Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
RedlineGoods.com
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
RedlineGoods.com is making a name for him/her selfRedlineGoods.com is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Airbag system S14a - did my research but...

... somebody who actually took a S14 (earlier model though) apart almost to the bone told me they never found any SENSORS for the airbags. He said he was told the gravity sensor is in the airbag module itself, there is no external one.

Then I searched here for "airbag sensor" and a few guys were mentioning that they have the "sensor" for sale...

So which is it guys? The complete airbag system is just the computer, 2 airbags and the harness or am I missing something?

Is it true that the module has to be REPLACED after airbag(s) deploy, it doesn't have erasable memory that could have the information about past deployment removed?

Also, Consult says I have: "A/B AIRBAG Open" and "AIRBAG MODULE Open" errors . I know the DRIVER'S PILLOW is gone and I'm going to check the passenger one in a few days. I'm sure the module was NOT replaced on this car.

Now the big question is this. If I disconnect the current module, connect both airbags and then connect the new module, then providing the module is OK, is there any risk the bags will deploy? It's kind of connected to the sensor question above...

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Maciek

Last edited by RedlineGoods.com; 01-24-2005 at 05:24 AM..
RedlineGoods.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The module has to be replaced after the airbag is deployed. When you remove the rear seats, there is a shield held down by four torx tamper proof bolts (T-50), remove those and you will see the sensor held down by more torx bolts. Since your car is in Europe on the S14a steering wheel, when you remove the airbag you should see a silver box...on the S14 there is nothing. I honestly don't know what that silver box is...but it might have a tie to the airbag system. Once you connect a new module to the airbags...they will not deploy....HOWEVER....you must disconnect your battery and let the car sit for 30 minutes (or more) before you attempt to connect or disconnect anything. Also when your done remember to reset the airbag light.
SimpleS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
RedlineGoods.com
Zilvia.net Advertiser

RedlineGoods.com is making a name for him/her selfRedlineGoods.com is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KoukiS14
The module has to be replaced after the airbag is deployed. When you remove the rear seats, there is a shield held down by four torx tamper proof bolts (T-50), remove those and you will see the sensor held down by more torx bolts. Since your car is in Europe on the S14a steering wheel, when you remove the airbag you should see a silver box...on the S14 there is nothing. I honestly don't know what that silver box is...but it might have a tie to the airbag system. Once you connect a new module to the airbags...they will not deploy....HOWEVER....you must disconnect your battery and let the car sit for 30 minutes (or more) before you attempt to connect or disconnect anything. Also when your done remember to reset the airbag light.
Hi,

thank you, that's VERY helpful. So I assume the SENSOR is indeed the same thing as the computer/module, the thing in between the rear seats, right?

How do you reset the airbag light then?

Maciek
Old 01-21-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
yes the sensor is the same thing....its s G-Sensor...so if it feels a big jolt it deploys the airbag. Also you should never drop the sensor or hit it hard...that will cause it to go bad (or deploy) the airbag.

To reset the light....turn the key on, within 5 seconds depress the driver's side pinswitch 7 times.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:54 PM   #5
driftracer
Premium Member

driftracer is making a name for him/her selfdriftracer is making a name for him/her selfdriftracer is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to driftracer Send a message via MSN to driftracer
I had the same problems when changing my airbags a few months ago. One of the most frustrating things was trying to find the (tamper proof) T-50 Socket/tool. I realize that you are in Poland, however, I think these guys ship worldwide if you cannot find it anywhere else.

http://www.snapon.com/Default.asp

I dont know how many people actually go through this sort of ordeal, but I think this aughta be in the faq section for future reference. This thread seems to put everything you need to know in one. Anyway, hope this helps.
driftracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 07:27 PM   #6
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Here is another place to buy the torx bit, but I don't know if they ship worldwide: http://www.mcmaster.com/

I actually have an extra one incase you don't find one.

This thread does need to be archived, here's more info I can add...

If your light is blinking and you need to find out what the problem is, proceed with the steps I've mention in my previous post...then you will get a code in a serious of flashes..

2 flashes - driver airbag
7 flashes - control unit/module/sensor
8 flashes - passenger airbag

The light will reset if there are no problems.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
A17Z
Leaky Injector

A17Z is an unknown quantity at this point
my airbag light is solid, no blinking. what does that mean?
A17Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:16 PM   #8
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A17Z
my airbag light is solid, no blinking. what does that mean?

Did you try to reset the light and get a code?
Old 01-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #9
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
i just removed all of mine

problem solved

except instead of using a torx bit, i used a 26" crow bar

edit, yes the sensor cover did hit the ceiling

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:28 AM   #10
toraji
Leaky Injector

toraji is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to toraji Send a message via MSN to toraji
how do you reset the airbag light?

also.. so if the airbags deployed previously, you need to get a new G-sensor
for the airbags to work properly again?
toraji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:52 AM   #11
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
how do you reset the airbag light?

That whole reading thing is killing you.

From a few posts above:

"To reset the light....turn the key on, within 5 seconds depress the driver's side pinswitch 7 times."

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #12
NI_YON_Zenki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
NI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you have deployed airbags, of which mine are,same model (Zenki) The best alternative to killing off that light is to just drop the instrument panel, then pull that bulb out. Afterward reset the system, pull off the battery cable. . .N call it a day. as long as the G-sensor is still active within the system of the car, you will read codes from it, if you're looking to have them replaced or are just in need of what those particualr codes are, common sense. I hope this assists you in your situation. . . Peace.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:13 PM   #13
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
Yes, you need a new sensor and airbags (of course).
Old 01-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #14
Johny5
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johny5
hey guys i wanted to add my .03 if you don't mind. i just reset my airbag light. you turn the key on, press the button 5 times within 7 seconds, then press it one more time after 7 seconds. this puts you in the mode where it gives your code, i.e. the series of blinks are intermittant and timed (you can look up these times and their meanings in the fsm). after that turn it off, turn it back on and do the 5 times before 7 thing and press it once more and the light should be gone. turn it on and off again, then your light should only be on for 5 seconds and should be gone for good. given that you fixed what was wrong and such.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:59 AM   #15
toraji
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KoukiS14
Yes, you need a new sensor and airbags (of course).
i got airbags.. just need a new sensor.

also one more thing ( sorry for the ignorance.. or lack of reading comprehension)

where is the pin switch that I must push?

anyone got an airbag sensor for sale in cali?
Old 01-23-2005, 07:55 AM   #16
Johny5
Post Whore!

Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
pin switch is the switch in the backside of the door jamb on the drivers side that tells your car whether or not the door is open.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #17
toraji
Leaky Injector

thank you very much
Old 01-24-2005, 01:16 AM   #18
RedlineGoods.com
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Guys,

whoa, a great thread came out of my questions, glad to see that!

Maciek
Old 01-24-2005, 01:24 AM   #19
zero.counter
Nissanaholic!

zero.counter is making a name for him/her selfzero.counter is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to zero.counter
If resetting the ecu does not work, then you could just remove the led from the cluster. I did that, but only after removing the system from the car.
zero.counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:14 AM   #20
RedlineGoods.com
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero.counter
If resetting the ecu does not work, then you could just remove the led from the cluster. I did that, but only after removing the system from the car.
Yeah, well, that's elementary, my dear Watson, but that's not what we're discussing here. The idea is not to ditch the system but to fix it.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #21
RedlineGoods.com
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny5
hey guys i wanted to add my .03 if you don't mind. i just reset my airbag light. you turn the key on, press the button 5 times within 7 seconds, then press it one more time after 7 seconds. this puts you in the mode where it gives your code, i.e. the series of blinks are intermittant and timed (you can look up these times and their meanings in the fsm). after that turn it off, turn it back on and do the 5 times before 7 thing and press it once more and the light should be gone. turn it on and off again, then your light should only be on for 5 seconds and should be gone for good. given that you fixed what was wrong and such.
This is a bit confusing in regards to SimpleS14's earlier post, which said "within 5 seconds depress the pinswitch 7 times".

So which is it, 7 times in 5 seconds or 5 times in 7 seconds?

Maciek
Old 02-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #22
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineGoods.com
This is a bit confusing in regards to SimpleS14's earlier post, which said "within 5 seconds depress the pinswitch 7 times".

So which is it, 7 times in 5 seconds or 5 times in 7 seconds?

Maciek

How is that confusing? Within 5 seconds depress the pinswitch 7 times .

Also I'd like to note that you do not need to disconnect the battery at any point to replace the airbags. They recommend it, but it's not required. Just keep the key turned off while installing them.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #23
RedlineGoods.com
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA
How is that confusing? Within 5 seconds depress the pinswitch 7 times .

Also I'd like to note that you do not need to disconnect the battery at any point to replace the airbags. They recommend it, but it's not required. Just keep the key turned off while installing them.
Read what I quoted, in the quote somebody said (twice) that it's 5 times in 7 seconds.

So, since this thread has a high chance of being a A-Z coverage of the airbag woes many of us have, I'm trying to get it as correct as I can.

Maciek
Old 02-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #24
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Listen to R240NA ...I got my information from him on another forum and actually did these steps myself.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #25
Johny5
Post Whore!

yeah well i got my shit out of the fsm so ... mmmmmmk?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:02 AM   #26
jOeHaCk98
Zilvia Addict

jOeHaCk98 is making a name for him/her selfjOeHaCk98 is making a name for him/her self
if anyone is intrested, im selling the sensor, wiring, pass. and driver airbags and steering wheel.
[email protected]
jOeHaCk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:44 AM   #27
RedlineGoods.com
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Well, I've just established through the courtesy of Courtesy Nissan's parts manager (Steve's a great guy!) that, sadly, Nissas was dumb enough to actually make TWO DIFFERENT airbag control modules, one for Kouki a DIFFERENT one (although I can't stop thinking what the hell change it for) Zenki.

Same with the control module. I can provide pics and part numbers if you want.

I'm BADLY in need of a passenger airbag and the controller from a 97-98 car! If anybody's out here who ditched their system and would consider selling it, please let me know.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #28
NI_YON_Zenki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
NI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Why in thee hell are you all still speaking on this? I thought this was reasolved prior to the Italian Job.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #29
driftracer
Premium Member

driftracer is making a name for him/her selfdriftracer is making a name for him/her selfdriftracer is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to driftracer Send a message via MSN to driftracer
I'm actually interested in the pics and part numbers, Maciek. I did the install of the new sensor and both airbags, and Im still getting a flash that does not want to reset. The flashes are consistent with two or more parts malfunctioning, so I am not sure if I have the right sensor or not.
driftracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:45 PM   #30
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineGoods.com
Well, I've just established through the courtesy of Courtesy Nissan's parts manager (Steve's a great guy!) that, sadly, Nissas was dumb enough to actually make TWO DIFFERENT airbag control modules, one for Kouki a DIFFERENT one (although I can't stop thinking what the hell change it for) Zenki.

Same with the control module. I can provide pics and part numbers if you want.

I'm BADLY in need of a passenger airbag and the controller from a 97-98 car! If anybody's out here who ditched their system and would consider selling it, please let me know.

USDM Kouki is different from the Euro Kouki. Over here the Kouki uses the same wiring as the Zenki. Also the reason why they changed it is because of the steering wheel. I forgot to mention this, but the spiral cable (on the steering wheel hub) is part of the SRS wiring and is the obvious difference between the EURO Kouki and Zenki.