Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
I<3MyVert

Trader Rating: (0)
I<3MyVert is making a name for him/her selfI<3MyVert is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My wrecked vert Q's, dealing with insurance (state farm)

5/19/2008 I wrecked my vert...
The insurace got back to me today and they want to give my 3k for it... the bf was pissed. He thinks I should get more out of it. This is my first accident I have had so I am very clueless about everything... is there any way to get more out of it? I want to keep it, and am buying it back from them for 200. I was just more less wanting opinions from people who have gone through this kind of experience.

Thanks!

I<3MyVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
silpena
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
3 grand is not that bad. I would take it back for 200. Doesn't look that bad of a wreck. How much did u pay for this car originally? I'm sorry but insurance companys do not care about drift tax on these cars. Just buy it back and fix it and then use the rest for savings. Sometimes ppl get less for these cars.
silpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
I<3MyVert

I<3MyVert is making a name for him/her selfI<3MyVert is making a name for him/her self
I originally bought it for 2600.00

I would need a new front end, core support, rad, no damage to the strut tower, doesnt even look like any of the suspension was touched. Im hoping its an easy fix! Plus the bf has all the parts.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
flip3d
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
flip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to flip3d
Now you have a reason to get the silvia front end.
flip3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
LS14

LS14 will become famous soon enoughLS14 will become famous soon enoughLS14 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip3d View Post
+1.

brick headlights and aero front bumper = pure sex!
LS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
seesquared
Leaky Injector

seesquared is an unknown quantity at this point
$3000 is pretty good for the car. The generally give the optimal price on cars wrecked

I have used state farm for a long time now and i have never had a single problem with them. i had an old accord that got broken into, they replaced all my stereo equipment no questions asked,

I also have my s13 insured. im not sure if this policy is the same everywhere, but as long as i provide a receipt and proof of installation on the car, they cover all aftermarket parts without making the monthly payment going up

i couldnt be happier with state farm,
seesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
3k is right, looks like the bf wants to hustle the insurance company.

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
BBSilvia
Zilvia Addict

BBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BBSilvia
Quote:
agreed +1
i also live next to a state farm use to drift in the parking lot when i just got the 240...now its just track though
Old 05-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt_s13 View Post
looks like the bf wants to hustle the insurance company.
And he is right to do so.

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
3k is more than enough for a s13
be happy they're not trying to give you 1,500 like everyone else would

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
xplicit240
Zilvia Addict

xplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to xplicit240
that should be fairly easy to fix. it doesnt look too bad. and 3k is good. buy it back for 200 spend 1500 to fix another 900 for the front end.then you actually have money left over. =) GL with the fix.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #12
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibo View Post
And he is right to do so.
Yea, true. But if the insurance offered me 3k for my completely stock s13 that had that damage i would take it then buy it back.

I've seen them always try to give 1,000-1,500 for S13s.

But if he wants to make it more difficult just to get 200-300 more then so be it.

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #13
Sidewayzzz
Zilvia Member

Sidewayzzz has a spectacular aura aboutSidewayzzz has a spectacular aura aboutSidewayzzz has a spectacular aura aboutSidewayzzz has a spectacular aura aboutSidewayzzz has a spectacular aura aboutSidewayzzz has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Sidewayzzz
Pretty sure you can get appraisals of 240's in the same condition/year/etc and if the appraisal of the cars come out to be greater than 3g, the insurance should give you around what they are appraised at. For instance, find similar 240's on craigslist and KBB the car and if it comes out more, take that information to your insurance company and see if they will give you more.

But 3 grand does sound pretty fair, imho.
Sidewayzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #14
I<3MyVert

My mom told me to call her friend who just so happend to work for them a few years ago. She said to go on autotrader, ebay, craigslist, etc.. print off "local" (if I can even find them) verts that are comparable and a little bit higher priced, take them in and show them the prices... and they will "work" with me on a price, cause I guess they are giving me their "low-ball" offer.

I guess its worth a shot...

I <3 state farm too... my insurance is only 65 bucks a mo for full coverage and its not going up... they said this one is on them. he he he. hopefully no more accidents for me.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
oh yeah, you can def work with them, you dont HAVE to take their first offer.
anything regarding cars = haggle the price

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #16
aluminody

aluminody is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
HAHA foreal... Silvia front end on a convertible coupe looks so clean.
aluminody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #17
I<3MyVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pank View Post
oh yeah, you can def work with them, you dont HAVE to take their first offer.
anything regarding cars = haggle the price

More $$$ = More Parts!

Ha Ha Ha Ha
Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #18
Farzam
Post Whore!

Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
KBB for my vert last time I checked was around 4k
Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #19
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt_s13 View Post
3k is right, looks like the bf wants to hustle the insurance company.
Really? Cause my friend totalled his s13 a while back and got $3200 for it. 91 fastback base model, no options, 180k miles, autotradgic. $3k is lowballing for a vert especially in that condition. I would take no less than $3500 for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/24807...-stuff-fs.html
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #20
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
thats actually not that bad of a wreck.. just as long as the frame rails are still straight, you're good to go.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #21
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Get comparable vehicles in your areas (the higher priced ones) modded, not modded, whatever, same mileage etc.

Then get receipts of whatever you've bought for the car in the past year together and submit those to the insurance company...

All that stuff helps.

