Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat > LOUD NOISES

LOUD NOISES A place for political mudslinging, Pro/Anti legalization, gay marriage debate, Gun control rants, etc. If it's political, controversial, or hotly debated, it goes here. No regular Off-Topic stuff allowed. READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
does the US defense budget make sense to you?

we spent over $700 billion in 2011 on defense/wars/so on. China, the big red country we're supposed to fear, spent about $150 billion. they have around four times our population, who, yes, probably don't live as well as most of us. but seriously, $700 billion? to fight for other countries' freedom, democracy, whatever bullshit they feed us? does it make sense to be spending so much on foreign wars when we have so many problems at home? WHY are we spending such a large amount of money overseas?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_expenditures

please tell me why i'm a stupid idealistic liberal, but do it like i'm five. thanks.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Slims
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Slims is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

On a serious note, the US is out of hand with spending money out of country, wether it be through the defense budget or any other budget they want to apply it to. We would be spending the money to help other countries out ether way. sectioning it to the defense budget is the easiest way to justify the spending with the recent war and because of the troops we still have there. if they wanted too, they would fund it through another part, ether way, its getting spent. solution?
Slims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
If it makes you feel better, its going down due to all the budget cuts.

Here's a breakdown of where most of that money goes:
Operations and maintenance $283.3 billion +4.2%
Military Personnel $154.2 billion +5.0%
Procurement $140.1 billion −1.8%
R&D, Testing & Evaluation $79.1 billion +1.3%
Military Construction $23.9 billion +19.0%
Family Housing $3.1 billion −20.2%
Total Spending 683.7 billion +3.0%

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Origin
Zilvia Member

Origin is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not necessarily fighting for other countries freedom, I don't think the regime actually cares. It's for the regime's own agenda. What was it, something like two or three dictators in a year? That doesn't happen very often. Gaddafi was actually a friend to Israel and they went in there and started an uprising. Same thing with Egypt (they weren't friends with Israel but now the Muslim Brotherhood is in charge, surprise, surprise). It would be nice to have some money spent here once in a while. It doesn't matter now though, the people don't have a say anymore.

On the other hand, I'd rather call it the "Offense Budget".
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I don't care how much airshows cost. I want to see MORE of them.

Love jets, man.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post

please tell me why i'm a stupid idealistic liberal, but do it like i'm five. thanks.
you're not. Neither side has put any restraint on spending for the past decade. Like many times it's been stated, the US does not have an income problem, they have a spending problem.

I find it ludicrous for things like homeland security "borrows" 5 global hawks with the intention of doing port surveillance and then stuffs one into the ground.

Military Global Hawk drone crashes in Maryland - latimes.com

170+million drone protecting a port while students get the shaft in local schools.

Priorities man. Priorities
Old 06-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
We do have a revenue problem, we are taking less money in under the last five presidents excluding Clinton ! Clinton raised taxes and left a surplus! Reagan raised the debt ceiling 18 times in his presidency!! We need to kill all the private contracts, or place them on hold until each contract and their performance is reviewed! That will save billions by itself! Every business must pay federal taxes. No corporate hand outs or subsidies to oil companies or any other business!
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Ive been in in the military for almost 12 yrs. Fraud waste and abuse is rampant in the military. Perfect example, buying office stuff. I have to buy items from certain vendors on line or on base, I get charged a grip more since they're gov contracts. Just a small example, box of printer paper. Office max price = $40, GSA price = $56. Thats just a small example.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
It's not just military.

"If Mr. Obama wins re-election, and his budget projections prove accurate, the National Debt will top $20 trillion in 2016, the final year of his second term. That would mean the Debt increased by 87 percent, or $9.34 trillion, during his two terms."

Scary stuff. This mentality seems to be spreading. Hey if the govt can do it why can't I?!?! U.S. is out of control on so many levels.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #10
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I don't care how much airshows cost. I want to see MORE of them.

Love jets, man.
i'd imagine if we brought most of our jets back to the US, we could afford to do a shitload of airshows and stay under budget.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
It's not just military.

"If Mr. Obama wins re-election, and his budget projections prove accurate, the National Debt will top $20 trillion in 2016, the final year of his second term. That would mean the Debt increased by 87 percent, or $9.34 trillion, during his two terms."

