Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
There's things that I can do for very cheap that others can do better and quicker for a higher cost.

For example I can build engines, quite well so I will never pay for someone else to assemble one for me.

On the other hand I have a basic grasp of machining and can create small parts but it takes me multiple tries and time, so I would obviously pay someone to machine my block because the fee is worth the convenience and end result.

With this in mind, wouldn't you say it's quite sensical to say "I could bolt a turbo to my KA (insert any NA engine here), custom fab parts, and spend my time which is worth a dollar amount to accomplish my goal of a turbocharged engine that makes more power, or I could invest a bit more money up front and install the factory turbo variant that literally bolts in (in the example an SR20) and be on my merry way.

I'm all for "built not bought" but converting NA variant to turbo is a pain and requires my time, money, tooling, and many other resources and sometimes it just pays to start with a better platform.

Price out going turbo on a NA 2JZ for example first off you HAVE to buy a standalone, the factory ECU can not be flashed that's $2,000 right off the bat, then add a turbo, an ignition system, a transmission to hold the power since the W58 won't hold it for sure and you're well over the cost of a 2JZGTE.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
There's things that I can do for very cheap that others can do better and quicker for a higher cost.
time, money
Price

That about sums it up. You're asking why people do the things they do, and unfortunately the answer is up to those specific people.

I've always had KA engines, about 9 of them.

3 of which I turbo'd.

Had I been a Z guy, I would not have turbo'd an NA engine, there simply is not enough money and time flowing through my hands to do that. I also would not have had the time/money to afford 9 of those.

Also there is a major difference in building an engine, and replacing blown up parts on an engine. Half of the people doing engine refreshing are not going inside of it, as the either don't possess the knowledge to do so, or don't believe in themselves enough to do so unfortunately.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote