Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-01-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
Prosport Gauge Review (pics)

I decided to pick up a set of the prosport gauges after seeing a thread on here a couple weeks back, the prices are good, the gauges look good, and I didnt hear anything like "megans are better" so why not.

For ~ $150 shipped I got 3 gauges, boost, fuel pressure, and oil pressure, all electronic. They came on friday afternoon, so of course I spent all friday night installing them:

Boost gauge with remote sender:

I decided to mount the boost sensor on the passenger strut tower to minimize routing of vacuum lines

First problem, I broke half of the senders plastic off where you can bolt it down. The plastic is cheap and easily cracks, I almost broke the other side which would make it basically unmountable, be careful. You can make it out in the picture:

Next, I had to basically make my own harness for all 3 gauges and run a few feet of wire from the sensors to the dash:

Thats a bit longer than it ended up being but I was too lazy to measure and I have tons of wire. This wasn't a big deal really, but it does take much longer to install these gauges because of it, I know gauges like Defi come with the harness that plugs right into the sensor, but for $50 a gauge you can't complain here. Each gauge harness is about 2' and should reach the dash easily:

So far, besides the cheap plastic on the boost sensor the only other "wtf" was the size of the senders:

These things are beefy, I guess it doesn't matter as long as they work right? Both the oil and fuel pressure senders were the same size.

I picked up a dual ATI pod for the steering wheel

The fuel/oil are maxed there because I didnt have the sensors hooked up, just testing power/illumination.

I wired mine for white with the headlights off, and amber with them on (to somewhat match my cluster led's at night). You can have it the opposite, or white all the time/amber all the time based on wiring. Sorry the pics are blurry but you get the idea

Lights off:

Lights on:

Problem #3, the boost gauge needle is off, just under 0 with the car off, I literally tap my gauge and moves to 0 which is kind of :ghey: but again, it was $50 so I can suck it up.

Problem #4 ,The gauges are smoked so they appear black when theres no power going to them, this becomes a problem during the day, the gauges at night are bright and extremely easy to read, but during the day with direct sunlight on it was pretty difficult due to glare on the smoked lens (esp for the boost gauge which is on the a-pillar). The bezel provided with the gauges can help somewhat (also prevents reflection on the windshield at night) however the ATI pod is not deep enough, the gauges stick out slightly and the bezels are held in place by pushing the gauge up against the pod, so that wont work here without cutting the back of the pod out, I will probably do this.

Heres a video of them in action (sort of, didnt have the fuel/oil senders hooked up)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrZXIWLtBzo

All in all I would say the gauges are worth the price, and would recommend them for an alternative to autometer for cheap gauges, they look MUCH nicer. but hey, you get what you pay for, if you can't deal with the issues get some Defi's or maybe try out the new Circuit Sports series and write a review =]

And a bonus shot of the AFC Neo (no pics of install but im sure you have all seen it before):

I know generally SAFC's are frowned upon but I was running a bit lean up top with a rom tune and wanted to be able to tweak it on the dyno. Next thread expect a dyno and some video of my car with the tomei expreme manifold, this thing rocks! (gt28rs 15psi @ 3000rpm =])
Old 04-01-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
240silvia
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
240silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240silvia
my car is actually lined with these things, lol. My coupe and my vert. I like them. And for the price/warranty, I think they are great. I'd say +1 for ProSport.
240silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
inertiaticism
Zilvia Junkie

inertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond repute
If they are anything like Megan gauges, they fucking suck.
I've got a Megan water temp gauge and it pisses me off to no end since it is unreadably dim during the day.
Even though they are off-brand parts also, STRi gauges are much, much more readable and not as shitty as Megans.
Next time I'm just going to get something good instead of wasting my money.
inertiaticism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:34 AM   #4
yokotas13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
yeah i have them too

They are nothing like Megan
megan is shit
yokotas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:28 AM   #5
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
Megan gauges are a complete and total waste of time and money

