Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #31
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by highly responsive View Post
Like frame reinforcement, driveshaft, etc?
You don't need any more frame reinforcement than you normally would. People with SR and KA put out insane torque figures as well.

Definitely yes on the driveshaft, but the good thing is the Driveshaft Shop will make you one for around the same price as an SR/KA driveshaft, depending on how nice you are to them. Of course there is an markup for idiotic customers.

The etc. part will be hefty. It all depends on how good you are at fabrication. Everything will need to be fabricated or at least you have to mix and match stock parts.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #32
Firestorm
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Firestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Firestorm
CA takes about as much gas as SR. believe me, i had/have both
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #33
doug810

doug810 is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a bolt-on kit.
http://sikky.com/products/mount_kits/ls1__s14_240sx

It's on the high side but all you need is the wiring, ECU and exhaust

Other options are:
http://www.daftinnovations.com/
http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/s-3-n...0sx-89-94.aspx

It might cost more up front but remember you are getting 340 hp and getting 30 mpg.
doug810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #34
240sxaddict
Leaky Injector

240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self
If you're worried about gas mileage you should be modifying the car to support that. Aluminum undertrays/diffuser, lighten everything, and much more.

Hell my beater hatch gets 32mpg highway if I keep it out of open loop and I'm not hauling anything.
240sxaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #35
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dutchmalmiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxaddict View Post
If you're worried about gas mileage you should be modifying the car to support that. Aluminum undertrays/diffuser, lighten everything, and much more.

Hell my beater hatch gets 32mpg highway if I keep it out of open loop and I'm not hauling anything.
Honestly, lower weight and drag coefficient is where it's at. If you have balls and have AAA, then run an empty rear interior (half gutted) and no spare tire. I tried it for shits n giggles and I gained about 2-3 mpg. I just put everything back because I have passengers to take with me haha.

No matter what motor you have, the less weight to pull around = less needed power = less gas consumed = less vagina wanting you
Old 07-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #36
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
^^^ No lie.

My S14 is completely gutted. I recently added a passenger seat, and was lamenting how much weight it added (almost 30lbs with bracket/slider!).

It's literally as light as you can get an S-chassis - I guess I could run a Ti exhaust to save 10 more lbs, but shit... it's supposedly under 2500lbs (that's what another identical car weighed in at - I haven't weighed mine yet).

The motor is stock except for GT28 running on the wastegate. Probably makes 200hp.

I have C-West aero that sits less than 2" above the ground (too low, but I'm too lazy to change it right now), no wings, it's safe to say the car's aerodynamic.

I recently drove 224mi (work twice, out with friends, and then down to the beach), mostly freeway but I don't drive conservatively on the freeway - if there's an opening to spool it up for a sec, I took it...

Went to fill up and it took 8.2 gallons. >27mpg. This means I could hit 30mpg with ease. This means it makes more sense to daily drive my S14 than my Tacoma.

This is a problem for me.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #37
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I DD my stock KA24DE everyday going through the same exact route to work. I've noticed that when work stresses me out in the afternoon I get substantially lower gas milage because I tend to drive a bit harder. Usually in the morning when I go to work at about 7:45 with similar traffic as when I'm going home at 3:30 I get much better mileage because I'm more relaxed. Any motor can get good mileage you just have to remeber that the street isn't a racetrack.

If you don't believe me try to do your normal drive for a week shifting at about 2700 to 3000 RPMs and you'll notice a significant change in fuel economy with only a slight decrease in acceleration. In all seriousness you almost never need to do above 3K in most drives anyways unless you need to accelerate really hard. IIRC, 3k in an SR/KA S13 is about 70 mph give or take a smidge.

