Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
*brett*
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
*brett* is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
300z engine compression test one cylinder very low

#1 cylinder 110 psi
#2 cylinder 160 psi
#3 cylinder 180 psi
#4 cylinder 160 psi
#5 cylinder 180 psi
#6 cylinder 150 psi

I just bought the car it has 194k miles on it. im actually surprised with the pretty good PSI on most cylinders. the engine was apart when i bought it so i never was able to start it. the previous owner said there was an engine knock. im assuming valve tapping since i see thats common with these. would that be a reason cylinder 1 is so low?
*brett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
wabogabo

Trader Rating: (0)
wabogabo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It could be a couple of things, valves might leaking for low compression on cylinder #1. also it might have overheated but the gasket is still holding up somehow which highly doubt it. To determine if the engine has a rod knock, try to rotate the motor by hand from the crankshaft bolt to see if turns 360 degrees. If your having trouble rotating the motor it can be rod knock or seized up.

Good Luck
wabogabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Doesn't matter. You have more than 15/20 psi difference between all cylinders. Strip it naked and rebuild it.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #4
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruked View Post
Doesn't matter. You have more than 15/20 psi difference between all cylinders. Strip it naked and rebuild it.
not necessarily,

was the compression test done cold or warm? had the car been driving prior to this or sitting for a while? it could be a number of things. did pouring a small cap of engine oil in the cylinder make the compression numbers go up or not?

I've seen JDM motors give compression numbers that were all over the place. (90-155 differences) after install and getting driven on / cleared out of the deposits report back with solid numbers. so if you can give us some history on the car and the exact conditions in which you did the compression test we can give you a better answer as to what you can do to properly diagnose your situation.

(951)708-1648 | [email protected]
Juan@Fontananissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
wabogabo

wabogabo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan@Fontananissan View Post
not necessarily,

was the compression test done cold or warm? had the car been driving prior to this or sitting for a while? it could be a number of things. did pouring a small cap of engine oil in the cylinder make the compression numbers go up or not?

I've seen JDM motors give compression numbers that were all over the place. (90-155 differences) after install and getting driven on / cleared out of the deposits report back with solid numbers. so if you can give us some history on the car and the exact conditions in which you did the compression test we can give you a better answer as to what you can do to properly diagnose your situation.

Yeah also you can do a wet compression by putting oil in the spark plug holes, if compression goes up that means the rings are starting to go bad
wabogabo is offline   Reply With Quote