Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #1
chris101
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
chris101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$10 Chinese Steering wheel Hub adapters - reviews anyone?

Anyone make use of the ebay $10 steering wheel hub adapter for 240sx such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-STEERING...992894&vxp=mtr

Any reviews on it?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2014, 05:55 AM   #2
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
go for it. $10 is obviously enough money to spend on something that secures what keeps you in control of a vehicle.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 06-23-2014, 06:09 AM   #3
chris101
Zilvia Junkie

^ gotta love the negativity from people who have never tried one. It reminds me of all the naysayers on the cheap chinese knockoff exhaust header that was $100 instead of $600 (people expected engines to blow up because of how cheap it was in the beginning)

406 sold in that listing alone and I couldn't see a single negative review on the ebay feedback.

Anyway, when I google searched on it, the only 'negative' generalization I found was that it is 'solid' just like the much more expensive NRG hub meant for race applications vs. the $80 MOMO version which is reported to have been designed to have a crush or crumple ability in a crash (do not know if this is true or just someone speculating to justify his spending $80 on a name brand MOMO hub adapter vs. NRG or $10 Chinese knock-off)
Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
chris101
Zilvia Junkie

^ So how didn't it work? Please be more specific. At this point, with this negativity, I doubt people who own one will even want to admit to it.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
DreamN
Post Whore!

DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
jackass... go buy your $10 hub.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...ink-again.html

Quick google search. Didn't even really try to search for more since I don't care enough. If you want to run something that's obviously cheap and probable to fail go for it.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #6
chris101
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jfd3 View Post
u know what a hub adapter does? it didn't do it
At this point, I have my doubts that you ever purchased or tried this otherwise you would easily be able to tell me how it was inferior or failed. (heck, if I bought something that failed and someone asked for a review, I'd probably show photos to demonstrate exactly how it was inferior or failed)

406 reviews purchases yet I couldn't find a single negative feedback review on ebay from that seller on that specific product. Go figure.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
tk7294

tk7294 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had a couple of these. The materials used aren't the best. The splines start to wear down after a while. I never had "catastrophic" failure using this product. I used one on my Corolla for about two years and after taking if off an on a few times the fitment wasn't as tight as it was when new. You could use this if you need something right away or in a tight budget, but I would buy something a little more quality like NRG or whatever. Good luck, hope I helped.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
DreamN
Post Whore!

Quote:
good post DreamN i bet it only took you 2 minutes to find that....someone plz ban chris for not reading forum rules and being an idiot...now i bet after seeing this it puts those "406 reviews with no negativity" to shame...right?

go blow yourself tool
Dude, get off my nuts. Ban him? lol

Blah... in all seriousness though. Think about how often you buy something fro eBay and how quickly you actually post a follow up review? You get it, you open the box to see everything is there and typically positive feedback is given even before you put the damn thing on sometimes.

If you search forums there are actually countless of reviews on these. They've been around almost as long as you've been a member here.

Very thin and soft metal. Cheap thin gauged wire that rips off easily. Seriously, $60-$80 on a Momo hub is worth it. That's pretty cheap too if you think about it.

Complaints on a header are totally different from a hub. This shit can literally break on you. A header cracking or not fitting properly isn't life threatening.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
DreamN
Post Whore!

Quote:
get off your nuts? keep DreamN fag
quoted for proof.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 06-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #10
chris101
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
jackass... go buy your $10 hub.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...ink-again.html

Quick google search. Didn't even really try to search for more since I don't care enough. If you want to run something that's obviously cheap and probable to fail go for it.
What's with all the hostility? Thanks for showing that but If I was into 'drifting' I would probably not risk it either with how intensively the steering wheel is used in that application. 'Drifters' break many other things that never fail in a daily driver too.

Anyway, I doubt many would even admit having 1 of these BOSS adapters at this point.

Interesting there isn't as many negative reviews in other applications it seems:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/STEER....html#feedback

Other ironic thing is one of these same 'cheap' boss hub adapters is in our roadrace car (came with the car when we purchased it a year ago) I guess its time to inspect and see if anything looks 'stressed' after 6 years and 10k of roadrace use... lol
Old 06-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #11
chris101
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk7294 View Post
I have had a couple of these. The materials used aren't the best. The splines start to wear down after a while. I never had "catastrophic" failure using this product. I used one on my Corolla for about two years and after taking if off an on a few times the fitment wasn't as tight as it was when new. You could use this if you need something right away or in a tight budget, but I would buy something a little more quality like NRG or whatever. Good luck, hope I helped.

Thank you for taking time to respond. Much appreciated.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #12
DreamN
Post Whore!