I also have a friend who just bought an S13 with a turboed single cam KA and he said it get horrible gas mileage because of the tune, so a good tune changes gas mileage a lot. The same friend said when he used to have his SR he used to get great gas mileage because he never drove in boost if it wasn't necessary. IMO if I were going for fuel economy I would go SR because of the ease of the swap and when you're driving out of boost you're just driving a 2 liter four banger around.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #38
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
if your trying to save money you would be spending more on swaps and upgrades. the effort and money put into dropping a different motor or w.e will be pointless. with that said it all depends if you just dont floor it all the time and cruise on highways with no traffic.
lazysk8er2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #39
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by highly responsive
Best swap for fuel economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highly responsive View Post
lets imagine that money isnt an issue.

wait for it...
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #40
Vision Garage
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
Vision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Vision Garage
Get a 3 cylinder motor in there. But i swear you better not come bitching about how it has no power. You either get really good gas mileage and no power or bad mileage with good power. If you are complaining right now about gas, you are in the wrong hobby my man!

Vision Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #41
louisdaboois
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
louisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
for ultimate fuel economy swap. definately go for a D16 (or whatever) honda series motor. because they're obviously econoboxes. or drop in a 800cc bike motor.

all in all, youre 240 might not get out of its own way, but damnit, it'll get 40+mpg
louisdaboois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #42
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
I will just say this. Your car is a Sports car, Gas mileage is not a primary concern. LOL If you really are getting that concerned about Gas mileage with it then you should just buy a gas sipper. a 92 Civic will get you 35-40 mpg and cost you $1500-2k. Ya you could drop a SR,VQ,LS1, in the end you should not be putting any of these engines in for the sake of gas mileage. You will spend a lot more extra cash doing these swaps than it would cost to buy a gas saving car.
If your going to do one of these swaps it should be about the HP gains. I am doing a VQ swap, while Gas mileage gains are a plus, I have to honestly say I do not plan on daily driving the car anymore. I am putting it in for other reasons, like lots of NA HP with it being smog legal!

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #43
redclaw05
Zilvia Member

redclaw05 is a glorious beacon of lightredclaw05 is a glorious beacon of lightredclaw05 is a glorious beacon of lightredclaw05 is a glorious beacon of lightredclaw05 is a glorious beacon of lightredclaw05 is a glorious beacon of lightredclaw05 is a glorious beacon of lightredclaw05 is a glorious beacon of lightredclaw05 is a glorious beacon of lightredclaw05 is a glorious beacon of lightredclaw05 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to redclaw05
i just stay out of boost and my needle does not drop very much. i try to stay at less then 10% throttle as well.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #44
HolyShiznit

HolyShiznit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to HolyShiznit
Worried about gas mileage in the same sentence as doing a swap/power mods = fail.

Just don't mod the car. Or save up your money, buy a cheap little Honda civic to DD and THEN mod your car with whatever gas eating engine you want.

Seriously, if mileage, and premium fuel prices are something you are concerned about in your performance car then you shouldn't be toying with it.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #45
SoguRacing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
SoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SoguRacing
the best swap is no swap at all.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:39 AM   #46
hustlervibes
Banned from the Marketplace

hustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to hustlervibes
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ROMAN View Post
What about an N/A SR? I looked around for mpg figures but couldn't find anything, short of comparing to an SR Sentra. I would assume it'd beat out a KA by quite a bit and they're not too expensive.

BTW fueleconomy.gov lists SOHC KA as 18/24 and DOHC KA as 19/26. SR Sentra is 21/29.
NA SR? What? You'd be better off with the KA. The KA has better numbers than the NA SR, why would you down grade?
hustlervibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #47
The ROMAN
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
The ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to beholdThe ROMAN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm saying for fuel economy. I can't find any real numbers for mpg in SR 240s aside from what people say they get, but I figure a lighter, smaller, newer motor would get better mileage than a heavier, bigger, older motor.

And yes I know the KA what still used until the latest Frontier or something, but that's a truck not a smaller car, so the aim is gonna be sacrificing mpg for extra power. Small trucks don't get the mileage small cars do.

