Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:37 AM   #31
allntrlundrgrnd
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (17)
allntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_North View Post
I barely know how to do an oil change
then what are you doing lowering your car, learn about your car in stock form and learn basic maintenance before you modify your car
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2007, 01:39 AM   #32
Peter_North
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Peter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yea I got like -50000 neg rep for just asking a fucking question I guess I wont ask next time jesus
Old 12-20-2007, 01:46 AM   #33
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrxs View Post
Step one: Jack the rear of the car up by the differential

Step two: Put a jackstand under tow hook to support the car(remove jack from differential)

Step three: Remove passenger side rear wheel.

Step four: Slide under car and push up on the subframe(this will be very hard so you must get under the car, make sure your chest is about even with the brake rotor.) Hold this up, now is where you need a friends help.

Step five: Have your friend kick the jackstand out from the tow hook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irukandji View Post
You're the reason why zilvia is going down the shitter.
Congrats
I agree man, I neg repped him, this kinda shit gives Zilvia a bad name and just fills up threads with garbage!
Old 12-20-2007, 02:05 AM   #34
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Hey bud. I was in the same spot your are in a few years ago. I knew lil abouts cars haven't done much with them other than a wheel change for a spare so I understand where your coming at.

Take your time and read. This is a good question to ask since you dunno anything about it. There is no point to just lower your car. If you do there would be a lot more stuff you'd have to worry about. Everyone as told you that already. I was actually going to do the same thing a long time ago till I looked into it.
http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64
On top there a lot of sticky that have a lot of information in it. Read. Then good look and see. Also http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ has a ton.

On top of that you don't have to but think about taking a small auto class. It'll teach a lot if you dunno anything much at all about cars.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
Old 12-20-2007, 05:21 AM   #35
txrxs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
txrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
For people that don't know, Mr. North has been going around shitting on everyones threads, including my For Sale thread. Aren't you curious why he's littered with red squares? If you're going to run around e-thugging on zilvia and then all of a sudden start to act like a normal person that needs help on some basic shit, you can fuck off. I think zilvia is a great resource and if you thought my previous post was elitist, you missed the point.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:29 AM   #36
Edgar
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Edgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Edgar
Quote:

Step two: Put a jackstand under tow hook to support the car(remove jack from differential)

Step four: Slide under car and push up on the subframe(this will be very hard so you must get under the car, make sure your chest is about even with the brake rotor.) Hold this up, now is where you need a friends help.

Oh yea, I remember when I did that to you LMFAO!
Old 12-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #37
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
SHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Yea I got like -50000 neg rep for just asking a fucking question I guess I wont ask next time jesus
Actually, you already had that -50000 neg rep. And I laughed pretty goddamn'd hard at comment #19.

Honestly though, don't pay someone to do it. It won't be worth the money; I don't know where people are getting the idea that it'll only cost ~$100 for a shop to install springs at all 4 corners. With the money you'd pay on springs + labor, you could probably almost buy a decent set of lightly used coilovers and install them yourself.

If you're going to be modifying your car, and if you don't have a massive budget (and it looks like you don't), you *need* to get your hands dirty and learn how to do this stuff. I didn't know much of anything besides how to do very basic maintenance, and then I tackled swapping an RB20 into my S13. Turned out fine, just took some research and lots of hands-on experience. A shock/spring install isn't hard, it's pretty straightforward; the "toughest" part is separating the spring from the shock, only because you have to use a spring compressor and it's *slightly* time consuming. Other than that, all 4 corners shouldn't take more than a couple hours, total. Maybe a little more since you're new at it.

And get new shocks, your car will handle like shit on stock shocks with ~100,whatever miles on them. I like my KYB AGXs; they cost more than GR-2s, but I've heard that GR-2s will blow before too long with aftermarket springs because they're not designed for them.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #38
DOOK
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
DOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I hope all you mother fuckers who were dickheads to this kid were born with your knowledge of cars... oh that's right, you weren't and were probably just as ignorant at one point. Grow the fuck up.

To the original poster, if you only do lowering springs, your stock struts if not already blown, won't last long, not to mention you'll probably have camber wear issues on your tires. Save your money and learn about your car. Learn to maintain your car in stock form. I agree with that comment. Don't start modifying until you have a good handle on everything that is stock. Start upgrading when you're ready with things that are functional. Lowering springs are not, they are strictly for looks for the most part.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #39
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
Quote:
Hey I'm about to lower my car with probably some drop springs ( I cant afford coilovers or even used coilovers at this time, the car is also a DD ) and I was wondering how much it would cost to get them installed? Or is it easy enough for somebody to do it theirself? The ones I'm looking at are 1.7 inch drop, could my stock suspension handle that? Thanks.
If you are local to NJ/NY, there are a bunch of guys locally who could help you drop it / teach you about suspension. PM me if you are.

Quote:

lol while very inappropriate, that still kinda funny.

I was reading it all seriously like... why would he put the jack stand under the tow hook. ::shrug::

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
Old 12-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #40
VROOOM
Post Whore!

VROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfection
have you guys read any of Peter North's posts? the guys an asshole been pinked 2 times already. there is a reason everyone is an ass to him
Old 12-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #41
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by VROOOM View Post
have you guys read any of Peter North's posts? the guys an asshole been pinked 2 times already. there is a reason everyone is an ass to him
ah guess I missed that. my bad. Thanks for the update

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
Old 12-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #42
MrD
Leaky Injector

MrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK View Post
I hope all you mother fuckers who were dickheads to this kid were born with your knowledge of cars... oh that's right, you weren't and were probably just as ignorant at one point. Grow the fuck up.
Indeed, but that is such a basic question that searching either here or google would have yield a few good results.
Edit: + it seems that he previously acted like a douche so that might explain all the hate

OP: You probably have a friend that is a little bit more mechanically inclined than yourself, ask for his help. Installing coilovers isn't that painful or complicated.
I'd get coilovers. My second s14 came with unknown springs and Gr2's; while it didn't look too bad, the ride was nowhere near what a set of decent coilovers would give you.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #43
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK View Post

To the original poster, if you only do lowering springs, your stock struts if not already blown, won't last long, not to mention you'll probably have camber wear issues on your tires. Save your money and learn about your car. Learn to maintain your car in stock form. I agree with that comment. Don't start modifying until you have a good handle on everything that is stock. Start upgrading when you're ready with things that are functional. Lowering springs are not, they are strictly for looks for the most part.
The thing is, we didn't post questions that google could answer on a message board.

also, springs and shocks are not just for looks. a properly matched set of springs and dampers actually outperforms almost all the sets of "JDM" coilovers out there.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #44
SILVIA_KIDs14.5
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (-1)
SILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Quote:
Hey I'm about to lower my car with probably some drop springs ( I cant afford coilovers or even used coilovers at this time, the car is also a DD ) and I was wondering how much it would cost to get them installed? Or is it easy enough for somebody to do it theirself? The ones I'm looking at are 1.7 inch drop, could my stock suspension handle that? Thanks.
spring compressor 50 bucks or less local sears gots it springs well depnds wut you get but still you lose thats shit is soooo easy done it a dozen times my self no help booo to you

someone lock this thing sooo point less
Old 12-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #45
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

SHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfection
Why would you buy a spring compressor for any amount of money when you can rent it from Autozone for nothing but a deposit?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #46
SILVIA_KIDs14.5
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (-1)
SILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choicesSILVIA_KIDs14.5 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFT_*grind* View Post
Why would you buy a spring compressor for any amount of money when you can rent it from Autozone for nothing but a deposit?
because it can pay for its' self when you know ppl's who mod cars plus having tools is never a bad thing when you always work on cars
Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #47
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

I guess, if you spend a lot of time taking springs off. I really only work on my car, and I'm cheap, so I'll rent something for free 5 times to avoid buying it once. $50, that's like, umm......hmm, what will that buy....a shift knob =P
Old 12-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #48
VROOOM
Post Whore!

VROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFT_*grind* View Post
I guess, if you spend a lot of time taking springs off. I really only work on my car, and I'm cheap, so I'll rent something for free 5 times to avoid buying it once. $50, that's like, umm......hmm, what will that buy....a shift knob =P

you can get some spring compressors at harbor freight for 12.99
Old 12-20-2007, 10:31 AM   #49
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
don't pay a shop to do it. it's dead simple and you'll learn something about your car. the money that you would spend on springs + shop labor would go a long way towards some entry-level coilovers. If you do go with lowering springs, you will need to replace the shocks. the factory shocks are not designed to operate at the lower ride height, and generally blow after a few months. A good combo is KYB AGX shocks with Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs. I ran that combo for about two years and was quite satisfied with it. I have since upgraded to Silk Road coilovers.

Changing your springs/shocks is very simple. The most complicated thing is that you have to transfer your shock mount from the old shocks to the new ones. To do this, you will need to rent a spring compressor. You can rent one from Autozone, and be sure to get the "strut-type" spring compressor. The rental is free, but you do have to give them a deposit that they give back to you when you return the tools.

