Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
timtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to timtiminy
aluminum block ka24de

Has anyone thought of the possibility of making a ka24de block from cast aluminum?? is it possible on a proffesional manufacturing level? i like the idea cause of the amount of weight it would save. what are the new ka blocks on the new nissan truck made of, still iron? maybe this could be a possible outsorce to china.
timtiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
CaoBoY
Zilvia Addict

CaoBoY is making a name for him/her selfCaoBoY is making a name for him/her self
why? cast iron blocks are better. 2jzgte blocks are cast iron...how often do you hear about them blowing up? just get forged pistons/rods for the block and you are good to go. you talking about losing some pounds for like 10th's of a second. its not going to help much, if any.
CaoBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
SpeedMonkeyInc
Zilvia FREAK!

SpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond repute
If you really want a lightweight aluminum engine just by an SR. Of course its possible to manufacture the block, but I am guessing it would be cost prohibitive.
SpeedMonkeyInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
yeah the cost of R&D to produce just one cast aluminum block would be outrageous. You'd have to manufacture and sell thousands of them before you broke even. The cost/benefit ratio is horrible.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
tre
Zilvia Junkie

tre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enough
SR's aren't that much lighter
Old 06-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Why would you want to weaken the integrity of the engine?

silly silly man
Old 06-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #7
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
SR's aren't that much lighter

Yeah they are.
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #8
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
Generally when you hear of engine failures, how often is it the block failing?....Unless he is wanting a 2000hp motor he is probably ok. Hell, 2000hp aluminium motors do exist.
The new motors in the Fronteir is the qr25, open deck all aluminium, that'd be a better option then trying to have your own blocks manufactured for a inferior engine.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
REDSH!FT
Zilvia Junkie

REDSH!FT is on a distinguished road
More importantly, how often are blocks the ONLY thing failing...

Build/Tune your setup properly and it won't be a problem
REDSH!FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #10
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
alluminum billet or forged crank would be ideal to me for the KA......
Old 06-08-2006, 01:46 AM   #11
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

timtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the rough
just an idea, cause i know dart makes the blocks for hondas...has anyone heard of the qr25 being swapped into the 240? i am interested in it.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:03 AM   #12
that180guy
Zilvia Addict

that180guy is making a name for him/her selfthat180guy is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to that180guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1sm0r
Yeah they are.
and ppl said that about H22s and K20s in honda ceebics back in the day :P

Part of the Elite Shasta Speed Stars
RIP......05-09-03....*sniff sniff
the beast nears completion.....

YOU LOOK AND U BUY STUFF !!!!!
that180guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:04 AM   #13
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
One of the reasons so much hp can be sustained on a kat is because its a cast iron block.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:06 AM   #14
1Via!
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1Via!
I want a cast cheddar cheese KA block.
1Via! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:43 AM   #15
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
A Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to A Spec Products
how come 240 owners are weight conscious like nicole ritchie

i want helium filled wheels in 4 lug that are $100 each

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
AME Wheels, Advan, ARC, Gram Lights, Nardi, Personal, Recaro, Works Bell, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, 5Zigen, & more!
626.618.1100 x 103 / aim: aspectuan
Advertiser's Specials! Read / Give Feedback! Please Rate Us!
A Spec Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:53 AM   #16
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
is she still on the yayo? id still bone her tho shes LAfabulous... lol SOCAL CHICKS THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME.....
Old 06-08-2006, 04:39 AM   #17
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Yah for reals.. if 240 owners are sooooo concerned.. maybe their fat asses should just lose some weight instead.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #18
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
I have actually still yet to hear of an sr putting a rod through the block but have seen several KA's that have done so in person. Not that it doesnt happen, but there isnt exactly a shortage of sr's in this area either.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #19
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

i just want a more balanced car...im not too weight conscious i just like it in the right areas...as for me and loosing wieght. haha i've been trying to gain some. i weigh about 150 so no real concern there. Im sure it could be done but the cost of R&D would be much and the ka24de doesnt have the same poularity as the b18c engines that dart reproduces..plus the cost of the block alone would be a sr swap practically. so there was never a ka24de aluminum block produced by nissan for any of their vehicles..not even the latest nissan trucks? i wouldnt mind a qr25de but it seems like noone has done it and the cost would be high. i cant do a sr swap legally, and i want to stay legal so i'm trying to figure some options which are extremely scarce
Old 06-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #20
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

bufka......< figure that out.....
Old 06-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #21
wootwoot
Post Whore!

Holy hell man. You think having a custom aluminium block would be cheaper then doing a qr swap?? The qr swap could be done legally
Old 06-08-2006, 06:46 PM   #22
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
LS1 = lighter than a KA and COULD be made street legal. Not everyone's favorite swap, just another option if you are really bent on saving some weight in the engine department.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #23
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
QR swap eh? Hmm...I'd still love to see this done.Geuss you'd have to use a RWD TRUCK MOTOR lol
Ghettokracker71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #24
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71
QR swap eh? Hmm...I'd still love to see this done.Geuss you'd have to use a RWD TRUCK MOTOR lol

basically almost the same thing.... and a 2.5.. but what ever..... finding a rwd tranny would be a big problem unless the KA bolts up somehow... id rather go SR or...stick with the KA..or if i had the money LS1. weight isnt that much a factor....
Old 06-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #25
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
Wait wtf did the QR20DE and QR20DD come in????????? Specs/info please?

That kind of defeats the purpose of getting a qr though?
Ghettokracker71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #26
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

i heard the ls1 is a lighter engine but with the tranny and engine combo it actually weights a little more, and i'm in cali so it actually wont be legal cause it has to be from the same manufacture. in order for it to be legal. The QR swap seems feasable but expensive unless i got it out of a wrecking yard and they sold it for cheap. i hear that the QR from the frontier has the rwd tranny, if we were to use the altima fwd QR25de.. im sure there sould have to be some custom fabbing for all of it to work, but it would definately be different.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #27
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

this is from a datsun 1200 website...suposedly its been swapped into a 1200.
QR25DE 2.5 liter Nissan/Infiniti engine. Plusses: 13% lighter than SR20DE, 20% lighter than KA24DE. 30mm shorter than SR20, It also has twin, counterrotating balance shafts so it should be a nice smooth engine. The drive-by-wire throttle body should make for easy swap (no throttle linkage to
worry about).
Old 06-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #28
CaoBoY
Zilvia Addict

CaoBoY is making a name for him/her selfCaoBoY is making a name for him/her self
qr wont be legal, because you arent using the stock header, or carb approved header. just stick with the ka24de. there's no point in trying to save weight when you run boost, it will compensate. if you do not run boost, it will still be good all motor. you keep mentioning honda motors....did you come from the honda crowd? what is your reason for swapping motors?
CaoBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:47 PM   #29
Realchaos1
Zilvia Member

Realchaos1 is a well-known jackass
Send a message via MSN to Realchaos1
QR's are fwd engines... Correct me if im wrong
Realchaos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #30
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Did you read? He thinks the QR from the frontier has a RWD tranny