Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #31
2jzgte_IS300

Trader Rating: (0)
2jzgte_IS300 is making a name for him/her self2jzgte_IS300 is making a name for him/her self2jzgte_IS300 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yea it seems as though these megans aren't appreciated by those posts so if i were you i would contact zerolift.com and let them know cause they got a 3 containers of nothing but silvia/240 parts and alot of used coils. they may be able to hook you up. sorry if im off topic but just letting you know.
2jzgte_IS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #32
Sonic Motor
www.SonicMotor.com

Trader Rating: (113)
Sonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 113 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sonic Motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxdrifterS14 View Post
I was starting to think about getting the megan race coilover kit for my s14, what does everyone think about there quality, and is it a huge major improvement over stock?
yes, its better than stock.

Anything is better than stock, as long as you dont cut or heat the springs haha.

want megan coils? PM me
Old 01-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #33
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa Troopa View Post
It's called capitalism and there are even Ohlins dampers that suck. The reason those kits you listed cost so much is because they're not built until your order goes through which means the shit is built for your car and your car only.
um and exactly how many Ohlin dampers have you gone through?

Quote:
It cost 10k because it's the only shit out right now and it's for a brand new car that has such hype it's selling for over 100k at used car dealerships and YJA. Once again capitalism plays a role in this. Supply and demand.
You really expect the price to drop once more companies develop suspension for it? Even if it does, it wont be much. I'd rather stick with the stock Bilstein then downgrade to a Japanese coilover. Does ANYONE find it odd that most coilovers for the 240 is 8-6 spring rates? Why is it so uniform? Sure some custom spring rates can be ordered, but valving is not changed. I'm not saying ALL Japanese coilovers are like this, but MOST.

Quote:
You sound like you're filled with biased hatred and misinformation.
I'm sorry, but i think it's actually you filled with misinformation. If i sounded like i was filled with hatred i apologize, i dont mean to come off as an ass.

Quote:
Actually you get what you paid for applies very well.
Did you read the article i posted? If you can prove a guy wrong that has years of shock building behind him, his own personal shock dyno, and race team experience then please do so. If I'm wrong i will gladly admit it. I'm always happy to learn something new.
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #34
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
Koopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Koopa Troopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouki_s14 View Post
um and exactly how many Ohlin dampers have you gone through?
None but I almost bought a set of PCV's but decided against it because how good is a fucking damper that only allows height adjustment through spring preload? I don't need to buy those to know that might not be the damper for me.

Quote:
You really expect the price to drop once more companies develop suspension for it? Even if it does, it wont be much. I'd rather stick with the stock Bilstein then downgrade to a Japanese coilover. Does ANYONE find it odd that most coilovers for the 240 is 8-6 spring rates? Why is it so uniform? Sure some custom spring rates can be ordered, but valving is not changed. I'm not saying ALL Japanese coilovers are like this, but MOST.
No I don't because it's an $80k car.. You can't compare aftermarket parts for a brand new car with an MSRP of $80k with an S chassis car. Once again your posts are filled with biased hatred. Have you ever called any of these shitty Japanese companies and asked to build you a custom version of one of their dampers? I bet you haven't.

Most coilovers for S chasis cars are generic due to marketing and capitalism. Take an economics class.

Any big name Japanese company will provide custom spring rates, valving and sometimes external oil resevoirs for an added cost.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but i think it's actually you filled with misinformation. If i sounded like i was filled with hatred i apologize, i dont mean to come off as an ass.
Nope, still you pal.

Quote:
Did you read the article i posted? If you can prove a guy wrong that has years of shock building behind him, his own personal shock dyno, and race team experience then please do so. If I'm wrong i will gladly admit it. I'm always happy to learn something new.
I skimmed the article. Personally I think it's full of ignorance. I don't give a fuck what his crediantials are.

Quote:
Buying Shocks

Remember this list:
  • Bilstein
  • Penske
  • Koni
  • Ohlins
  • Sachs
  • Dynamic Suspension
Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
I don't need to have race team experiance and my own shock dyno to know he's full of shit.

