Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-19-2015, 11:57 PM   #721
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
thats such a stupid modification

simply put, nsx headlights dont fit our cars in any shape, way or form. i bet that those headlights dont function as they are supposed to, in that they cannot be aligned properly, let alone move up and down as intended.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #722
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhregartless View Post
NSX headlights

Today I took the time to share with you morons, why the NSX headlights... simply put, do not fit the S13 headlight buckets. Look at the length of the headlight. Look at the width of the headlight. And more importantly, look at the dimensions of the S13 headlight assembly in the photo I have attached.

Assuming the person butchers the S13 headlight assembly, the NSX headlight would not only be unable to be aligned, it would also be unable to raise up and down.

Great job Zilvia. Keep building cars that suck shit, fucking morons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nsx_headlight.JPG (100.9 KB, 179 views)
Old 10-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #723
Gingersmurf
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Gingersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
Today I took the time to share with you morons, why the NSX headlights... simply put, do not fit the S13 headlight buckets. Look at the length of the headlight. Look at the width of the headlight. And more importantly, look at the dimensions of the S13 headlight assembly in the photo I have attached.

Assuming the person butchers the S13 headlight assembly, the NSX headlight would not only be unable to be aligned, it would also be unable to raise up and down.

Hey, Just calm down for a sec.

Who said these are unable to be raised, lowered, and aligned?
Nothing says the person did not make his own brackets off which he can align with. If the housings have to be slotted/notched to fit the much more rectangular NSX light housings, chances are he didn't RTV them in place. Off what i can see in the photo you provided, the NSX lights are anchored at the four corners of the housings. If the person did a good job on cutting the OEM s13 bucket and perhaps making brackets, they could utilize the four mounting points and have the ability to be completely adjustable. Using the OEM NSX adjustment screws, or even the much more ghetto way of using a screw with a nut on either side of the metal. Seems actually not that hard to make these adjustable, just takes some time and planning.

As for raising and lowering, the photo you provided does not show the length of the NSX lights vrs the Length of the s13 buckets. So while you're talking about dimensions, you missed one of the more crucial dims. So assuming they fit inside the bucket, you would only need to tweak either the motor circuitry to adjust either the duration or speed of the motor (effectively only letting the motor raise the bucket to the appropriate height of the NSX light). Or you could get the pivot headlight motor controller... Very popular with the rx7 crowd from what i can tell... So again, not sure whats so difficult here..

This particular car may not have anything of what i have said, but it would not really be too difficult to do it "correctly". The only thing i don't like about the NSX light on the s13 is the width not being the same, which could also be fixed with a quick fiberglass surrounding, or even something 3d printed if they have access to a printer.

Just my 2c.. i like seeing the originality of some people, not saying it is all good, but people trying new things is neat. Some results are surprisingly good at times. Like the honda odyssey front on the s13, probably was shut down before it was actually done, and it looks pretty neat. It is also his car, and he can do what he wants with it, sorta the benefit of having your name on the title of the car. I say if the owner likes it (it may not to be to your taste) more power to him

Last edited by Gingersmurf; 10-20-2015 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Typos
Gingersmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #724
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersmurf View Post
Who said these are unable to be raised, lowered, and aligned?
Nothing says the person did not make his own brackets off which he can align with. If the...
not only did you not look at the rest of that car, but you forgot what forum you are on

well gentlemen, we can go back and fourth with words. but until someone shows me video of a proper beam pattern and headlight motors in operation - i'm going to say that this is IMPOSSIBLE.

ps: and you're still left with antiquated 90s-era projector headlights. not bad, but certainly much better headlight options out there.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #725
civilized_drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
civilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to civilized_drifter
this is how clear corners keeps busy^
i think it looks good, i agree could be done. But could just get raybrigs
Old 10-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #726
Gingersmurf
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
not only did you not look at the rest of that car, but you forgot what forum you are on

well gentlemen, we can go back and fourth with words. but until someone shows me video of a proper beam pattern and headlight motors in operation - i'm going to say that this is IMPOSSIBLE.

ps: and you're still left with antiquated 90s-era projector headlights. not bad, but certainly much better headlight options out there.
I get what you're saying, wasn't trying to shut you down or anything, but just saying it seems like it could be possible to do it nicely.