Honestly the easiest thing is to get a civic or something, better mpg, and less worries about stuff like dings and dents.
The ROMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #48
SoguRacing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
SoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SoguRacing
this thread is a waste of time. stick with what you have. it will take several years worth of gas to make up for the cost of doing the swap. You probably will never break even saving 15 cents per gallon mileage wise.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #49
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoguRacing View Post
this thread is a waste of time. stick with what you have. it will take several years worth of gas to make up for the cost of doing the swap. You probably will never break even saving 15 cents per gallon mileage wise.
Sad but true. Either maintain what you have or sell completely and buy something more fuel efficient.

It's not worth the money for a swap. It will take a very long time to recoup your swap amount in gas savings.

Same analogy applies to hybrids and electric cars. The only benefit to those are less emissions.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #50
upstate240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
upstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
cadillac 500

super fuel sipper
upstate240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #51
markyboi
Zilvia FREAK!

markyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to behold
best swap? swap cars with a more fuel efficient car

done.
markyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #52
juls213
Leaky Injector

juls213 is making a name for him/her selfjuls213 is making a name for him/her selfjuls213 is making a name for him/her self
This thread is retarded. The best tip I can give you is get rid of the 240 and get a scooter. They are great in gas.
juls213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #53
Akiros
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Akiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfectionAkiros is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Akiros
Quote:
Originally Posted by juls213 View Post
This thread is retarded. The best tip I can give you is get rid of the 240 and get a scooter. They are great in gas.
quoted fo mothafuckin tr00ph.
Akiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #54
mademedoit
Leaky Injector

mademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymore
A turbocharged engine is always more efficient than na, there's a reason seim trucks are turbo. However there's a bigger range in gas mileage do to having bigger injectors. To get better mileage you should also do things like a 1 piece ds and stiffer motor mounts to reduce your drive train loss. Higher gear ratios might help you get better mileage on the freeway but you might have to give it more gas in city driving to get the same acceleration. I noticed a big jump in gas mileage with a manual sr compared to the stock auto ka24de. To answer your question though an ls1 would probably be the best swap for gas mileage.
mademedoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #55
flip3d
Zilvia FREAK!

flip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to flip3d
SR20DET. I drove from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale going 65 all the way. No boosting, shifting at ~2500RPM. Made it there on a little over a quarter tank. Was definitely over 30MPG.

The time before that I went all out. Boosting whenever I had a chance. Took half a tank. 20ish MPG.
flip3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #56
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Make the right choice!!!!
VQ swap and get more torque and HP than a stock KA or SR!!!!!!
Hell you can swap a Q45 diff into the s-chassis and get even better gas mileage with a VQ than a KA and SR.... Lots of torque and displacement are your friend.....
VQ is newer technology, higher compression, and overall more efficient do to it's technology. It will also fit into the S-Chassis with the right mounting......
Old 08-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #57
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
this thread is pointless.......best idea is to gut the car except for a cluster, shifter and a metal fold out chair welded to the bottom. slam it to the ground so its aerodynamic. get real skinny tires. weigh only 100lbs yourself. take out all the windows and put in plexiglass. get all fiberglass body parts. and drive reallly really slow. also make sure its an s13 cuz it weighs like 100lbs less. but yea def make awesome mileage there. so now you can sell all that stuff you took out and put gas in the car (mid grade). or use the money to convert to veggie oil and go to mcd's and get that shit for free.
lazysk8er2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:21 PM   #58
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir View Post
wait for it...
Yeah, isn't any swap going to cost more than the gas you save for 5-10yrs?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #59
upstate240sx
Zilvia Member

upstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really nice
doesnt the 500 in Cadillac 500 mean it gets 500 miles per gallon

or was that 500 feet per gallon?
upstate240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 AM   #60
highly responsive
Leaky Injector

highly responsive is making a name for him/her selfhighly responsive is making a name for him/her self
heh, funny it was said that the best swap is no swap.
the more i have been reading, i can put down more power with my KAE than SR with the right mods. i would also like to not get fucked with when CHP pops my hood (when i go to cali)
highly responsive is offline   Reply With Quote