Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
mattro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
SR What the fuckkkk!!!!!!!!!!

so im tq'ing my head back on after a LONG and tedious "build" and one of my head bolts WILL NOT TQ DOWN.

and b4 anyone can say it, i followed FSM tq procedure TO THE LETTER.

only when i try to tq to 105 from 70 do i have a problem, (arp tq to 105 in 3 equal steps. 35, 70, 105.)

i swear to god ill part my car out now if somone even utters the word "stripped" remember, it tq's to 70. but not 105. also, all the other nuts have no problem going to 105, just the second from the front exhaust side.
mattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
what do you mean wont tourqe down?

like still spinning? or wont go all the way down?
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
what do you mean wont tourqe down?

like still spinning? or wont go all the way down?
it never gets any more resistance on it after 70ftlbs

so yea. it just keeps spinning.

so that in my mind means the stud is just coming up through the threads in the head.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
zylvia213
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (36)
zylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond reputezylvia213 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to zylvia213
have you unscrewed it out? If you have is it hard when unscrewing? If the thread is stripped on the block then you would automaticly see it on the head bolt cause pieces of the thread itself will end up on the head bolt. I know in some cars theres short and long bolts.... maybe your using one thats too short???? As you are torquing that one bolt does it just spin like freely or is it kinda tight?
zylvia213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylvia213 View Post
have you unscrewed it out? If you have is it hard when unscrewing? If the thread is stripped on the block then you would automaticly see it on the head bolt cause pieces of the thread itself will end up on the head bolt. I know in some cars theres short and long bolts.... maybe your using one thats too short???? As you are torquing that one bolt does it just spin like freely or is it kinda tight?

bolts are all the same length.

ill go unscew it now and post a pic.

like i said, it will tq to 70ft lbs but not to 105. so its tight but not tight enough.

edit. IT WONT COME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im done, i quit.

about to push my 24 to the end of the drive way with a "free" sign on it.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
talk to a machine shop maybe they can helicoil it??
never delt with this problem before
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Old 08-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
talk to a machine shop maybe they can helicoil it??
never delt with this problem before

there arent any within walking distance. i live in rochester, we used to have a bunch. now there all out of business.

and thanks for the help guys. idk what to do now.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
smink
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
smink is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
ARP makes 10mm blot kits and 11mm bolt kits for the head. If it is stripped, which sure sounds like thats the case, you could get the 11mm kit and have your block drilled and tapped for the 11mm's. Which is kinda good, because then you can up the boost with less worries.
smink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smink View Post
ARP makes 10mm blot kits and 11mm bolt kits for the head. If it is stripped, which sure sounds like thats the case, you could get the 11mm kit and have your block drilled and tapped for the 11mm's. Which is kinda good, because then you can up the boost with less worries.
im running stock internals.

so after a bit of man-handling my head off the block. here is what i found,

arp head bolt FAIL

remember i tq'd this one the same as the two middle ones,

here is a pic you wont believe.

as much as i am relieved, i still cant get it out of the block. any ideas?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
4sfed180
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
4sfed180 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4sfed180
to drill and tap it he still has to, at least, pull the head off.

try to take the stud out again. be careful but forceful. maybe thats not the right choice of words but i hope you get it.

good luck and post some pics.

Edit: posted a few secs after you did.

the bolt went into plastic deformation.

i dont thing you can use an allen wrench on top any more. get a stud extractor tool and pull it out.

sent this pictures to ARP and have them send you a new one.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #11
Azimmer
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Azimmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Azimmer
stripped ahahahahaha
Old 08-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

yea i will be doing that, and i figured about the allen lol, im so happy i kept my cool and dint punch somthing. whew, glad thats over.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #13
smink
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
smink is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Wow...ARP for the lose, at least this round.
smink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #14
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Get used to it.. ARP moved production facilities to china about 6 months ago. Alot of racers have found this out.

as for the stud in the block... you'll need this

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94640
Old 08-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimmer View Post
stripped ahahahahaha
your a bum.

and thanks for the link, much appreciated.

WAIT there made in china? the box still says usa.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #16
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
It looks like you did not follow instructions properly or you are using extremely USED equipment
Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #17
username
Zilvia Member

username is an unknown quantity at this point
You could just put 2 nuts on the top set of threads, tighten them together, then use a wrench on the bottom nut to turn the stud out.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:25 AM   #18
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Plasma cutter solves all lifes little problems... Neighbours dog being a dick and won't shut up? Take a plasma cutter to his toe....

I'd be calling up ARP and bitching like a 13 year old school girl who just found out her b/f made out with her 16 year old sister.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #19
Nissan_Power

Nissan_Power is an unknown quantity at this point
so...if ARP cant be trusted no more, what company makes good, reliable studs ???
Nissan_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #20
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
For starters, you're trqing the ARP's way too high. 4 even steps to 80ftlbs on the ARP's. 20-40-60-80, done. 105 is not the right number you need to be going to. There have been multiple people that have done this/gotten the wrong information in their packets and have broke and/or stretched them doing this.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #21
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
You should not be torquing them past 75 ftl ls period... they are studs not bolts, they work differently and better
Old 08-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #22
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
For starters, you're trqing the ARP's way too high. 4 even steps to 80ftlbs on the ARP's. 20-40-60-80, done. 105 is not the right number you need to be going to. There have been multiple people that have done this/gotten the wrong information in their packets and have broke and/or stretched them doing this.
yeah i remember reading those threads, here the instructions that came with my SR ARP's
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 08-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #23
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
It looks like you did not follow instructions properly or you are using extremely USED equipment
wow funny, i followed the instructions to the letter using a brand new tq wrench.

thanks for the insult to my intelligence. not to be a dick but, damn that was pretty dick-y thing for you to say. i may not be as exp'd as you but id like to think that my auto tech teachers passed me and gave me written recommendations for at least being able to follow instructions and being able to tq. properly.

moving on............

and here are the ones that came with my set. they clearly say 105. woa, i can read.

since arp failed (again lol) to respond to my email, im calling them as soon as i get off from work tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
You could just put 2 nuts on the top set of threads, tighten them together, then use a wrench on the bottom nut to turn the stud out.
i thought about that, but chances are i would have to put just as much force on the nut to remove the stud and the problem is that its that its now stretched, and i might just snap it.
besides the stud remover is a 4.99 tool that i dont have. might as well pick one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Power View Post
so...if ARP cant be trusted no more, what company makes good, reliable studs ???
i second this.

Last edited by mattro; 08-05-2009 at 06:54 PM..
Old 08-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #24
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattro View Post
wow funny, i followed the instructions to the letter using a brand new tq wrench.

thanks for the insult to my intelligence. not to be a dick but, damn that was pretty dick-y thing for you to say. i may not be as exp'd as you but id like to think that my auto tech teachers passed me and gave me written recommendations for at least being able to follow instructions and being able to tq. properly.

?????

How was that a dick thing to say?

I have not followed instructions before and I am man enough to admit it...

It's not a big deal, someone, me, is trying to help you pin point the isssue and you obviously either used VERY used ARP studs as fill ins for new parts or you did not follow the very specific install for ARP studs on an SR>

They are very specific and it is very easy to over torque if you miss a step.

Its not as simple as just Torquing it the right way.

1. you have to pre-set them in the head properly with a special lubricant
2. you have to pre-load them into the head with an allen key at just the right torque
3. you have to remove them completely in sequence...
4. you have to install the head flush and properly set it on the deck
5. you have to re install the studs with the allen key at the right torque/turn
6. you have to then install lubricant to your nuts and then put the nuts on in sequence properly
7. Torque the nuts down in sequence properly. You don't need more than 75 ft lbs period. anything over 90 and you will stretch break your studs, which is what you did again, UNLESS they are old equip.

NOW SLOW DOWN ARE YOU SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT MODEL NUMBER FOR BOLTS???

ARP typically reboxes or re-sells Acura Integra units for the SR20 motors. Shops that are not SR specific and do not know this will not advise their cusotmers on the differences of installing thes studs.

Now if you still have 100% right set of ARP studs (which recently they did release a revised set that is specific to the SR with instructions) then something else ie, your torque wrench is not calibrated or you got a Factory defective set might be a possibilty - I know and have done MANY of these installs in a jiffy, so this would have to the key issue

see...and even after you said something very ignorant that made no sense I was still nice enough to lay it all out for you.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #25
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattro View Post

i second this.
anyone who uses english in the following maner "ARP CANT BE TRUSTED NO MORE"

cannot be trusted.

