Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: which lsd
S15 OEM 54 79.41%
OBX 14 20.59%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
trecooljr

Trader Rating: (0)
trecooljr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HLSD: OBX or S15?

Which HLSD would you buy?
A used one from an S15 or a new cheap aftermarket one (OBX)?

I've been looking for a while now and from what I've seen the used S15 ones that come with correct output shafts average $600-$650, while the new OBX helicals are a little over $400.

I've heard good and bad things about OBX, a lot of people seem to hate the brand, but they supposedly offer a lifetime warranty on the part. With used, I'm worried I'm gonna get ripped off with something that got beat on or is junk. But I've also heard people say they'd rather buy used oem part over cheap new part.

So what do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
trecooljr

Well what the crap.. it didn't give me the option to create a poll.

Sorry I'm kind of new to Zilvia forums. Do you have to have a certain number of posts first? I've done it on other forums.

Whatever. Responses are welcome anyway!
Old 06-29-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
motonagam
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
motonagam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have an S15 HLSD in my S14, and it works great! I haven't tried how the OBX one is, but I would rather get a used OEM one over a cheap new aftermarket one, and I am satisfied with my purchase.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
HLSD or OBX

Started a new poll for you and merged them, I feel nice this morning.
You have to have a certain number of posts before you can add a poll to your thread, I do not know how many posts that is, but you will know for sure that you have the option on that page. Look here for details:
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showpost.php...22&postcount=8

And I write too!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
Jung918
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Jung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have heard that the OBX made a solid hlsd. I plan on getting it sometime in the future. I think a lot of people are just waiting for more reviews on it before they purchase it.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
trecooljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLIP
Started a new poll for you and merged them, I feel nice this morning.
You have to have a certain number of posts before you can add a poll to your thread...
THANKS PHLIP!! I figured as much.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
trecooljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jung918
I have heard that the OBX made a solid hlsd. I plan on getting it sometime in the future. I think a lot of people are just waiting for more reviews on it before they purchase it.

Yeah that's kind of the situation I'm in too. So far I've only seen 1 review from a 240 driver (240shorty i think, something like that) but it would make me feel better about buying if I heard that more people were using it w/out problems. Although it may never happen if everyone is scared to buy w/out reviews. Maybe I'll have to step up and just buy one and be one of the pioneers!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
trecooljr

Stats so far:

S15 - 6 votes
OBX - 1 vote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
pay a lil more for oem quality and peace of mind
Old 07-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
naed240sx
Zilvia Member

naed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the rough
What I want to know is the torque biasing ratio of each one. I was unable to find bias ratio information for either differential.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
big_schaf
Zilvia Member

big_schaf is on a distinguished road
A guy is running one on a local site that i go on and he like it and has no complaints, and btw he's running 400whp, so its gotta be good, but i would be weiry as most knock off companys obx/apc/nex aka shit haha so i think maybe obx has finally came out with something desent, so if its good enough for 400whp id say its good enough for me
Old 08-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #12
R33GTS-T
Zilvia Junkie

R33GTS-T is an unknown quantity at this point
iirc the s15 hlsd has a break away torque setting of 70 lb. ft.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #13
kris
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
kris is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would not get the cheap stuff, OBX, go S15 or better yet a nismo diff. the most attractive thing about the s15 is none of the harness of the Nismo. I have a tomei very nice on the track, but embrassing around town, I get what is the horriable noise thing quite a bit
Old 08-20-2006, 12:38 AM   #14
R33GTS-T
Zilvia Junkie

yeah the more i think about it the more i'm leaning towards the Nismo 1.5 way over the s15 hlsd
Old 08-21-2006, 02:09 PM   #15
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Location: VA.. And for those that keep PMing me asking what kit I have, it's Origin Stream.
Trader Rating: (3)
upSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've got an S15 HLSD already in an S13 open diff housing I need to get rid of. Feel free to PM me...
Old 08-21-2006, 07:20 PM   #16
rollhard
Leaky Injector

rollhard is a well-known jackass
Send a message via AIM to rollhard
First off, OBX does not make, design, etc. their parts. They simply get their stuff from factories that are making things for other companies. So....find out which factory they are getting them from and you will know how good that diff is. For example, if the factory was making stuff for kaaz, and they are private labelling them to obx, you know its a good product. Thats just an example so dont start saying I said they were Kaaz lsds.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:30 AM   #17
naed240sx
Zilvia Member

naed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by R33GTS-T
iirc the s15 hlsd has a break away torque setting of 70 lb. ft.

This means absolutely nothing. Clutch diffs have a breakaway torque spec. Torque biasing or Helical diffs have a torque biasing ratio spec, which is a completely different thing.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #18
R33GTS-T
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by naed240sx
This means absolutely nothing. Clutch diffs have a breakaway torque spec. Torque biasing or Helical diffs have a torque biasing ratio spec, which is a completely different thing.
that's what i was thinking as well....now i gotta try and find where i saw that
Old 09-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #19
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

timtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to timtiminy
i think that the only way to compare the two units (obx hlsd vs. oem S15 hlsd) is to find out the torque biasing ratios of each. it seems that the obx unit is on par with the s15 unit when it comes to them both working and not breaking. of course there are probably more s15 units being used out there than there are obx units but i dont think that tells all (partially because the obx unit has been on the market for a smaller amount of time as well as people having a negative opinion about obx products). Owners of the s15 hlsd aren't pouring out reviews and in the same way neither are obx hlsd owners. personally i went with the OBX hlsd because i believe that since the obx unit was copied after the quaife atb differential it should have a higher toque biasing ratio than the s15 hlsd (unproven information but i would like to figure out for sure the numbers on both). and the price that i got the obx unit for was unbeatable. I have nothing against chinese made products, actually i would rather let a product speak for itself than listen to everyones biased oppinions against obx products that they havent even have had personal experience with. If the part works it makes no difference if it is made in china, or japan, or usa, or elsewhere for that matter. better if its made in china because of the fact that it keeps the cost of the product down, and i firmly believe that quality can come from chinese factories. I think that the obx unit torque biasing ratio is 8:1 meaning that it biases the power between the two wheels 8x greater to the outside wheel or wheel with the greatest amount of traction in comparison to the the power of the slipping wheel, wheel that has the least amount of traction or inside wheel in that case. I have no idea on the torque biasing ratio of the quaife unit or the s15 unit. if anyone does please let us all know. oh and by the way i will be posting a review on the obx unit as soon as i get it on the road. all parts used with the obx unit will be listed. i want to do a lateral gforce reading of my car once it is finished, i am curious what i can get? hoping for 1g. btw, i'm setting my car up for grip if you havent noticed. speculations of the obx unit having a torque biasing ratio of 8:1 comes from this diagram from obx
Old 09-09-2006, 07:31 PM   #20
pwhitersxs
Zilvia Member

pwhitersxs will become famous soon enoughpwhitersxs will become famous soon enoughpwhitersxs will become famous soon enoughpwhitersxs will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to pwhitersxs
I have an s15 hlsd and love it. No problems at all for over a year. The car drives just like an open, but is much better in turns. Once you get on the gas, you can actually feel the car turn a lot better.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:20 PM   #21
bleachcola
Leaky Injector

bleachcola is an unknown quantity at this point
try to find a stocker first imo
Old 09-25-2006, 09:58 PM   #22
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

timtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the rough
so comes out that obx tbr is prolly 3:1 and oem hlsd is prolly closer to 2.5:1 or 2:1
Old 01-12-2007, 04:57 AM   #23
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

AFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to AFSil80 Send a message via MSN to AFSil80
OEM S15.

Got mine and output shafts still in the box for $450. I lucked out big time, needless to say.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #24
Jason240sx
Zilvia Member

Jason240sx is on the path to ruinJason240sx is on the path to ruin
but comparing the HLSD with a 1.5 way or a 2 way ... how different is it?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 PM   #25
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSil80
OEM S15.

Got mine and output shafts still in the box for $450. I lucked out big time, needless to say.
Yeah, I debated this as well. In the end, I won an auction on ebay (last week, actually) for an s15 hlsd with output shafts for $208 + shipping ($144)

My friend is buying an obx (and promptly disassembling and then reassembling it, per the Honda-Tech's recommendation) so we will have both to compare.

Alex
Old 02-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #26
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

e1 griego: awsome. let us all know how they compare. I bought an obx one, dissasembled it and reassembled it as you said but i have yet to put it on a car. if he has any questions feel free to have him contact me, I am willing to help anywhere i can.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #27
Taniguchi_Is_#1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
Taniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason240sx
but comparing the HLSD with a 1.5 way or a 2 way ... how different is it?

MASSIVE.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...highlight=HLSD

for your reading pleasure.

to OP: just save the extra $200 up and buy an s15 hlsd.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:55 AM   #28
Jung918
Post Whore!

Jung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtiminy
e1 griego: awsome. let us all know how they compare. I bought an obx one, dissasembled it and reassembled it as you said but i have yet to put it on a car. if he has any questions feel free to have him contact me, I am willing to help anywhere i can.
Why are people disassembling and assembling the obx hlsd?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #29
ripnbst
Zilvia Addict

ripnbst is making a name for him/her selfripnbst is making a name for him/her selfripnbst is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jung918
Why are people disassembling and assembling the obx hlsd?
I was wondering this as well. If someone could chime in or link us to the honda-tech post where you found it, that would be tits.

if anyone else wants to buy the OBX unit I can get them ridiculously cheap. PM me
Old 02-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #30
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I'm at work right now--I'll look for the h-t thread when I get home.

Alex
Closed Thread