Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #421
koukis13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
koukis13 is a jewel in the roughkoukis13 is a jewel in the roughkoukis13 is a jewel in the roughkoukis13 is a jewel in the roughkoukis13 is a jewel in the roughkoukis13 is a jewel in the roughkoukis13 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice man! Keep that grind going. Harness and build looks great
koukis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2020, 12:09 PM   #422
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Soooo....whats the deal here??
Picked up another project because it was a deal and I need to drive an s-chassis again.

Dude has had it sitting for two years after the front timing guide broke off and it started making funny noises.

Turns out it was just super low on oil. It's pretty much your basic I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing build. Eagle rods, CP pistons, ISIS turbo, JWT tune, knockoff Apex'i intake, knockoff SSQV, etc. Lots of RTV everywhere and it leaks at the front timing cover headgasket area a ton.

My plan is to keep it simple, fix the issues, swap some of the suspension over from the racecar, and drive the wheels off it.

Here's some pics, enjoy.

Fan relay wiring (going back to oem shroud):

That tensioner seal though:

ARP head and main studs as well:

Hopefully this isn't a 2871r clone:

Wait a minute:

Kinda important to ground your shit:

Custom oil restrictor:

Did a pretty decent de-fucking and got it to run and drive. The front timing cover leak is way too aggressive though, so the head is going to have to come off so I can see what's going on. Probably just going to pull the engine.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #423
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Strip the block and measure. If he didn't line hone after those mains, which chances are high considering everything else, the cylinders may be out of round
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #424
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Strip the block and measure. If he didn't line hone after those mains, which chances are high considering everything else, the cylinders may be out of round
Yeah, I'm not even sure if the head studs are installed right. It's all gotta come apart. I'm going to do dual guides for the rockers and I gotta check everything in the bottom end because I'm going to thrash on this thing haha.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #425
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Holy silcone fuck!! Sum people just shouldnt touch cars.
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #426
Fuglychuki91
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Fuglychuki91 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was scared of this for the shear fact I felt like the po wasn?t going to be able to tell me much. But I?m glad you picked this up and I?m keen to see where you take it. If you wanna do any drifting it?d be tight to see you at auto city
Fuglychuki91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #427
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuglychuki91 View Post
I was scared of this for the shear fact I felt like the po wasn?t going to be able to tell me much. But I?m glad you picked this up and I?m keen to see where you take it. If you wanna do any drifting it?d be tight to see you at auto city
It will absolutely be at Auto City sometime this year.

Got rid of the DSM and put it in it's place for the next few weeks.

After one last burnout, it's time to pull out the SR.

Drive it 3 miles and after I park it this is what I get from the front timing cover leak.

And boring taking-it-apart pictures.

Gotta love when they plumb the valvecover directly to the intake pipe.

Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 06-14-2020 at 09:50 AM..
Old 06-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #428
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
It will absolutely be at Auto City sometime this year.

Got rid of the DSM and put it in it's place for the next few weeks.

After one last burnout, it's time to pull out the SR.

Drive it 3 miles and after I park it this is what I get from the front timing cover leak.

And boring taking-it-apart pictures.

Gotta love when they plumb the valvecover directly to the intake pipe.

I. Iught a "built"sr like 10yrs ago and leaked from the same spot....swore when i built sr ill never fuk that up lol no easy fix
Old 06-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #429
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Yeah. Idiots like to slap a bnib oil pump assembly on the block without machining both together.

What do these idiots do as a solution? Also even more and more silicone in the area until you can even see metal from the AL head....
Old 06-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #430
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Yeah. Idiots like to slap a bnib oil pump assembly on the block without machining both together.

What do these idiots do as a solution? Also even more and more silicone in the area until you can even see metal from the AL head....
Yeah you should have seen how much I pulled off the front of the head hah. People

Old 06-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #431
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:

Fan relay wiring (going back to oem shroud):

Yikes. People don't realize how much amperage E-fans will draw on startup. I've complained/tried to warn people. My FAL fans came with a single 30 amp fuse. Pretty serious electrical engineering oversight considering the fans pull over 40 amps on startup. My fuse holder looked like that pile of lava after a year. A higher capacity or dual fuse/relay setup is necessary.

You probably sleep better at night now knowing the car won't set your garage on fire!
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #432
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeiler View Post
Yikes. People don't realize how much amperage E-fans will draw on startup. I've complained/tried to warn people. My FAL fans came with a single 30 amp fuse. Pretty serious electrical engineering oversight considering the fans pull over 40 amps on startup. My fuse holder looked like that pile of lava after a year. A higher capacity or dual fuse/relay setup is necessary.

You probably sleep better at night now knowing the car won't set your garage on fire!
Yep, people are definitely ignorant.

I'm so glad I'm pulling this SR down. So many issues and things I don't like with how it's put together. Let me show you:

IACV pipe broken off it's bracket.

Heater hose pipes not bolted to block.

Intake manifold gasket doesn't even line up and overhangs the ports by a good millimeter on each side.

Pretty much everywhere there should be a gasket there's just RTV, or RTV and an old gasket.

The hose clamp I'm pointing at is the one I put on because the water line wasn't even connected. They used zip ties on the other side...

