Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Archive and FAQs

Archive and FAQs Archives and Frequently Asked Questions about the 240SX are in here.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:06 AM   #91
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
^ thanks. I'll definitely remember that.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #92
drifting.8
Zilvia Member

Location: What's heavier a pound of iron or a pound of feathers??
Trader Rating: (0)
drifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drifting.8
wow nice write up..
im gonna start my paint project soon.

RB 25DET NiZTECH BUILT
Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 AM   #93
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
*20 day bump*

Well, I finally got around to fully cleaning out my garage.

Now, there's enough space to fit 1 1/2 cars, or 1 car with lots of work space.

My friend just bought a paint kit off of another member on here for his S13.

Silverstone 350z.

He has the same colored FN's as that Z too.

17x9 +15 wrapped in Falken RT-615's.

Hopefully, if everything gets here before this weekend(and we buy the rest of the materials), I'll be prepping his car starting wednesday, and finishing it up on sunday.

Must test my paint skills...

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #94
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a question for the pro's.

If I'm going to paint my car in my garage, should I just clean the garage really well or try and construct some sort of makeshift booth?

My garage is pretty large so cleaning it is gonna be a pain. But if that's all I'd have to do then, cool.

Any ideas on what I could make a booth out of that I would be able to put it up and down?

I have to do some body work. Just bondo to take care of the larger dents and stuff like that? I have a gallon of Marglass I bought a while ago. I never hear people talk about Marglass. But from my understanding it's a combo of bondo and fiberglass so it's supposed to be stronger/better. Any tips?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #95
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
From what I've been told, as long as you mask off the walls, get some sort of ventilation going, and do it on a warm day, you should be fine.

Obviously clean the work space to be as close to dust free as possible.

A little dust doesn't hurt. I mean, you'll be wet sanding the car anyways.

We'll see how it goes this weekend.

My garage isn't dust free, but I made sure to sweep it out the best I possibly could and organize things to have more work space.

I'll try to get a picture of it later today.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 01-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #96
mehsilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
mehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Yeah, i suggest you drop cloth every side of the garage at minimum. If you dont have a fancy finish on the garage floor (its already fucked with stains) then just wet it down with the hose before you shoot. I wouldnt worry to much about the ceiling and stuff.

If you wanna go hardcore booth style on the cheap, then i would recomment PVC/Sprinkler piping and use the corner transitions and 45angles to build a frame, the wrap it in drop cloths. Its a thought.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #97
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Trader Rating: (0)
ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehsilvia View Post
If you wanna go hardcore booth style on the cheap, then i would recomment PVC/Sprinkler piping and use the corner transitions and 45angles to build a frame, the wrap it in drop cloths. Its a thought.
That is my plan when the time comes. I'm thinking of adding a box fan or two to the back of the "booth" with some home A/C filters strapped to them. Keep the air moving, keep the dirt out.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #98
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I was thinking of the PVC deal on my driveway with box fans like you guys mentioned.. but its too cold to do that shit right now.

maybe mid spring time?
my garage is filled with shit and im antsy to test out my new 60gal compressor.

last time, i tried it in the open during a summer night with a 10gal compressor..
thats the last of that.
i got so fed up waiting for the air to fill up and trying to get the bugs out of the paint.
it also came out like shit and paint was PINK when i was told it was the cherry red color.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #99
mehsilvia
Post Whore!

mehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfectionmehsilvia is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
That is my plan when the time comes. I'm thinking of adding a box fan or two to the back of the "booth" with some home A/C filters strapped to them. Keep the air moving, keep the dirt out.
Yeah forgot about the ventilation. Box fans with home filters would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tang View Post
I was thinking of the PVC deal on my driveway with box fans like you guys mentioned.. but its too cold to do that shit right now.

maybe mid spring time?
my garage is filled with shit and im antsy to test out my new 60gal compressor.

last time, i tried it in the open during a summer night with a 10gal compressor..
thats the last of that.
i got so fed up waiting for the air to fill up and trying to get the bugs out of the paint.
it also came out like shit and paint was PINK when i was told it was the cherry red color.
Yeah, 60gal or bust! Good choice. Cant run shit with 10gal.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #100
babowc
Post Whore!

babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
yeah, homedepot was having a sale..
bringing it home was the bitchy part.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #101
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
Yeah, i suggest you drop cloth every side of the garage at minimum. If you dont have a fancy finish on the garage floor (its already fucked with stains) then just wet it down with the hose before you shoot. I wouldnt worry to much about the ceiling and stuff.

