
hartig
Zilvia Member

i feel so bored watching vaughn gitten jr drive his stupid mustang around one corner
Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #30
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post

^This all day every day

Japanese drifters have the finesse that no other drifters have

Closed Thread