And here's a better shot of that front timing cover leak. You can physically see the gap between the head and the timing cover

Plenty of other things, like the turbine outlet bolts are just silly, the heater core was bypassed with a kinked up hose, studs missing on the exhaust manifold, etc, etc, etc. This is where I left it for today.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:42 PM   #433
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Couldn't sleep last night so I pulled it all the way down. Looks like a bunch of shit went through this thing.

Today I did a bunch of cleaning.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #434
S14rebuild
BANNED

Crank journal looks salvageable with a polish

Hows the piston/rings look with that cylinder wall damage? Are all the cylinders lookn like that?
Old 06-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #435
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Crank journal looks salvageable with a polish

Hows the piston/rings look with that cylinder wall damage? Are all the cylinders lookn like that?
Crank is definitely good with a polish. Pistons have some scuffing but that's no biggie. It's more if the cylinder walls can just be honed or if they need to be bored. I'm taking it to the machine shop Monday to figure that out.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #436
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

I spent some of my time this week doing little block prep stuff, radiusing and chamfering oil holds in the crank and block, cleaning up the water inlet, and giving the head a quick go over with the die grinder. Took out all the squish because squish is good for efficiency, bad for power. Cleaned up some of the casting in the head and dropped the block off at the machine shop. We'll see what it needs.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:56 AM   #437
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
that poor sr, so much abuse. ballsy move taking out the squish. I remember years ago the argument going on about weather to keep it or nix it, but you've never been afraid of going elbow deep.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:04 PM   #438
S13project
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
S13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
That SR never had it so good judging by all the previous 'love' it received. Thank you for saving this one from demise!
Old 06-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #439
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
that poor sr, so much abuse. ballsy move taking out the squish. I remember years ago the argument going on about weather to keep it or nix it, but you've never been afraid of going elbow deep.
Jared, you're alive! Haha, yeah man, getting after it on this thing. Haven't driven an s-chassis in over two years. I miss it desperately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13project View Post
That SR never had it so good judging by all the previous 'love' it received. Thank you for saving this one from demise!
I do what I can!

Old 06-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #440
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Machinist sent me some pics of the oil pump, which is obviously junk and makes sense given the rest of the engine. I didn't have a impact screwdriver to take it apart, glad he did.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #441
S14rebuild
BANNED

More info on removing the "squish" area please(if u care to share), dam that scoring is intense, glad the crank was scored like that.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:57 PM   #442
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
More info on removing the "squish" area please(if u care to share), dam that scoring is intense, glad the crank was scored like that.
Squish or quench is designed to press the air fuel charge towards the spark plug and creates turbulence in the charge. It's designed this way because that helps every atomized fuel molecule get burnt. The downside is your flame travel through the air/fuel charge isn't even, and makes the combustion less stable. Removing the quench means you get a super even flame travel, allowing you to run a little more ignition advance. This is particularly helpful on pump gas. Keep in mind, this will lower your compression ratio. I'm having the head and block decked and running a .99mm headgasket, which should account for some of it, but not all. Purely guessing, if I keep the pistons that were in it (CP 8.5:1), I'll be at something like 8.0:1, maybe lower. If I have to get new pistons, I'll be stepping up to the Diamond Racing 9.6:1 pistons.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #443
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Squish or quench is designed to press the air fuel charge towards the spark plug and creates turbulence in the charge. It's designed this way because that helps every atomized fuel molecule get burnt. The downside is your flame travel through the air/fuel charge isn't even, and makes the combustion less stable. Removing the quench means you get a super even flame travel, allowing you to run a little more ignition advance. This is particularly helpful on pump gas. Keep in mind, this will lower your compression ratio. I'm having the head and block decked and running a .99mm headgasket, which should account for some of it, but not all. Purely guessing, if I keep the pistons that were in it (CP 8.5:1), I'll be at something like 8.0:1, maybe lower. If I have to get new pistons, I'll be stepping up to the Diamond Racing 9.6:1 pistons.

Thanks, acually boutbto tear down and build my sr, so def be looking into this...very intresting info
Old 06-25-2020, 05:51 AM   #444
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Just got my new ACL pump in.

Just put in a pretty large order. New Diamond Racing pistons with 9.6:1 compression and tool steel thicc-boi pin, Wiseco boostline connecting rods, EFR 6258, Koyo N-flow rad, Link G4X ECU, flex fuel sensor, ID1050x's, Radium fuel rail, etc, etc. Beyond excited to put this thing back together...

Old 06-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #445
S14rebuild
BANNED

Heard you had to drill and tap a hole(s) on the acl pump to use on s13 sr. You come across that?

I went with the p2m oil pump. Havent seen any bad reviews all say equal to oem
Old 06-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #446
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

^^ I recall the S14/S14 vs S13 pumps are slightly different with an additional boolt hole (or something along those lines).

However I do not recall having to drill and tap a hole. Just alignment
Old 06-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #447
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

It's just drill. This is what they're talking about:

ACL/S14 pump:

S13 pump:

Old 06-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #448
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Yep. The S14 vs S13 front cover is slightly different due to the VCT I assume
Old 06-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #449
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Yep. Just drill a new hole next to the one that's already there and put a bolt in. Done. This was not done on the S14 cover that was on the car.

Rocker guides from Nissanparts.cc finally shipped. Woot.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #450
S14rebuild
BANNED

Ahhhhhh i see, weird they said you had to tap it aswell. All good through..should be a solid build