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
Johny5
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johny5
apparantly these are too...

boost gauges that have uncentered needles are usually total crap, autometer name or not. thanks for the review, was about to buy their boost gauge, not anymore!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny5
apparantly these are too...

boost gauges that have uncentered needles are usually total crap, autometer name or not. thanks for the review, was about to buy their boost gauge, not anymore!
honestly thats really the only thing that bothered me, I sent them an email about it but i'd be surprised if I got a response.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #8
Quigs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
Quigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
+1 for a good review. I'm sure you helped a lot of people out who were looking into the ProSports. I personally wouldn't have tried it, but I'm glad they work out for you.

STRi ftw!
Quigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
DrtyRat
Nissanaholic!

DrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by statik
.....however the ATI pod is not deep enough, the gauges stick out slightly and the bezels are held in place by pushing the gauge up against the pod, so that wont work here without cutting the back of the pod out, I will probably do this.
I had the same prob. w/my ATI pod and had to cut out the back...
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...hlight=ati+pod

Quote:
America... Too soft to place a killer in a well deserved tomb, But brave enough to kill a baby before he leaves the womb
DrtyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #10
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyRat
I had the same prob. w/my ATI pod and had to cut out the back...
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...hlight=ati+pod
Ah yes, this will require a tad more cutting, basically the gauge needs to stick out the back =], im not sure what gauges ATI tests their stuff with but it doesn't seem like many gauges would fit (esp mechnical like your boost) without modification, oh well.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:49 AM   #11
05civse
Leaky Injector

05civse is making a name for him/her self05civse is making a name for him/her self
the "premium" prosport gauges are like 1/4 as deep as the normal ones so they would fit. also, the peak function and warn thing are awsome. I know you had the cash for the better ones (looks at second pic )!!!
05civse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:49 PM   #12
b4racing
Leaky Injector

b4racing is just really niceb4racing is just really niceb4racing is just really niceb4racing is just really niceb4racing is just really niceb4racing is just really niceb4racing is just really niceb4racing is just really niceb4racing is just really nice
i have megans and they rock. Best bang for the buck
b4racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
^ they fucking blow just like the rest of megans shit
Old 04-30-2007, 12:44 AM   #14
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4racing View Post
i have megans and they rock. Best bang for the buck
Megan gauges are horrible. I got them for free from a shop that was going out of business, so I was fortunate to not waste a single penny on that garbage.
Here's an unbiased review (most reviews are from people who don't wanna feel bad about buying shit, so they say all the positives).

Here we go.

1. LED is weak, the stock gauge cluster is brighter than the gauges at night.
2. Cheap smoked lens reflects sunlight like a mirror and its absolutely impossible to read during the day. I emailed Phase2 regarding this issue and they say most of their customers have complained about the samething.
3. The sensors that come with them (specifically the oil pressure sender) does not fit on our cars, so you need to buy a sender from autometer (what I did) or some other bullshit.
4. Once the sensor was installed, the readings were totally inaccurate. The Megan oil pressure gauge read 40-80psi (Defi read 20-100psi depending on where my rpm was).
5. The gauge housings are plastic cheap shit that scratches so easily.
6. I would rather run no gauge than be fooled by Megan gauges.
7. The water temp gauge read about 20degrees off compared to Defi's.
8. Did I mention they were garbage?

Seriously guys, if you're cheap and you want gauges, go with Autometer or something that actually has a reputation. I'm not saying they're good, but they're infinetly better than Megans/Circuit Sports bullshit.
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:37 AM   #15
RedStage
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
RedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Excellent thread, thanks for posting the review.
Have been torn between the Prosports and STRi's.
Gotta wait til the credit card cools off before I make a purchase on either though.

RedStage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #16
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStage View Post
Excellent thread, thanks for posting the review.
Have been torn between the Prosports and STRi's.
Gotta wait til the credit card cools off before I make a purchase on either though.
get the X line STRi, they are in the basic prosport price range and IMO better quality
Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #17
azndoc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
azndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to azndoc
Good review I thought.

I wasnt' planning on getting these gauges but I enjoy reading your review though.

You knew that these weren't the most expensive gauges and you get what you paid for. You sucked it up and did what you had to do in order to make them work.

Good job, and nice of you to inform everyone with this review.
azndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #18
bloodangels13
Zilvia Junkie

bloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to bloodangels13
I have the prosport boost guage also and it works great... i have mine wired the same way white with ignition on and amber when lights are turned on.... mine lights up perfect in either color during day driving and reads perfect... the only thing is my sender looks so much better then the one you got... ill take pics of guage placement and sender in a bit with my shitty camera phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
This post was brought to you by the number: Rum
And by the letter: Go Fuck Yourself
And also by viewers like you.
bloodangels13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #19
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
+rep for a review. but i've gotta say, i think i'd rather spend a tiny bit extra and go with autometer.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #20
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
these guages are awesome, i have them in my car too..!
+1 for the review since i didnt take pics of mine..
Recommended!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #21
nismostate
Banned from the Marketplace

nismostate is on the path to ruinnismostate is on the path to ruinnismostate is on the path to ruin
Send a message via AIM to nismostate
thinking about getting 4 of these gauges. premium boost, oil pressure, water temp, and tach. anymore reviews on this? i cant seem to find many reviews on STRi's.
nismostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #22
yokotas13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
ugh
i have 4 gauges
they are all off scale and shit

whatever they work
yokotas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #23
kyoru
Zilvia Addict

kyoru is close to perfectionkyoru is close to perfectionkyoru is close to perfectionkyoru is close to perfectionkyoru is close to perfectionkyoru is close to perfectionkyoru is close to perfectionkyoru is close to perfectionkyoru is close to perfectionkyoru is close to perfectionkyoru is close to perfection
nice gauges and nice install

kyoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #24
nismostate
Banned from the Marketplace

nismostate is on the path to ruinnismostate is on the path to ruinnismostate is on the path to ruin
Send a message via AIM to nismostate
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokotas13 View Post
ugh
i have 4 gauges
they are all off scale and shit

whatever they work
sounds like the gauges are crap after 1 yr?
nismostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #25
TanaMU
Zilvia Member

TanaMU will become famous soon enoughTanaMU will become famous soon enoughTanaMU will become famous soon enoughTanaMU will become famous soon enough

Dude is that a model m keyboard? That's fucking awesome! I'm typing on one right now..
TanaMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #26
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
I have the prosport water temp.

Works fine, hook up was easy.

I also have defi boost / fuel pressure, and then aem uego wideband.

None of my gauges match.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #27
ecuastyle84
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
ecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ecuastyle84
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismostate View Post
thinking about getting 4 of these gauges. premium boost, oil pressure, water temp, and tach. anymore reviews on this? i cant seem to find many reviews on STRi's.
i have stri's(boost,oil pressure, and fuel pressure) in my coupe and i like them alot...+rep for them
ecuastyle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #28
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I have the water temp, oil pressure, and boost gauge. I got a mechanical boost gauge and it reads fine. I installed mine w/ the hoods that come with them and have no problems at all reading in the day time. I have them set to white all the time.

The electric gauges sweep when you start them...I don't have the oil or the water temp hooked up yet...and yeah that oil pressure sending unit is freaking huge!:

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #29
J90lude
Zilvia Junkie

J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude J90lude
Good Write up!! Prosport always has good gauges.
J90lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #30
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
I have AC Autotechnic, which look very similar to these Prosports. I only have oil pressure (elec) and boost (mechanical). I've been very pleased with them, except for the daytime legibility, which seems to be the norm with smoked gauges.

I also have a big oil pressure sender - maybe that's normal too. I just mounted it to my Greddy oil relocation block, no biggie.