Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
90S13Pilot
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (10)
90S13Pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Would You Rather...

I just picked up my 240 that has a seized sr20 and am debating either buying a "fresh" rebuild from the marketplace, or just ordering all the parts for a rebuild and having a machine shop locally do it. It seems like a lot of risk getting a build from someone and not knowing if it works until you start it... if it starts.

So would you rather

A. Buy a rebuild from someone in the marketplace that has a lot of money put into it.

B. Build your own from scratch so you know everything has been done correctly and have peace of mind.
90S13Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
If you have to ask, sell the 240 & seized SR, get a Camry/Civic, and be happy with your choice.
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
90S13Pilot
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
If you have to ask, sell the 240 & seized SR, get a Camry/Civic, and be happy with your choice.

I've already got a daily driver. It's a little more fun then those.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90S13Pilot View Post
I've already got a daily driver. It's a little more fun then those.
Its "Than*"

And cool story bro, if you have to ask a bunch of people how to get your car running again, you probably shouldn't be modding one.

The obvious answer would be to rebuild your SR. If you hadn't noticed, there are a lot of shitty cars in the S-Chassis community. You want to have their ziptie bullshit in your car?
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Why are you asking us? You know what budget you have and the obvious choice is number 2. You know what's replaced and you know what the motor can handle versus expecting someone to tell you every detail and be honest with a motor. That's rare these days.

Just use common sense before you post.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Tle1993
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Tle1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dam now i know why alot of people are completely pissed about threads on here after seeing this one lol

but to answer the questions BUID IT YOURSELF! DERPPP
Tle1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
+1 on rebuilding one yourself unless you find a rebuilt one thats still new. I sold my fully rebuild motor with 0 miles on it since I changed direction with the car once again. I had a spec sheet for everything that was done so the buyer was confident with the build quality.

GL
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Orion SImm

Orion SImm is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep the 240. You don't want to be a same ol suzy with another Honda. They're both big on risks. I feel like buying the engine already built is a higher risk. If you have the time and money, just do the rebuild. If it doesnt work, hopefully the shop will fix it!
Orion SImm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
chuki.s13.coupe.
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
chuki.s13.coupe. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion SImm View Post
Keep the 240. You don't want to be a same ol suzy with another Honda. They're both big on risks. I feel like buying the engine already built is a higher risk. If you have the time and money, just do the rebuild. If it doesnt work, hopefully the shop will fix it!
240s' are the new civic...
chuki.s13.coupe. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
90S13Pilot
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
+1 on rebuilding one yourself unless you find a rebuilt one thats still new. I sold my fully rebuild motor with 0 miles on it since I changed direction with the car once again. I had a spec sheet for everything that was done so the buyer was confident with the build quality.

GL

I've found a few 0 mile rebuilds that are new... but you still just dont know if things were done right.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
Orion SImm

Orion SImm is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuki.s13.coupe. View Post
Don't get me wrong, honda's/integra's are really great cars. It's just that every teeny bopper wants to have them and try to think highly of them self.
Orion SImm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion SImm View Post
It's just that every teeny bopper wants to have them and try to think highly of them self.
Same thing applies to the s-chassis nowadays.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
TougeSR20Kid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
TougeSR20Kid has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^Agreed

Well the answer to your question op is dependent on what type of person you are. I don't know how this is even a question, a true car guy would build it themselves. Personally I would opt to rebuild the existing motor cus then I could set it up exactly how I want it to be with the parts I want, not to mention the joy and fulfillment one gets from building their own motor... But if you don't have the time / know how nor want to build it then I guess your stuck with option 2
Namaste mother f**ker
TougeSR20Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
I've found a few 0 mile rebuilds that are new... but you still just dont know if things were done right.
Well, then, why don't you pick one of them up, tear the whole engine back down, inspect/measure everything to make sure its to spec, put everything back together, toss it into the car. Not exactly rocket science...plus it would save you some money if you do it from scratch.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
90S13Pilot
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Well, then, why don't you pick one of them up, tear the whole engine back down, inspect/measure everything to make sure its to spec, put everything back together, toss it into the car. Not exactly rocket science...plus it would save you some money if you do it from scratch.
That is actually a good idea. However if the block was machined wrong that would suck.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #16
beanzphour
Leaky Injector

beanzphour is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to beanzphour
Quote:
I just picked up my 240 that has a seized sr20 and am debating either buying a "fresh" rebuild from the marketplace, or just ordering all the parts for a rebuild and having a machine shop locally do it. It seems like a lot of risk getting a build from someone and not knowing if it works until you start it... if it starts.

So would you rather

A. Buy a rebuild from someone in the marketplace that has a lot of money put into it.

B. Build your own from scratch so you know everything has been done correctly and have peace of mind.

option two is the right answer but since you are here asking this question on zilvia i take it you don't know what your doing so i recommend you sell the car and motor for as much as you can get, then go down to your nearest scion dealership and get you one of those new fr-s with a good warranty plan. so you dont have to worry about motor issue for a while and call it a day.THAT WAY YOU WONT FEEL AS BAD WHEN YOUS SEE A SEXY AS 240 ROLL BY YOU AT THE LIGHT. you can still brag to your friends about your drifting skill and look forward to upgrades you purchase online, with a piece of mind knowing that your still in the import world but just not a Honda.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

NoPistons! is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuki.s13.coupe. View Post
They're a very popular tuning platform. I hate that comparison though because it's true to a point. =( I love s-chassis. Hondas are cool. I hate people more than the cars. Not the cars fault at all.

I say rebuild your engine. YOu can get sr short blocks, heads....etc. There is a used market. HUGE aftermarket. Do all the work yourself so if it does blow up it's YOUR fault. I never take anyones word for shit now unless it's on notarized paperwork. Used is a dice roll. It's a tough game.

EDIT: If you require machine work, be THOROUGH with your homework. I can't stress this part enough. A bad shop, even if you build everything yourself and have all the right shit can cost you your entire motor or they can just rape you with a bill you weren't expecting. COVER YOUR ASS. All the time. Even while sleeping.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #18
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
someone start the Official "What do you suggest/what should I do" thread and get it sticky'd. Damn threads are spreading like Hiv in a swingers club.
EnemyS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
Piggy
Zilvia Junkie

Piggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
Its "Than*"
It's "it's*"

That is all.
Piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
KOUKIboy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
KOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyS15 View Post
someone start the Official "What do you suggest/what should I do" thread and get it sticky'd. Damn threads are spreading like Hiv in a swingers club.
Hahaha so true!!!!! But OP the obvious choice is B!!!! because when you build it, you know what goes into it, what has been done to it etc, if you make a mistake is yours not the other persons.....
Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #21
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Just rebuild yours bro. Idk what the cost of a good rebuild is, but used unknown mileage sr go for 1800$ plus the rebuild sooo
Old 07-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #22
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Sorry that's like asking would you rather have a g/f that has been around the block and you don't know her previous history or have a girl that is virgin and clean and you know exactly what's she's done.

Your $$$ why risk the unknown.
eek is offline   Reply With Quote