Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
frankies1390
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
frankies1390 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
sr20det smokes on decel

ok so my local shop is too busy doing their formula d cars and cant return my calls.. so ill try here.

ok so had a decel smoke problem, many suggested/ forums sugeested valve stem seals so i got bored, ripped the head off last night and replaced valve seals with oem seals. STILL does the exact same thing?!?!?! the turbo is fairly new but has in and out shaft play what would be the easiest way to determine exhaust housing seal and or turbo would be bad? there is very minimal oil in the hot pipe cold pipe.. any help is greatly appreciated!!!

sr20det blacktop s13
garret gt28rs turbo
triple layer head gasket
arp head studs
catch can
greddy front mount
hks exhaust
10 lbs
stock ecu and injectors
frankies1390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
there should be no oil in the hot pipe, if you think the turbo is leaking from the cold side, then check for oil in the intake manifold.
if there is? remove the intercooler, piping and manifold, and get to cleaning. the oil could be pooled somewhere and getting blown through the system.

Now, valve stem seals wont make the hot pipe have oil in it, but the exhaust manifold, turbo, down pipe etc. will.
Here pulling the exhaust mani can tell you, if it's the turbo or engine leaking oil. if there is no oil in the manifold then it's probably the turbo.

I would do a warm up, then shut down! let er cool down, hope for the easiest fix.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
How is your crankcase vent/pcv system set up?

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
frankies1390
Zilvia Junkie

if i stay outta boost it doesnt smoke as bad. so my vent system is hose from crank case (block) to "T" the out to a catch can then from catch can to the MAF adapter. The Pcv side is from the PCV valve out of the valve cover then "T's" into the intake manifold and the other side of the "T" to the brake booster.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
frankies1390
Zilvia Junkie

thanks for your guys' replies BTW.. im just stumped- ive had it all happen to my oil dip stick blowing out due to the hoses being too short on my catch can. but never a smoke issue on decel. i had my money set on valve seals.. didnt seem to help. i really am leaning towards my turbo at this point. when i did the head gasket and ARP head studs 2,000 miles ago it wasnt doing this. it happened in the last 1,000 miles
Old 03-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Sounds like turbo.

I would recommend running the factory oil separator, too.

running the correct restrictor?
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
frankies1390
Zilvia Junkie

thats what im thinkin. dont know about the restrictor. called FRsport who i got the turbo from and they recommended the .04 oil restrictor. running the same turbo on my coupe with 0 issues. ive never ran a factory oil seperator

Last edited by frankies1390; 03-18-2014 at 10:00 AM..
Old 03-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Yeah, you want the small one for BB turbo.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
frankies1390
Zilvia Junkie

i just cant imagine there being that much oil hidden somewhere for it to continue to smoke. there has to be something else going on??
Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
spools420a
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
spools420a is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ive noticed most times when car smokes on decel its valve guide seals,could purchase a borescope on ebay for like $25 and take a peak,do you have a vacuum guage and does vacuume flutter?
spools420a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
frankies1390
Zilvia Junkie

vacuum does not flutter and as stated above i already pulled my head off and replaced valve seals
Old 07-29-2022, 12:00 AM   #12
ROULETTE77

Trader Rating: (0)
ROULETTE77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what was it bro

what was it bro , exact same thing here ?
ROULETTE77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 10:53 AM   #13
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROULETTE77 View Post
what was it bro , exact same thing here ?
most likely turbo seals.
have you checked ANY of the things listed? Like oil in the charge piping, or in the intake, etc.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote