Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-02-2016, 08:21 AM   #1
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Trim it down all cool like so that it fits around the valvecover lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
If you lapped the head/valves to seal with the B series valve, and trimmed the stem to the length you need. AND then machined it to lock onto the spring retainer keepers, THEN it should work haha.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Hmm yeah I assume the outer diameter of the guides is the same between the p11 and p12. So that's a good option.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #4
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
So another P12 difference... The regular DET gasket for the oil pickup is supposed to work, right?

Because the hole on my p12 pickup is actually larger than the gasket hole.

This is the one I have:
Old 08-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #5
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
It shouldn't work since it's smaller. You can get the right gasket for it. The pick up tube is also bigger for the VE's. I'm will to.be it's the same one as the P11 ve.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Alright, just my misunderstanding that I could use a late model DET gasket.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #7
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
https://www.mazworx.com/store/p/95-M...il-Pickup.aspx
curious then what gasket mazworx uses? I ordered this part from them and didn't pay much attention, I just used the gasket they provided.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #8
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
https://www.mazworx.com/store/p/95-M...il-Pickup.aspx
curious then what gasket mazworx uses? I ordered this part from them and didn't pay much attention, I just used the gasket they provided.
The part number is on the page you linked if you select the add gasket option, 15053-31U00
Old 08-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #9
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

To everyone who drops the crossmember or pulls the engine to install VE oil pumps, you can save yourself a few hours by just grinding yourself some extra clearance...

Managed to swap covers/pumps without removing the upper oil pan.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #10
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Getting closer but I have another question I searched for and couldn't find an answer.

Does the P12 CAS hook right up to the DET harness or is the wiring pinout different?

EDIT: Found the answer here:
https://www.taarks.com/Articles.asp?ID=251

I can just use the DET plug.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Well, I found out the hard way that VE pulleys don't work on the DET. Timing lines up fine but the spacing is off for the belts. DEs can use VE pulleys but not DETs. Alternatively, I could convert to the VE/DE water pump pulley and alternator but I'm not going to do that.

How much do I need to machine off the back of the DET pulley? Taarks says 5mm but I think I've also seen 3mm? What's correct? I should have measured the thickness of the Mazworx spacer before I put it in.
EDIT: I asked Mazworx and they said 5mm.

Last edited by LuckyX2; 08-15-2016 at 09:10 PM..
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Well, my dyno was today. Went well, until I started getting what I think was spark blowout around 20psi.

Still, I managed to pull out 404whp and 338ftlbs at only 20psi and 6500rpm. I think that's a pretty good sign that 550-600whp is in there somewhere with 25-30psi and 9k rpm.

Anyway, here's the printout I have that's closest to the 404whp run. I wound up not printing that one amongst scrambling to figure out why spark was cutting out.

The fluctuation is the closed loop boost controller. Never got around to fixing that.

Here's one of my earlier pulls where I was testing just the low lobe so I had the switch point set high at 5k.

Look at that jump in torque when it switches. wow.

Finally, here's a log of the backfires.

You can see AFR is good (12.2) leading into the two lean spikes that were accompanied by backfires so I don't think it was fueling. My guess is spark blowout, I'm gonna check my plugs. Thoughts?

Last edited by LuckyX2; 08-27-2016 at 09:40 PM..
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #13
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
What is your gap set at? I know I started getting spark blow out around the 400mark. I tightened it up to .28 or so from the factory gap and let her eat. Didn't have another issue for the duration. Now if I hit 25-30psi in the car, I may need to tighten it up more but that's down the line a bit.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #14
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Yeahhhh, my critical mistake was not adding gap checking to the pre-dyno checklist, I don't know... I guess I put too much faith in my LS2 coils to spark whatever gap is there.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:04 PM   #15
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hello.

Today I tried to mount the engine but failed:

Silvia RHD S14 shell, S14 SR20DET bottom end, 20VE head, VET rocker cover, Nismo mounts.

