Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #91
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I assume their suspension setups are different. Guessing from the difference in resistance just from the ride height varrying from the front/rear (when I only installed the front springs) I guess its possible to make it driftable.
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #92
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsyke View Post
I assume their suspension setups are different. Guessing from the difference in resistance just from the ride height varrying from the front/rear (when I only installed the front springs) I guess its possible to make it driftable.
There's a reason why every professional drift car that can have power steering, does. You'll never drift "better" without it, and my feedback is that it's damned-near impossible to initiate correct with the ebrake without it.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #93
Driftastic
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Driftastic is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This post was very helpful!

I have been contemplating going manual with my rack cause currently the car is a shell and thats just one more thing to worry about working properly and i love the feel of the road with a manual steering setup. However the primary function of the car will be drifting so it probably would not be the best idea but maybe ill make a spare manual rack and try it out to see just how bad it is.
Driftastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #94
Howlermonkey
Leaky Injector

Howlermonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
One thing that can suffer from parking lot driving with de-powered rack is your steering wheel itself.

I de-powered the rack on my Z31 and the effort in parking eventually caused my Z32 steering wheel padding to separate from the rim underneath netting me a twisty feeling wheel.

That sucked.

As other people have mentioned, the U-joints now are being used a bit harder and the rubber coupler found on the Z31 inside the tube that goes through the firewall will eventually hog out from the extra loading and you will end up with play in the steering.
Howlermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #95
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Then again, Ive never drifted the car, ive broke the rear end loose a few times when I had 15x6's, however now I have 18x10's and cant break the rear end loose for anything. Steering effort is slightly increased with the massive fucking tires, but not by much.

I do wish I made a fitting so I can regrease the rack, now if only someone knew what the optimal type of grease would be. I used some amsoil, forgot the type but it was blue.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #96
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Then again, Ive never drifted the car, ive broke the rear end loose a few times when I had 15x6's, however now I have 18x10's and cant break the rear end loose for anything. Steering effort is slightly increased with the massive fucking tires, but not by much.

I do wish I made a fitting so I can regrease the rack, now if only someone knew what the optimal type of grease would be. I used some amsoil, forgot the type but it was blue.
I'd imagine you'd want something high temp (so it doesn't get hot and "crusty"), but not too thick... black molybdenum grease? I just thought about it because that's what I'm having to pick up so I can grease my input shaft bearing.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #97
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Wish the feedback wasn't so divided. Some people claim they love drifting with no power steering, while others say it is impossible.
I love how everyone assumes that every Schassis mod is meant for drifting. There needs to be separate threads I guess, because not everyone drifts their cars. Those who actually track or autocross like the feel of a depowered rack. I love it, it's very easy to drive without the effort needed from a fluid filled dead rack like people have done in the past. But then again, I don't drift, so I wouldn't know how it feels in that situation. Nor would I care.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #98
g81981
Zilvia Junkie

g81981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Any more people experience/experiment with this method?
g81981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #99
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
I love how everyone assumes that every Schassis mod is meant for drifting. There needs to be separate threads I guess, because not everyone drifts their cars. Those who actually track or autocross like the feel of a depowered rack. I love it, it's very easy to drive without the effort needed from a fluid filled dead rack like people have done in the past. But then again, I don't drift, so I wouldn't know how it feels in that situation. Nor would I care.
Not sure where you saw me assuming that all S-chassis mods are meant for drifting. I don't even care about the ones that are.
Although I see how my post could be misinterpreted, but I was referring to feedback from people who do or have tried to drift with no power steering.

Anyway, I finally drove an S13 with just the lines unhooked, and it was not bad at all. I can't wait to do this.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #100
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Not sure where you saw me assuming that all S-chassis mods are meant for drifting. I don't even care about the ones that are.
Although I see how my post could be misinterpreted, but I was referring to feedback from people who do or have tried to drift with no power steering.

Anyway, I finally drove an S13 with just the lines unhooked, and it was not bad at all. I can't wait to do this.
thats not a manual rack, dude. you're still PUSHING (and pulling!!!) all that fluid through the rack.

drain the rack, remove the lines, throw everything in the garbage... then you've got a manual setup. just be fucking sure that the rack is empty of almost all fluid and youre set.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #101
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Finally got mine finished up, welded the holes closed on the rack and am going to put a grease fitting some where to keep it lubed....

Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #102
owner240
BANNED

owner240 is an unknown quantity at this point
^Make sure to take even more pix of your process

Good job.

It's really helpful when people do step by step photo tuts.

Oh and do post your experience
owner240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #103
owner240
BANNED

owner240 is an unknown quantity at this point
For those interested in a true manual rack lo and behold:

Interest Check: Performance true manual rack for s13 and s14: 240SX Forum / 180SX Forum / Silvia Forum: Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub
owner240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #104
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
FYI...... i finally got a chance to work on the front end of my undercarriage today and that meant dropping the steering rack after near 5 years of manual steering.

i took most of the rack apart and everything inside looks perfect, I was kinda thinking that years of use without grease/fluid would cause some wear, but nope.. it was all clean. there was still a tiny bit of fluid left in the rack, which kinda surprised me... i turned the rack real quick and almost got a facial of fuckin power steering fluid, fucking sick.. i know. one side of my garage looks like it got nut on by peter north!

jokes aside, i still need 2 more spanners before i can remove my tie rod ends... a 22mm and a 41mm... gaddamn who uses wrenches this big? not me.

it appears all the pics from this thread are history now, which sucks balls. i'll update in the next week or so with updates.

i am also working on grabbing a hicas rack and comparing the differences. i think it will be nice to have a close-ratio rack. it'll be a bitch normally but should be real nice when up to speed.

mike
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #105
onepuff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
onepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
FYI...... i finally got a chance to work on the front end of my undercarriage today and that meant dropping the steering rack after near 5 years of manual steering.

i took most of the rack apart and everything inside looks perfect, I was kinda thinking that years of use without grease/fluid would cause some wear, but nope.. it was all clean. there was still a tiny bit of fluid left in the rack, which kinda surprised me... i turned the rack real quick and almost got a facial of fuckin power steering fluid, fucking sick.. i know. one side of my garage looks like it got nut on by peter north!

jokes aside, i still need 2 more spanners before i can remove my tie rod ends... a 22mm and a 41mm... gaddamn who uses wrenches this big? not me.

it appears all the pics from this thread are history now, which sucks balls. i'll update in the next week or so with updates.

i am also working on grabbing a hicas rack and comparing the differences. i think it will be nice to have a close-ratio rack. it'll be a bitch normally but should be real nice when up to speed.

mike
Just use a couple crescent wrenches.
onepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #106
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
mattro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13dan View Post
Um the gears are designed to have pressure. So under cornering you will have to fight the full weight of the car. --Watch your thumbs-- For drifting,if the car wants to snap back you better let it.

thats what im saying. my car didnt come with ps and ive damn near took me whole arm off!
mattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #107
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

im curious how ahmed thinks a custom rack will make it easier to turn?

The OE rack outside of the car has almost no resistance.

Its the S chassis suspension setup which makes it difficult.

I have 9.5" fronts, its just as easy to turn as 6" fronts.

I still have mine vented to help with high speed windage.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #108
ZAKU
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
ZAKU is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It's been a while since I first asked, but I finally swapped in my de-powered rack this weekend and so far I have mixed reviews.

The Good:

- KA-E alternator brackets works great, I love the one belt setup and all the open room in the engine bay.
- Road feel is perfect, just like my old manual rack honda

The Bad:
- Even after removing the tensioner spring, it just feels too tight. It feels great at first but after a 1/8ths turn of the steering wheel it tightens up very quickly. It's manageable during daily driving and low speed turns but it really feels like the wheels are fighting me and want to straighten out. Tight u-turns are "fun" to say the least.

The most frustrating part is I removed the tensioner spring, pulled the dust boot and tightened the adjuster until the rack stopped rotating and it was WAY too stiff. I've backed the adjuster off about 180 degrees and I can see the rack rotate if I put a wrench on it and it's still uncomfortably stiff.

I'm sure I can get the rack to loosen up by backing the adjuster off even more, but I'm already worried it's too far back.

Either way I'll wait for my alignment tomorrow too see if it changes anything.
ZAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #109
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

You shouldve removed everything inside the adjusting hole, and just used the plug to seal the area. You dont need the tensioner, you should have no slop if your suspension is safe.

The tensioner just controls the drag on getting the rack back to 0, and is not needed on a non-power setup.

I did this to my truck and its much more preferable, even on a nissan pathfinder.

Maybe you need to get used to it, or you did something wrong/missed something.

Use a grease with Moly in it, like redline.

