Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #31
kornmanz
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
kornmanz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've got a Kaaz 2 way. It was on the expensive side but worth every penny. Sure its loud, sure you'll get weird looks by people who think your car is about to blow up in the parking lot, but when you step on the gas you'll smile.
kornmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #32
carmaniac1993
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
carmaniac1993 is on the path to ruincarmaniac1993 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMigs View Post
Lolol I like that
i meant, handleing wise its not as bad as what people make it seem.
people were tellin me how its uncontrolable and what not, but its completely controlable. Just depends on ur foot, like every other lsd type deal.
carmaniac1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #33
didderson
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
didderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to didderson
S15 helical is the way to go for the street/grip driving. Less maintenance too lol 3kmile oil changes for clutch type diffs add up $$. Standard gl5 75W-90 oil will be used for oem diffs. IIRC the suggested service interval for these diffs is around same as oem or 15000 miles

If you want to drift though get a clutch type for sure.

A good condition s15 HLSD can be had for around $550 INCLUDING s15 output shafts which you need. This was the price of mine prob 5-6 yrs ago.

Please keep in mind the final drive ratio will stay the same because you will swap your stock ring gear onto this new diff. If you decide to change, you will need a new pinion gear from the same ratio'd differential to also install, or just the other pumpkin.

Because there's no extra understeer created by the locked up diff, you'll never know it's there until you get on it and your tires fight each other for grip. Fishtailin w/ the hlsd is fun as hell, and drifting is definitely possible, just don't drop a wheel!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #34
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmaniac1993 View Post
i didnt read any replys
but im just gonna say, welded diff is not as bad as alot of people make it seem. Its not like ZomGzzz its raining im g0ing to wr3ck!!11!!!1. its great for drifting
but i will also say, ive been dailying a welded for 2 years and at this point, i am dead tired of it. it fucks EVERYTHING up. transmissions, bushings, bearings, pretty much everything in your drivetrain. doesnt happen fast, but it'll creep up.
What the hell this is retarded.
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #35
carmaniac1993
Zilvia Member

carmaniac1993 is on the path to ruincarmaniac1993 is on the path to ruin
^^read 2 posts above.............
carmaniac1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #36
s14gj
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
s14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I know this is kinda an old thread, but any one know
What a s15 helical diff is worth in an s13 pumpkin??? used
Less then 2k miles.

I bought a car with one in it, I have been told that they suck
for drifting?? So I'm going with a 2way.
s14gj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #37
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
so you have not really drifted on them yet and you are now ready to fork out some cash because some one told you they suck for drifting?
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #38
s14gj
Zilvia Addict

s14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant futures14gj has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdad123 View Post
so you have not really drifted on them yet and you are now ready to fork out some cash because some one told you they suck for drifting?
Yep!

I've had open, vlsd, and my last 2 track cars Had
Kaaz and cusco, just never f*ucked with an s15
Diff, and the car isnt a dd, or even much of a
Street car.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #39
badbob2121
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
badbob2121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I have a s15 HLSD, and my feelings are the same as everyone else's.... I love it

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM = BOBBY_LS13
badbob2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #40
blo0d
Zilvia Member

blo0d is an unknown quantity at this point
what about the OBX diff... any opinions on those?
blo0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #41
s14gj
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob2121 View Post
I have a s15 HLSD, and my feelings are the same as everyone else's.... I love it
Is your car your dd? Do u drift it? Over the winter I've driven
The car a couple times On the street, I agree the s15 diff is a nice
Diff, but I'm looking for drifting only. And what is a s15 diff in the
Pumpkin worth??
Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #42
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
The Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blo0d View Post
what about the OBX diff... any opinions on those?
Do a search. There are people on here and elsewhere who have had pretty good success with them.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #43
murda-c
Post Whore!

murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
I like my S15 helical until I am making a u turn and the road crown causes me to lift a wheel and everyone turns and looks because of my loudly squealing tire.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #44
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14gj View Post
is your car your dd? Do u drift it? Over the winter i've driven
the car a couple times on the street, i agree the s15 diff is a nice
diff, but i'm looking for drifting only. And what is a s15 diff in the
pumpkin worth??
$500-600..
e1_griego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #45
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Spend the money. Go OS Giken. I know I am.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #46
Howie Felter Snatch
Zilvia Member

Howie Felter Snatch is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd personally recommend you to get the NISMO GT L.S.D. PRO if you're willing to spend the $$$..

I love the ability to be able to change my initial torque setting without having to crack open the pumpkin! Its like a quick-change diff but just not AS quick Really sleek stuff! NISMO did a good job engineering the clutch plates and lock-up characteristics.. You get equal torque distribution to each wheel.. Unlike other manufactures of LSD's, they don't quite actually distribute the torque to each wheel so equally.. Check out all the info and graphs on NISMO's website for the GT L.S.D. Pro.
Howie Felter Snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #47
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Pumpkin worth??
Its worth $50, now pm me your number and I'll buy it off you right now
Old 01-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #48
epik1
Zilvia Member

epik1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone tried ATS diffs? Out of second hand experience (sitting in) I know they perform very well for civics...
epik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #49
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Flame suit ready.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #50
badbob2121
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
badbob2121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Pumpkin worth??

No it is not my DD, No i dont drift

and i would start your asking price in the $500 range.

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM = BOBBY_LS13
badbob2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #51
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMigs View Post
From my experience, most people in SoCal used to choose between

Nismo
KAAZ
Cusco
and Tomei

Nismo had some diffs that were pretty mild without clunks, I think it was called Nismo Street or something like that. I bought a used 2-way that was like this once from a shop called G-Speed, and supposedly that was what was inside. They've also got some pretty aggressive ones that are adjustable. I know some people on here had/have it; I believe it was called the Nismo SSS Differential. And then there was Nismo GT, which was supposedly really aggressive. Depending on your connections, you could get a Nismo diff in the sub $1000 range, or you can get lucky and find a used diff and work with that. I bought my used Nismo diff for $600 at the time. Just make sure it's not VERY used, or else it'll function poorly. Also, I think certain Nissan dealerships that carry Nismo diffs may also be able to get service parts for you if you ever need them. Check with your dealer on that one...

KAAZ was straight-up super aggressive and super clunky. I remember seeing everyone at Drift Day events rolling around the parking lot with KAAZ diffs clunking SUPER hard, and it looked like some shat was about to break. A friend of mine has a 1.5-way KAAZ diff in his FC, and it's worked just fine for him at some events. $1000+ but the good thing is that you can get service parts here in the USA, like new clutch plates when you eventually wear them out.

Tomei was good. I drove a friend's car with a 2-way Tomei once. All I can say is that it didin't clunk as loud as the KAAZ diffs I've seen, and the locking was pretty aggressive/immediate. You used to be able to find a hookup for these brand new for about $700 or $800 if you knew the right guy, but I doubt anything like that exists anymore. Either that or I've just been out of the loop for too long.

Right now, I'm using a Cusco RS differential, and the locking is a lot more gradual (depending on throttle input) compared to the Tomei one I tried. I like it the best so far, and when it wears out, I will be most saddened. Price is ... I dunno... I bought this one used as well and has worked great for years.

The only real thing to look at if you want to be picky are the designs of the differential for things like initial torque. Every clutch-type diff has some sort of spring design on the inside that will set them apart from each other, from a cone-spring like the Cusco MZ (and i think Nismo) to a set of small coil springs like the Cusco RS.

In the end, get what you can get at a price that is acceptable. Everything I listed is WAY better than VLSD and WAY better than welded, both of which I've also ran on.

Anyways, my 2cents. Take from it what you will.
also ATS/Carbonetic, also Cusco MZ. OBX is a joke, you have to pay to play. If you are grip-oriented the s15 hlsd or the torsen made by quaife will work great.

basic rule of a 240. LSD, coilovers, bucket seat. get those 3 and become a better driver.

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #52
jacobzking
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
jacobzking is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i've picked up several j30 VLSDs over the last 10 years for about $100 or less. for the price its a HUGE improvement over stock. if you're car is stock, or just with bolt ons... spend $100 on a j30 diff and stick with that while you build up your car. you can always resell it and get your money back without a loss and buy something better in the future.

I will add to this thread that I am that 1% of people who have installed a j30 lsd on an s14 and my stock non-abs driveshaft IS too long. trying to find an ABS shaft this week. (or I can just get mine shortened for $75.
jacobzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #53
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
The Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideview_180sx View Post
OBX is a joke, you have to pay to play.
I would normally agree but people here and in the honda community have had success using them. There is a write-up on things you should do before installation (deburring and replacing shim stacks), but it is all very minor. It is just planetary gears and would likely be more reliable than a vlsd. With that said I'm still getting the S15 hlsd.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #54
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
welded diff all the way baby.