Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
ianmyers
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
ianmyers is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OBDII error codes won't go away...

Okay guys I want to settle all of my emissions problems once and for all. My 1996 s14 240sx (Bone stock KA24DE, 5 Speed) was due for smog by this past Monday (4/15/13) and since my temporary operating permit expired the rush is over. Bottom line is I want to get it smogged and everyone I take it to has done little to nothing about it. Any and all information would be helpful as I am pretty lost with what to do at this point. I've done several hours of research and applied it to the car but I haven't gotten anywhere. Here are the codes:

P0325 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)
- I haven't touched the knock sensor (yet) since it is my last priority at this point.

P0136 - o2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
-I just replaced the rear o2 sensor so I'm assuming this has something to do with wiring. I'd like some second hand advice with this though...

P0443 - EVAP Control System Surge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction
- This has been the nightmare for me and I can't figure out what the issue is with this either...

Like I said, any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks
ianmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
ianmyers
Zilvia Junkie

bump...any help is appreciated.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
hassanbakar123
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
hassanbakar123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
p0325----knock sensor should be between 500k and 620k ohms.
p0136

p0443-
hassanbakar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
ianmyers
Zilvia Junkie

bump...I'm still lost. If anyone in socal thinks they can handle this, I'll throw some cash there way to cover labor, parts and gas $ since my car is currently floating...
Old 04-27-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
idlafie
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
idlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The SEARCH Function here on Zilvia is YOUR FRIEND.....

Check out Pacman's post regarding the PO443 code

http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/2560...e-intense.html

Hope this helps.....

ID
Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
ianmyers
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlafie View Post
The SEARCH Function here on Zilvia is YOUR FRIEND.....

Check out Pacman's post regarding the PO443 code

http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/2560...e-intense.html

Hope this helps.....

ID
I read over that previously (it was one of the first threads that came up in my search) but none of his issues/solutions seemed to apply to my car and get rid of the code. I guess the search continues...
Old 04-28-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
silver350z05rb
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
silver350z05rb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmyers View Post
Okay guys I want to settle all of my emissions problems once and for all. My 1996 s14 240sx (Bone stock KA24DE, 5 Speed) was due for smog by this past Monday (4/15/13) and since my temporary operating permit expired the rush is over. Bottom line is I want to get it smogged and everyone I take it to has done little to nothing about it. Any and all information would be helpful as I am pretty lost with what to do at this point. I've done several hours of research and applied it to the car but I haven't gotten anywhere. Here are the codes:

P0325 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)
- I haven't touched the knock sensor (yet) since it is my last priority at this point.

P0136 - o2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
-I just replaced the rear o2 sensor so I'm assuming this has something to do with wiring. I'd like some second hand advice with this though...

P0443 - EVAP Control System Surge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction
- This has been the nightmare for me and I can't figure out what the issue is with this either...

Like I said, any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks
for the knock sensor, check to see if its connected, my friend recently bought a s14 and I used my scanner on it for check engine light, threw the knock sensor code, obviously you cant check to see if its cracked unless you remove it, but we were about to begin the removal and noticed the plug was just lightly on top of the mating plug, kind of floating, so I plugged it in and erased the code. other than that, if it is connected, I have had only good luck with OEM NISSAN knock sensors(others can pitch in if they used other brands and their light never came back on)

For the 02 sensor, the only thing I can say again is go NEW OEM(others may pitch in with other brands), some Nissans are picky if they are not factory sensors,(make sure you are erasing the codes after fixing the issues) the rear 02 sensor wiring is way easy to fix ,the primary 02 is harder (or not depending on you) due to the shield.

The evap one ..................idk, I don't have one on mine and im not sure why Im not getting the code for it. not sure if its because im bypassing the EGR (egr temp) with the 100k resistor????

hope that helps
silver350z05rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
ianmyers
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver350z05rb View Post
for the knock sensor, check to see if its connected, my friend recently bought a s14 and I used my scanner on it for check engine light, threw the knock sensor code, obviously you cant check to see if its cracked unless you remove it, but we were about to begin the removal and noticed the plug was just lightly on top of the mating plug, kind of floating, so I plugged it in and erased the code. other than that, if it is connected, I have had only good luck with OEM NISSAN knock sensors(others can pitch in if they used other brands and their light never came back on)

For the 02 sensor, the only thing I can say again is go NEW OEM(others may pitch in with other brands), some Nissans are picky if they are not factory sensors,(make sure you are erasing the codes after fixing the issues) the rear 02 sensor wiring is way easy to fix ,the primary 02 is harder (or not depending on you) due to the shield.

The evap one ..................idk, I don't have one on mine and im not sure why Im not getting the code for it. not sure if its because im bypassing the EGR (egr temp) with the 100k resistor????

hope that helps
For the knock sensor, I bought and new one and it's on the way to my house since everything was plugged in and connected, so I'm assuming it was the sensor itself that was throwing the code.

As far as the o2 sensor goes it has been replaced with a genuine Nissan part and the code is still appearing. I'm guessing the ECU might be causing the problem at this point? Or there might be a problem with the wiring from the o2 sensor. Still figuring this one out...

The EVAP one has been the biggest pain and I haven't really gotten anywhere with it, despite the information that has been given to me on this thread and also in other threads I have read by people who have the same problem.

Thanks to everyone for the information and help on these issues since I'm sure many of you realize how much of a headache these problems can be.