Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-03-2005, 03:48 AM   #1
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing Tomei LSD 101

95 240sx se 154k miles.
1st. Jack the car up.. My car was too low to go over the lift so I had to place a 2x4, and then use the lift.

Well..this is where it really begins.
1. Drain fluid, drain all then replace drain plug.

2. Unbolt drive shaft. Then unbolt output shafts.

3. Unbolt front 2 lower 17mm bolts, rear 19mm bolts, and ground wire. then remove carrier. Oh yeah.. I unbolted the sway bar brackets and one endlink to get it out of the way. i used a transmission jack to hold the diff in place.

4. Remove carrier, place on the ground..or in a bucket and unbolt the diff cover..I stole the bucket Idea from someone..but I can't remember who he is..sorry guy.

5. Remove the 17mm bolts holding the bearings in place, be SURE to take note of where your SHIMS go.. I F'd up on this..and was pondring for an how why the FAWK would the pinion gear not be solid with the ring gear.. then it came to me that I f'd up on shims placement. Luckilly, I didn't install it..and figure it out the hard way. It's difficult to remove, so you should pry it out. Don't worry, you wont break it with force. So remove diff.

The output shafts will just pop out with a soft to medium tap with a mallet.
6. Tomei doesn't come with pressed bearings.. So if you have access to a press.. then place bearing on tomei unit, put a flat piece of metal on it, and press press press.. do this to both sides.

7. now go do the opposite ove 1-5.

8. Pour in oil, drive in a figure 8 for 30 min. All that clunkin papapapapakkakaakakratataktaka is just the clutch plates engaging.

forgot t omention somehwere up there..before Installign the diff onto the car, make sure you remove the seals that go on the side of the diff/carrier, and reinstalling the new ones by placing the old ones on the new ones and tapping it in with a hammer. TO remove the seals, use a screw driver and pry it out. Careful not to marr the area where the seal sits, and inside of the seal wher ethe output shafts go on.

Too tired and it got too late for us to change the oil, so I'll do it tomorrow if I'm not tired.

hope you guys liked.
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2005, 04:29 AM   #2
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
SWEET i see you got the MOTUL brake fluid how much was that??????? nice i wonder what it feels like when u wet down the pavements doin figure 8's at full throttle... think youd hit the Gspots? big ups V i see ur car turning into a mean LADY.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:31 AM   #3
sw20>>s14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
sw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sw20>>s14
not knowledgable enough to add or critique. so...nice, very helpful.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:37 AM   #4
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
brake fluid was $15 from auto RnD..bu tit's not enough to do a while brake system..wtf mate.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:38 AM   #5
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Nice writeup, Smaug Tech.
The only thing I didn't see mentioned was the necessity to measure backlash and all that horseshit.
However, I've got many friends who've just slapped the diff in and called it a day with no ill effects...
I paid to have mine installed, just because I didn't want to be the one to fuck it up.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:39 AM   #6
kingsol
Zilvia FREAK!

kingsol will become famous soon enoughkingsol will become famous soon enoughkingsol will become famous soon enoughkingsol will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to kingsol
i bet the install was so easy with a lift and tranny jack... all i had was jackstands and two crappy jacks. you'll love the new diff. which oil are you going to use when you replace it? remember not to use syn and use a friction modifer.

There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better for worse as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till.
-Emerson
kingsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:44 AM   #7
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Sorry failed to mentioned that.

For the tomei/kaaz unit,m the backlash is same as OEM. So you use the OEM spacers to fit the new unit. My friend and I spent a WHOLE FRIGGIN OUT bitchin at why the pinion gear wouldn't engage the ring gear off the car. Figured this would cause a shitload of problems if it was completely installed. So I took a light to see the pinion gear, and it looked like it needed the exact same amount of shims that was on the other side of the axle. So We swapped that out..and taDIzzle. No more play, perfect engagement. Which turned out to a perfect Install.. We f'd up for about an hour.. Took about 3 hours to install..30min to drive.. so 3.5. This was my first time R&Ring a Diff(remove and replace). Awesome, the chatter is like friggin music..bhahaha

So yeah driving home.. I found it awkard that making the slightest movment in steering would make the diff rat-atat-tat. Hopefully draining and replacing the fluid will rid some of the noise. Right now the beater oil is some stuff my dad has in a 20gal barrel. Didn't wanna use the tomei oil.. cause it's too pretty to just be used and disposed.