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Koopa Troopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #35
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Quote:
None but I almost bought a set of PCV's but decided against it because how good is a fucking damper that only allows height adjustment through spring preload? I don't need to buy those to know that might not be the damper for me.
and who said ALL shocks need to have dual height adjustability to be good?

Quote:
No I don't because it's an $80k car.. You can't compare aftermarket parts for a brand new car with an MSRP of $80k with an S chassis car. Once again your posts are filled with biased hatred. Have you ever called any of these shitty Japanese companies and asked to build you a custom version of one of their dampers? I bet you haven't.

Most coilovers for S chasis cars are generic due to marketing and capitalism. Take an economics class.

Any big name Japanese company will provide custom spring rates, valving and sometimes external oil resevoirs for an added cost.
A big company like JIC perhaps? Last i heard there was a group buy with JIC offering custom spring rates and JIC would even revalve the shocks to match the spring rates. Yet when the customers got the coilovers, NONE of the shocks were actually revalved. Great company huh?

Just because the thing is MADE IN JAPAN doesnt automatically make it a good product.

So how many custom built Japanese coilovers have you tested against the European/American brands? None i assume.

Quote:
Nope, still you pal.
um sure....

Quote:
I skimmed the article. Personally I think it's full of ignorance. I don't give a fuck what his crediantials are.
Then what are your credentials to say that he is full of ignorance? You're the one that is pretty ignorant if you ignore a person's credentials. If you're calling bullshit on his work, then provide some evidence to back up your claim.

Quote:
I don't need to have race team experiance and my own shock dyno to know he's full of shit.
What makes you so smart? Your "experience" with certain coilovers? Again, show me some evidence.

You sound like one angry person, take a step back and think about what you're saying. You havnt proved anything to me with your economics argument. I'm still waiting to actually learn something here, like i said before, I'm always happy to be proven wrong.

Also i didnt say your Topline Aragosta coilovers were crap, I've heard good things about them. So if you're insulted because i said Japanese crap, read closely. I said MOST, not all.

PS: You should stop with the economics classes and take a spelling one instead.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #36
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
The damping of every "JDM" coilover I've seen(dual height adjustable, below $2k) is a bit of a hit or miss proposition, but given how the feel of the shocks change drastically from a cold morning to driving them hard and getting them hot, you can just imagine what happens out on the track...

I'd have to agree with the guy on that website - his analysis seems pretty spot on based on my little exposure to "real suspension engineering."
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #37
240sxdrifterS14
Leaky Injector

240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore
Thank you all so much, this is exactly what I wanting to hear, I still currently have my 12 year old struts and all and I dont think they're gonna last much longer. So I'm just getting opinions from others that have more experience. I want to get on the track as far a drifting but dont know exactly when that will happen. Right now my car is a dd that puts up with pretty high levels of abuse from a newb who is trying to force himself how to learn how to drift. So my buget is pretty much 1500 and below so just in your opinions what setup do you think would be best? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:43 AM   #38
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Koopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfection
Quote:
and who said ALL shocks need to have dual height adjustability to be good?
I did. Adjusting height through preload is fucking retarded.

Quote:
A big company like JIC perhaps? Last i heard there was a group buy with JIC offering custom spring rates and JIC would even revalve the shocks to match the spring rates. Yet when the customers got the coilovers, NONE of the shocks were actually revalved. Great company huh?
I don't anything about that to make a comment.. Perhaps the middle man with the group buy fucked the order. I wasn't there so I can't make judgement.

Quote:
Just because the thing is MADE IN JAPAN doesnt automatically make it a good product.
Usually it's the ones that are still made in Japan that are the good products as most Japanese brands have their products made in Taiwan now...

Quote:
So how many custom built Japanese coilovers have you tested against the European/American brands? None i assume.
None but I have had nothing with great experience with the very same companies you're currently trying to call shit.

Quote:
Then what are your credentials to say that he is full of ignorance? You're the one that is pretty ignorant if you ignore a person's credentials. If you're calling bullshit on his work, then provide some evidence to back up your claim.
Anyone that says such and such company kicks ass and is the only person to buy from and all other shit sucks is ignorant. Granted I do a lot of shit because I like a certain brand but I'm not so fast to call other stuff out there junk.

