Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-18-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
project_240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
project_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA ka-t long driving??

i make about 2 road trips down and back from chattanooga TN to houston TX every year and it is about a 14-16 hr drive each way. just wondering...any ka-t's doing that long of a haul? what do you do differently when driving for that much, assuming you have the standard bolt-on kit such as the XS kit???

-thanks

-jake
project_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2003, 10:22 PM   #2
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
if i really wanted to save gas i'd set boost as low as possible.... but... on my last long drive, and first long drive with the turbo (peiced together "kit") my compressor wheel nut came off and the turbo screwed itself. $80 later I'm as good as new though. Next time i'd just make sure all my hoses and stuff are secure. it turns out the wheel nut in my case might have started from a bad oil supply. keep checking your oil as much as possible too. that's all i can think of at least.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:45 AM   #3
240racer
Zilvia Junkie

240racer is an unknown quantity at this point
when cruising you aren't in boost so it's really like the turbo isn't even there, untill you have to pass. As long as you have driven a few hundred miles aroung town to make sure that everything is put together right and your hoses are tight, etc. Then you shouldn't have any problems. The only problems I have had are from hoses coming off or breaking because they were crappy. Also, make sure your car has a good heat shield setup, esp. by the MC, ifyou overheat that then you are going to have fun stopping.

'88 Celica All-Trac turbo
stock, but no more ecu codes!!
240racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 09:48 AM   #4
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
You will theoretically get better gas mileage on the highway with a turbo, because the car isn't working as hard to suck air, as it is getting pushed in.
I drove 2 hours home every weekend for about 3 months with my KA-T. No overheating, nothing. Just watch your foot. The car will go from 70mph to 90mph in a couple seconds.
-Jeff
Old 02-19-2003, 08:44 PM   #5
d240t2
Zilvia Member

d240t2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to d240t2
Air isn't getting pushed in when you aren't in the gas though...you have to make enough exhaust gas to power the compressor faster than the engine ingests air.

So on a KA with a T3 or larger, you won't be in the boost at cruise, even at 100mph. Your boost controller could be set at 5psi or 50psi, you'd get the same gas mileage because you'd never see boost.

If you aren't in the gas the whole time...trying to set a new world speed record (which you may), then you won't have any problems with a well sorted turbo system. I have gotten as high as 26mpg on a drive from TX to GA, with the car loaded down (moving for summer internship)...and my roommate borrowed my car to go from GA to NC and claims 29mpg.

The only problem I have had on a long trip is with the RevHard manifold spitting bolts out...but that was only a problem when the manifold was at a real high temp (EGT's at 700C at cruise), and then I got in the boost trying to catch up to Chris May and Russ who had gotten ahead of me by going 125mph. Now, I don't have a RevHard manifold...and I have yet to lose a bolt.

Dennis
d240t2 is offline   Reply With Quote