Scary stuff. This mentality seems to be spreading. Hey if the govt can do it why can't I?!?! U.S. is out of control on so many levels.
When you quote someone, then neglect to reference the quote, it pretty much invalidates the quote.

"az_240 got a 650 on his SATs"
See how that works? No reference, no value to the words.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
You could google the quote if you really cared.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
Flipnirish
Leaky Injector

Flipnirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Ive been in in the military for almost 12 yrs. Fraud waste and abuse is rampant in the military. Perfect example, buying office stuff. I have to buy items from certain vendors on line or on base, I get charged a grip more since they're gov contracts. Just a small example, box of printer paper. Office max price = $40, GSA price = $56. Thats just a small example.

FYI. You can buy from office max...just tell them its for the base and make sure you bring your receipt to your card holder. They also won't charge you tax.
Flipnirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
Origin
Zilvia Member

Origin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlong View Post
When you quote someone, then neglect to reference the quote, it pretty much invalidates the quote.

National Debt has increased more under Obama than under Bush - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipnirish View Post
FYI. You can buy from office max...just tell them its for the base and make sure you bring your receipt to your card holder. They also won't charge you tax.
All depends on what your RA wants. He wants us to buy shit at base VIB/GSA Mart first before going out to town.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #16
ineedone
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
ineedone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Iz got numbers too... seriously man, you are not good at this. PolitiFact Ohio | Jim Renacci says Obama has racked up more debt than any other president

And make sure you add in the amount of money Bush had to lose before he began running deficits.... yeah because that wouldn't be important to the argument... PolitiFact New Jersey | Bill Clinton touts fiscal record as president during campaign stop in New Jersey

Origin, stay out of the Loud Noises threads until you learn how to 1. answer questions, 2. do research, and 3. Comprehend the issues you talk about. Whatever mind control glen beck is using on you to turn your brain into a watery gravy is working overtime.
ineedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #17
ineedone
Zilvia Member

ineedone is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
All depends on what your RA wants. He wants us to buy shit at base VIB/GSA Mart first before going out to town.
Gov contracts are insane. We say that we represent everything from building bombs to cleaning johns. Basically, until the gov decides to in-source, if the private sector can do it the government has to pay for it. Also, the reason why prices are more expensive is because when the gov puts out a solicitation or procurement etc, they put down specifications that the contractor must follow. So even in paper you get built in extra cost just because. No lie, I have seen contracts/ors who cover tissue paper sue because they found out that a gov. employee did not like their tissue and went and bought a box of a competitor brand.

And people say government cannot create jobs... the largest contractor in the entire world is the United States Government.
ineedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
I'm fine with having a huge military and spending a lot of cash on it. But I'm not fine with that military being spread all over the world doing things the public isn't readily informed of.

I'm very not fine with the MASSIVE budgets the navy and airforce get to blow on experimental stuff that will never see the light of day. If we stopped developing new jets today it would be decades before anyone even had the remotest possibility to catch up. The B-2 Spirit is something like 25 years old and there isn't anything close out there that we aren't developing.

With all the money being spent on the military we still have issues of living conditions and basic supplies. We still farm out labor at all levels to contractors.

So how about we shift that money to other things in our country. Like competent high speed rail. More arts and sciences research grants. Public education budgets(with no bs federal strings attached). Rebuild our roads, dams, bridges, etc. There is just too much that needs done here to worry about the stability of some country the size of the county I live in halfway across the globe, especially when the instability was caused by us to start with.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
Flipnirish
Leaky Injector

Flipnirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Punch him in the face. He's wrong!
Flipnirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #20
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
OK, most of us can agree about the spending but how about the revenue! How much money do we have to borrow from China? Majority of the people in this thread blames Obama, but what about the House and Senate, there the ones giving out the tax breaks, the loop holds and agreeing to the austerity measures. These measures are boosted by the republicans, but have doomed most of Europe. Government must spend to create jobs, we need to rebuild America ASAP! Private companies care about their bottom line! If the majority of the Country follows Romney's 49 or 59 economical plan this country will end up like Europe! No revenue means borrowing, which means defense cuts, and less jobs for the military and civilian sector!