Quote:
What makes you so smart? Your "experience" with certain coilovers? Again, show me some evidence.
I know what works and I don't need some guy with "race experience" telling me it's crap when I've seen people prove otherwise.

Quote:
You sound like one angry person, take a step back and think about what you're saying. You havnt proved anything to me with your economics argument. I'm still waiting to actually learn something here, like i said before,I'm always happy to be proven wrong.
You keep pointing out off the shelf suspension marketed toward the cheap drifter crowd and comparing them to custom ordered suspension. Why don't you just compare Tokico Illuminas to JGTC spec Toda Fightex?

Quote:
Also i didnt say your Topline Aragosta coilovers were crap, I've heard good things about them. So if you're insulted because i said Japanese crap, read closely. I said MOST, not all.
Actually I am insulted. You say most because your only experience is of that with the budget suspension designed to appeal to the drifter crowd. BTW Topline is from New Zealand..

Quote:
PS: You should stop with the economics classes and take a spelling one instead.
Learn to punctuate and the difference between a proper noun and a noun if you're going to start pointing out grammatical errors.

I highlighted a few of your errors and that's not even pointing out your lack of quotation marks and over use of commas when you should have used a semi colon.

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Old 01-19-2008, 12:47 AM   #39
Sil80Dreams
Leaky Injector

Sil80Dreams is making his/her stupidity well-knownSil80Dreams is making his/her stupidity well-knownSil80Dreams is making his/her stupidity well-known
Dude I was about to make the same mistake. Until like, seriously yesterday. You said your budget is 1500 right? Get the MoonFace Racing coilovers, they are like $1300 and supposedly way way way way way way way way way way better than Megan's haha. Actually I just made a thread about it. Here...http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=173134
Sil80Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:53 AM   #40
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

I'd save another 1500 and get some Toda Fightex...

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #41
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I'd get Koni 8611's all around for that price - will get you 95% of the performance of the "very nice" $4k+ stuff that's actually used in racing.

If you actually knew how any of these cheaply made Asian dampers were put together, you'd laugh when you compared them to a Moton, JRZ, Penske, Koni 28 etc. Yet some of the Asian stuff really isn't that much cheaper than the "absolutely amazing" stuff I just mentioned.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #42
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I did. Adjusting height through preload is fucking retarded.
lol

Quote:
I don't anything about that to make a comment.. Perhaps the middle man with the group buy fucked the order. I wasn't there so I can't make judgement.
lol spelling errors and missing words....

Quote:
Usually it's the ones that are still made in Japan that are the good products as most Japanese brands have their products made in Taiwan now...
Um no

Quote:
None but I have had nothing with great experience with the very same companies you're currently trying to call shit.
Your experience means nothing to me.

Quote:
Anyone that says such and such company kicks ass and is the only person to buy from and all other shit sucks is ignorant. Granted I do a lot of shit because I like a certain brand but I'm not so fast to call other stuff out there junk.
lol

Quote:
I know what works and I don't need some guy with "race experience" telling me it's crap when I've seen people prove otherwise.
lol

Quote:
You keep pointing out off the shelf suspension marketed toward the cheap drifter crowd and comparing them to custom ordered suspension. Why don't you just compare Tokico Illuminas to JGTC spec Toda Fightex?
lol

Quote:
Actually I am insulted. You say most because your only experience is of that with the budget suspension designed to appeal to the drifter crowd. BTW Topline is from New Zealand..

So explain to everyone why you're not using your beloved Japanese coilovers.

Quote:
Learn to punctuate and the difference between a proper noun and a noun if you're going to start pointing out grammatical errors.

I highlighted a few of your errors and that's not even pointing out your lack of quotation marks and over use of commas when you should have used a semi colon.
LOL, dude don't get so worked up. My errors were out of laziness, sorry i am not writing an essay so i dont feel the need to type "i" in a capital letter.

You need to take a grammar class and learn what a "quotation mark" is and what an "apostrophe" is lol. Again i left out the apostrophes (do you remember what it is called yet?) because this is not an essay. People can still understand what i am trying to say. Also ask any grammar teacher and they will tell you to NEVER use a semi colon, the symbol should be taken out of the english language. You on the other hand cannot spell which can cause confusion with whatever you're trying to communicate. Notice i used an apostrophe for "you're" because it needs to be there for clarity purposes.