There is no room for rocker cover and CAS, due to firewall lip.
Can somebody give me advice? Is it possible to remove this lip? And if it's possible, how should I prevent rusting in this place?
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:41 PM   #16
Busta

Busta is an unknown quantity at this point
That breather fitting should be removed then plugged to have one welded on top of the cover instead. For the cas cover look at PRL motorsports they make a nice cnc cover to help increase clearance at the lip its like 69$. I know p12 cas should clear but there are variables. Probably there is a bigger tranny swap in place? I know on mine with 350z tranny it tilts the engine a bit cause the rear end of the tranny cant go up quite as high as the stock tranny
Busta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:16 AM   #17
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busta View Post
That breather fitting should be removed then plugged to have one welded on top of the cover instead. For the cas cover look at PRL motorsports they make a nice cnc cover to help increase clearance at the lip its like 69$. I know p12 cas should clear but there are variables. Probably there is a bigger tranny swap in place? I know on mine with 350z tranny it tilts the engine a bit cause the rear end of the tranny cant go up quite as high as the stock tranny
Orrrrrr for $40 he could get the Mazworx CNC cover
Old 09-01-2016, 07:02 PM   #18
Busta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
That cover your talkin bout is the cas block off they sell im talking p12 sensor cover look it up. Never seen such a product from Mazworx; btw you work for them bro?
Old 02-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #19
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Do you have a link to the CNC CAS cover?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #20
Busta

[QUOTE=jr_ss;6163380]Do you have a link to the CNC CAS cover?[/QUOTE

The cover Hans is most Likely talking about is to blockoff the cas hole left if you are not running the p12 cas. The only p12 cas plastic cover billet replacement that provides added clearance for the firewall is the PRL motorsports billet cas cover. I had one on hand but sold it to a buddy after changing minds and going hall effect crank/cam. Cant see it listed but see with prl they are xcellent to do business with great prices and products
Old 08-31-2016, 11:15 PM   #21
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Stock manual transmission.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:37 PM   #22
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Someone posted earlier that the nismo mounts move the motor back a little more than stock.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #23
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
Someone posted earlier that the nismo mounts move the motor back a little more than stock.

Thanks for advice.
Today I installed my old stock mounts and BINGO!

Now I'm going to buy drift freaq's mounts. IIRC, they lower engine a bit more.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #24
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Ahh, CAS cover isn't a problem. Clearance is.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #25
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitfire View Post
Ahh, CAS cover isn't a problem. Clearance is.
Well the easiest way to remedy that issue is to delete the CAS and go to a hall effect sensor on the front of the head, of course your tuning software will have to have the capabilities of reading it's output.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #26
TEALSQUEAL
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
TEALSQUEAL is making a name for him/her selfTEALSQUEAL is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Well the easiest way to remedy that issue is to delete the CAS and go to a hall effect sensor on the front of the head, of course your tuning software will have to have the capabilities of reading it's output.
Taarks has an insanely easy and affordable option for the Hall effect sensor. No machinig required. I have it installed on my car and it works great with haltech.
TEALSQUEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #27
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEALSQUEAL View Post
Taarks has an insanely easy and affordable option for the Hall effect sensor. No machinig required. I have it installed on my car and it works great with haltech.
It's a pretty slick setup too. I probably would've went that route had they had theirs available at the time. All bolt on, utilizing a freeze plug in the front of the head, I dig!

How's the car running Dave?
Old 10-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #28
TEALSQUEAL
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
TEALSQUEAL is making a name for him/her selfTEALSQUEAL is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
It's a pretty slick setup too. I probably would've went that route had they had theirs available at the time. All bolt on, utilizing a freeze plug in the front of the head, I dig!

How's the car running Dave?
Running well. Need to finally get it to the dyno. I'm planning to just stop tuning once I 500whp and then back it down to 450whp. Even on just 15lbs. It's a lot of fun. I'm on the fence whether I want to swap the final drive to something lower, or stick with the q45 stock ratio and have a 2nd gear that doesn't end till a little over 80mph.

How's your car doing? I'm honestly thinking I'll sell in the spring and move on to a C6GS.
TEALSQUEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:30 PM   #29
vipergtsr1000hp
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
vipergtsr1000hp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey guys,

I was wondering what turbo manifold can be used on the P12 head? Is it the same as the DET but you have to slot some holes?
vipergtsr1000hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #30
insa

insa is an unknown quantity at this point
Double post, read intake manifold...

Last edited by insa; 11-14-2016 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Double post, read intake manifold...
insa is offline   Reply With Quote