Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 AM   #1
jordang328is

Trader Rating: (0)
jordang328is is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Serious opinions wanted on possible platform change.

Hello everyone, I am in a situation where I am deciding between sticking with my current platform, an S13 single cam hatch, to drift, or changing to my former DD, and current extra car, an E36 328is. I don't mean for this to be an E36 vs. S13 thread, as that has been done to death, but rather opinions from people who have drifted one or both chassis and can provide insight given my personal scenario. My main concerns are cost to maintain/run/repair vs. current market value of each car, as I will be selling one of them. A little more background; I just bought a brand new Mustang GT, so no issues as far as needing a DD or the drift car being semi-practical. So here it is. The S13 has 200k, PO said he rebuilt the top end, has Tien coils that feel tired, and I have done: Brand new reman steering rack, poly bushings, arms all around, welded, aluminum subframe bushings, and other general maintenance items. E36 is bone stock, but all common E36 problems (Bushings, cooling system, etc...) done by myself and done right. I can probably sell either car for about $4k give or take, which will all be translated into mod money for the car that is kept. Thanks in advance for the input.
jordang328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2017, 03:37 AM   #2
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Sliding that S13 is cheap until motor pops....

I'd go e36 and follow Chelsea Denofas tips he's pro but down to earth and has vast BMW knowledge.... won't take much to have it sliding
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
Bspilner
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Bspilner will become famous soon enoughBspilner will become famous soon enoughBspilner will become famous soon enoughBspilner will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Get a JZX81 or Wait for a 90, Those things won't die ever... and the metal is super strong can take allot of hits.
Bspilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:40 AM   #4
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
How available are parts around your area, for either car? Any shops that specialize in selling parts? That would be first and foremost, as sometimes youll be in a crunch and need to buy a part from a store vs waiting online or expediting shipping.

That was a deciding factor when I got a race kart, which shops in my surrounding area kept a stock of what I was running, often.

Looks like both cars are about the same price in terms of suspension components to drift, the s13 already having most of what you really need to drift.

The only thing I say favoring the s13 is they are a dime a dozen and market value is pretty much where it will be forever. You can have your fun with it for a couple years on the cheap and progress as a driver then sell it for the same price as you would today, granted you don't crash it.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:46 AM   #5
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
^disagree with that last paragraph for sure

Anyway, I've driven both s13's and e36's and can honestly say the s13 would be by far the better choice. I really don't think I'm biased here, Just basing this off general automotive experience. Expensive to replace a single cam? Those things are practically free.

I like the e36, soft spot for the 4 door models, however I don't see myself building one for many reasons. S13's are just so easy to mess with, it's like they were designed to be modified. The e36's ive dealt with have had really stupid, annoying quirks/problems.

The e36 however does feel more solid compared to a tin-can s13, and no doubt it's a viable platform. At the end of the day though, the s13 wins for me. Good luck with whatever you choose to do
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
slide the bmw
this way you can get an immediate lesson in how expensive they are to repair
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Ignore him ^^ . BMW's are not expensive to repair, they require a little more because people don't take care of them. Seen tons of High mileage cars (over 200k) with factory struts and springs still, factory when bearings, etc.

Anyway, the e36 is a solid chassis and finally gaining popularity here in the states. Not exactly childs play to fix like any s-chassis, but definitely a good starter. Like the s-chassis the upgrades are scaleable to your skill level, so you can build it as you grow. An m52 with s50US or riot racing cams and a tune will have more than enough horsepower to keep you satisfied. The best part? You can scoop another m52 for dirt cheap, usually 5-700 bucks depending on mileage.

Downside is that the chassis will need some love before you can send it, make sure that the subframe mounting points aren't cracked. Add in the OE reinforcements if you don't have them already. Also make sure you have fresh bushings in there! You can use poly bushings everywhere except the diff, where I would only recommend using OE rubber. Otherwise you'll keep cracking diff mounts with a welded diff.

I have tons of experience with either chassis, and the only thing that kept me on the s-chassis platform was that I was able to scoop an s14 with nearly all the suspension bits I wanted for basically free. I parted what I wasn't keeping and broke even on the car. If I didn't find this car, I'd have either an e36 or e46 as my current competition car.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote