Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-30-2007, 11:36 PM   #121
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jrmiller84
Yeah, I'm gonna have it redone Monday so it'll be ready to go when I get my exhaust

Oh, and by the way, I bought a HKS Hi-Power exhaust yesterday. Should be awesome

Old 03-31-2007, 12:35 PM   #122
prang11
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
prang11 will become famous soon enoughprang11 will become famous soon enoughprang11 will become famous soon enoughprang11 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Bummer about the weld. My bro just had his flange welded on and the guy did a pretty shitty job. His first flange was free and it looked perfect, second flange is payed for and looks like crap. That just dosnt make sense.

Keep up the good work on the build.
prang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:47 PM   #123
surge s14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
surge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
awesome job dude cant wait to see it done
Old 03-31-2007, 03:07 PM   #124
adamantium

Trader Rating: (0)
adamantium is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice work so far. Im new to the nissan scene after working with hondas for a few years, and was looking into a project exactly like yours. If you dont mind me asking how much is this diy project running you so far, not including the stock car to begin with.
adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:24 PM   #125
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamantium
Nice work so far. Im new to the nissan scene after working with hondas for a few years, and was looking into a project exactly like yours. If you dont mind me asking how much is this diy project running you so far, not including the stock car to begin with.

It's running over $7000 right now including the motorset and all parts. This doesn't include all of the tools I've had to purchase/rent.

Check back in about 30 minutes, I'll have a short update of my progress today.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #126
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Work Day 14 [Back to index]

I got out a few hours later than I wanted to today so I wasn't able to get the motor in yet. I am green for getting it in tomorrow though.

Today I had to install the clutch and get the transmission onto the engine, which was a bitch I might add.

I rented a pilot bushing remover to get the old pilot bushing out today. The old one was pretty worn. Here's the old one with the new one in the shaft next to it.

After that I had to use the clutch alignment tool to get the clutch in place and the put the pressure plate on.

This was my first time switching a clutch and it was kind of nerve racking. If I don't get it right, I'll have to pull the engine again... shitty.

Next thing I did was install a new throwout bearing.

After that I started mounting the transmission on the SR. Doing this by yourself is extremely hard. I was worried because the transmission wasn't attaching flush with the motor. I could tell the shaft was in the crankshaft because I could spin the transmission, but it just wasn't mating with the engine. So I started putting the bolts in and it pulled it flush with the motor. After that it was dark so I had to stop. Tomorrow all I have to do is attach the starter and hoist it into the engine bay.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #127
Chez
Leaky Injector

Chez is making his/her stupidity well-knownChez is making his/her stupidity well-knownChez is making his/her stupidity well-known
Sweet build so far. ive been watching this thread for a while now and for someone who seems not know have done anything like this before you are getting the hang of it really quick. a few small tips may help you out. that part about mating the transmission and the motor. that is normal. the best way to do it is to use a couple of blocks of wood and a small jack. i assume you had the motor hanging from the hoist so you just get the motor level and really low to the ground. then you set the tranny on the blocks so the tranny is at the same height as the motor and then use the jack to the back end of the tranny at the right height so the shaft is at the proper angle. also make sure you have atleast two other people there with you tomorrow so you can have someone working the hoist and someone helping you guide the motor and tranny into the engine bay. congrats on the great clean job you are doing. keep with it i cant wait to see the finished product.

side note: that $7000 price tag you were talking about. how much of that money was for the motor swap and how much was for everything else. not including tools.

Chez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #128
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

That's actually what I did. I was able to get it flush with a couple 2x4's and a jack. Should be good to go tomorrow. I've got to make sure they're all torqued to spec though.

The motor was $2460 including tax, I got it from Enjuku racing. The prices are on their website. They are good guys and that's not from just me, that's the general consensus from most of Zilvia.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:23 PM   #129
Chez
Leaky Injector

Chez is making his/her stupidity well-knownChez is making his/her stupidity well-knownChez is making his/her stupidity well-known
good to know. check every single bolt twice before you put that motor in. nice work. cant wait to see it done.

Chez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:31 AM   #130
1Via!
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1Via!
Trannys are always a bitch when youre on your own. 2x4s for blocking and levering always help.

Good solid build.
1Via! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:46 AM   #131
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
^^ Trannys are a bitch even when you have a friend and a lift.

Was my first time though.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #132
sr240dett3
Leaky Injector

sr240dett3 is making a name for him/her selfsr240dett3 is making a name for him/her self
pilot bushing are a paint to remove with out the tool, i tired packing grease into it and forcing it out with the alignment tool... NOT WORKING!!!!

Mine was in good shape, so i left it in there
Old 04-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #133
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
lol tommy. get premie!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #134
Roc
Leaky Injector

Roc is making a name for him/her selfRoc is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to Roc Send a message via MSN to Roc
Quote:
Originally Posted by prang11
Bummer about the weld. My bro just had his flange welded on and the guy did a pretty shitty job. His first flange was free and it looked perfect, second flange is payed for and looks like crap. That just dosnt make sense.

Keep up the good work on the build.
its easy for all the good welders. the crappy ones charge because they suck at life and and its hard for them.
Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #135
MURPHY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
MURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MURPHY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr240dett3
pilot bushing are a paint to remove with out the tool, i tired packing grease into it and forcing it out with the alignment tool... NOT WORKING!!!!

Mine was in good shape, so i left it in there
wtf. why you here too lol

and yea trans are easy after you've done way to many of them

but there is always that one pain in the ass one. last week i had one that the gears inside were perfect and i pulled it all apart and was so messed up that i had to actually just throw it in the dumpster lol
MURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #136
Bigballin
Zilvia Member

Bigballin is an unknown quantity at this point
this thread bitches!!
Bigballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #137
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Work Day 15

Work Day 15 [Back to index]

Today I finally got the motor in. I've been reading, saving, and planning for almost three years so it's definitely a monumental day.

I started by torquing the tranny bolts down since I didn't yesterday. Then I installed the heater hoses because I knew I would barely have any room between the motor and the firewall. After that it was all cherry picker work.

It took me a while to get the motor into place. This was mostly because I put the motor mounts on the car crossmember instead of on the motor which made it near impossible to get into place. Once I changed that, it went right in. Here are some pictures I took during the process.

"The Eagle has landed."

As you can see by the last couple of pictures, I started test fitting many of my new toys I had a little trouble mounting the intercooler. It seemed to want to mount where the horn is mounted but the bolt that connects to the new bracket gets in the way. Anyone hooked up a hybrid development intercooler before? Didn't come with any instructions and their website sucks. Tomorrow I'll be starting on some more of the fun stuff. Getting the wiring harness back in, intercooler, some of the interior mods finished.

As long as I receive all of my parts this week, I may have it running next weekend. Although, I do not expect it to start on the first try.

Trying not to get my hopes up.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #138
C. Senor
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
C. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to C. Senor
damn its looking real good, and you're doing all this by yourself...you're brave.
C. Senor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #139
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13coupeluv
damn its looking real good, and you're doing all this by yourself...you're brave.
in a storage Hardfuckincore!

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #140
JDMClifford
Zilvia Junkie

JDMClifford is an unknown quantity at this point
cool, looks like you learned alot, it looks great.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:15 AM   #141
sepulchral
BANNED

sepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymore
not hooking up mafs?
sepulchral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #142
yaba94070
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
yaba94070 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to yaba94070
defently farther than i got(i couldn't even got the motor mounts undone some dumb ass over tourqed every screw and it didn't get better after 2 years)...
i should of got a storage cell..
man i didn;t think of that, im gonna go get one. Nice computer set up. Never saw a tripple before.
and i am dam impressed on the job you did on the valvue covr. Man that thing looks new. Its time well spent. The car looks great and major props.. your almost there man.. now the hard part hooking everything back up...
lol thats the part that fucked me up
Old 04-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #143
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaba94070
i couldn't even got the motor mounts undone
I had to buy a kit to get mine out seeing as the nuts on mine were rounded off. Came right out after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchral
not hooking up mafs?
Yeah, I decided to just kinda "wing it" with my air input.

jk I just put it on to give myself a look at how close I am to being done. I actually didn't have the mafs with me at the time.

Today I have to go fix the tranny mount, hook up the driveshaft, and whatever else I can get done. Should be fun!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #144
wannabe_drifter
Zilvia Member

wannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to behold
Looking great so far

I'm in the same situation as you were a while ago i guess, I am a student, I'm too poor and I dream of doing the swap by myself when I get some money...
Your a good inspiration !

By the way you said it cost you 7000 $$ I thought it was less expensive than that did you put alot of good parts on it or is it the "normal" cost of the swap???
wannabe_drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #145
yaba94070
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
yaba94070 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to yaba94070
hmm a kit...
thats cool im not so lucky i need ot go buy an impact gun or a tourqu wrench cause o already broke 2 socket wrenchs so i gave up after that cause they weren't craftsman or snap on so i didn;t have warently on them...
i did break a 1 1/2 foot crastfman socket wrench then i trully gave up my project till i can get it in a shop and work on it in there...
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #146
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe_drifter
Looking great so far

I'm in the same situation as you were a while ago i guess, I am a student, I'm too poor and I dream of doing the swap by myself when I get some money...
Your a good inspiration !

By the way you said it cost you 7000 $$ I thought it was less expensive than that did you put alot of good parts on it or is it the "normal" cost of the swap???

Thanks!

To give everyone a better idea of my costs here's a breakdown. I won't go into the specifics of which parts are on the first purchase order unless there is an overwhelming demand for the info (it's a lot of shit to write up).

$2460 - SR Blacktop Motorset
$3800 - First Parts Purchase Order
-A fuckton and a half of parts
$267 - Second Parts Purchase Order
-Test pipe
-Dual fan thermostat kit
-K&N Breather Filter
-Nismo clutch fork pivot
$320 - Third Parts Purchase Order
-Greddy Downpipe (the circuit Sports DP was backordered )
-Greddy Turbo Outlet
$664 - Fourth Parts Purchase Order
-HKS Hi-Power Exhaust system
------------------------------------------------------
$7511 - Grand Total +-

This does not include the cost of the storage unit, supplies (rags, degreaser, paint, etc), or alcohol. With that in mind, it's actually nearing the $8000 mark. I tried to spare no expense on the quality of parts so you definately could save money where I didn't but I didn't want this to be a shitty build.

"Do it right or don't do it at all" has kind of been my mantra for this experience.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #147
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaba94070
hmm a kit...
thats cool im not so lucky i need ot go buy an impact gun or a tourqu wrench cause o already broke 2 socket wrenchs so i gave up after that cause they weren't craftsman or snap on so i didn;t have warently on them...
i did break a 1 1/2 foot crastfman socket wrench then i trully gave up my project till i can get it in a shop and work on it in there...

The kit I bought was under $20. This is a similar kit to the one I bought from Sears. They do have a smaller kit than this $50 one.

Then you just use a wrench and it grips into the bolts and turns them. The ones on that page don't allow for a wrench to be used, but they do have the kit in the store that allows for their use.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #148
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Awesome.. You finally got the motor in, congratulations. I'm looking forward to that moment also!
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #149
d*star180
Zilvia Junkie

d*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond reputed*star180 has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations are in order.
Awesome job so far.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #150
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Way to jack his thread...