If you wanna go hardcore booth style on the cheap, then i would recommend PVC/Sprinkler piping and use the corner transitions and 45angles to build a frame, the wrap it in drop cloths. Its a thought.
YES! Thanks for the idea. That's what I was looking for. The ceiling of my garage has rafter so I can hang the frame from the rafters and drape the drop cloths over them. That should work well.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #102
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

I'm backing out of my own plan.

I was supposed to spray my buddies car by this weekend, but his entire driver's side is full of bondo(yes, from the door hinge to the taillight). So, I was planning on breaking all of that off, pulling it the best I could, cutting off the fenders, welding the seam shut, and covering it up with 30mm overfenders.

I don't have a welder or jig saw, so it was going to take me longer to actually get it painted.

So, he bought this:

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=173664

Talk about luck.

I mean, we have to swap over all of his parts(coilovers, full 5-lug, full Z32 brake swap, motor w/5-speed, interior) but, no bondo = awesome.

Supposed to pick it up this weekend, but I'm gonna try my hardest to pick it up by tomorrow morning to get this thing started.

I love me a new project...

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 01-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #103
Skullavera
Zilvia FREAK!

Skullavera is close to perfectionSkullavera is close to perfectionSkullavera is close to perfectionSkullavera is close to perfectionSkullavera is close to perfectionSkullavera is close to perfectionSkullavera is close to perfectionSkullavera is close to perfectionSkullavera is close to perfectionSkullavera is close to perfectionSkullavera is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Skullavera
Damn you Johnny! If you come across something like that again let me know! I can use another chassis still.

Reviews/Feedback!
Old 02-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #104
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
How did you guys lay the paint so smooth? I got the HVLP HF gun and it like sputtered out the paint.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:21 AM   #105
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
hey so has anyone made like a tarp or booth in thier driveway? my garage is full of crap .. but maybe i could pitch a canopy with tarps and spray inside it on my driveway on a weekend.. i duno.

I have a friend who can spray my car in like 1 day in his driveway, but i could prolly do a decent job myself

my old s13 was painted at maaco.. shit cost me over $900 cuz i had em spray the body kit individually, shave a rear blinker, some repairs to the kouki wing. I brung the car in pieces.
It was a real bright Chevy white..

Prior b4 paint, i sprayed the engine bay with Rustoleum Appliance epoxy paint when i did the motor swap.. came out pimpage

the kid who i sold it to was a lil picky bitch and had the rear quarter panel repaired and resprayed.. the wrinkled rear end was too much for him.. well the whole car was, so he sold it lol..
Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #106
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek View Post
hey so has anyone made like a tarp or booth in thier driveway? my garage is full of crap .. but maybe i could pitch a canopy with tarps and spray inside it on my driveway on a weekend.. i duno.
I'm going this route below.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Old 02-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #107
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
that sounds like a plan.. do on a hot day.. .gotta wait a while tho this weather here sucks..
Old 02-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #108
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
that sounds like a plan.. do on a hot day.. .gotta wait a while tho this weather here sucks..
Shut up ( ). It's been blow 0 here and we're getting about 5"-9" of snow tomorrow.

I can't even THINK of painting my car for another 3 months... I cna't even start doing any body work yet.

My friend just bought an air compressor and dropped it off at my house. I just need to have another buddy of mine run 220.

In another month or so we're gonna work on the booth to have it ready.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #109
S13FREEAAK
Drifterella

Trader Rating: (14)
S13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
When we sprayed the VW we didn't wet the floor, of hang any plastic. We just took the things like the tool boxes, welders, wheels, and what not out of my buddies garage. We had the garage door cracked a few inches and had one of those turbine fans running. All in all the dust was very minimal, only 3 little dust imperfections that could've been buffed out if it was a normal base/clear paint job.

The floor didn't get painted, or the other things in the garage didn't get too much overspray.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #110
HyperTek
Post Whore!

my buddys car was painted in a driveway in 1 day..
hope he dont mind me posting it here
http://a784.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...e8c24ba0bf.jpg

I saw the car at night, yah he told me it needs color sanding. but I doubt hes too concerned about it bein show quality, its his daily whip/track car.