You should post what you used to make the One belt setup? just the alternator bracket?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:52 AM   #110
ZAKU
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
ZAKU is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
The tensioner just controls the drag on getting the rack back to 0, and is not needed on a non-power setup.
Is that really all it does? I thought that it also helped support the shaft on the drivers side of the rack, like how the big aluminum end cap supports that passenger side.

Quote:
Maybe you need to get used to it, or you did something wrong/missed something.
After the alignment it did feel better, even though they only needed to adjust the toe. Maybe I was a little too harsh at first.

It also doesn't help that my last car was an EF Civic with manual steering and the front sway removed, that probably has me a little biased.

Quote:
Use a grease with Moly in it, like redline.
Redline wasn't available so I used this; Red 'N' Tacky Grease : Lucas Oil

Quote:
You should post what you used to make the One belt setup? just the alternator bracket?
I followed the guide on ka-t.org you posted earlier. A squeaking has suddenly developed so I'll be double checking it in the morning but it seems good so far.
ZAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:07 AM   #111
TerminalSamurai
Leaky Injector

TerminalSamurai is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TerminalSamurai
Bringing this back from the dead, again.

Any feedback on the difference between the hicas and non hicas rack?

I'm interested in doing this, I used to have Honda EC1, and I loved the manual steering feel.
TerminalSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:42 AM   #112
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

TurboSE is an unknown quantity at this point
Alot of debate on this....weekend driver/straight-line track car w/10" wide front wheels and an RB26....opinions?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #113
obsolete
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
obsolete is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

is there a way to take this piece off other than torx socket?

Last edited by obsolete; 04-19-2010 at 12:01 PM..
obsolete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #114
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

The picture you posted is the tensioner, and there is no torx, only a 12mm head, and a locking stop nut. Pack that area and the rest of the rack with a synthetic grease that is 5% moly. Mobil1 is not recomended. For cheap this may work and you can get it locally.

The gear shaft housing uses 3 torx bolts, I hammered a small 8-9mm socket on them IIRC.

I run 10" fronts. Pretty tough to turn at a very slow speed regardless of how you have your rack setup. At about 5mph I dont notice it much.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #115
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Obsolete whats behind there should be a tension spring to keep the shaft pressed against the gear. I found out today that you do infact need that. Its supposed to have a spring, 3 shims and a white tensioner.

I had a rough vibration when turning at high speeds, it was because there was slack on the pinion shaft and the gear. When I reinstalled the tensioner the steering response significantly improved and the vibrations stopped. I had it set just right to give just enough tension, but not to disallow the steering from centering itself.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #116
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

I'm more the visual type...and there seem to bee a few different opinions on how to do this...anybody care to share exactly what they removed/modified using the page from the FSM?

I think I've got the basic idea from the Miata site, but I'd just like some clarification.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #117
youngkadafi
Leaky Injector

youngkadafi is not welcome here anymoreyoungkadafi is not welcome here anymoreyoungkadafi is not welcome here anymoreyoungkadafi is not welcome here anymoreyoungkadafi is not welcome here anymoreyoungkadafi is not welcome here anymoreyoungkadafi is not welcome here anymoreyoungkadafi is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSE View Post

I'm more the visual type...and there seem to bee a few different opinions on how to do this...anybody care to share exactly what they removed/modified using the page from the FSM?

I think I've got the basic idea from the Miata site, but I'd just like some clarification.
Remove;

-Rack seal ring on rack assembly

Plug the 2X fittings on the gear housing, Or loop them with a hose.

Make sure you remove the Pinion rack housing assembly with a torx socket, Pack the entire rack (everythign) with grease containing 5% molybdenum. Cap all fittings on rear housing assembly.

Make sure no dust or moisture can get in the rack.
Done.
youngkadafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #118
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngkadafi View Post
Remove;

-Rack seal ring on rack assembly

Plug the 2X fittings on the gear housing, Or loop them with a hose.

Make sure you remove the Pinion rack housing assembly with a torx socket, Pack the entire rack (everythign) with grease containing 5% molybdenum. Cap all fittings on rear housing assembly.

Make sure no dust or moisture can get in the rack.
Done.
cool, so the only thing to remove is the rack ring seal...easy as that. Nice. Thanks
Old 04-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #119
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:

Pretty sure Simba crashed his car drifting without powered rack. He said its very hard to turn the wheel when it hits full lock, IIRC. Power steering is a must for drifting.
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #120
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Yea you clearly wouldnt want to do this on a drift car. A street driven car is fine. I did it because its easier to tune the suspension when the PS isnt dampening the wheel.