Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
xs042lol
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
xs042lol is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tricks you guys use

so, i think its time we have a little small tricks up our sleeves thread going on. help each other out maybe?

this is like small stuff you guys (and gals) do to make life a bit easier to work on our 240's

one i can think of now. old leather belt wrapped around an oil filter = easy way to get it off with nice grip
xs042lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
saleaf
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
saleaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
my ... since im cheep. i dont have a low profile jack or low profile ramps. i built a ramp out of 2x6 pieces of wood to get my car up about 6 in. easier access..
Old 06-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
when... putting on stock shocks unbolt the rear sway bar

installing kouki wings make a cardboard cut out of the base and then tape it on the trunk to drill your holes

vice grips for removing fuel injectors on ka if flat head won't pop it out
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Great thread idea, i'm eager to see some posts in here. Unfortunately I don't have any tricks yet.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
gerson408
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
gerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i go over a small brick so i can fit a jack under.
gerson408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
The Hamsterball
Zilvia Member

The Hamsterball is making a name for him/her selfThe Hamsterball is making a name for him/her self
don't change your spark plugs when your engine is completely cold.. (like when your car has been sitting without a start up for a couple of hours).

i thought metal expands as temperature decreases, so i was thinking wrong when i changed mine LOL.

this might be common sense, but not for everybody!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:37 AM   #7
Renelovesnike
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (30)
Renelovesnike is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
floor jack bar as a breaker bar... IT DOES WONDERS!!!
Renelovesnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Zip ties to replace every bolt holding your Fenders, bumper and any other exterior pieces...
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renelovesnike View Post
floor jack bar as a breaker bar... IT DOES WONDERS!!!
Also works great for rolling/pulling fenders.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:23 AM   #10
apex
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
apex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post
Zip ties to replace every bolt holding your Fenders, bumper and any other exterior pieces...
this=stupid, zip ties get brittle in the sun esp. black ones so when ur on the freeway and a hard wind hits oh later bumper seeya fender

if u try this use the big white ones not black
Old 06-21-2010, 04:22 AM   #11
J3123MY
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
J3123MY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Use a metal pipe to extend a breaker bar to generate more torque if you don't have a pneumatic impact wrench. My friend saved my ass with this when we used this method to remove the flywheel bolts.
J3123MY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:50 AM   #12
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
- unbolt the battery when doing electrical work

Quote:
Well i have a 95 240 and i like my cars low... But my parents don't like my wheels tilted
Old 06-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #13
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
Whatever that thing is you were trying to avoid doing to get to a part (lifting the motor, taking out the dash, taking off the exhaust) just do that first.

It will save you like an hours worth of bruises and knuckle gashes.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
^^YESSS because in the end, you're going to take that shit out anyways.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Sterlz
Zilvia Member

Sterlz is an unknown quantity at this point
if you have an s13 try not to jack it from the jack points, try a corner of a subframe or rad support
Sterlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #16
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlz View Post
if you have an s13 try not to jack it from the jack points, try a corner of a subframe or rad support
Don't jack a car up from the radiator support.

Jack it up from the crossmember, subframe, diff, or tow hook.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #17
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlz View Post

NO....do not try and lift car from the the lower Radiator support....it will bend....use cross member or tow hooks for the front....and diff for the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #18
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
if you dont have an impact gun and need to remove a flywheel (whether motor is in or out of the car)

withe trans removed and clutch press plate removed...take an upper trans bolt and re install into blockon the side..reinstall on of the press plate bolts to the FW...

jamb an extension bar or breaker bar (something long enough, strong enough, and thin enough) that can be jamb between the 2 bolts to keep the FW from freespinning...and break tension

PB blaster of WD-40 ur shit prior...

this method can work with either one person doing the work...but 2 is best...

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #19
240sxvaj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
240sxvaj is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Have an extra person with you at all times no matter what your doing even if its under the hood only because the hood might just fall on you lol!
240sxvaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #20
94spitfire91
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
94spitfire91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Have the scissor jack that came with the car handy.. it just barely fits under the car while my other jacks do not because of how low the coilovers keep my car at.
94spitfire91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #21
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
Double box end breaker....
Old 06-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #22
Psychomoongoose
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Psychomoongoose is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
eeeewww is that a booger?
Psychomoongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #23
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPimpFlex View Post
Double box end breaker....
^This is pro, I use it all the time. Just don't do it with your pretty Snap-On's. reason 101 to keep around a good set of "China" box wrenches

WD-40 for removing sticker goo... Works like a champ.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #24
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
bllabong89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
buy liquid wrench.

I used it on my suspension parts and it made a huge difference. I got it from the dollar store for 2.50 or something. just spray a little, let it soak in for a minute and start wrenching
bllabong89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #25
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bllabong89 View Post
buy liquid wrench.

I used it on my suspension parts and it made a huge difference. I got it from the dollar store for 2.50 or something. just spray a little, let it soak in for a minute and start wrenching
PB Blaster is the shit for this. break anything loose....almost

i like this thread
Old 06-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #26
murda-c
Post Whore!

murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
Anti seize everything!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #27
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Filling/bleeding radiator……this works great…esp if it is a PITA to jack up the front of your car…

Take a water bottle like a 20oz one….cut to bottom off…remove the cap and tape up the neck..(the area wit threads on it) with electric tape..just enough so that u can put it in the radiator and make a nice tight seal (very important). Use that to fill radiator…keep bottle half full of coolant/water….as long as u keep the bottle half full it will be the highest point in the system and will allow air to come out…plus u will see the bubbles and know when there is no more air in the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #28
heavenboundkevin
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
heavenboundkevin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
dont waste money on a spark plug removing socket. use the wire/boot. i thought i was SOL cause i didnt have one and my dad schooled me by saying that.
heavenboundkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #29
E-Warrior
BANNED

E-Warrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysk8er2 View Post
- unbolt the battery when doing electrical work

I laughed.
E-Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #30
XxCAPTAINxX
Zilvia Member

XxCAPTAINxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by japslapsilvia View Post
Filling/bleeding radiator……this works great…esp if it is a PITA to jack up the front of your car…

Take a water bottle like a 20oz one….cut to bottom off…remove the cap and tape up the neck..(the area wit threads on it) with electric tape..just enough so that u can put it in the radiator and make a nice tight seal (very important). Use that to fill radiator…keep bottle half full of coolant/water….as long as u keep the bottle half full it will be the highest point in the system and will allow air to come out…plus u will see the bubbles and know when there is no more air in the system.
damn thats a good one i'll remember that.
i use a nickle to cover up my antenna hole on my coupe. doesnt leak either.
XxCAPTAINxX is offline   Reply With Quote