You need to slow down for a second and think logically.

Mazworx makes a far superior stud set but is tripple the price.

It is very possible you got the wrong units, defects or tool failure in you have the exactly right instrucitons.

Something is off though...105 is ALOT, unless they revised the kit from a couple of years ago
Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #26
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
If they were meant to go to 105, I don't think they would stretch like it did Steve. I have never heard of going over 80lbs with ARP's in the SR application.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #27
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
If they were meant to go to 105, I don't think they would stretch like it did Steve. I have never heard of going over 80lbs with ARP's in the SR application.
You are not supposed to torque over 80 ft lbs.

75-80 MAX is what everyone uses who builds SRs for any length of time.

There was a write up on it on Freshalloy in 2002...

Now unless ARP has changed the model they sell for th SR...This could be possible.

I remember about 4 years ago they were still using the LS Acura Integra motor studs which on the SR only needed to be torqued to 75 lbs max because they did not SEAT all the way into the deck of the block/ or thread all the way down 100% into the holes in the deck of the blck. So they handled slightly different tolerances due to this
Old 08-06-2009, 05:01 AM   #28
spartanmisfit
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
spartanmisfit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I had a similar problem with my dsm a few years back. It ended up being that my block was warped.
spartanmisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #29
Nissan_Power

Nissan_Power is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
anyone who uses english in the following maner "ARP CANT BE TRUSTED NO MORE"

cannot be trusted.

Im sorry if english is not my first language....but still, you understood ???
Nissan_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #30
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
?????

How was that a dick thing to say?

I have not followed instructions before and I am man enough to admit it...

It's not a big deal, someone, me, is trying to help you pin point the isssue and you obviously either used VERY used ARP studs as fill ins for new parts or you did not follow the very specific install for ARP studs on an SR>

They are very specific and it is very easy to over torque if you miss a step.

Its not as simple as just Torquing it the right way.

1. you have to pre-set them in the head properly with a special lubricant
2. you have to pre-load them into the head with an allen key at just the right torque
3. you have to remove them completely in sequence...
4. you have to install the head flush and properly set it on the deck
5. you have to re install the studs with the allen key at the right torque/turn
6. you have to then install lubricant to your nuts and then put the nuts on in sequence properly
7. Torque the nuts down in sequence properly. You don't need more than 75 ft lbs period. anything over 90 and you will stretch break your studs, which is what you did again, UNLESS they are old equip.

NOW SLOW DOWN ARE YOU SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT MODEL NUMBER FOR BOLTS???

ARP typically reboxes or re-sells Acura Integra units for the SR20 motors. Shops that are not SR specific and do not know this will not advise their cusotmers on the differences of installing thes studs.

Now if you still have 100% right set of ARP studs (which recently they did release a revised set that is specific to the SR with instructions) then something else ie, your torque wrench is not calibrated or you got a Factory defective set might be a possibilty - I know and have done MANY of these installs in a jiffy, so this would have to the key issue

see...and even after you said something very ignorant that made no sense I was still nice enough to lay it all out for you.

and i appriciate that. and my point was that you sir assumed that i didnt do it properly.

i have the 102-4701 nissan 2.0l de/det dohc bolts.

now. like i said, i did follow the instuctions to the letter, these are "brand new" arp studs and bolts and i was useing a NEW tq wrench, i posted a pic of the instructions literally on my coffee table and they do say "7. Following the manufacturers recommended tq seq tighten the nuts in THREE EQUAL STEPS to 105 ftlbs with arp moly assembly lube."

i think this is just a case of a bad bolt. because if i was tq ing the bolts too much, why didnt the others fail?

and on a seperate not, i have much different instuctions than you do, apperently.

mine actually use the phrase "hand tight"

here are pics of model # and full instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanmisfit View Post
I had a similar problem with my dsm a few years back. It ended up being that my block was warped.
it is a very low mile block, supposedly

EDIT!

just got off the phone with arp.

they HAVE changed the studs. for those of you saying that 105 is too much, you would have been correct a year or so ago. i do have the proper instructions and they sent me a new stud free of charge. (yea stickin it to the man!)

thank you all for your help.

Last edited by mattro; 08-06-2009 at 02:51 PM..