Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Thumbs up How To: DIY front 5lug conversion

i've had a few people asking me about this, and couldn't find much info on it, so i figured i'd post up a simple how-to. my housemate Chris (Chris28) did this on his s13 a few months back with no issues, and i've heard of a few big-name drift teams doing this instead of expensive/crappy used s14 parts or aftermarket conversions as well.

you'll need:
- floor jack
- jack stands
- 19mm wrench
- pliers
- 30mm socket (s13) or 32mm socket (s14)
- impact gun or breaker bar
- manly hammer
- flathead screwdriver
- 5lug rotors (s14 SE front rotors, specifically non-ABS)
- new wheel studs (recommended)
- cutting disk (air tools ftw)
- drill press
- 1/2" metal bit (may need more than one, bent ones don't drill too well)

before: 4lug/5lug stagger. wtf

car securely on jack stands, wheel off, caliper off (two 19mm bolts, 3/4" wrench will work too), rotor off, hub nut cover off (hammer and flathead screwdriver), cotter pin out, bust a nut (30mm for s13, 32mm for s14).

tap three studs out too while you're here. (don't mind those collars, i was in the middle of messing with the coilover.)

get some 5lug rotors. tell the parts store you need front rotors for a 95 240sx SE. i know ABS makes a difference; you specifically need non-ABS rotors. they should be exactly like you old 4lug rotors, sans bolt pattern. make sure they match before continuing.

put the new rotor on the hub via the remaining stud and mark the new hole locations.

tape up the ends so you don't get shit in your bearing.

now cut/grind the backside webbing where the new studs will fall. don't worry about balancing it. there is very little material to remove, and it's all very close to the center of rotation. merely losing a wheel weight would mess up the balance wayyyyy worse than grinding this.

get it as best you can, we'll touch it up later.

now put a bit of tape on the single stud (so the rotor stays perfectly in place) and slap that bitch on a drill press armed with a 1/2" metal bit. ready, aim, fire. (p.s. patience and drill oil are your best friends.)

look at that redrilled sexiness.

grab some new studs, pop em all in, check clearances on the backside, and regrind as needed. i guess you could reuse your old ones, but for a buck or two each you might as well put in fresh ones.

bang em from behind, slide the hub back into place, and retighten that nut.

rotor back on, lug nuts tightened to carefully help pull the studs through.

cotter pin back in, bearing cap tapped on, caliper on, wheel on, lug nuts tight to seat those studs permanently.

back down on the ground. roll it and drive it to make sure nothing feels loose or noisy.

annndddddd that's it. took me the better part of an afternoon. not bad considering my only major costs were rotors and the 30mm socket.

and for reference: no, this will not work on the rear. the rear 4lug hubs are shaped like four leaf clovers, thus not providing enough material to safely drill a 5lug pattern. you're gonna have to find s14 SE hubs (my route) or conversion hubs for that.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
i've heard of a few big-name drift teams doing this instead of expensive/crappy used s14 parts or aftermarket conversions as well.
Wuw, wuw, wuw, wuw.... wuw.............wuw.................wuw......
You think machining the stock 4 lug hubs with a drill press and grinder is better than converting over to used S14 5 lug???? That is suuuuper interesting. Didn't think said "big-name drift teams" couldn't afford using 5-lug hubs.

My YouTube Channel
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
One_love_silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
looks pretty good to me. tho wouldnt it be a good idea to possibly bang the old studs halfway out, cut them on each end, and weld in the remaining piece of the stud to the hub? and then grind down and left over bumps from welding it and make it flat? this way u wouldnt be missing the strength of a true 5 lug hub. right?

or am i just being to idealistic? lol

regardless, i went with the "cheap used s14 hubs" route. and i got a KILLER deal on all 4. u just have to be patient and wait until u can find amazing deals.
even tho this doesnt look too bad, i ended up paying MAYBE a total of 90$ (if not less) for all 4 of my hubs -granted i got waaay lucky on one of the pairs- and i can say i know for a fact that they'll last.

/shrug.
good write up tho.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertsnowcarver View Post
Wuw, wuw, wuw, wuw.... wuw.............wuw.................wuw......
You think machining the stock 4 lug hubs with a drill press and grinder is better than converting over to used S14 5 lug???? That is suuuuper interesting. Didn't think said "big-name drift teams" couldn't afford using 5-lug hubs.
k well it works fine sooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_love_silvia View Post
looks pretty good to me. tho wouldnt it be a good idea to possibly bang the old studs halfway out, cut them on each end, and weld in the remaining piece of the stud to the hub? and then grind down and left over bumps from welding it and make it flat? this way u wouldnt be missing the strength of a true 5 lug hub. right?
ehhhhh... it doesn't really... work that way. you can't just cut that gusset off in one block. regardless, these hubs are rather over-engineered anyways. they're damn beefy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_love_silvia View Post
regardless, i went with the "cheap used s14 hubs" route. and i got a KILLER deal on all 4. u just have to be patient and wait until u can find amazing deals.
i looked around for a long time. got a pair of rears for free, homeslice discount sorta thing. couldn't find fronts, but after seeing how simple it was to redrill them on my housemate's s13, i figured i'd go ahead and do it on mine. i had the time, the tools, and the patience.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Team DET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
Team DET is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/173773-diy-thread.html 6th post...I want to try this
Team DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

oh snap, i didn't realized there was a DIY thread, much less with this conversion in it. but oh well, at least my write up is still worth something for being a lot more in-depth and instructional than that guy's two pictures
Old 08-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
negrosx13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
negrosx13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to negrosx13
nice write up man