Last edited by Gingersmurf; 10-21-2015 at 12:27 PM..
Old 10-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #727
ilia
Zilvia Junkie

ilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to all
Quote:

Old 10-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #728
Gingersmurf
Zilvia Junkie

^ Looks like he is rocky sleepy eye on those NSX lights too! lol
Old 10-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #729
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
That just shows that people who do these kind of mods take short cuts. The owner probably spent $1400 on NSX lights but then was too lazy to retrofit the lamps with modern oem hid projectors. Instead one stuck a shitty chinese 10000k kit in there. If you're going to go through all that effort at least ensure the performance is better than stock flip up lights! I see this with pretty much every high dollar built s-chassis out there. It has an HID kit in the wrong housings or the new big thing- spot light bars.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #730
Bullitt_180sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Bullitt_180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It's weird how many "probably" and "if" statements there are here about my choice of lights.

First, ixfxi, I am disappointed with you. Usually you aren't so quick to post something without some substantial backup information. All I see are opinions and hypothetical situations. Also, if you had actually read the post that you pulled this picture from, it specifically says that mine still pop up and down. It's not hard to do. All it entails is modifying a 6" section of core support right behind the headlights to accommodate for the deeper assembly, then use z31 swing arms and adjustment rods on the motors and viola!, NSX lights that go up and down. They aren't adjustable as of now but I'm still in the middle of the project.

This isn't a road going car, it's just a shell with no engine, drivetrain, or wiring harness. It's a long way from finished. It's just being built as a weekend cruiser. I've converted it to RHD and it still retains all AC, ABS, and HICAS functionality. This will in no way be a track used car.

Second, the NSX lights are clearly better than the OEM lights so I don't understand the problem here. Once I'm done with them, they will look like they are OEM anyway. I think I paid around $380 from a member on here a year or so ago and they came with brand new OEM spec bulbs. A retrofit will be done as soon as I come up with a plan for clear lenses. I'm not retrofitting into fluted lenses, that defeats the whole purpose.....

I'm a 30 year old man with a four year old with autism and a one year old. I have no time for fanboi/ain't care/swaggot/neck beard/mouth breathers/vape cloud/hoonigan bullshit. This is a full on custom restoration that I don't plan to destroy or sell.

Finally, it's my damn car and what I decide to do with it doesn't affect anyone here. I'm glad everyone has their own opinion, but I'm baffled that everyone feels they are entitled enough to just spew that shit out of their faces whenever they get the urge. Most people don't care what others have to say in the first place. I swear sometimes this forum makes me feel the same as when goddamn Jehovah's witnesses knock on my door every damn Sunday trying to feed me information that I didn't ask for.

If you don't like it, suck it and move on.

End of rant.

*EDIT*
Just realized ixfxi quoted someone else's post, he didn't pull the pic himself. I apologize for accusing you of not reading the original post.

Last edited by Bullitt_180sx; 10-21-2015 at 04:19 PM..
Bullitt_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #731
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
That just shows that people who do these kind of mods take short cuts. If you're going to go through all that effort at least ensure the performance is better than stock flip up lights!
we're probably the only 2 on this forum that speak the same language. a good majority of people here dont know the differences, let alone care to be educated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt_180sx View Post
First, ixfxi, I am disappointed with you. Usually you aren't so quick to post something without some substantial backup information. All I see are opinions and hypothetical situations. Also, if you had actually read the post that you pulled this picture from, it specifically says that mine still pop up and down. It's not hard to do. All it entails is modifying a 6" section of core support right behind the headlights to accommodate for the deeper assembly, then use z31 swing arms and adjustment rods on the motors and viola!, NSX lights that go up and down. They aren't adjustable as of now but I'm still in the middle of the project.
sounds cool
Old 10-21-2015, 05:37 PM   #732
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilia View Post

is it just me or did the sidemarker just pop out without even being driven?

and whats the big duct for in the center of the bumper -- looks like some sort of cooler is supposed to go there....
Old 10-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #733
ilia
Zilvia Junkie

ilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to all
Quote:
is it just me or did the sidemarker just pop out without even being driven?

Yea that's how you know it's SICK
Old 10-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #734
ixfxi
Post Whore!

post up an engine bay shot

and some beam pattern shots shined against the wall from 20' back

let us tell YOU how sick it is
Old 10-21-2015, 08:14 PM   #735
Bullitt_180sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Bullitt_180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
post up an engine bay shot

and some beam pattern shots shined against the wall from 20' back

let us tell YOU how sick it is
I'm not sure if that was aimed at me or not, but I've never once said anything about it being SICK or any other synonym of said word. Hell, I didn't even post it in here, you guys are the ones making it a big deal.
Bullitt_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:33 PM   #736
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
these headlights are sweet as fuck

Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #737
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Those look so bad. "Hey let's paint a square reflector black and put a glowing red orb off center in it, it won't look out of place". Guys the only way to make a zenki retrofit look good is to leave it all chrome and use OEM style chrome projector shrouds. Those Japanese dudes use super cheap h1 style retrofit kits from alibaba and just screw them in the H4 bulb hole (which is way off center) so the projector is kind of just resting on the bottom of the reflector. To do a zenki retrofit the right way you have to use the right projectors (rx350, infiniti fx, rx330, s2000, tsx, etc.) and center the projector and re-construct the back of the housing so that the bulb opening matches the new position of the projector. It's a lot of work but the only way to do it "right" (best way is to go with a kouki front conversion).

I'm voting we get this thread back on track and only post mods that make the lighting better. No light bars, no hid kits, and certainly no 10 lumen LED strips stuck inside stock tail lights for use as the brake lights.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #738
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
post an example
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #739
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Sure,

Here are some z32 usdm headlights with acura mdx projectors, philips d2s 85122 bulbs, and matsushita gen4 ballasts. Found on the praxis fab single turbo car.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #740
mikeyee
Leaky Injector

mikeyee is an unknown quantity at this point
Naahhh.

Im for morewhatever content the better. The more ideas and concepts I see, the more my creative juices get going with trying different things. Even if some of the stuff I see is garbage. And Im sure others probably feel the same way too.

This is the definitive light thread, not the "hey lets shit talk this guy for posting his project or pic he posted even though he's contributing and doing his own thing" thread.
mikeyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #741
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Tri-fade zenki lights....
Three different kinds of AIDS all grown together
Old 10-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #742
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
post an example

He made those.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #743
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Here are some z32 usdm headlights with acura mdx projectors, philips d2s 85122 bulbs, and matsushita gen4 ballasts. Found on the praxis fab single turbo car.
i'll see your Z32 retrofit and raise you, here is a pair of Z32 kouki headlights, LHD beam pattern correction with LED parking lights.

these damn lights are getting harder and harder to get...

Quote:
Those look so bad. "Hey let's paint a square reflector black and put a glowing red orb off center in it, it won't look out of place".
you are right, but some people are just clueless and have bad taste. imo, all those generic aftermarket retrofit parts are junk. its either OEM or bust.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #744
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt_180sx View Post
I'm not sure if that was aimed at me or not, but I've never once said anything about it being SICK or any other synonym of said word. Hell, I didn't even post it in here, you guys are the ones making it a big deal.
not aimed at you, aimed at the fish-mouthed white car that appears to be all show and no go.

keep chipping away at your project, i hope that your headlight setup works out for you - i really do. all i was trying to say is that based on my experience, the nsx lights are more trouble than they are worth. but you know, if there's a will there's a way.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #745
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Those are sexy with the led work. I'd pony up for some new kouki lights if I had a z32 for sure but thank God I haven't as that would be a terrible life decision.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #746
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Sure,

looks great!!!! just wish the lens was clear without the lines
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #747
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Those are sexy with the led work. I'd pony up for some new kouki lights if I had a z32 for sure but thank God I haven't as that would be a terrible life decision.
Well, it all depends on how you see it. The way I see it, its a once in a lifetime opportunity to build a car the way you want it. No sense in building a Z32 with high HP and then driving with some antiquated lights. Last thing anyone would want is to run into something at highway speeds. Lets not even talk about medical costs, the cost of headlights is a drop in the bucket.

^ Here is a photo for the fancy S13 owners. They do exist.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #748
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Well, it all depends on how you see it. The way I see it, its a once in a lifetime opportunity to build a car the way you want it. No sense in building a Z32 with high HP and then driving with some antiquated lights. Last thing anyone would want is to run into something at highway speeds. Lets not even talk about medical costs, the cost of headlights is a drop in the bucket.

[img]ShamelessPlug.Jpg[/img]

^ Here is a photo for the fancy S13 owners. They do exist.
Not that what you're saying is untrue, but for fucks sake dude medical costs?

Last edited by KAT-PWR; 10-23-2015 at 08:22 PM..
KAT-PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #749
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
You are preaching to the choir. What I was getting at is I would never own a z32 and let's face it, what z32 is actually being driven and isn't just in a constant state of repair 1 out of 100?
Old 10-24-2015, 02:50 AM   #750
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Not that what you're saying is untrue, but for fucks sake dude medical costs?
you never been in a car accident before? lucky.