I'm apparently a little bitch so that's the reason for the hostility. lol

It's how I would talk to you if I were face to face. Not much hostility, but simple breaking your balls for considering something so cheap.

Again, your looking at reviews that are simply "Yay, I got it" rather than actually knowing whether that piece is poorly designed or not.

If your roadrace car did indeed come with one of these eBay hubs installed I would consider the drive quite lucky. Though if it just looks like it, it could have easily been a real Works Bell Boss hub as that's what these are replicas of.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #13
economix
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
economix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have a Boss adapter, totally works just fine. I SCCA Autocross mine, so it's true track tested and working just fine. No slop in it (yet). Could it have a laser etched brand logo? Sure. Does it do everything else the other one does? Yup. No complaints yet. If folks don't like that you bought a knock off part, fuck 'em, it's your car, do as you see fit. I haven't died yet with mine (hoping that statement doesn't turn ironic next race).
Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #14
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Chris, shame on your for coming to Zilvia for anything apart from comedic value. You should know better

I am personally not a fan of more cheap products, but Zilvians have a way of being computer desk jockies instead of just simply
1) not answering since they have no first time experience
2) Point you in the direction of a "review"

Both without being simply behaving disrespecful about it...............Typical Zilvia.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #15
chris101
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
So you already had this hub for 6 years and 10k of roadrace yet youre asking this forum and reading other reviews on it when u can make your own review...chris i think u have a disability
Do personal attacks make you feel better about yourself?

I wanted to hear from others on their experiences. What is so terrible about that?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #16
chris101
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by economix View Post
I have a Boss adapter, totally works just fine. I SCCA Autocross mine, so it's true track tested and working just fine. No slop in it (yet). Could it have a laser etched brand logo? Sure. Does it do everything else the other one does? Yup. No complaints yet. If folks don't like that you bought a knock off part, fuck 'em, it's your car, do as you see fit. I haven't died yet with mine (hoping that statement doesn't turn ironic next race).
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Chris, shame on your for coming to Zilvia for anything apart from comedic value. You should know better

I am personally not a fan of more cheap products, but Zilvians have a way of being computer desk jockies instead of just simply
1) not answering since they have no first time experience
2) Point you in the direction of a "review"

Both without being simply behaving disrespecful about it...............Typical Zilvia.
Yes, I remember the hostility from when I sold my former 240sx too. (why I don't hang around here all that much.)
Old 06-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #17
DreamN
Post Whore!

Who's to say I never had one? Hell, I had two. The first one I bought and the wires ripped out while cruising around. Noticed when I didn't have a horn. Took it off and it would wobble just ever so slightly. I tossed it. Ordered a Momo.

Friend bought one, Dalaz_68, and his from the get go wobbled on his car. Steering wheel literally chattered while driving. Seriously unsafe to drive. He ended up giving it to me as I need something so that I could steer a shell at the time.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 06-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #18
DreamN
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by economix View Post
you bought a HKB Boss hub or a Works Bell Boss hub? There is a difference.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #19
economix
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
economix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
you bought a HKB Boss hub or a Works Bell Boss hub? There is a difference.
HKB. Works great, no slop.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #20
DreamN
Post Whore!

Guess you lucked out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #21
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I've used several of them on different cars over the years. They're pretty hit or miss, on some the turnsignal cancel and horn work perfectly, others not so much. The standard ones like posted above are perfectly safe and hold up fine to abuse (I use my car for scca sponsored FAT and drifting) in fact a lot of local spec miata and spec 7 guys around here use them on their race cars and I've never seen one fail. Its the eBay quick release hubs that are downright dangerous and should be avoided like the plague...
Old 06-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #22
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustys14 View Post
I've used several of them on different cars over the years. They're pretty hit or miss, on some the turnsignal cancel and horn work perfectly, others not so much. The standard ones like posted above are perfectly safe and hold up fine to abuse (I use my car for scca sponsored FAT and drifting) in fact a lot of local spec miata and spec 7 guys around here use them on their race cars and I've never seen one fail. Its the eBay quick release hubs that are downright dangerous and should be avoided like the plague...

Don't show DreamN a proper review............He may call you an idiot for having somewhat of a intellectual discussion!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #23
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Im gonna go ahead and lock this thread as Im tired of seeing it reported by users!

The moral of the story is, if you cant afford to spend more than $10 on a steering wheel hub, you probably shouldnt be modding a car to begin (especially in that safety based products are something you really shouldnt skimp on).

Buy a Boss or Momo hub for $65 and do it right the first time!

THREAD LOCKED!!!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
Closed Thread