I got $4200 for my car after it got totalled, it still wasn't enough, but it got me what I needed to get back on my feet.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #22
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
how the fuck can you be 22 and have such cheap insurance?

i'm paying 75 bucks a month for the BARE MINIMUM insurance, just enough to keep the tag on the car... full coverage is more than 200 per month, and my record is clean. fucked up.

as for your car 3,000 is pretty good, but it dosnt hurt to try for more. They are an insurance company so I feel that you should have no guilt in trying to get whatever you can get from the greedy insurance companies.

worst case senario, after fighting with them a bit they dont cave on the 3k price point. buy the car back, part it out, and buy another clean chassis and have some loot left over.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #23
I<3MyVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
Get comparable vehicles in your areas (the higher priced ones) modded, not modded, whatever, same mileage etc.

Then get receipts of whatever you've bought for the car in the past year together and submit those to the insurance company...

All that stuff helps.

I got $4200 for my car after it got totalled, it still wasn't enough, but it got me what I needed to get back on my feet.

Thats the sad part, I havent done SHIT to it. lol. BONE-STOCK! the only thing it has aftermarket is the K&N air filter, lol.

This blows... just last week I saw a crap load of stock verts with high miles for 4k+... and now i cannot find one... ugh. Ohs wells... something is better than nothing, maybe I can find something to take in there, I just want to get this done and over with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
Beats me... My parents have had insurance with them for almost 20yrs now so im sure that plays a part... I do know we get discounts!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #24
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Shit, the buy back for $200 is stupid low. You're basically keeping your car and getting a check for $2800, I wouldn't complain at all. Sure you want more, but you can fix it for a third of that and keep driving it. Hell, you can drive it now, it just looks rough. If you can get them to go for more based on other cars selling then do it, but you're already in a good position.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #25
wickedS14

wickedS14 will become famous soon enoughwickedS14 will become famous soon enoughwickedS14 will become famous soon enoughwickedS14 will become famous soon enoughwickedS14 will become famous soon enough
Dang, payed $2600 and got back $3000, not a bad deal. That's more then what you payed for the car when it wasn't wrecked. Was the accident your fault? I remember when I crashed my s14, payed $2800 for it, got back $4300 and I was f'n stoked. The insurance company said it was a total lost and gave me the total value of the car that they came up with. To tell you the truth, I would of been happy with $2500! Got a hood, fender, and door for $250, prepped & primed it (came out killa) and walked away with $4050. Not a bad turn around!
wickedS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:24 AM   #26
an_orange_s2k
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
an_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
your in a good position, course you always want more but 2.8k is more than enough to fix the damage and drop in a few goodies after buying it back.
an_orange_s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:39 AM   #27
DohcKA
BANNED

DohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfectionDohcKA is close to perfection
3k is good... whats your bf smokin cause i think i need some of that... nontheless buy it back... my homie got about the same for his fastback and bout it back got a frontend and bam... sexyness well his car was way less damaged
DohcKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:17 AM   #28
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
I used to be a claim adjustor for a major auto insurance carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3MyVert View Post
is there any way to get more out of it?
Yes, get in touch with the adjustor responsible for your case and make your case. Why do you think it's worth more? Be prepared to give evidentiary support.

I don't want to get too much into this topic, but is this a collision claim or a liability claim, i.e. who caused the accident?

If it's not your fault then you have much more room to play.

With a collision claim, i.e. it was your fault, remember that when a policy is written, the premium is based on year, make, model, and mileage. You're basically insuring a stock car unless you bought additional coverage.

So when you have a total loss claim, the carrier will pay you the replacement value for an average car.

Keeping that in mind, be prepared to make your case either way. Do you have receipts? Can you get an independent appraisal? How much more money do you want?

If the accident wasn't your fault then you can make a case with the person who is at fault. Generally liablity pays for other people that a driver hits, and by definition you never know how expensive other people's cars are.

I would try that first. When you feel like you've exhausted all of your options, request to escalate your claim to State Farm's special vehicle team. They handle exotics, motorbikes, classics, etc. They will have more discretion in adjusting the value of rare cars. Just be sure you're ready to make your case on why your car is worth more than book.

Personally, if I were handling your case I would always go with the number that the computer spits out first. Most people would just accept it and take the money, but for people who want more money, I would first check with the pit boss (State Farm has agents sitting in a horseshoe with a team manager sitting in the middle so that every agent can signal the manager).

Most of the time the requested increase is so small that the manager would approve it, but if my manager says no, your next option is to escalate. I don't normally tell people this, but try the Special Vehicle Team like I said above.

If it's still no go, you need to get a lawyer and have them negotiate for you.

If you have any specific questions, lemme know. I got you.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:17 AM   #29
95Kouki
Zilvia Member

95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough
shit any aftermarket parts,custom work? can you legitimately express the rarity and value of your vehicle? never take the first offer...EVER! when my s14 got wrecked 1st offer was approx 4850 or some stupid shit like that...it took me 6 months,2 appraisials, and 6 offers later to get to almost $20k...got to keep the car and sold 6k of parts off of it...if you can do your homework and don't feel rushed to accept. They purposely play that game to get you to accept the lower offer. Best of luck and glad to hear that you're ok!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:19 AM   #30
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post

i'm paying 75 bucks a month for the BARE MINIMUM insurance, just enough to keep the tag on the car... full coverage is more than 200 per month, and my record is clean. fucked up.
Did you know that insurance premiums are calculated based on millions of factors? And the algorithns used to determine the premiums are trade secrets.

How then can you compare one person's premium with another? Each person has their own profile and each profile is different. Therefore what's cheap for one person may be expensive for another person, and it varies from company to company as well.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote