Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-09-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
wheresthaboost?
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
wheresthaboost? is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I attempt the swap....

Alright so based on the replies of my other thread I want to go back to my original idea which was to do the rb25 swap myself. Im 15 turning 16 in march, I got an avererage (prob below average here on zilvia ) amount of knowledge of motors in general and what it takes to do a swap, I got a shitload of time, and I'de be willing to get the tools I need. I'de def. be getting alot of help from here on zilvia and hopefully from any locals who have done the swap. Also, ever since I moved to P-cola I havent really had shit to do so I would be pretty dedicated to it. So, from those of you who've done the swap, should I even attempt it?

Edit: Taking everyones advice, im looking for a stock zenki and I plan on making suspension mods and such until im ready for the rb. Thanks for the help guys, I hope everyone who replies to the thread has read this 1st..

RB25DET S13

Last edited by wheresthaboost?; 12-09-2006 at 08:18 PM..
wheresthaboost? is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
TipStylez
Zilvia Addict

TipStylez will become famous soon enoughTipStylez will become famous soon enoughTipStylez will become famous soon enoughTipStylez will become famous soon enoughTipStylez will become famous soon enough
DO IT!

Just make sure you have everything to get it running, and rember...Mark all the bolts in a zip loc or them lil storange containers so you dont lose them or end up figuring out what bolt goes were in the end...
TipStylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
qwikspool
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
qwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to qwikspool
yeah go for it. it feels good at the end that you did the job your self.
qwikspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
CarloSR
Leaky Injector

CarloSR is making a name for him/her selfCarloSR is making a name for him/her selfCarloSR is making a name for him/her self
Go fot it.

CarloSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I say go for it.
AFTER:
1) buy running stock car
2) learn the car
3) suspension/brakes
4) RE learn the car
5) see if you can get some seat time in a controlled environment in someone's car with power level similar to what you seek
6) do not rush the swap, do it right the first time, it'll be more cost-effective in the long run.

... yes, I am mainly saying this because of your age.

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
wheresthaboost?
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLIP
I say go for it.
AFTER:
1) buy running stock car
2) learn the car
3) suspension/brakes
4) RE learn the car
5) see if you can get some seat time in a controlled environment in someone's car with power level similar to what you seek
6) do not rush the swap, do it right the first time, it'll be more cost-effective in the long run.

... yes, I am mainly saying this because of your age.
yeah my moms now in the process of getting a second car for lengthy trips she takes every once in a while (long story) and that'll become my "beater" while im working on the swap

In addition, im pretty firm with my decision to go with the swap now after reading through kouki s14's and Tenchuu's write-ups. Im probably going to be lookin for a front clip in the next month and aquiring all the parts I need (mounts and shit), although i still need an s14 Wish me luck guys and if you know of a stock kouki in my area hit me up.

RB25DET S13
Old 12-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
If you can pull off the swap yourself, and still keep time for studying and doing good in school then go for it. But if you waste too much time swapping engines instead of getting into college, then in a couple years you won't have your parents money to spend on cars anymore. Remember that.
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #8
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthaboost?
yeah my moms now in the process of getting a second car for lengthy trips she takes every once in a while (long story) and that'll become my "beater" while im working on the swap

In addition, im pretty firm with my decision to go with the swap now after reading through kouki s14's and Tenchuu's write-ups. Im probably going to be lookin for a front clip in the next month and aquiring all the parts I need (mounts and shit), although i still need an s14 Wish me luck guys and if you know of a stock kouki in my area hit me up.
No, you missed what I said, I mean buy a stock 240SX and do what I said, in the order in which I presented it.

And I write too!
Old 12-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
Jefferson
Zilvia Junkie

Jefferson is making a name for him/her selfJefferson is making a name for him/her self
You really should buy the car BEFORE you buy your clip.
What if you drive the car stock and have to fix it but don't have the money because you blew it all on the swap that you can't put in now?
Also some advice from experience make sure you have like an extra grand chilling in the bank because something unforeseen always happens while doing a swap(like shit breaking, missing...)
Either way good luck on your project and you shouldn't have trouble finding help
Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
wheresthaboost?
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson
You really should buy the car BEFORE you buy your clip.
What if you drive the car stock and have to fix it but don't have the money because you blew it all on the swap that you can't put in now?
Also some advice from experience make sure you have like an extra grand chilling in the bank because something unforeseen always happens while doing a swap(like shit breaking, missing...)
Either way good luck on your project and you shouldn't have trouble finding help
Sorry if you misunderstood but yeah ill def be buying the car before the clip, thanx though..