I'm flattered you took all that time to find my mistakes. Was that an attempt to make me look like an idiot or something? Sorry i am not going to do that for you, it would take me way too long.

Just because you live in Japan does not make you better than us in the states. It also does not mean you know what is good or what is bad. I still dont see any evidence for your "great knowledge". You need to get off your pedestal and open your thick skull.

This thread is OT now, I'm done with it.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #43
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
So explain to everyone why you're not using your beloved Japanese coilovers.
Because I got them for a killer price. Had they not been on sale for a killer price then I would have went with GAB Prosso or Toda Fightex.

Quote:
Um no
Um, yeah.

Quote:
Your experience means nothing to me.
At least my experience is actual and not shit read from Tips to Great Auto X written and illustrated by Biased Old Guy

Quote:
LOL, dude don't get so worked up. My errors were out of laziness, sorry i am not writing an essay so i dont feel the need to type "i" in a capital letter.
Then don't be so fast to call other people out. OMG I don't have a good come back so I'm just gonna say you fail at t3h grammar. BUT OH NOES!!! IT BACKFIRED!!! QUICK execute c:\windows\excuses.exe

Quote:
You need to take a grammar class and learn what a "quotation mark" is and what an "apostrophe" is lol. Again i left out the apostrophes (do you remember what it is called yet?) because this is not an essay. People can still understand what i am trying to say. Also ask any grammar teacher and they will tell you to NEVER use a semi colon, the symbol should be taken out of the english language. You on the other hand cannot spell which can cause confusion with whatever you're trying to communicate. Notice i used an apostrophe for "you're" because it needs to be there for clarity purposes.
That's new. Once again you need to learn the difference between the nouns before you correct my use of the English language.

Quote:
I'm flattered you took all that time to find my mistakes. Was that an attempt to make me look like an idiot or something? Sorry i am not going to do that for you, it would take me way too long.
I'm sure it would...

Quote:
Just because you live in Japan does not make you better than us in the states. It also does not mean you know what is good or what is bad. I still dont see any evidence for your "great knowledge". You need to get off your pedestal and open your thick skull.

This thread is OT now, I'm done with it.
Who said it does? Sounds like someone's jealousy is seeping out.

What evidence do you need? Do you want some kind of picture of my car at a race track so I can pretend I'm better than everyone because I am a "track driver?"

I DON'T drive on tracks, I DON'T have any kind of "race" license and if you want to know what gives me credibility with motorsports see sig for details.

The thread isn't off topic because it's still in discussion of coilover suspension. Quit trying to run.

To OP... Save your money, buy Toda Fightex or when I get back I can hook you up with something decent on Up Garage...

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #44
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Because I got them for a killer price. Had they not been on sale for a killer price then I would have went with GAB Prosso or Toda Fightex.

Um, yeah.

At least my experience is actual and not shit read from Tips to Great Auto X written and illustrated by Biased Old Guy

Then don't be so fast to call other people out. OMG I don't have a good come back so I'm just gonna say you fail at t3h grammar. BUT OH NOES!!! IT BACKFIRED!!! QUICK execute c:windowsexcuses.exe

That's new. Once again you need to learn the difference between the nouns before you correct my use of the English language.

I'm sure it would...

Who said it does? Sounds like someone's jealousy is seeping out.

What evidence do you need? Do you want some kind of picture of my car at a race track so I can pretend I'm better than everyone because I am a "track driver?"

I DON'T drive on tracks, I DON'T have any kind of "race" license and if you want to know what gives me credibility with motorsports see sig for details.

The thread isn't off topic because it's still in discussion of coilover suspension. Quit trying to run.

To OP... Save your money, buy Toda Fightex or when I get back I can hook you up with something decent on Up Garage...
lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll thanks for the laughs, it was fun.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #45
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
acting cool to fit in. it's alright everyone here does it. you act like you've never bought something because it was cheaper.

like you've never bought anything from a fucking wal-mart.

not that i'm questioning how rich you are, after all we all do drive 240sx's. that screams nothing other than baller, i assure you.

poser.
My 240's are the cheapest cars I own. So I don't recall saying they were the shit.

Have I every bought anything from walmart?

Fuck no. I don't have anything against them. I just don't shop there.

Cool if you do. Saves you money so you can buy quality parts or whatever.

I've NEVER bought something just because it was cheaper at the cost of quality.

Buy nice, not twice.

Stop trying to justify your brokeass ways.

In the mean time.

Have fun being cheap.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #46
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
I still don't get all these coilover discussions. It usually ends up with people just getting involved in stupid arguments that have nothing to do with the coilovers.

Unfortunately, in this market, there are not many, or really any, companies that will produce dyno plots or give any specs on the valving on their dampers. Even a force number at a given speed would be better than nothing. And then most of the reviews are from people with little to no real experience. I don't mean driving experience, I mean experience with properly designed suspension. And even with real driving experience, read any organized motorsports driving, there are still a lot of people that don't know how things should work and how they should feel. But there is a difference between people who think something feels better and from people who know that this change made them faster at a certain track. The people with quantifiable evidence are much better suited to give a good review of a suspension. And I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone, but I don't trust the reviews of 99% of the people in this market.

And for people who think Dennis Grant's Autocross secrets notes is crap, then you were either offended by what he wrote or just too close minded to accept someone else's experience. While I don't agree with everything he says, he does have a lot of experience with dampers and setting up suspensions. So his reviews of different brands of dampers are based on what he has seen on the shock dyno. Now even with some bias, this can't be far from the truth. A dyno doesn't lie, it tells you exactly what you want to know given a test. Although a basic crank dyno doesn't tell you everything, it tells you a lot more than a review from someone who drove down a mountain.

In my opinion, unless dyno plots are shown or unbiased reviews from one of the few people that I trust are given, all this crap is the same, it's just a different color.

So without empirical data, this discussion is worthless. Unless there come in a color that will better match your car than any of the other entry level coilovers coming from somewhere in asia.

Tim
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #47
yudalicious
Zilvia Addict

yudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond repute
This isn't empirical data, take it for what it's worth. I run the KTS and my friend runs the Stance (GR+ I believe) and we liked them for what they are, a track/daily suspension on a budget. After experiencing Koni dampers on track and how much more grip they were able to "extract" from similar tires and set up, we were very much sold on Koni. If you were going for the slammed riding on rails look the separate preload/height adjustment would probably be better, otherwise, it's just a gimmick.
yudalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:11 AM   #48
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisass View Post
I still don't get all these coilover discussions. It usually ends up with people just getting involved in stupid arguments that have nothing to do with the coilovers.

Unfortunately, in this market, there are not many, or really any, companies that will produce dyno plots or give any specs on the valving on their dampers. Even a force number at a given speed would be better than nothing. And then most of the reviews are from people with little to no real experience. I don't mean driving experience, I mean experience with properly designed suspension. And even with real driving experience, read any organized motorsports driving, there are still a lot of people that don't know how things should work and how they should feel. But there is a difference between people who think something feels better and from people who know that this change made them faster at a certain track. The people with quantifiable evidence are much better suited to give a good review of a suspension. And I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone, but I don't trust the reviews of 99% of the people in this market.

And for people who think Dennis Grant's Autocross secrets notes is crap, then you were either offended by what he wrote or just too close minded to accept someone else's experience. While I don't agree with everything he says, he does have a lot of experience with dampers and setting up suspensions. So his reviews of different brands of dampers are based on what he has seen on the shock dyno. Now even with some bias, this can't be far from the truth. A dyno doesn't lie, it tells you exactly what you want to know given a test. Although a basic crank dyno doesn't tell you everything, it tells you a lot more than a review from someone who drove down a mountain.

In my opinion, unless dyno plots are shown or unbiased reviews from one of the few people that I trust are given, all this crap is the same, it's just a different color.

So without empirical data, this discussion is worthless. Unless there come in a color that will better match your car than any of the other entry level coilovers coming from somewhere in asia.

Tim
thank you

thank you

thank you
Old 01-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #49
2plus4plus0eq6
Zilvia Junkie

2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known2plus4plus0eq6 is making his/her stupidity well-known
I have some Megans (Street version) and I like them. You can adjust them 32 different ways. I find the softest setting is a little too stiff for the street but its not bad. I haven't drifted mine yet on the track so.. I cant say much there.

I like mine and I don't regret buying them.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #50
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
Honestly if the guy wants to spend 1500 he should spend on some konis that will last, not blow, and be predictable... not changing in conditions... be rebuildable, warranty/gaurantee lifetime crap... from a reputable company + people who run them have nothing but good to tell of them... compared to the jdm or not jdm low end crap thats made in taiwan/china 99% of the time... thats nice and shiny and can scrape the framrails to the road to be mad dorfito tyte...

For 1500$ im sure a nice koni yellow with GC or koni 8610 or something along those lines setup could be put together... and not have to regret.. and be better than 90% of the other jdm tyte coilovers on the market...

Being back jarring painful does not mean you have a race car suspension it just means you probably have a shitty damper that can't take the spring rates, or poorly valved, or unable to take the sprung/unsprung weight like a real man lol

You know what I don't get it... is how... people don't realize the purpose of a damper... it's suppose to absorb the hits from the road while being able to stick to the road.... think about it... The better the technological capability and quality of your damper, the better your damper will stick flat to the surface gripping and the less it'll be painful. Otherwise might as well weld it together like a go kart...

Speaking of these coilovers:

http://todaracing.com/product?cid=15&id=565

Fightex or whatever, I have no experience with them, but for less the price you can have all around koni 8611 and custom spring rates, custom housings that can give even more clearance in the front on your s chassi car, camber plates, the whole package... for say... 2200$ or so... that's pretty sick... and its been proven (eg; aceinthehole and he actually ran koni 8610 in rear but you get the idea).
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #51
TougeNinja
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
TougeNinja is making a name for him/her selfTougeNinja is making a name for him/her selfTougeNinja is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

TougeNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #52
inertiaticism
Zilvia Junkie

inertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond repute
Somewhere in the middle lie the people who don't want to have to run Konis and sleeves, and just want a decent quality shock that will get the the ride height they want and provide adequate performance for a street track car.

Saying that KONIS ARE ALWAYS BETTER IF YOU DON'T RUN THEM YOU ARE AN IDIOT is pretty moronic since 8610s and GC sleeves don't really meet the needs of someone who just wants to go low and have a fun to drive car for not a huge amount of money.

Likewise, many commonly used dampers on Zilvia are useless to someone building a real track car because they often have poor valving characteristics and are not rebuildable/revalvable and also do not have the support of more commonly used racing dampers.

I sit right in the middle of this problem. I want my car to not look like a dickshoe and I'm building it almost exclusively to track.
Inserts in oem strut bodies with GC sleeves look like fucking crap imho, they do not go low enough on stock strut tubes.
If I wanted my project to have 4 feet of fender gap I would just sell my s14 and drive my Jeep everywhere.

It seems to me that I have a few options, either make custom strut bodies to get a good looking ride height with Koni 8610s and sleeves (which is what I did), or buy something premade that has decent valving and will be stupid expensive.

For a large portion of people here, MR coilovers are just fine even though they are chinese fake-brand bullshit. If all you've ever driven else is stock s13 sus or blown out tokico blues with sportlines, then they are going to feel pretty awesome in comparison.

I love my Konis and am glad I made that choice, but different strokes and such, then only thing I would change is that I would like to figure out a way to run Bilstein takeapart dampers in my S14 strut tubes.
I live in the middle of circle track country and just about every little dirt track shop can set you up with rebuildable bilstiens or afco aluminum body dampers and the stuff to revalve them without even having to order anything.
inertiaticism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #53
IStop4NoMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
IStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant futureIStop4NoMan has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I have megan streets. yes they are bouncy but i honestly have not tried any other products out there that i can compare them to. i bought them because i am cheap, haha ill admit that. so i guess for the price i cant complain. i think i have all the dampeners set to "7" and havent really messed with the settings. maybe with some adjustments, they will be less bouncy on the freeway, and potholes wont be a nightmare.
IStop4NoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #54
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:

Quit trying to run.

Who ran now?