BBC News - EU austerity drive country by country
Old 07-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #21
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisfk View Post
OK, most of us can agree about the spending but how about the revenue! How much money do we have to borrow from China? Majority of the people in this thread blames Obama, but what about the House and Senate, there the ones giving out the tax breaks, the loop holds and agreeing to the austerity measures. These measures are boosted by the republicans, but have doomed most of Europe. Government must spend to create jobs, we need to rebuild America ASAP! Private companies care about their bottom line! If the majority of the Country follows Romney's 49 or 59 economical plan this country will end up like Europe! No revenue means borrowing, which means defense cuts, and less jobs for the military and civilian sector!

BBC News - EU austerity drive country by country
Yet massive spending increases and tax increases look just like that same europe 10 years ago.

They're going to need to spend less and take in more which is an impossible sell to the people because their actions have never matched their words. Give them more money and they won't keep spending the same. Anyone got a line by line breakdown of what we spent 5 trillion on that was so mission critical that it required us to tax the production of our generations to come to pay for it?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #22
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

s13 Spending

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolf View Post
Yet massive spending increases and tax increases look just like that same Europe 10 years ago.

They're going to need to spend less and take in more which is an impossible sell to the people because their actions have never matched their words. Give them more money and they won't keep spending the same. Anyone got a line by line breakdown of what we spent 5 trillion on that was so mission critical that it required us to tax the production of our generations to come to pay for it?

I dont want massive spending! I want the same taxes under Clinton, I want tax loop holes closed! Most of our military spending was bullshit contract and politicians greasing their pockets by any means! The last 10 years have been war profiteering at its finest. The only people hurt are the tax payers!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #23
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
and soldiers...
Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #24
Slims
Zilvia Member

Slims is an unknown quantity at this point
^+1

Like said before, gove contracts are outrageous! The big companies that provide for the military, GE for example charge an arm and a leg for stuff that was developed back in the 70s-80s. Another example is a box of tape cost around $1000. Anywhere else would charge a fraction of that. Dig a bit deeper. Supply and demand, unfortunately the big companies in America are a cause of the amount of military funding.
Slims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #25
raz0rbladez909
Nissanaholic!

raz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slims View Post
^+1

Like said before, gove contracts are outrageous! The big companies that provide for the military, GE for example charge an arm and a leg for stuff that was developed back in the 70s-80s. Another example is a box of tape cost around $1000. Anywhere else would charge a fraction of that. Dig a bit deeper. Supply and demand, unfortunately the big companies in America are a cause of the amount of military funding.
Truth, I've seen bolts that would cost 27 cents at Ace hardware cost up to 27 dollars for that same bolt through our supply system. It's not like it's anything special either just a standard 3/8" bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
How do people still not know that there are so many assholes here? If they joined before 05-06, They are gonna be an asshole. Almost guaranteed.
raz0rbladez909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #26
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
The government shouldn't be contracting for anything military related. Why should an entire theater of combat hing on a single IT guy from General Dynamics not being an ass about a password on some piece of equipment?
Old 07-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #27
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
slowvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlong View Post

Thank you! It bugs the hell out of me when people quote things like that and don't cite a source.

At any rate, yeah, military spending is nuts.
BUT, to reply to the original post comparing our military spending to that of China, I think that their Trillions go much further than our Trillions. Of course our military is probably still more advanced, but their wages and production costs etc. etc. yada yada is much, much cheaper than ours. So (hypothetically speaking) our one million might equal their $500,000 (probably not that big of a gap, but you get what I'm trying to say).
slowvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #28
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i agree it's absurd. its not too encouraging how most of the cuts were in 'family housing'.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #29
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Grenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Grenade180sx
We just dug a hole to deep and forgot to bring a ladder in with us.

its only time until the Economy collapses, Bush didn't help, obama hasn't helped and almost every other politician hasnt helped.

but hey "we the people" elected them.
Grenade180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #30
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

How do people say Obama didn't help?

Do you know how far we fell in the great depression and how long it took to get out of it? Do you pay attention to the stock market and employment numbers?

The only time America wasn't in steady growth since Obama was in office was during the Republican manufactured debt ceiling crisis.