In the front, you will have to remove the shock mount from the top of the spring/shock assembly. it is the rubber, bushing-like object you see in the shock tower when you look at it from inside the engine bay. Here is a picture of mine back before I got coilovers.

See that single nut in the center of the shock mount? You should loosen that nut before you jack your car up, as it will be very difficult afterwards. do not remove it yet, just break it loose like you would your lugnuts before jacking up the car.

after you have removed the wheel, you will see that the shock is attached by two bolts on the bottom, and three on the top. This pic shows the lower mounting bolts:

It also shows the brake line clipped to the shock. first you will want to remove the clip holding the brake line. it is just a small bent piece of sheet metal. use a hammer and a flat screw driver to slide it off. pull the brake line out of the way (you don't have to disconnect it in any way). remove the upper three mounting nuts shown in the top picture above (the ones arranged in a triangle on the shock tower). then remove the two lower mounting bolts (shown in the second pic). you can now remove the entire spring/shock assembly. this is where you will have to use the spring compressor. the shock and the shock mount are holding the spring in compression. using the spring compressor is self explanatory. it is just a pair of clamps that you attach to the spring and then screw down using a ratchet or an air wrench if you have one. you will need to compress the spring to the point that it is no longer putting any pressure on the shock mount. Just be careful doing this step. the compressed spring is storing a lot of potential energy, and if one of the clamps were to slip, you could end up losing a finger. after you have compressed the spring (be sure it is no longer putting any pressure on the strut mount), finish removing the nut inside the shock mount (shown in first pic) to remove it. Now your shock mount should be removed from your shock, and you will be able to take the spring off the shock. remove the spring compressor from the old spring.

Now, it is simlply a matter of retracing your steps backwards to install the new one. compress the new spring, put it on the shock, attach the shock mount. note: the spring has a "top" and "bottom" One end of the spring will be machined flat, this is the top. the other end is not flat, this is the bottom of the spring. you will notice that the mounting surface on the shock will be formed to accomodate the bottom of the spring. after attaching the shock mount, uncompress the spring, remove the compressor, and install the unit back on the car.

The rear is pretty much the same, except that there is just two nuts at the top and one bolt at the bottom. I forget what the shock mount in the rear is like, but the removal process is pretty much the same.

getting coilovers simplifies the process because you don't have to remove the strut mount from the shock, as the camber plates on the coilover replace the strut mount. so that means you don't need a spring compressor. just unbolt the old assembly, remove, and replace with the new assembly and adjust your reide height.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #50
HellaSlowAndOld
Zilvia Member

HellaSlowAndOld is making a name for him/her selfHellaSlowAndOld is making a name for him/her selfHellaSlowAndOld is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
you can get some spring compressors at harbor freight for 12.99
i wouldn't recommend anything sold at harber freight lol, go to autozone rent there spring compressors for like $40 (there really good too), then when u return them u get all ur money back.... its not that hard to lower ur car, most of the time u only have to compress the stock springs, the lowering ones go one fairly easy with just ur own body weight....a buddy to help u is always a good idea aswell

do it urself, from it u will learn more about ur ride and u will feel way better after u do it cuz u did it urself!

-Andrey
Old 12-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #51
HellaSlowAndOld
Zilvia Member

HellaSlowAndOld is making a name for him/her selfHellaSlowAndOld is making a name for him/her selfHellaSlowAndOld is making a name for him/her self
Hey, if by any chance u live in NorCal i could come help u out
Old 12-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #52
VROOOM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaSlowAndOld View Post
i wouldn't recommend anything sold at harber freight lol, go to autozone rent there spring compressors for like $40 (there really good too), then when u return them u get all ur money back.... its not that hard to lower ur car, most of the time u only have to compress the stock springs, the lowering ones go one fairly easy with just ur own body weight....a buddy to help u is always a good idea aswell

do it urself, from it u will learn more about ur ride and u will feel way better after u do it cuz u did it urself!

-Andrey
ive used them for 8 years no problems
Old 12-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #53
HellaSlowAndOld
Zilvia Member

Quote:
ive used them for 8 years no problems
damn, thats really good!, my buddy was lowring is wrx with them and like the the thread messed up and they bent, it was horable..the thing was he was using them the right way too....
Old 12-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #54
redZENKI
Zilvia Member

redZENKI is making a name for him/her selfredZENKI is making a name for him/her selfredZENKI is making a name for him/her self
Quote:

hahahahahahahaha!...gave me watery eyes.
Closed Thread