RB25DET S13
Old 12-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #11
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
edit: nevermind you answered that.

I wouldnt bother swapping to RB until after you either blow up the KA or at least put some effort into the driving of said car. Drive with KA, lower the car, get nice wheels, good tires, and a diff.

Its gonna suck having a beast under the hood that can only get moving on one leg.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #12
lilredstiffy
Zilvia Addict

lilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to lilredstiffy Send a message via AIM to lilredstiffy
I'd do it. You'd be the coolest guy at your high school
lilredstiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #13
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Buying the car first = Good idea

Performing a swap and putting more power into a car a car you don't know = Bad Idea

As was stated...
Buy Car
Learn Car
Fix Car
Re-Learn Car
Then think about more power
Old 12-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #14
wheresthaboost?
Zilvia Member

Quote:
No, you missed what I said, I mean buy a stock 240SX and do what I said, in the order in which I presented it.
ohhhhh yeah sorry I misread, Ill prob have the car for about a month before I start the swap but I wont be getting much more seat time than that (atleast not in the 240).

RB25DET S13
Old 12-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #15
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

how much experience do you have driving anything?
Old 12-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #16
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Quote:
ohhhhh yeah sorry I misread, Ill prob have the car for about a month before I start the swap but I wont be getting much more seat time than that (atleast not in the 240).
That is the polar opposite of what I suggest someone your age and experience level do. No, I do not doubt your ability to follow instructions enough to actually complete the swap, and I am not going to spend even a moment on where the money for it will come from.
What I am saying is that the swap should be the LAST thing you do. Buy a car with working KA and learn to drive it well, then you upgrade EVERYTHING except the engine (suspension, brakes, differential), then learn to drive the car again (yes, it IS that different), THEN you go for the engine swap.
Jumping into a swapped car with little/no experience at that power level and without necessary supporting modifications is the recipe for another "240SX wrapped around a telephone pole" story.

And I write too!
Old 12-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #17
wheresthaboost?
Zilvia Member

Quote:
That is the polar opposite of what I suggest someone your age and experience level do. No, I do not doubt your ability to follow instructions enough to actually complete the swap, and I am not going to spend even a moment on where the money for it will come from.
What I am saying is that the swap should be the LAST thing you do. Buy a car with working KA and learn to drive it well, then you upgrade EVERYTHING except the engine (suspension, brakes, differential), then learn to drive the car again (yes, it IS that different), THEN you go for the engine swap.
Jumping into a swapped car with little/no experience at that power level and without necessary supporting modifications is the recipe for another "240SX wrapped around a telephone pole" story.
I gotcha now and I think I am going to take your advice, for right now im still looking for a kouki but I dont think I'll worry bout swapping until schools over (around june/july). Thanx for all the help guys...

RB25DET S13
Old 12-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #18
s13speeddrft
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
s13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13speeddrft
you still jsut dont get anything these guys are trying to tell you. You are 15 so have you ever had any significant seat time in anything? It will take longer than till july to buy suspension and all that stuff that comes before the swap and learn the car enough to boost up in power. You need more seat time than that.
s13speeddrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #19
wheresthaboost?
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13speeddrft
you still jsut dont get anything these guys are trying to tell you. You are 15 so have you ever had any significant seat time in anything? It will take longer than till july to buy suspension and all that stuff that comes before the swap and learn the car enough to boost up in power. You need more seat time than that.
I know how to drive, never driven anything rwd though, I thought 6-7 months would be a good enough time to wait to get aquainted with the car...

RB25DET S13
Old 12-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #20
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
That's enough time to acquaint yourself with a stock car. But you have to relearn some things once you upgrade the brakes, and the suspension, put in a better diferential, etc. etc.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #21
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
rb25 isn't a motor.
its an engine

First.. outdrive the limits of the stock 240. Then modify.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #22
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
I know how to drive, never driven anything rwd though, I thought 6-7 months would be a good enough time to wait to get aquainted with the car...
you still not getting it.

they don't mean learn how to drive as in driving out to the supermarket or going to school in the morning. they mean learn how to drive as in getting your ass on a track and leanring to drive fast without spinning out and killing yourself.

if you can't manage that in a ka24de, you sure as hell won't be able to handle a rb25det.

motorswap is the last thing you should worry about. if you buy a s14 and put a rb25 in it, what do you have? you'll have a high hp car on old ass stock brakes, crappy stock suspension, stock wheels with skinny rubber, with a inexperienced driver.

the car is a system. more power requires wider rubber, which requires wider wheels and bigger brakes, and at the minimum refurbished suspension.

if all you want to do is build a car, then you will need the money to buy the car, do all the mods listed above and then have money left over to do the rb25. that's alot of freakin money.

and all of that is still useless if you don't have a driver who knows what he's doing.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #23
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
But dawg you don't be felling me. I gots to have a hella sick s14 with a hella sick engine you don't even be fellin me mang! I don't drive like dem otha boyz I know my stuff!

I suggest purchasing a 95 zenki, because it's utterly pointless to purchase a kouki which will most likely have a low mileage ka which you'll be essentially throwing away.

So with the money you save, you can have more money to get the car up and running and then purchase a kouki front later.

Who fed info to you that the ka is crap?

You're going about this all in the wrong way.

You haven't even gotten the car are you are setting pretty high standards.

First do exactly what PHLIP said.
Quote:
1) buy running stock car
2) learn the car
3) suspension/brakes
4) RE learn the car
What made you choose the rb25?

Wait a second...

WTF did you start a thread which is a damn near clone of your other one?

It's not like what was said in that thread is any different.
Hows this s14 for my first car?
Old 12-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #24
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
buy a motor set fuck the front clip..... buy a stand alone... and the mounts to make the swap work.... and one of those cheap ass ebay fmic kits... and ur good to go..... id rather wire in a stand alone then a stock oem harness... from the money u save from not buying a front clip.. it should be adequate.... microtech,haltech,motec,autronic, even the ghetto SDS efi.. anythings better then the oem harness.. i say..
Old 12-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #25
wheresthaboost?
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar!
But dawg you don't be felling me. I gots to have a hella sick s14 with a hella sick engine you don't even be fellin me mang! I don't drive like dem otha boyz I know my stuff!

I suggest purchasing a 95 zenki, because it's utterly pointless to purchase a kouki which will most likely have a low mileage ka which you'll be essentially throwing away.

So with the money you save, you can have more money to get the car up and running and then purchase a kouki front later.

Who fed info to you that the ka is crap?

You're going about this all in the wrong way.

You haven't even gotten the car are you are setting pretty high standards.

First do exactly what PHLIP said.

What made you choose the rb25?

Wait a second...

WTF did you start a thread which is a damn near clone of your other one?

It's not like what was said in that thread is any different.
Hows this s14 for my first car?

lol Ive already decided that ill be looking for a zenki and eventually putting a kouki front on, I never said the ka is crap and I just wanted to see what everyone thought of someone my age and with my experience attempting to do an rb swap. I like the rb because I wouldnt have to modify it to have relativley good power and I could keep it stock. Also, the thread that you mentioned is totally different, I started it to get opinions on the s14 I was looking into and have now dismissed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitexsound
buy a motor set fuck the front clip..... buy a stand alone... and the mounts to make the swap work.... and one of those cheap ass ebay fmic kits... and ur good to go..... id rather wire in a stand alone then a stock oem harness... from the money u save from not buying a front clip.. it should be adequate.... microtech,haltech,motec,autronic, even the ghetto SDS efi.. anythings better then the oem harness.. i say..
If I do do the swap im not gonna be fucking with the wiring...

RB25DET S13
Old 12-09-2006, 07:17 PM   #26
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
well, i do give you respect for not flipping out at everyone putting your ideas down...

They do have a point though... Regardless of your age, even if you were 40, i would recomend driving and getting used to the STOCK car first. RWD is a lot different, and everytime you change a part on ANY car, it will take getting used to
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #27
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I say own the car for a year before attempting any major modifications such as an engine swap.

I also say allow 3 months of owning the car before doing anything but a tune up. Then get into Suspension and I/H/E allowing at least a month to pass between each upgrade. By the time you have the suspension built you should be ready to swap.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:38 PM   #28
yokotas13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
if you cant swap it, you shouldnt drive it
yokotas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #29
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

i disagree with that. Your ability to install an engine has no bearing on whether you can drive it or not. Mechanical knowledge is not driving knowledge.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:45 PM   #30
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
So you have 8k to spend on the swap?

And another 4~k for a s14?

I'd suggest upgrading your car in terms of handeling first.

Just because you can drop a engine in doesn't mean the car can handle it.

Stop fast to go fast. Get z32 brakes or some form up upgraded brakes.

Then get suspension.

Then further down the road get power.

Look into a ka-t setup.

It's ALOT cheaper.