Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
J30 VLSD Output Shaft Questions

I've searched and searched and can't find the answer I'm looking for even though I know I've seen it discussed in the past. First I'll explain my setup in case it changes anything. It is a shimmed j30 vlsd with a 4.36 R&P inside an s13 housing.

I need to know what side the longer output shaft goes in on a j30 vlsd. The issue I'm having is I had mine on the right(passenger) side and it would not go all the way in. This caused it to eat up axles because they were nearly fully compressed. I'm putting my 3rd axle in and decided to drop the diff and fix this issue finally. I thought it had something to do with the circlips, and while both were broken, it still wouldn't slide all the way in without them on. I found that when putting the longer shaft on the left(driver) side, they went all the way in perfectly. So is this the proper orientation? Looking at the splines inside the diff, it looks like it could work either way.

My second question is about the circlips. Since mine were broken I ordered 2 new ones(part number 38225-35F00). What is the proper way to install these: On the shaft or in the diff? I honestly don't remember if they stayed in the diff when I popped the shafts out originally.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Just tried putting the circlip on the stub and tried popping it in and it immediately broke the circlip. Any suggestion??
Old 07-30-2019, 11:28 PM   #3
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
In my experience with the R200 is the short output shaft gets the clip then installed, and the longer output shaft the clip must be inserted into the correct location inside the diff pumpkin then shaft inserted.