Kingsol, thanks for the tip. Yeah.... it's easier to do things on a lift.. and I do give you guys who work in your garage/driveway/sidewalk major props. I replaced this girl I was "seeing" brother's clutch on the street.. man.. it was difficult but we got it done.

Oil.. Imma see if the cheap stuff works..cause we have a ton of it.. If it is the suck.. I'll gradually move up to what I feel will meet my needs. The fill bolt is such a bish to get to though..that's pretty much why I didn't drain it out tonight.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
drftwerks
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
drftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drftwerks Send a message via MSN to drftwerks
so you didnt bother to check out the pattern, for the ring/pinion, pinion preloead, new bearing for the carrier?

i guess thats one way to do it.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:14 PM   #9
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Which bearings are you talking about? The tomei LSD comes with new bearings.. I posted a pic of them being pressed in.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #10
supportTHEezln
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
supportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to supportTHEezln
When I installed the Tomei, I basically just "slapped it in", similar to this thread, and I did check the pattern etc etc, and everything was exactly the same as oem. I had heard that it would be, but I checked anyways. And I also use buckets for diffs, and a trans jack.
supportTHEezln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
Marcus
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Marcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Just picked up one of these diffs about two hours ago and beginning install. So the backlash is the same as OEM? Just put the spacers back in the same place and its good?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
s13drob
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
s13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
good info... glad theres people out there willing to take pix and a write it up. thanx. we all appreciate it
s13drob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Just picked up one of these diffs about two hours ago and beginning install. So the backlash is the same as OEM? Just put the spacers back in the same place and its good?
Wow. busting open old ass threads.

NO. You can't just put the same amount of shims in. You need to get some dye and a feeler guage to set the mesh.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
Marcus
Nissanaholic!

Marcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfection
I know this thread is really old but any help would be great. thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #15
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
The help lies in my post if you read the whole thing...
Old 03-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #16
sleepy_s13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
sleepy_s13 is a splendid one to beholdsleepy_s13 is a splendid one to beholdsleepy_s13 is a splendid one to beholdsleepy_s13 is a splendid one to beholdsleepy_s13 is a splendid one to beholdsleepy_s13 is a splendid one to beholdsleepy_s13 is a splendid one to beholdsleepy_s13 is a splendid one to beholdsleepy_s13 is a splendid one to beholdsleepy_s13 is a splendid one to beholdsleepy_s13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I put the same amout of shims in mine and it works fine
Old 03-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Wow. busting open old ass threads.

NO. You can't just put the same amount of shims in. You need to get some dye and a feeler guage to set the mesh.

aCtUaLLy, I rEuSed my olD shImz.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #18
Marcus
Nissanaholic!

thanks for the help...and btw, before you bust my ass for opening an old ass thread, i took the time to f*ckin look for it before askin AGAIN
Old 03-02-2008, 03:02 AM   #19
!Zar!
Post Whore!

I'm still right. =)
Old 03-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #20
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
I'm still right. =)

I've installed 2 Kaaz diffs, and 1 Tomei diff. Perfect results 3 of 3 times, and many many other guys have done this as well.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #21
TRUENOCOUPE
Nissanaholic!

TRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymoreTRUENOCOUPE is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via AIM to TRUENOCOUPE
This EDU is so funny on so many levels.
TRUENOCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:00 AM   #22
ma52a

ma52a has a little shameless behavior in the past
so0o happie

im glad i found this thread. I have been putting off installing my tomei 1.5

I tried to create a thread but im new here so my post was not approved yet/at all.

i will order some solid diff bushings and perhaps subframe bushings to install while im under my car already and have it apart.

double handling big jobs like this is not fun, double handling this job because you broke something due to negligence just makes it worse.
ma52a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #23
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I thought was funny my personal feel for doing my diff was spot on...set it, took to uncles to measure lash etc. took ~2 hours for me to do by feel and we spent ~6 hours measuring to come to same settings...incorrect can cause premature wear on bearings and/or gear teeth and sometimes the lock clutches too...easy way to check is to run some bearing grease on the teeth of the pumpkin gear and run it around...should be even transfer on the pinion gear...if its not adjust shims on either side to correct...if its bent get a new gear...haven't personally done a pinion gear bearing but I cant imagine it being any rougher lol
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #24
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
in my experience, the last is always correct unless you're changing pinion gear or bearing.

every time I've taken a stock diff and installed an aftermarket LSD, the lash has always been correct.

now, is it good practice to paint it and check the lash? ABSOLUTELY.

but, ive replaced a number of stock s13/14 diffs with aftermarket LSD and the lash has always been spot on.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote