Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-11-2004, 07:24 AM   #31
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
brianglawson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to brianglawson Send a message via AIM to brianglawson Send a message via Yahoo to brianglawson
an american v8 ruins the characteristics of a nice japanese sports car. they dont rev high and scream(without oodles of work) they dont rev all that fast(without some more oodles) the really dont run that smooth, the big and gawky, and they are heavy. you want an american car go buy one, you want japanese, but any jap motor in it, nissan preferably, but so toyota motors are nice
Old 07-11-2004, 11:37 AM   #32
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

Send a message via ICQ to brianglawson Send a message via AIM to brianglawson Send a message via Yahoo to brianglawson
thats jsut wrong it looses its japanese characteristics with an american pushrod, chunk of iron.
put a jap motor in it, nisssan preferably, or just build a l28 they can produce mad power
if you want an american motor buy an american car
Old 07-11-2004, 04:05 PM   #33
ForceofWill

Trader Rating: (0)
ForceofWill is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't think so. And do you know how good a straight piped LS1 sounds coming from an old Z?
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:37 PM   #34
G_Fish240
Zilvia Addict

G_Fish240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to G_Fish240 Send a message via AIM to G_Fish240 Send a message via Yahoo to G_Fish240
I was thinking about a 240z but im afraid of rust!

MakotoS13: Spreading BS and being an ass on zilvia since June 2004
G_Fish240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:19 AM   #35
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

sorry for the double post back there my computer isnt letting me see like that 5 posts, so i thought the 1st one had messed up
Old 07-12-2004, 09:15 AM   #36
Steeles
Post Whore!

Steeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Steeles Send a message via Yahoo to Steeles
thats just dumb. the old Z only had a 7000 redline..oooh a whole 500 RPM. motorsport auto sell your mount kit that plants the Ls1 low and towards the firewall which actually brings the weight closer to the center of gravity than the straight six l26 so how has it affected handling? hmm more power equal the LS1 does NOT weigh a significant amount more than the old L26 and it sits lower and more towards the center of gravity. PLUS you can get crate motors parts etc from damn near anywhere service fromthe most backwoods country bumpkin mehanic in the world and get the motor with a factory warrenty. why wouldnt yuou put one in? cause its not JDM? thats about as dumb a thing as Ive ever heard.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:03 AM   #37
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

not because its not jdm, i would be happy with a built l28T actually but i want something twin cam, and a little more advanced, but in my personal opinion, a lt1-ls1-or just a plain old 350 do not fit in a sports car, they fit in muscle cars, id love to have a 71 ss 396 camaro, but i wouldnt want a 71 ss 396 240z, the z's are light, nimble SPORTS CARS, that need a sporty motor, not muscle cars, that scream in a straight line only, and rumble the earth on which it rests. the mood of the motor doesnt fit the manor of a z in my opinion. And i know someone is going to say the vette has an lt1 and its a sports car, but thats an opinion all on its own. i like new vettes, and i love new gtos, but they fit with a 350 well, for their namesake, that is the most perfect motor for them, but they are not sports cars in my opinion they are whats left of the muscle car era, and may they live on not to mention where can you get a smooth transmission like a jap tranny. Anyone ever heard this about american trannies, "Grind And Go" mustang getrags(same as a supra basically) arent to bad, but a world class t5 chevy or a tremec chevy or t56 is awful in my opinion, very sloppy boxes. but i suppose you could go automatic and kill it a little more....

p.s. i am in no way trying to start a war, i am expressing my opinion, i like muscle cars with americna v8's but they dont belong in a sports car. dont turn this into a flame war, just have an aggressive debate, if anyone cares to reply.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:24 AM   #38
Zemus
Nissanaholic!

Zemus is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Zemus
If I had to throw a V8 in a Z, Id throw in a Z28 302 (Thats right I said a CHEVY 302) from the 68-69 Camero Z28. Redline is near 9k or somthing crazy like that, along with about close to 400HP stock, bascily a race motor. Also im sure it weights less than a strait 6 iron block
Zemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:04 AM   #39
bkfill
Zilvia Junkie

bkfill is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianglawson
an american v8 ruins the characteristics of a nice japanese sports car. they dont rev high and scream(without oodles of work) they dont rev all that fast(without some more oodles) the really dont run that smooth, the big and gawky, and they are heavy. you want an american car go buy one, you want japanese, but any jap motor in it, nissan preferably, but so toyota motors are nice
k blah blah blah blah blah blah
LS1s are lighter then a 13B Rotory and those motors are small
it doesn't ruin anything, have you ever heard a real nice set of cams?
that glug glug glug sound sounds so sweet man, a REAL set of cams sound like
potat, potat, potat, potat, potat, potat, potat, potat

high hp the sound of the car will never sound smooth
Old 07-12-2004, 11:08 AM   #40
bkfill
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeles
thats just dumb. the old Z only had a 7000 redline..oooh a whole 500 RPM. motorsport auto sell your mount kit that plants the Ls1 low and towards the firewall which actually brings the weight closer to the center of gravity than the straight six l26 so how has it affected handling? hmm more power equal the LS1 does NOT weigh a significant amount more than the old L26 and it sits lower and more towards the center of gravity. PLUS you can get crate motors parts etc from damn near anywhere service fromthe most backwoods country bumpkin mehanic in the world and get the motor with a factory warrenty. why wouldnt yuou put one in? cause its not JDM? thats about as dumb a thing as Ive ever heard.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2004, 11:33 AM   #41
Grant
Premium Member

Grant has a spectacular aura aboutGrant has a spectacular aura aboutGrant has a spectacular aura aboutGrant has a spectacular aura aboutGrant has a spectacular aura aboutGrant has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Grant Send a message via MSN to Grant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbandit
yea thats pimp.
But turbocharge the LS-1 and spend the same amount of $ and you can get the same thing.
Its just that the LS1 will be missing one thing... the dual overhead cams lol

sooo does that mean ya have to use an LT-5?
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 12:54 PM   #42
Steeles
Post Whore!

Steeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Steeles Send a message via Yahoo to Steeles
Quote:
not because its not jdm, i would be happy with a built l28T actually but i want something twin cam, and a little more advanced, but in my personal opinion, a lt1-ls1-or just a plain old 350 do not fit in a sports car, they fit in muscle cars, id love to have a 71 ss 396 camaro, but i wouldnt want a 71 ss 396 240z, the z's are light, nimble SPORTS CARS, that need a sporty motor, not muscle cars, that scream in a straight line only, and rumble the earth on which it rests. the mood of the motor doesnt fit the manor of a z in my opinion. And i know someone is going to say the vette has an lt1 and its a sports car, but thats an opinion all on its own. i like new vettes, and i love new gtos, but they fit with a 350 well, for their namesake, that is the most perfect motor for them, but they are not sports cars in my opinion they are whats left of the muscle car era, and may they live on not to mention where can you get a smooth transmission like a jap tranny. Anyone ever heard this about american trannies, "Grind And Go" mustang getrags(same as a supra basically) arent to bad, but a world class t5 chevy or a tremec chevy or t56 is awful in my opinion, very sloppy boxes. but i suppose you could go automatic and kill it a little more....

p.s. i am in no way trying to start a war, i am expressing my opinion, i like muscle cars with americna v8's but they dont belong in a sports car. dont turn this into a flame war, just have an aggressive debate, if anyone cares to reply.
hehe I love aggressive debates havernt you noticed? its just to me the engine dosent make it a sports car. I consider muscle cars sports cars. alot of people dont consider anything with 4 cyl a sports car. insurance companies didnt consider the pontiac fiero a sports car. its all semantics. if it goes fast handles great I dont see a problem with it no matter what the combonation. some of the greatest sports cars in history came about because someone had the idea that "hey I like this chassis but the engines lame, lets shove something bigger in there!" its the natural progression of sports cars. the Z went from a 2.4l I6 to a 2.6 to a 2.8 to a 3.0l V6 to a 3.5l...
Old 07-13-2004, 08:28 AM   #43
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

yeah, but dont forget the 2.0 litre l series though, they had a L20 straight 6, and an l20 inline 4(L20b) very very early vin z's had em...and then theres the s20 too, and the l28 with crossflow heads but back to main discussion, to me the sound of straight sixes, and inlin 4's, and almost any euro motor, has that nice metallic sound, mostly from the head....there really isnt any american motor that gives ME the same sensation of WOW MAN(tommy chong style) like some good metallic snarl. An american v8 is cool, in muscle to me, the rumble, scattered idle, and roar on the throttle just fits the big, overbearing cars they adorn.
STEELES: a sports car can have any engine to me, but there is a big difference between say a BENZ V8 and a CHHEVY V8, or a FERRARI V8 form a modena, but hell, frankly give me a 88 porsche Twin Turbo, and call it a day, or a nice V12 Jaguar XKE Coupe but hell i really like old triumph TR3's i llike em all, but im more of a sports guy that can go through the twisties, not someone that just likes goin in a straight line, and i like smooth metallic sounding motors, with alot of head noise, not rumbling roaring, peices of detroit iron, but i woukl llike to have at least one muscle car one day, GTO baby THE JUDGE, few others i like, not to mention a 74 caddy hearse with a ZZ502 would be the hotness, its all in peoples personal preference
Old 07-13-2004, 08:31 AM   #44
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

zemus, a chevy 302, honestly i think was only around in 67 alone, but man were they beasts, especially when yenko got a hold of a few of them, my friends father ran across one by complete accident, and ran the vins, through chevy, it was a 67 302 from a camaro, tuned by yenko he got aroun 4k for BARE block with heads,
Old 07-13-2004, 08:35 AM   #45
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

just did some reading they were around all three years no wonder they revved high 4:00 inch bore 3:00 inch stroke talkin about oversquare
Old 07-13-2004, 03:13 PM   #46
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
i've seen really clean v8 swaps in Z's. They're fucking sweet.

but the rotary community loves 240z's. Whos' to blame them? with a really small powerplant that sits so low and so far back?

13B streetport + 240Z = FUN
Old 07-13-2004, 03:30 PM   #47
Zemus
Nissanaholic!

Zemus is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Zemus
Quote:
zemus, a chevy 302, honestly i think was only around in 67 alone, but man were they beasts, especially when yenko got a hold of a few of them, my friends father ran across one by complete accident, and ran the vins, through chevy, it was a 67 302 from a camaro, tuned by yenko he got aroun 4k for BARE block with heads,
If it was 67 it was a 1968 Modle and made in 67 cuz they only made them for 2 years 68-69.

And yes, id throw a 13B in their, the REV, yum
Zemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:46 AM   #48
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemus
If it was 67 it was a 1968 Modle and made in 67 cuz they only made them for 2 years 68-69.
Technically you are right,technically your wrong. They sold the camaro,model year 1967 with the 302 engine;it was at the latter part of the year.

It was called the 'MO302' wich nobody wanted at the time b/c nobody wanted small cubes(not knowing of course) and therefore it was hardly sold at all that year. The next year the name was then changed to "DZ302" and by that time the word had started to get out...

The 302 was also tuned by Copo(chevys tuning arm of old,kinda like the TRD back then.) and Berger who tuned/built camaros all the way until their untimely death.
Ghettokracker71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:52 AM   #49
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
Either way,I still agree with Brian on keeping it Japenese. I'd rather see a 13B in there than an LS-1. Yes,the LS-1 is badass,but if you want an LS-1 retro sports car than buy a 195_ /196_ Corvette and drop it in there
Old 07-14-2004, 02:13 PM   #50
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

mo302 was what it had on it sounds like you know them its funny though the guy that got it is a ford head and some guy just sold him a 302, and he was tearing it apart, and he said it looked a hell of alot like a 350, so he looked at it a lil and said he got jipped and bought a 350 when someone told him it was a 302(bought sight unseen for one of his many projects) but the guy didnt say it was a ford 302 he paid like 100$ for the motor too some guy lost alot of money
Old 07-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #51
WongFeiHung
Zilvia Member

WongFeiHung is an unknown quantity at this point
All an engine does is put power to the wheels, who cares what country the engine was made/engineered in...

www.projectnissan.com
WongFeiHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:17 PM   #52
focused
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (2)
focused is a jewel in the roughfocused is a jewel in the roughfocused is a jewel in the roughfocused is a jewel in the roughfocused is a jewel in the roughfocused is a jewel in the roughfocused is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to focused
Quote:
in my personal opinion, a lt1-ls1-or just a plain old 350 do not fit in a sports car, they fit in muscle cars

Isn't a sports car just something that has well rounded; power, braking, and cornering?

All this could be achieved with an LT1.

But if we want to get into it, almost anything, with enough money can be fall into that category.
focused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:37 PM   #53
bkfill
Zilvia Junkie

you guys have the wrong idea about rotory man, well one day if you guys do try rotory you'll understand, why would people even start to think about putting v8s in rx7s
well lots of reason but theres 1 more big reason, its more reliable, and man im always paranoid about the apex seals going
and don't listen to some rotory people all they do is have rotory pride, blah blah blah it has no limit to reving
the next time you get in a rotory do me a favor and redline it and tell me where that needle stops at
and when they tell u helicopters use it thats why its so good, tell them helicopters always get checked up
and the blah blah blah about the 3 main moving parts well maybe thats a cool part

if i find the post about rotorys in the forums i'll come back and put it here
Old 07-14-2004, 08:47 PM   #54
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Quote:
mo302 was what it had on it sounds like you know them its funny though the guy that got it is a ford head and some guy just sold him a 302, and he was tearing it apart, and he said it looked a hell of alot like a 350, so he looked at it a lil and said he got jipped and bought a 350 when someone told him it was a 302(bought sight unseen for one of his many projects) but the guy didnt say it was a ford 302 he paid like 100$ for the motor too some guy lost alot of money
Wow. Well yeah,ford is more famous among young car lovers for having the 302....How do you think they got the idea for it? When they first made it,they litterally posted Chevys MO/DZ302 spec sheet on the wall and went at it

Yes,I used to study chevys way to much