Ill start working on my car when the new kit comes in heheh
Old 02-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #111
DrFtKiNg240sxy
BANNED

DrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfection
^^^isnt that Vinh's car?

Paint came out pretty decent for being sprayed in a driveway.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #112
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Vinh's car needed a LOT of color sanding the night I saw it.

Well, depending on how the weather turns out this weekend, i'll be finally spraying that black car I posted up.

Not much body work needed, so it's all good.

Sanding will be a breeze with the sander.

Obviously going to finish it up sanding it by hand to have the base as smooth and even as possible.

Then, once it's primered, sanding everything from there on by hand.

Wet sanding every step too.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #113
HyperTek
Post Whore!

think there is enough room to paint a car in a storage place? lol
i dunno how that works but jus curious if u rented storage, put all ur shit in there wiht the car.. then closed the door so no one would know waht ur doing, and just knock it out, then leave the car in there.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:02 AM   #114
DrFtKiNg240sxy
BANNED

DrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfectionDrFtKiNg240sxy is close to perfection
^^^ if people are down to split the price for the storage with me, my car can be the guinea pig. haha
Old 02-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #115
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
think there is enough room to paint a car in a storage place? lol
i dunno how that works but jus curious if u rented storage, put all ur shit in there wiht the car.. then closed the door so no one would know waht ur doing, and just knock it out, then leave the car in there.
Overspray. You'd ruin it. If there's a security deposit, you'd definitely loose it. Sometimes storage places have a min. amount of months you have to rent for.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #116
mehsilvia
Post Whore!

Since you wont have 220 for a decent compressor, youll have to run a small 20gal, and its definately gonna attract some attention to the storage unit.
And wake the guard dogs
Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #117
HyperTek
Post Whore!

ive had friends say " you can spray at my house" and waht not, but its mostly if thier parents are ok with it, and then im pretty sure its gonna be "ok u gotta go home now" and drive the car wet lol
Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #118
cfinch
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
cfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
I have a question for the pro's.

If I'm going to paint my car in my garage, should I just clean the garage really well or try and construct some sort of makeshift booth?

My garage is pretty large so cleaning it is gonna be a pain. But if that's all I'd have to do then, cool.

Any ideas on what I could make a booth out of that I would be able to put it up and down?

I have to do some body work. Just bondo to take care of the larger dents and stuff like that? I have a gallon of Marglass I bought a while ago. I never hear people talk about Marglass. But from my understanding it's a combo of bondo and fiberglass so it's supposed to be stronger/better. Any tips?
If your in a garage you can get large rolls of plastic and just tape it everywhere to enclose it... or Harbor Freight is amazing just wait till the right size tarp is on sale and thats super cheap. Also they have carports on sale all the time for about $150 and it's fully enclosed just stand it up... I recommend some kind of fan to draw air out of the enclosure but it's not a must. You will get alot of dirt and lint in the paint just make sure you have plenty of clear on there and take the time to sand/buff afterwards and it shouldn't be much issue. I sprayed all my cars in a booth but it wasn't made for cars and it was disgusting in there... I would have been better off spraying outside but I could make a huge mess in there and it didn't matter... In the end I was able to create factory quality paint jobs with a steady hand and some good finish work...

As far as filler goes try to keep it as thin as possible. If the dent is large then hammer it out from the inside then grind down the area and fill... Use a block and guide coating to get it where you want it to be. As for filler I never use bondo products... I don't know the name off the top of my head but I get my products from a body shop supply... It's like a teal color but I don't remember the name... As long as you go to a good auto paint supply store they are really helpful for pointing you in the right direction. My local store the guys are so awesome! They walked me through it and helped me pick out finishes and even took me outside to show me their cars that they painted and how different pearls would turn out and whatnot it was very educational. Much more so then the internet cause your seeing it in real life right before your eyes and those guys aren't afraid to give out knowledge like a bodyshop would be.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #119
mehsilvia
Post Whore!

cfinch,

Is it the evercoat products? Best shit ive worked with, and they have several skim coats for a perfect feathering
http://www.evercoat.com/

And ive looked at those Harbor Freight Booths too
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42211

On Sale Now! $159
Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #120
cfinch
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
cfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yes I use evercoat! Really awesome stuff!

That car enclosure for $160 is cheap! You can tear it down store it anywhere and use it again and again! Makes life super easy... If I have to spray a car again thats prolly what I'd use myself.